DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
I had a similar problem with Kenny continually telling me he was bailing on my tag matches because of his grandma. I never once picked him as a partner to begin with and that story arc was never actually resolved.
-
I didn't inform one of my bosses that part of a building at a work site fell because I didn't deem it important at 11pm. Then I came online and randomly said "What's causing all this?" in some thread.
-
Where is Ripper? His forums.thesmartmarks.com handle indicates he has a proficiency with flatulence.
-
Yeah, so the Raw DVD... I can see people not liking this thing. Frankly, I paid my $20 to own Bulldog/Owen, Kid/Hart, and Benjamin/HBK on DVD and they're there - full and unclipped (not counting a televised cuts for a commercial, and I hope this is true of Benjamin/HBK but I haven't watched Disc 3 yet) - so everything else is gravy. But Flair/Perfect and Michaels/Owen are definitely cut down - Perfect/Flair is a 10 minute chapter of what was originally a 19 minute match. The very first chapter on Disc 1 sets the stage - "First Raw" is a recycled piece of footage (a good piece of footage I will admit) from the Raw Xposed special from the 2005 Homecoming. It seemed to me several - not quite half, but a lot - of the segments on Disc 2 were PPV or "Last Week on Raw" video package recaps (Higher Power, HHH/Steph wedding, etc.). Disc 2 is certainly not the "wrestling" disc of the set. That said, I'm enjoying the set. It's not exactly all it SOUNDED like it would be, but I'm getting what I paid for and liking it. The little pop-up notes are a nice touch and do not annoy me at all. I was really happy to see that Michaels / Jannetty is the match where Marty wins the IC title - they even refer to it TWICE as the Pro Wrestling Illustrated 1993 MOTY on the disc which I thought was pretty cool. I had never seen the match before and really liked it (ditto Kid/Bret). The clipped stuff on Disc 2 is actually stuff I can't say I was entirely interested in watching again anyway, but the stuff I DID want to see again - an unclipped version of the DX Nation skit and "This is Your Life" - get full treatment. Actually "This Is Your Life" cuts off when Rock calls Mick a "dumb son of a bitch" for not realizing his birthday is May 2nd, but at that point it had run its course and I don't recall what else followed that. Once I heard two different Lex Luger themes, Doink's theme, and Jerry Lawler go banana over Rock saying "poontang" on TV, I was set.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
All of my shows are running nice and smooth. Cogeco here even stopped saying shows were 7 minutes! I can't believe I missed a WWF scratch logo either, I love looking for those errors. Of course, no Starrcade 92. I don't get what stops PYBO's from airing here, but whatever. -
Yeah, there's definitely an intermission or ad cut after the Warrior/Slaughter match as it jumps right to Koko vs. Mountie (I expect those kind of edits though).
-
WWE has complete rights to the SMW footage, not just "some of the invasion stuff", though that may have been in reference to the USWA and Wisdom mis-typed.
-
Yeah I remember having those arguments last year along with similar arguments about Cena. On the net it often becomes "we don't like something so it failed", but I digress. With the Shawn, Rey, and Cena DVD sales for this year, PWI did the numbers and showed how within a few months all of those DVDs are almost at the to-date sales of the DVDs released on the same people in 2003-2004. I was watching the 1991 Rumble last night... 3 HOURS and 5 MINUTES? Holy hell, I thought all the old Rumble shows topped out at 2.5 hours. The Mountie/Koko match cut from VHS isn't even that long but I'm not sure what else I don't remember seeing from when I last saw the 91 Rumble on VHS years ago. spman says Barbarian / Bossman was also cut, but that would mean Warrior/Slaughter is match #2 on the Coliseum tape and I don't think it is. I think the VHS starts with a USA chant and Vince doing a 30 man rollcall while the DVD (which I have to assume is how the original PPV opened) has the national anthem followed by someone that sounds a BIT like Gene Okerlund (if his voice were severely altered via sound mixing) which I now recall someone mentioning about the original release last spring. Does anyone know if Vince's intro really was part of the original PPV and, for some reason, they don't have the rights to that Rumble theme and Vince didn't have the time to re-record 30 names? I guess I'll find out (or someone could tell me) about the theme song issue when I watch the 92 Rumble. I don't care for (what I think are) altered Mania VI ads on the 90 Rumble. I remember the commercials having the classic early 90s Mania theme (my favourite one) followed by like, Mr. Fuji jogging and such. On the DVD, it's a generic logo with a generic song. Why not just cut it entirely?
-
forums.thesmartmarks posters that should post more often
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in No Holds Barred
Ah yes. I skipped that thread entirely forgetting that here at TSM, we would actually make such a bad thread funny. -
forums.thesmartmarks posters that should post more often
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in No Holds Barred
I'm not up to speed on the poster you're talking about and while I initially assumed full use of the forums.TSM deal was a joke, Leena has been trying to get back on board and she' apparently a good account hijacker. That's all. -
forums.thesmartmarks posters that should post more often
DrVenkman PhD replied to King Kamala's topic in No Holds Barred
Has KKC been Haxored? -
Re-Reading old posts you've made on this here forum.
DrVenkman PhD replied to TheFranchise's topic in General Chat
This is about the 3rd or 4th time we've crossed this bridge, but my first posts were attempts at bad comedy with people not familiar with me at all. Somehow it actually worked too (it was comparing Doug Basham - with his curly hair - to Larry Appleton from Perfect Strangers). As I'm sure you're all aware, I used to be a "internet wrestling writer". People told me they liked it (and even Vitamin X says he was a big fan) but I'm not a big fan of my work. Even now, I write a weekly blog / rant on Facebook about things locally that bother me - I would post it here in my blog but really, does anyone here care if I think the traffic light on Monmouth and Ottawa is unneeded and a waste of time? - and while my friends think it's well written, I'm sure in a year I'll read it back and wonder what on Earth I was thinking when I wrote them. I'm too critical of my own writing. When I have some time I'll probably have to find some bad old posts of mine. -
RAZ B ACCUSES EX-B2K MANAGER OF PAEDOPHILIA
DrVenkman PhD replied to milliondollarchamp's topic in Music
That's what I thought of too. -
Does anyone remember that guy that got really mad at me for mentioning something about WWE.com and want on some hippie rant about corporate America? I think he had the name "Super Crazy" (original!) unless that was someone else who we also made fun of. Anyway, bring that guy / those people back.
-
WWE General Discussion - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to Hunter's Torn Quad's topic in The WWE Folder
I wonder if Vince's "we're too smart to fall for brothers" doctrine is why Edge and Christian suddenly became "tag team partners" in 2005. It's funny, I didn't know The Majors weren't brothers either but like Bryan said, it's probably because I didn't care to look it up. -
Though it's been addressed (through both speculation and common sense), if anyone is concerned about Benoit being removed from the broken-up versions of the Rumble, don't be. I started watching on Christmas and they are obviously just re-packaged from whole anthology. Despite the fact it's almost 2008, these DVDs have the old "Don't Try This At Home" warning with Benoit and Angle (also both featured in the opening WWE logo on the discs). So not only did I buy Volume 3 but also Volume 4... I needed a copy of the 2007 Rumble and figured I had $15 extra to waste on the nice packaging of the Anthology sets. Christmas spending mood, I guess. I rationalize that had I bought the entire box as I was planning to early in 2007 I would have had these anyway, and at least this way I didn't have to pay for Volumes 1 and 2 (hooray Christmas!). Got through HBK's DVD, really enjoyed it. I'm going to give HHH and co the benefit of the doubt on the whole Montreal issue - much like Honky Tonk Man's terrible reign as IC champ where he lost almost all of his matches earning him a mock-heel title as "greatest IC champ ever" that somehow became a non-parody fact over the years, I believe that after 10 years the going by the doctrine that "Bret's last night was Montreal, he had to drop the belt!", it is something everyone now remembers as being 100% true, forgetting he was contracted until December. It is a bit interesting to listen to HBK's take on drug problems and steroids and Montreal AFTER reading Bret's take on it - Bret called him a drug addict, which HBK admits to, but I'm pretty sure Bret accused him of being into steroids, which Shawn says he may have "accidentally" taken with his other drugs since the boys in the back did them. Jericho is really good on this DVD too, not sure if it's because he was not contracted at the time so he could be more honest (talking about how awful the HBK/God vs Shane/Vince match was) or not, but get this man more interviews (where relevant) in future DVDs. The story about Shawn's "poop brown pants and awful bobcut hair" at Survivor Series 2002 is hilarious.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Last year things actually lined up, but I don't know if it ever had previously or ever will again. It just happened that in October 2006, they were showing October 96 episodes leading up to IYH: Buried Alive, which was also part of the October 2006 Halloween theme. At the end of MNW episode with the last Raw before the PPV, they put a graphic on screen "Watch Buried Alive. Available now on WWE 24/7!" -
I'm pretty sure the packs just raise you 50 "overall" points... as I only have one guy (me), I never bothered to look at what this actually changed. As for tag matches, I THINK it's the same deal as last year for calling someone in (if they don't do it automatically, which apparently they do) - it's however you make a manager give you a chair, but the opposite. I used to know how to do this for the older games where you used the D-Pad, but now it's holding a button down and using the d-pad (L1? L2? R1? One of them). I hate tag matches in this series (as well as Internet darling Day of Reckoning and even in the THQ 64 series at times) and will speak them when at all possible, but another option I find works well for when I want to play / have to play them is to use my guy to beat the hell out my opponent(s), do a finisher, and tag out. The AI partner eventually realizes he can pin the guy while I'm beating up the opposing partner on the floor. Oh, there's always room for an old fashioned count out victory too.
-
WWE General Discussion - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to Hunter's Torn Quad's topic in The WWE Folder
I haven't actually watched enough SmackDown this year to be real familiar with all his cliches, but EVERYTIME I watch it or a PPV, he says "the lights are on bright, Michael!". -
WWE General Discussion - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to Hunter's Torn Quad's topic in The WWE Folder
Kayfabe or not, I too was getting really tired of JBL's "The lights are on bright!" cliche. Good call, Joey. -
I don't know if there was anything like this for the original Rumble Anthology, but I love how the volumes have a meaningful quote on the inside package (Ric Flair's "with a tear in my eye" quote from 92 is on Volume 1, for example) along with a list of every winner, marathon man, most eliminations, first time Rumble competitors, along with the entire cards and order of entry. Well done. I watched about 30-40 minutes of the Shawn DVD documentary feature this morning before going out with family - I loved how they had Shawn re-tell the story he told on the "Before They Were Superstars / Confidential" piece about Vince firing The Rockers, but this time he actually named Jimmy Jack Funk as the person who got them fired (and have Marty do the Vince imitation for the "those boots are made for walkin" quote). So far, enjoying it.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Yeah, I mentioned the content of the 1980 card earlier in this thread... interesting stuff. Anyway, Merry Christmas to the 24/7 Connection. Here's to a great 08. -
What are some cool names for dogs.
DrVenkman PhD replied to Giuseppe Zangara's topic in No Holds Barred
Einstein. The Intensifier. Scruff McGruff Chicago Illinios 60652. -
Yeah, that's the point I tried to make when I pointed out what Enigma was saying a page ago (surprised he didn't repost it in General wrestling for no real reason). He only won the title once, but he pinned him at SummerSlam to retain it.