TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest MikeSC
Were the Survivor Series taped the night before Thanksgiving and distrubute it or do it that night?

No, it was live. The only PPV's the WWF taped and aired later were No Holds Barred: The Match and SummerSlam 1992.

-=Mike

Guest fanofcoils

Did WCW ever have a PPV or Clash of the Champions at Ceasar's Palace (site of WM IX)?

Did WCW ever have a PPV or Clash of the Champions at Ceasar's Palace (site of WM IX)?

not been a WCW fan i'm not sure but I do remember seeing clips of a show held outdoors (although IIRC WCW did quite a few of those?)

1) At Survivor Series 87, what was the deal with the Bees and the Young Stallions being the Sole Survivors of the 20 Man Tag. Were they set for pushes?

The Stallions were in the middle of a pseudo-push, having gotten a lot of wins on TV against midcard teams as well as nearly winning the titles from The Hart Foundation on SNME about two months earlier. Actually, didn't the Stallions get a non-title victory over the Harts late that summer?

They won a non-title match due to trouble-shootingMr.T reversing the decision (Bret Hart had pinned one of the Stallions with his feet on the ropes ala Ric Flair). This was the first indication of any sort of Stallion push. Then came the SNME that was mentioned.

Poor Jerry Allen was left out in the cold...

Sort of. They held a Clash at the indoor portion of Ceasar's Palace, but not the outside part where WM IX was held.

Those shows came in January of 1995 and 1996.

As for a semi-rare outdoor show WCW had some matches one ep of WCW Saturday Night in Mayish of 1995 from "Speed Street". They held the Slim Jim Challenge there where the winner got a TV Title Shot at Bash at the Beach 1995 (another outdoor show). Orndorff won by defeating Duggan in the finals and Pillman in the semis. Duggan beat Big Bubba to advance . . . could be wrong, this is all off of memory. They also had a squash or two out there in the rain.

In the arena, they had 2nd Round matches for the WCW US Title Tournament and was also Stunning Steve's last match of any impact getting beat by Macho Man Randy Savage in about three or so minutes. Kind of sad.

Were the Survivor Series taped the night before Thanksgiving and distrubute it or do it that night?

No, it was live. The only PPV's the WWF taped and aired later were No Holds Barred: The Match and SummerSlam 1992.

-=Mike

Didn't they tape WrestleMania 2, in the different locations and show them in the order they wanted?

-=Mike

Didn't they tape WrestleMania 2, in the different locations and show them in the order they wanted?

I believe it was only taped on the West Coast where they saw the LA portion first then moved on to NY then CHI . . . so if you were in LA, The Bulldogs vs. Dream Team was your WM2 Main Event. Not bad.

:headbang:

What were Mankind's debut vignettes like?

If you're referring to his vignettes before his WWF Debut, in March 1996, give or take, they were mostly dark, but with a small light. The only visible part of his body was usually shown in a close or extreme close frame, and I can only recall seeing his fingers(I always loved the black and white taped fingers) and his partial ear. He spoke in a voice that was a little less emotional than hs ECW promos, a little higher pitched than the Foley we're used to right now. In his second or third promo, "Have a nice day" was debuted.

:cheers:

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

I thought they shot them all live and timed it all well.

-=Mike

Maybe this was already answered, but how did the WWF Commissionership/President go from Jack Tunney to Gorilla Monsoon to Sgt. Slaughter?

Edited by Tony149

Maybe this was already answered, but how did the WWF Commissionership go from Jack Tunney to Gorilla Monsoon to Sgt. Slaughter?

Tunney stepped down just before Summerslam 1995, and Monsoon was named interim President. After Monsoon got attacked by Vader, Roddy Piper was brought in as his replacement. I think he disappeared after WM XII, and I think the President/Commissionership slot stayed vacant until Sgt was introduced the night after SummerSlam 1997.

Maybe this was already answered, but how did the WWF Commissionership go from Jack Tunney to Gorilla Monsoon to Sgt. Slaughter?

Tunney stepped down just before Summerslam 1995, and Monsoon was named interim President. After Monsoon got attacked by Vader, Roddy Piper was brought in as his replacement. I think he disappeared after WM XII, and I think the President/Commissionership slot stayed vacant until Sgt was introduced the night after SummerSlam 1997.

Monsoon appeared at SummerSlam 97 as the President. (what was it the Million Dollar Chance or something?)

Monsoon was still mentioned as President into 98 as I am sure he was still doing commentary for UK versions of Superstars or Metal, and the President title was just a name, but he didn't have an on-air authority position on TV or anything

Guest Astro

Piper gave up the President role to Monsoon just prior to the Backlot Brawl with GoldDust , then Monsoon made the call for OT in the Bret/Shawn match

Gorilla made the announcement on the 7/28/97 Raw that he'd introduce the new commissioner the next week (8/4), which is where Slaughter first appeared. I don't think we saw Gorilla on TV after 8/4 with the exception of his WMXV appearance.

Guest fanofcoils
Gorilla made the announcement on the 7/28/97 Raw that he'd introduce the new commissioner the next week (8/4), which is where Slaughter first appeared. I don't think we saw Gorilla on TV after 8/4 with the exception of his WMXV appearance.

Summerslam 97 Gorilla Monsoon happened.

Did Bret Hart and Mick Foley ever have a televised match?

They were on opposite sides of the ring in a six-man flag match on Raw on July 21st 1997. It was Bret, Owen and Davey against Dude Love, Steve Austin and The Undertaker.

Also:

They worked an opener on Shotgun Saturday Night on January 25th 1997

Bret beat Mankind at a house show in Germany on February 24th, 1997

Mankind and Steve Austin beat Bret Hart and Owen Hart on July 11th 1997 at a house show in Dallas

Dude Love and Steve Austin beat Bret Hart and Owen Hart on July 18th 1997 at a house show in Worcester.

Bret and Owen beat them the next night in Newfoundland and the night after that as well, both times with Dude Love losing the fall after cheating.

Dude Love and Undertaker beat Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart on October 30th 1997 in Baharain

Mankind, Steve Austin and Undertaker beat Bret, Jim and Davey Boy on November 7th and 8th 1997, in two of Bret's last WWF matches, both times with Austin pinning Jim after the Stunner.

Where was Paul Orndorff from 1988-1990, and was he a regular wrestler then?

I believe he had a heated feud with Dr. Death Steve Williams in one of the smaller feds during that timeframe.

Guest Astro
in between losing the World Title to Flair at Starrcade 83, and debuting with the WWF - what was Harley Race doing?

Race competed sparingly in Japan, AWA, and even won a regional Memphis title I believe. He was gone from the NWA as a full time fixture by the Spring of 1985, if not Fall of 84.