Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. Seems like a cool guy.
  2. The March 89 Boston show next month features a commentary dream team - Tony Schivonie and Lord Alfred Hayes.
  3. I started watching wrestling in 1991 and even when I was 10 I couldn't stand to watch any matches on Coliseum Video involving Dino Bravo.
  4. Maybe he'll show up on the draft show. I hope they're using the Mortal Kombat Random Select graphic again this year. It can land on a question mark and out comes D`Lo!
  5. Hold the phone! Terrific Terry Taylor worked as one of the suits interviewing people in the crowd and pimping the 900 line!? Wasn't he just wrestling a few months prior to this? And how quickly was he replaced by Sweet Stan Lane? I don't recall Taylor in this role at all. Also, because mentioning things like this seems bother al, "WWF" slipped through the cracks during Hogan's pre-match promo. I could be mistaken but I think this might be the first PPV to have a now-standard graphic alerting the viewing audience they are watching a title match.
  6. Sold! I was watching No Way Out and noticed they kept Adamle's "WEDF" slip in after removing the Jeff Harvey slip from the Rumble, but he says it so quick before correcting himself it might not have been worth the effort. Or maybe they left it in to keep up his idiot character? I don't recall when this came out on DVD vs. when Adamle took over on ECW. I also watched this on 24/7 but that's usually just the DVD version when it comes to PPVs. On the subject of the "Jeff Harvey" slip from the Rumble, I was quite amused to see on the Jeff Hardy DVD that he actually WAS called Jeff Harvey on Superstars once.
  7. I watched the Roundtable last night - the idea that it's 60 minutes of bashing the worst characters is a bit misleading as they touch on SOME bad characters, then talk about bad characters who turned out good or bad moments and what have you. That said, it was quite the enjoyable program - I miss JR but I guess they needed Gene to talk about the Gooker. The bit where The Freebirds singing their new song in the 90s bombed was funny. Michaels Hayes also talks about how inappropriate the never aired segments involving Harlem Heat being in chains with Col. Parker was. Speaking of Hayes, he makes a quick comment about not liking the Dok Hendrix gimmick. I thought I read somewhere he actually picked that named (Dokken + Jimmy Hendrix = Dok Hendrix) and perhaps he did as I believe he clarified he didn't like being a P.S. Hayes caricature doing Slam Jam promos.
  8. Since both shows, as of next week, will be overlapping and are only a year apart I thought it might be appropriate to give both shows a combined thread. Tournament lovers are in for a treat as 24/7 presents the first two KOTR PPVs, each featuring big title matches. I'm watching KOTR 93 right now, which I've seen very few times but have some crazy love for, and look forward to recording to my VHS collection before it expires. Sometimes I tell people "I love that show!" and get told it's not very good... but screw them! It was a new PPV and I was EXCITED to be watching it live at home 15 years ago. It's also one of Bobby Heenan's last PPVs before his unfortunate departure to WCW and all three of Bret Hart's matches are good to great. Right now I'm watching Tatanka vs. Lex Luger and I'm actually extremely happy Cogeco came back with the PYBO's this month after a two month absence (which came after a 12 month absence), not paying close attention because I'm typing this, or these guys are actually working well together because I am digging this match. It's no Bret Hart vs. Razor Ramon, but I like it. So let's be like King and pose some questions for discussion. These will be KOTR 93 specific. When KOTR 94 is up next week I will pose some more questions specific to that PPV plus some overall questions about comparisons between the two. 1. Would you have booked the tournament (with it's current seeding) any differently? How so or why not? 2. Which tournament match is the best? 3. Which non-tournament match is the best? 4. Gene Okerlund being a shit disturber - is that awesome or what?
  9. Does anyone ever have a program show up under one name, then change to another? It's just one of those funny things I've noticed. For example, Sunflower lists Bockwinkel vs. Hansen as "Bock vs. Hansen", and that's how the show appeared in my menu last night at midnight. This morning it became "Nick Bockwinkel vs. Hansen". "Shawn Michaels" also turned into "The Shawn Michaels Story". Just a weird note. I don't really have much to say about Stampede wrestling to start a new thread about it, but I see why Ed Whalen gets the praise he does (his voice is very friendly and welcoming) and I love the graphics that introduce and end the show.
  10. Greed: Wrath: Lust: Gluttony:
  11. I didn't realize there was an issue going on but apparently an issue with The Simpsons voice cast has been resolved and they'll be going into work (or already went into work...) on Tuesday for $400,000 per episode... BUT due to some last minute snag Harry Shearer was not part of that deal and his status is unknown. That would suck if they lost him but I assume the deal will be worked out to include him.
  12. This is just following the branding of their big brother - 24/7 OD programs have a 24/7 watermark in the top right corner. And his name is Jack Korpela - don't be messin with him!
  13. I had no interest in this from the trailers but the commercials with Stephen Colbert playing a hockey announcer have me thinking it might be worth a Tuesday Movie Night trip.
  14. People do remember Jones is based on serial B movies and isn't really supposed to be realistic right?
  15. Perhaps cabbage is confused with a match that aired in May 93 on Superstars as a KOTR qualifier with the same result.
  16. I already forgot about this.
  17. The 1992 Bret / Taker match intrigues me. I'm sure it's a bunch of Taker not selling and not up to par with their 97 stuff but still, interesting.
  18. Terrific. I know it sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I am totally into inferior movies about 20 year old franchises letting me see what characters have been up to. That's why I loved Die Hard and all that sort of stuff. I think I would even enjoy Old Fat Ramis as Egon Spengler in GB3 now (but the video game with their voices is good enough for now).
  19. I quite enjoyed the show. I've seen some negative reviews for HBK/Batista but I was really into it, and Jericho's faux support of Michaels so Batista could beat him up some more was terrific. Orton getting a round of applause for getting up and walking to the back only to heel on the audience was also amazing. And who didn't love Mike Adamle name-dropping Gemini? I really enjoyed Melina vs. Beth too. I just love Beth though. Now that Taker "isn't an employee" of WWE, I guess he's all set to win the million dollars and buy his way back onto SmackDown.
  20. Love those Shorties. On one hand I'm hoping 98 doesn't make the cut because it's awful, but on another hand I hope it does because it's SO awful I need to see Warrior injuring himself within 30 seconds again. A looked over point of interest from that preview is the Arn Anderson retirement speech is intact - that's a non-compete week that they kept to highlight an important WCW event (the last non-compete weeks they showed focused on important WWE events in April/May 97).
  21. Well one of us has the freeze trap achievement... I'm out of town until Monday.
  22. You should recall it, you wrote it! Viral marketing at its best.
  23. I suck at it.
  24. I originally wanted to be TheRealDrVenkman just to make a point (though I'm sure many more online Venkman's are just as real) AND make a RGB reference while I was at it, but it was too long it seemed.
  25. I'm addicted to the concept of AP's and checking out what ones people on my friends list have that I don't. That didn't take long! I'm not going to go play awful games or do things that are ludicrously difficult just to get them, but I think the concept is "fun".
×
×
  • Create New...