TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Nacho Libre

Anybody?

Probably going tomorrow afternoon to check it out and although the reviews are bad - it seems to be the type of movie that's right up my alley. Anybody get a chance to see it yet?

Its one step above Rob Schneider and David Spade movies which is not a bad thing considering everybody here enjoys campy b-movies so I shall be the 1st to state that it is a 5 star movie.

I didn't like it. They played it up as wrestling was real, that wrestlers got good pay no matter what, and there were even rounds in one of the matches.

I think my love/knowledge made me like this less.

And I don't know this Hess guy, the director. I don't like his style at all. It didn't work with ND and it didn't work with this movie. I know Mike White co-wrote it, but I didn't see any Mike White work with this. All of his other stuff (Freaks & Geeks episodes, Orange County, School of Rock etc) were so much better.

Why waste money on the movie when you already had your mind set that it was going to suck? Embrace the cheese and campy comedy stylings of Jack Black and tell yourself that it's El Dandy working the matches.

Did I ever say that I went going in thinking it was going to suck? No, I thought it was going to be great because of Black and White. But I ended up not liking it at all.

I didn't like it. They played it up as wrestling was real, that wrestlers got good pay no matter what, and there were even rounds in one of the matches.

a] It's a comedy movie blurring the line between fantasy and reality - of COURSE Lucha Libre is going to be portrayed as real. b] As for the round system, I take it you've never seen old school lucha, then?

I don't feel like rehashing my thoughts, so here they are from another board:

I've never seriously considered walking out of a movie before. Hated some, sure, but never have I gotten to the point where I was ready to just hop over to another movie. Just a terrible piece of junk. And this is coming from a Jack Black, Napoleon Dynamite, offbeat comedy fan.

Libre depends on appealing to the lowest common denominator. There's slapstick and lowbrow humor. Both can be funny when used properly. Neither really is here. I think I laughed two or three times and none of them came from the asinine sight gags and lowbrow scenarios. Jack Black farted; hilarious. Oh, a corn stalk stuck in a guy's eye; gold! Poo smeared across the face; classic! Ugh.

As disappointed as I was with the movie (which is saying something, because I had NO expectations for it going in), I was more rattled by the audience lapping this trash up. Call me high-handed if you must, but it's incredible what makes some people laugh.

Total waste of a night and had I actually paid for my ticket, I probably would've jumped to another theater.

--------------------

I wanted to like it, but it just wouldn't let me. The appeal of Napoleon Dynamite was how off-beat its characters were. We didn't know a lot about them, but they were so odd that we sort of embraced their quirkiness. The characters in Nacho Libre are hollow and uninteresting. The awkward silences and half-baked scenes that made Napoleon work just don't gel here.

The previews look pretty lame.

And I had a similar experience with the "unwashed masses" laughing at stupid sight gags (a bull tossed him into the air with his horns--total classic~!) during a preview of the film prior to X-Men.

And I had a similar experience with the "unwashed masses" laughing at stupid sight gags (a bull tossed him into the air with his horns--total classic~!) during a preview of the film prior to X-Men.

I had a similar experience prior to X3. In the preview when the guy did that BUTT-scrunch thing, a few of the audience gasped, while the rest laughed like it was the funniest thing ever. I'll bet it was these same people who thought 'I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!' was the best line of the film. :firing:

Most of the reviews I've seen are saying OMG raycist~! A couple were wise to the old Santo and Blue Demon movies and saw it as an homage.

That being said, I thought the preview looked really funny, but a lot of people are saying that all the best jokes are contained in the preview.

I'll probably see a matinee tomorrow.

EDIT: If he had said OH IT'S THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH and I got a BITCH WITH ME! it would haver been the best thing ever.

I had a similar experience prior to X3. In the preview when the guy did that BUTT-scrunch thing, a few of the audience gasped, while the rest laughed like it was the funniest thing ever. I'll bet it was these same people who thought 'I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!' was the best line of the film. :firing:

Wrong. I thought it was funny and hated the stupid Juggernaut reference.

"Unwashed masses?" Get over yourself, Smitty. I didn't realize you people were such fucking comedy snobs.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Jack Black farted; hilarious. Oh, a corn stalk stuck in a guy's eye; gold! Poo smeared across the face; classic! Ugh.

Those were all hilarious. High brow comedy like Curb Your Enthusiasm is good, but there's nothing wrong with low brow comedy either. Fart.

I...spit on your offer

I... spit on your spit

I piss on your spit!

I shit on your piss!

I fart on your shit!

eeeeeeehhh! We are friends again.

Toilet humor has its place....

My heart.

Wrong. I thought it was funny and hated the stupid Juggernaut reference.

"Unwashed masses?" Get over yourself, Smitty. I didn't realize you people were such fucking comedy snobs.

Hehe. I was just joking there. I'm usually not that picky about comedy, the previews just didn't seem very funny to me at all. And I liked Napoleon Dynamite and pretty much everything Jack Black has done in the past.

a] It's a comedy movie blurring the line between fantasy and reality - of COURSE Lucha Libre is going to be portrayed as real. b] As for the round system, I take it you've never seen old school lucha, then?

No, I haven't seen any old Lucha matches.

And the movie still wasn't that funny. But I bet it will be one of these movies that I'll turn on next year on HBO and I'll laugh then.

Yeah humor is subjective. I love how people try to say "That's not funny and you're obviously low class and not smart if you think it's funny."

It's just like beauty and all that other crap. It's in the ey of the beholder. One man's trash is another's treasure and all that crap.

My gf and my best friend hated it. I actually found it pretty funny. But not like knee slapping, tear jerking, can't breath funny.

Entertainment is entirely subjective. My girlfriend hates Return of the Living Dead and can't stand Zombie Apocalypse, two things I love. I find Iron Chef to be pretty lame and am sick to fucking death of Tool, two things she loves. Whatever.

I'll catch this on HBO as well. It'll prolly take me a few watches to truly appreciate, since I hated Napoleon Dynamite and didn't find it funny until the third time or so I watched it. I kept watching it because it was on when nothing else was, and I eventually liked it. Maybe Nacho will be the same.

Jack Black farted; hilarious. Oh, a corn stalk stuck in a guy's eye; gold! Poo smeared across the face; classic! Ugh.

Those were all hilarious. High brow comedy like Curb Your Enthusiasm is good, but there's nothing wrong with low brow comedy either. Fart.

Low brow humor's funny when done correctly. I didn't think that was the case for the most part here. Explain why rubbing shit across someone's face is funny.

So far this thread is reaffirming my decision not to see it. I am still waiting on a few reviews from friends that ARE seeing it, but I didn't really get a good vibe from the previews, it just didn't look that funny to me, so I doubt I will be seeing this before it hits HBO/Showtime.

The scary part was seeing muscle definition behind Jack Black's beer gut at the end. Best wrestling fantasy movie I've seen. I'll give it that.

As a whole, I went with a few friends and we all laughed together. It was what I wanted.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Low brow humor's funny when done correctly. I didn't think that was the case for the most part here. Explain why rubbing shit across someone's face is funny.

Shit comes from assholes. And it smells.

Guest Princess Leena

I went in with very low expectations after hearing it would be much like Napoleon Dynamite, but I was pleasantly surprised. Still didn't like many of the stupid jokes, but I at least giggled a few times. Decent fun, I can't complain.

I don't feel like rehashing my thoughts, so here they are from another board:

I've never seriously considered walking out of a movie before. Hated some, sure, but never have I gotten to the point where I was ready to just hop over to another movie. Just a terrible piece of junk. And this is coming from a Jack Black, Napoleon Dynamite, offbeat comedy fan.

Libre depends on appealing to the lowest common denominator. There's slapstick and lowbrow humor. Both can be funny when used properly. Neither really is here. I think I laughed two or three times and none of them came from the asinine sight gags and lowbrow scenarios. Jack Black farted; hilarious. Oh, a corn stalk stuck in a guy's eye; gold! Poo smeared across the face; classic! Ugh.

As disappointed as I was with the movie (which is saying something, because I had NO expectations for it going in), I was more rattled by the audience lapping this trash up. Call me high-handed if you must, but it's incredible what makes some people laugh.

Total waste of a night and had I actually paid for my ticket, I probably would've jumped to another theater.

--------------------

I wanted to like it, but it just wouldn't let me. The appeal of Napoleon Dynamite was how off-beat its characters were. We didn't know a lot about them, but they were so odd that we sort of embraced their quirkiness. The characters in Nacho Libre are hollow and uninteresting. The awkward silences and half-baked scenes that made Napoleon work just don't gel here.

Movie critics really need new material. Comments which basically say "<insert new movie> is the worst movie ever made" are really laughable.

I didn't say it was the worst movie ever made, but it was up there. I've seen countless movies in the theater and never have I considered leaving. I can't say that, anymore.

I thought it was a fun movie. Not the best movie by any stretch, but a good way to burn an afternoon. Worth a matinee or discount theatre admission price, but don't pay full for this.