TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Thanks a lot for the info. Sounds like that would have been pretty cool, but I don't blame them for nixing it if it would potentially destroy their Japanese fan base, given how important their tours are over there.

Let me justify why I think it would have been cool. It was something different, and back then I didn't care about anything like who would find it tasteless because I was a jerk. Obviously, I grew up.

Can anybody explain to me the Sting Vs Vampiro Vs The Demon three way feud from Summer of '00? That shit was so convoluted. The absurdness of Kane/Undertaker paled in comparison.

An explanation? Yes? One that makes sense? Not possible.

Maybe an offshoot of the original storyline for the KISS Demon, and Sting and Vampiro were fighting over his soul? That whole storyline was absolutely terrible and the matches were even worse.

2000 was the only time where I really wanted Sting to hang it up. Everything he did that year was really terrible. The feud with Vampiro and The Demon and the match with Jeff Jarrett at Halloween Havoc '00 obviously been the lowlights.

The thing was, I think a Vampiro/Sting feud could have been decent, if they had just ditched all the hokey stuff Vampiro was doing and just made it a situation where Vampiro was trying to take Sting's spot as a main eventer.

I can try to explain Vampiro/Sting/Demon.

Early 2000 Sting and Vampiro tag team in a few matches, so it's assumed they are friends. When Russo/Bischoff return, Vampiro turns heel and joins the New Blood. He costs Sting his match at Spring Stampede, therby starting a feud that culminates in the infmaous "Human Torch Match" at Great American Bash 2000. Next Vampiro targets Demon for no real reason. He attacks him and his girlfiends Asya numerous times, leading to a graveyard match at Bash At The Beach, which Vamp wins. Later on Demon alligns with Vampiro for no real reason and they form the Dark Carnival along with Great Muta and briefly ICP. Vamp and Muta even have a very brief Tag Title reign (they won and lost the tag titles at New Blood Rising IIRC). Sting returns from being "burned" and feuds with Vampiro again. Sting and Booker even main evented a thunder I have on tape vs Vamp and Muta. I don't really recall there being an end to this angle but then again WCW in 2000 was over-convuleted.

The thing was, I think a Vampiro/Sting feud could have been decent, if they had just ditched all the hokey stuff Vampiro was doing and just made it a situation where Vampiro was trying to take Sting's spot as a main eventer.

I agree, one of the few things I was looking forward to during Kevin Sullivan's brief and horrible reign with the book in 2000 was the eventual Vampiro Vs Sting feud.

I remember a cool match from Thunder pitting Vamp/Muta/Demon/Jarrett vs Booker/Sting/Kronik in an elimination style Survivor Series match which saw a cool spot with Sting and Booker winning with a stereo Book End/Scorpion Death Drop on Vamp and Demon.

Who made the MOST MONEY overall, not just contract wise during WCW's lucrative run from about 96-99?

Was it really Bret because of his contract mostly?

Hall or Nash due to the nWo and the merchandise sales? Ditto for Hogan?

Goldberg during his streak?

Sting even though he did jack?

Guest TheFabulousJakey
Emperor Hirohito was the Japanese leader who bombed Pearl Harbor. Kenzo Suzuki's original gimmick called for him to be the grandson of this emperor. It was tasteless and received a ton of backlash before he even made tv, prompting the company to change plans.

It also necessitated any Canadian faces changing their hometowns, which was why Chris Benoit began being announced from Atlanta and Chris Jericho from Manhasset, New York. From what I remember, the gimmick was the brainchild of Dan Madigan, who didn't last very long in WWE Creative but did manage to write the "See No Evil" screenplay.

Guest Vincent Vega
Who made the MOST MONEY overall, not just contract wise during WCW's lucrative run from about 96-99?

Alot of people made alot of money...but no one came close to what Hogan was bringing in.

How much bigger was Bret's contract? He said he was making 2.8 mil a year - is that really that much further ahead than what Hogan or the Outsiders got? I don't think them making 2mil a year was a stretch.

I'm sure I heard Hogan got some ridiculous cut like 100 per cent of his own merchandise and 25 per cent of ALL WCW merchandise. Plus $250,000 per television appearance. And a guarantee of anywhere from $4m-$12m-a-year, depending on who you listen to.

Either way, even if those figures are way off, I'd still say Hogan by a mile.

I can try to explain Vampiro/Sting/Demon.

Early 2000 Sting and Vampiro tag team in a few matches, so it's assumed they are friends. When Russo/Bischoff return, Vampiro turns heel and joins the New Blood.

Oh yeah, The Brothers In Paint! I was really digging that tag team and was disappointed when they broke up so shortly after they formed.

Edited by Ed Wood Caulfield

Does anyone recall the specifics of the storyline when DDP returned to WCW in 1994? I seem to vaguely recall something about him being homeless, and Kimberly winning the lottery, and then he had that mysterious benefactor that was never revealed. Anyone remember enough to fill in the details for me?

Page talks about it in his book, Positively Page, if you can find a copy of it.

Does anyone recall the specifics of the storyline when DDP returned to WCW in 1994? I seem to vaguely recall something about him being homeless, and Kimberly winning the lottery, and then he had that mysterious benefactor that was never revealed. Anyone remember enough to fill in the details for me?

The short answer is that Page lost everything (the girl, the money, the precious Television Championship) including a Loser Leaves Town match to the Booty Man (remember that embarrassing shit?). He was brought back, with the aid of an anonymous benefactor and... then the storyline was dropped.

Wasn't he benefactor supposed to be Ted Dibiase, but then he ended up staying in the WWF for a while longer? I always heard that rumor.

The short answer is that Page lost everything (the girl, the money, the precious Television Championship) including a Loser Leaves Town match to the Booty Man (remember that embarrassing shit?). He was brought back, with the aid of an anonymous benefactor and... then the storyline was dropped.

The benefactor pointed out a loophole which said if DDP didn't win the TV Title at Uncensored, he'd be out of WCW. Well, his original oppponent and TV Champ Johnny B Badd left for the WWF so he was replaced by the Booty Man. DDP obviously had no chance of winning the title since Luger now had it so he was reinstated. And to pick a nit, it was 1996.

Are there any biographies about Andre the Giant? I really enjoyed reading what Bret had to say about him in his book, and I remember an article from a WWE Magazine in 97ish where Tim White and Arnie Skaaland reminisced about him.

I imagine Heenan talks about him quite a bit in his autobiography as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing that again. I had all five on tape fromBodyslam Week in 99. I'd really like to see Owen's again as well - I'd forgot, until reading Bret's book a few days ago, that Paul Jay did Owen's as well.

No books, but the Biography on him pops up on A&E and The Biography Channel every so often.

That bio had some fun info, but I also remember it having glaring holes and egregious mistakes concerning timelines and his career in general.

1. Did Hulk Hogan ever appear on Raw in 1993?

2. Did Razor Ramon and Diesel ever team together in a match prior to their run in WCW as The Outsiders?

1. I'm not sure if Hogan appeared live in The Manhattan Center but IIRC, he did do some promos hyping the Mega Maniacs/Money Inc match at WrestleMania IX and I'm sure he did some for his match against Yokozuna. I know for a fact that he never wrestled on RAW until his comeback to the WWF/E in 2002.

2. Diesel and Razor Ramon teamed up on the house show circuit against Jeff Jarrett and Shawn Michaels leading up to WrestleMania XI.

Here's an MSG card with said match.

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - March 19, 1995 (15,000; 10,000 paid)

Erik Watts & Chad Fortune defeated the Heavenly Bodies

Henry Godwinn defeated Barry Horowitz

WWF Tag Team Champions the Smoking Gunns defeated Tatanka & Kama

Bob Backlund defeated Adam Bomb

The Undertaker defeated Bam Bam Bigelow via count-out

WWF World Champion Diesel & Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels & WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett

Hakushi defeated the 1-2-3 Kid

Bret Hart & Davey Boy Smith defeated Owen Hart & Jerry Lawler

IIRC, the first time the WWF had the black ringside "wall" instead of the metal guardrail was SummerSlam 1998. Why was this change made? I've always found it silly to see someone irish-whipped into a rubber/foam wall, and Steamboat's "crushed larynx" of 1987 could only work (convincigly) on a metal rail.

Vince has always been very hands-on in every aspect of his product. How was he able to double as a commentator in the 80's and 90's? Sure, during interviews during match breaks he could (off camera) radio the back on stuff, but did he ever have a mute button on his headset, or the ability to call the Gorilla position WHILE he was commentating? Him physically getting up and lecturing Shawn and Mankind at the Mind Games PPV is evidence of Vince the booker coming out while he was "commentating", so I wondered how he balanced the two.

WWE really needs to do a full dvd on Andre. It's uncharted territory, Andre would obviously sell, there's tons of footage, seems like a no brainer.

Agreed. I'd even settle for an extended WWE 24/7 Roundtable episode on Andre. The one they did in conjunction with The Iron Sheik was hilarious, and I can only imagine some of the Andre stories that could be told. I still laugh at Dusty Rhodes' story about what Andre did to him in the brothel in New Orleans.

Him physically getting up and lecturing Shawn and Mankind at the Mind Games PPV is evidence of Vince the booker coming out while he was "commentating", so I wondered how he balanced the two.

What's the story about that?