DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
WWE General Discussion - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to Prophet of Mike Zagurski's topic in The WWE Folder
On the subject of WWE Magazine, I picked up the "Greatest PPV Moments" and "Best of 2007" issue hoping for some smarkish commentary. An amusing note is the PPV issue calls the Wargames match "too difficult to understand" - "The match beyond? Yeah, beyond comprehension maybe". -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Isn't there some technical issue with beaming OD television to satellites though? Or is that one of those "we can't do it now but the technology of the future will be able to do it" type deals? -
Well Jim Ross certainly thought it was exciting enough to want a sequel. Truth be told, I thought it was the best match of that show when I first saw it almost 6 years ago. Re-watching it, I found it quite dull.
-
Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in General Wrestling
I remember hearing talk that Owen WAS going to beat Bret then they would do a WM IX repeat of Owen making an open challenge and Sid (!) beating him. I have no idea how half of the stuff I heard in the early 90s (via the Detroit News and "free" (long distance) hotlines associated with it) even started but it sounded like some of it was from the Torch. If reruns of Impact aren't on 24/7 by the end of 2009, I'll have to add that to this thread in what would end up being some hugely unnecessary Vanhalen like thread bump. Of course, from what I gather, they can book 2008 to be 3 times as bad as 2007 and still get their Panda money. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
24/7 is putting up Clash 1 just for you though! I'll enjoy it in your absence. -
Well, at least he said "brother" about 5 times when interviewing the Jeff guy who misses his try-out 14 years ago after the Eliminator.
-
By the end of two hours I thought this was fine and I like the Eliminator (and the weekly prospect of Gina Carano possibly falling into a pool of water) but I hate how overly post-produced it seems. I realize in this day and age you probably can't air a straight up competition show without dramatic music cues, annoying "quick spin" camera shots to show the hosts and contenders, and the like (and the original AG was an afternoon syndicated show, at least in my market) but at first it was so annoying. It was like "Mark Burnett Presents: American Gladiators". It started off really bad with the way the edited together Powerball - the hits all sounded like they had a fake sound effect added for crying out loud. I also think they ruined Assault - they spent way too much time loading their weapons / searching for ammo, but maybe the next contenders will have a better idea of what to do. Still my favourite Non-Eliminator event. Anyhow, by the time the Eliminator for the 10pm hour came about, a lot of this stuff didn't seem to bother me anymore and I figure I'll be watching tonight.
-
I'm loving the borderline-Engrish in the profiles. "A drunk character with a huge body" indeed.
-
"I smell a little bit of gay around here" has running joke potential. Well I got it rolling by dropping it in another thread.
-
Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in General Wrestling
Title Mania: Goldust will dethrone Jericho to once again become IC champion in 2002. Booker T and Goldust will have a great tag title run, delighting the fans. Now that the IC title is back, The Hurricane's career would take off in 2003 after he capitalized with an IC title run. People will still love Eugene, especially after his career takes off in the 2004 with an IC title run. Batista will hit his career high in 2005 with an IC title run, MAYBE going further much later. Chris Masters and Carlito will co-exist and have a run as world tag team champions following Mania 22. People are tired of John Cena and HHH is taking back his title at Mania 22. Carlito will capitalize on his new found facedom in 2006 by having a successful IC title run. Shawn Michaels will hold the world title again in 2004/2007 (Winning the belt at the Royal Rumble (setting up a Benoit/Michaels singles main event for Mania XX) / WrestleMania 23 / Backlash 07 / Summer of 07 before he left with injury). -
Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in General Wrestling
Randy Savage was going to be on Marc Mero's team at Survivor Series 96. Brian Pillman was going to be in the 1997 Royal Rumble. In fairness, both of these were stories I heard elsewhere and just ran with. By Survivor Series 1998 I wised up to mystery men generally being people not worth advertising and had a good laugh at all the people chanting "HBK!" before Dwayne Gill came out to face Mankind at Survivor Series 98. -
Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in General Wrestling
I thought Max Moon was going to be revealed as Marty Jannetty, back for revenge on Shawn. -
Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in General Wrestling
I hear ya on that one. I know I said I thought Piper was going to win, but he was actually my back-up choice to Sid. There was one thing both my cousin and I were sure on, though - Ric Flair had no chance and was going to lose. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
That's pretty awesome. -
I thought I stole it from The Simpsons movie.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
As Mean Gene used to say on Coliseum Video openings, "if you don't see it, ASK FOR IT". Comcast already has 24/7 in other markets, so why not yours? Let them know you want to ride the Video On Demand train straight to Wrestlingville. -
Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in General Wrestling
At 10 years old I was positive Roddy Piper was winning the 1992 Royal Rumble and walking out of Albany with two titles. I thought they might have booked Steve Austin to stun and eliminate all 28 other Rumble entrants one by one (and then became worried they would follow through with it after that actually happened to Golga) in 1999 and beat on Vince for an hour, creating the worst Rumble ever. I was half right. I was pretty confident Debra was going to walk around topless and Mankind was going to win the title at Rock Bottom. I once jokingly told a bunch of people on Prodigy Chat that Virgil was going to be the 3rd man at Bash at the Beach 96. Hey, he did join the nWo eventually right? I thought we would see great things from Tiger Ali Singh because he was Canadian and wore Owen Hart's exact same tights, except with a yellow trim instead of pink. KKC: For what it's worth, I remember hearing rumours of a Demolition return / update around 1996/1997. I don't know where they originated, though. -
So, two years late to the party but after loving Rock Band and doing well on Easy on songs like "Woman" by Wolfmother at a New Year's Eve party, I thought, "Yeah, I can do this!". I really can't! I'm awful. But I'm learning, I guess. I went a step up to medium for Smoke on the Water and did awful. More practice should help though. I used a mall gift card to buy the official Activision/RedOctane wireless guitar (there was another one that said you could use the optional cord to charge the batteries... probably would have been better but you know me and 3rd party software, or you don't because I've never brought up my lack of comfort with it before) and the GH 1+2 bundle which I justified as great savings since I couldn't find a PS2 version of GH2 or 3 that came with a guitar. They also had Fire Pro Returns for $20, so score! I've heard people say Rock Band's guitar modes are eaiser and after playing both (though very few songs on the former), I can believe it. Even on easy, some songs - even early tracks - tend to be much faster than RBs, but I guess it makes sense since you're ONLY trying to master a fake guitar (because real guitars are for old people) instead of fake drums and real vocal pitch.
-
Hey, if the court comes up with rulings such as "Marvin can't say WWF or Wii anymore" or "EHME will be banned the next time he starts 'gettin up in sum budyz grill'", it's a great idea.
-
Is he named after a character Al Pacino played in the early 90s? no, he's not the problem on the page in question. Yes he is, he's being totally ignorant towards Jingus.
-
WWE General Discussion - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to Prophet of Mike Zagurski's topic in The WWE Folder
I can think of one that should be banned here. Personal attacks are not tolerated in the regular forum areas, EHME! -
The poster above you (forum edition)
DrVenkman PhD replied to TheFranchise's topic in No Holds Barred
D) All of the above. -
According to a news item sent to PWI by Jeremiah Evans (though I don't know where he took this from, I don't see it on the DVD section of WWE.com), this is the full calendar for 2008: 1/08 - Royal Rumble Anthology Volume 4 1/15 - Armageddon 2007 2/12 - Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin 2/26 - Royal Rumble 2008 3/25 - Triple H: The King of Kings - There is Only One 3/25 - No Way Out 2008 4/01 - To Be Announced (huh?) 5/06 - Evolution of the Hardys 5/20 - WrestleMania 24 5/27 - Backlash 2008 6/03 - The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment 6/17 - Judgment Day 2008 7/01 - One Night Stand 2008 7/08 - Best of Starrcade 7/22 - Vengeance 2008 8/05 - SummerSlam: Complete Anthology Box Set 8/19 - The Great American Bash 2008 9/09 - Life and Times of Mr. Perfect 9/16 - SummerSlam 2008 10/07 - Complete Hell (Hell in a Cell compilation) 10/14 - Unforgiven 2008 11/04 - Edge 11/04 - No Mercy 2008 11/18 - Randy Savage: Macho Madness 11/25 - Cyber Sunday 2008 12/09 - Sting 12/23 - Survivor Series 2008 On a different, personal note, I came to my senses today and realized - shortly before Amazon prepared it for shipping and thus I would have paid for it - that nice box design or not buying Volume IV of the Rumble Anthology would have been silly. I just ordered a copy of 2007 instead.
-
The worst year of your life so far...
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
I sometimes forget much I loved the Bossman/Vader feud. 2nd turnbuckle sunset flip by Vader! Haha, Cactus Jack and Kevin Sullivan coming out to Tori's theme is pretty funny.