Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. How about the Dynamite and Owen matches? Stampede and Mania X? I'm hoping this stuff is up by the time I get home.
  2. I remember when Salem the cat made appearances in all the TGIF shows, but I don't know if that was canon to Boy Meets World or not. Speaking of BMW, the episode where Minkus shows up and tells Corey and Shawn he was hanging out "over there" (off camera) the past few years was great, especially when he says "wait up Mr. Turner". Good ol meta humour.
  3. Cogeco here put up absolutely no content. Argh.
  4. Are you having the problem bob was describing? Did you inform WWE and your cable company?
  5. Why is someone from The Torch talking about shoddy journalism?
  6. The Big 3 aren't too keen on shows that do 2.7 ratings. I also don't understand how people DON'T have MNTV, but maybe this is because I'm in a market that has it. There were two channels - UPN and WB. They became "The CW" - did your other channel just stop broadcasting and leave the air? If they stayed independent maybe they'll air SmackDown somehow.
  7. Well both of them were trained by Scott D'amore and from what I gather he is not a fan of blading unless it's absolutely necessary, but I can't imagine any trainer saying cutting your head open is a great idea. I also noticed no one bothered to put up spoilers for the 2/28 Impact - surely SOMEONE here cares. I don't so I won't start it, but someone must... my only theory is the version I read on WO just had match results with nothing incredibly wacky, and it seems people here that watch Impact would prefer not to read the spoilers and those of us that read them do so to point out how awful Russo is.
  8. 5 more and it could be an Ultra Combo.
  9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MNTV "As of August 28, 2006 167 stations are affiliated with the new network, reaching approximately 106 million households and covering 96% of the US" Looking at that schedule, there's obvious room to put the show back on Thursday since right now it's just a movie night. http://www.mynetworktv.com/stations.php - Affiliate finder.
  10. If I'm remembering right, my live reaction to seeing Shawn do the crossface was disbelief followed by a bit of a laugh, followed by another laugh (in a good way) and applause when he followed up with the anklelock. I feel so dumb clapping at my TV watching wrestling (or even sports) but spots like that bring it out sometimes.
  11. MNTV in this market is what WB was and they don't seem to have very good production values (or an HD feed on my cable system), but that's pretty much irrelevant since I could watch it on The Score.
  12. Which was the point I was trying to make... I think it's just a guy speaking passionately about what he wishes. Unfortunatley the way he worded it (if that's all he was trying to say) was poor.
  13. They still haven't corrected the "No Mercy" part. Good work, Michael. I suspect this Colin person wins a match now that he's been signed.
  14. And he should be happy... If The Rock did put him over, he would've been moved to RAW in the draft lottery, and buried by HHH... I remember those were the plans. But The Rock found out about it, and declined the feud with Cena, IIRC... I don't remember any of that. Why would Rock - doing a one time shot in 2004 - be feuding / doing a Mania match with Cena? Cena was being pushed to the US title at that time. Is this confusion over Rock not jobbing to Booker T before WrestleMania XIX?
  15. Well that's the other thing - where does Cena define "contribute" as wrestle? Maybe he just wants Rock to show up and bury active wrestlers by putting them down in a comedy skit? One time a wrestler commented to me that he felt Bret Hart could have done more to help the Canadian indy scene - as this was 2005 he obviously wasn't expecting him to wrestle.
  16. Again I must stress, I do not think this is an issue of "Rock is OBLIGATED to contribute!", but an issue of "Anyone who says they still love the business should contribute" (and I'm not saying I agree with that thinking either - is Cena just thinking "while I had / have time to shoot ONE movie and be on TV, why doesn't he?" not realizing how busy Rock is?). I could be wrong and there could be some legitimate resentment going on, but that's my take on it. It's very easy to just assume the worst everytime someone opens their mouth.
  17. Though the final line of the snippet there is "he doesn't give anything back", I don't believe that's the issue. To me, it seems like Cena is just saying Rock shouldn't say he LOVES the wrestling business when he has no intentions of doing anything for it - and that's it. He's happy for his Hollywood success and doesn't fault him for retiring from wrestling, but as a fan himself, he's just frustrated. If The Rock had officially said "my heart is no longer with wrestling, I am focusing on acting but am thankful for what I was able to do" I get the impression John would be fine with it.
  18. It's kind of funny to note that Mania 2 and Mania IX are actually the two WrestleMania's that lost to WM XIX in last year's PYBO poll.
  19. They talk and sum up what happened, IIRC. I can't say I've watched Mania 2 and paid full attention since I received it for Christmas in 1998 though.
  20. I lost my time list again but I don't think that much is cut from the Coliseum version of Mania 2. I know Mania 1 - in full - is only just over 2 hours so I thought the same applied to 2. 3-7 are all well over 3 hours though.
  21. The new 24/7 Month starts late tomorrow so we might as well get the March thread open. Same DrVenkman formula as usual: WWE.com summary followed by me breaking down the 5 week schedule provided by Sunflower, researching relevant info about the shows, then having people ask "what's on 24/7 this week?" or some variation of it despite it all being in post 1. Good times. Week 1 - February 27th - March 4th: Legends: Hall of Fame - Bret Hart. Bret Hart vs. Dynamite Kid Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Undertaker: 15-0 (Part 1) Big Ones: WrestleMania 2: Hot off the heels of the hype from TNT, Mania 2 comes to you from 3 different venues with celebrities galore. The Masters of the Mat take on the Giants of the Gridiron in a huge battle royal while Hulk Hogan - injured ribs and all - puts his title on the line against King Kong Bundy in a specially reinforced steel cage (note: only available for one week). Old School - Madison Square Garden - March 16, 1986: Unusual matches all over the place as Ricky Steamboat goes one on one with Mr. Fuji, Dump Matsumoto and Bull Nakano take on Linda Gonzalez and Velvet McIntyre, and Lioness Asuka and Chigusa Nagayo (aka The Crush Gals) wrestle Lelani Kai and Penny Mitchell. Jake Roberts also makes his MSG debut while Macho Man Randy Savage defends his newly won IC title against former champ Tito Santana. TV Classics: ECW - March 4, 1996 World Class Championship Wrestling - March 5, 1983 TNT - April 16, 1986 Saturday Night's Main Event - March 1, 1986 (aka "SNME #5"): WrestleMania 2 hype with feature bouts including Mr. T vs Bob Orton in a boxing match and Hulk Hogan vs. Don Muraco. Shorties: John Cena vs. The Big Show - WrestleMania XX - U.S. Title Match. Randy Savage vs. Crush - WrestleMania X - Falls Count Anywhere, must make it to the ring within 60 seconds after being pinned. Roddy Piper vs. Adorable Adrian Adonis - WrestleMania III - Roddy Piper's farewell match. Owen Hart vs. Triple H - WrestleMania XIV - European Title Match, Chyna handcuffed to Sgt. Slaughter. Undertaker vs. Randy Orton - WrestleMania 21 (which seems silly since it will be in the 15-0 piece too). Week 2 - March 5th - March 11th: Big Ones: WrestleMania X8: WrestleMania returns to Canada as Icons Hulk Hogan and The Rock do battle and Triple H's hunt for the Undisputed Championship after a Royal Rumble victory continues. TV Classics: NWA Wrestling - March 15, 1986 Monday Night Raw - March 11, 2002: Hulk Hogan has his first WWE match in 9 years while Hall and Nash have their first WWE match in 6 years in huge 3 on 2 match vs. The Rock and Steve Austin on the last Raw before. How will the always hot Detroit crowd take to the nWo? Also features exciting Board of Directors segments, Jericho running errands for Stephanie McMahon, and a short RVD/Hardys vs. William Regal/Dudleyz match. Monday Night Wars: Raw - June 16, 1997: Faarooq has challenged Ahmed Johnson and The Undertaker as he plans on re-creating the Nation. What does he have up his sleeve? A tag team tournament also begins as backstage antics that were not seen on TV the previous week are discussed. Monday Night Wars: Nitro - June 16, 1997: Hulk Hogan and Dennis Rodman are in tag team action as the main event Nitro against The Giant and Lex Luger. Also features Rey Mysterio vs. Syxx and Ultimo Dragon vs. Chris Jericho. Week 3 - March 12th - March 18th: Legends: Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin Bret Hart vs. Curt Hennig Hart Foundation vs. The Rockers (December 14, 1989 - Hamilton, Ontario house show) Undertaker: 15-0 (Part 2) Big Ones: Old School - Houston, Texas - Sam Houston Coliseum, December 10, 1987 (note: Cawthon's site lists this show as occurring on the 11th): Features the commentary team of Bruce Pritchard, Mike McGuirk, and Pete Doherty calling matches like The Hart Foundation vs. Strike Froce and Hulk Hogan vs. Ted DiBiase. TV Classics: ECW - March 11, 1996 Shorties: Money in the Bank (if I had to guess, I would say it will be #3 - they won't show 1 and 2 was just on last month though that hasn't stopped that sort of thing from happening before. WWE.com's description also mentions Jeff Hardy and MITB 3 would be the only match he could be in that's listed). The Rockers vs. Twin Towers - WrestleMania V. Mickie James vs. Trish Stratus - WrestleMania 22 - WWE Women's Championship match. Ahmed Johnson, Jake Roberts, and Yokozuna vs. Owen Hart, The British Bulldog, and Vader - WrestleMania XII. Shane McMahon vs. X-Pac - WrestleMania XV - European Championship match. Week 4 - March 19th - March 25th: Big Ones: WrestleMania IX: The first outdoor WrestleMania, it's either moderately enjoyed by some for the unique atmosphere and not as bad as people say card or hated by others for a card featuring a terrible Giant Gonzalez vs. Undertaker match and an unusual ending. Now YOU be the judge. TV Classics: Wrestling Challenge - March 27, 1993 (Note: Cawthon's site says the 28th and Challenge aired on Sundays, so the 28th is right - may be confusion over Superstars airing on Saturday?): The build to WrestleMania IX is featured as Yokozuna and Bret Hart sign a contract. Also features a Steiner Brothers squash match (these ARE fun) and Doink the Clown vs. Tom Jones. Monday Night Wars: Nitro - June 23, 1997: The nWo continues their streak of actually wrestling on the show as DDP faces Scott Hall in the main event. The build towards the big Las Vegas Nitro on June 30th continues - just who will be the major star debuting that week? La Parka is also in action as he teams with Damien to face Public Enemy. Monday Night Wars: Raw - June 23, 1997: We get not one but TWO Detroit Raw's this month (although I wasn't at this one - and it seems this is actually from Cobo Arena, which is next to Joe Louis and nowhere near as good a venue, but I digress). The ECW angle continues (and possibly ends) as Sabu takes on Flash Funk. The tag team tournament also continues while Owen Hart, Goldust, and Hunter Hearst Helmsley have what may be the Fed's first triple threat match. NWA Wrestling - March 22, 1986. Week 5 - March 26th - April 1st: Legends: 10-Man Tag Match (Guess: Canadian Stampede). Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage John Cena: My Life. Big Ones: Armageddon 2007: WWE's last PPV of the year showcases the return of Chris Jericho as he attempts to "Save Us" from Randy Orton's reign as WWE champion. Also on the card, Edge and Undertaker challenge Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship in a Triple Threat Match while Jeff Hardy battles Triple H for the right to face the WWE champion at the Royal Rumble. Old School - Madison Square Garden - June 27, 1977: We go WAY back to a show headlined by Billy Graham defending his WWWF title against Bruno Sammartino. Gorilla Monsoon is also in action as he and Dominic DeNucci face Mr. Fuji and Toru Tanaka. Date Unknown: The winner of the Pick Your Big One (WrestleMania VIII has 52% of the vote at the moment) and a Legends of Wrestling roundtable. Plus all those mysterious "WWE Mania Freeviews" (which I assume are in the Free Preview section) that are added on odd dates. Just like last year, the WrestleMania month brings me PPVs and Shorties I already own, but I am very happy that the three featured Manias each get a television build-up special. Excellent idea (though none of those shows are particularly good on paper, it's the thought / nostalgia that counts). I am also looking forward to the ongoing Monday Night War and the Bret Hart Hall of Fame theme looks fantastic. Edit: Well getting this formatted correctly was quite the ordeal. No idea why it was spaced so weird or had different font (which when I went to fix it had individual lines of code for each entry... all I did was cut and paste ONE JAPANESE NAME so I wouldn't need to remember how to spell it and it apparently messed the whole post up.
  22. It's nice to see an episode of World Championship Wrestling with a "real" match (in this case, Tully vs. Dusty for the National Title from a different location).
  23. I don't understand why they have TWO sound awards presented at the same time - all of the nominees were (basically) the same for both and Bourne won both anyway - can this not be combined into one award?
  24. Thank you for selling out your English heritage and putting 2/25/08 as the date. Day-Month doesn't jive with me (and I think I'm supposed to be doing that as a Canadian, but I hate it). Any bets on who is qualifying for Money in the Bank tonight? Jericho maybe?
  25. This is pretty stupid but amused me. What people do with youtube...
×
×
  • Create New...