TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

After seeing something posted in the WWE folder I have a question.How did Ralphus get get his role on TV? Was he related to one of the WCW guys or did he work the indies(unlikely)? he was great but I can't see a reason why Bischoff would put someone like that on TV unless it was Jericho's idea.

in WCW in 1992, did anyone end up co-hosting World Wide Wrestling with Schiavone? This show is currently airing in the UK and last weeks episode was the first of 1992. I have heard Jesse Ventura came in to WCW in 92, but did he host World Wide? Or does Schiavone keep doing it solo?

Also were there any big stars who came into WCW in 1992 who I should keep a look out for?

After seeing something posted in the WWE folder I have a question.How did Ralphus get get his role on TV? Was he related to one of the WCW guys or did he work the indies(unlikely)? he was great but I can't see a reason why Bischoff would put someone like that on TV unless it was Jericho's idea.

From listening to the WCW Internet audio show they had at the time, I think he was a truck driver for WCW.

in WCW in 1992, did anyone end up co-hosting World Wide Wrestling with Schiavone? This show is currently airing in the UK and last weeks episode was the first of 1992. I have heard Jesse Ventura came in to WCW in 92, but did he host World Wide? Or does Schiavone keep doing it solo?

Also were there any big stars who came into WCW in 1992 who I should keep a look out for?

I know Jesse co-hosted in 93 when they were taped at MGM. I believe he did in 92 as well, thought I'm not certain.

In 1992, Nikita Koloff returned, Jake Roberts made his debut (August), Muta and Jushin Liger did some spot shows, Greg Valentine returned, the Super Invader made his debut (Hercules under a mask), Masa Chono did some shows as NWA Champ ... that's probably a good start.

just looking through some WCW 1992 PPV/Clash results and noticed a few things

Clash 1/92 - Vinnie Vegas (Kevin Nash) & DDP wrestle (haven't been on World Wide yet, Oz was on a few times in 91)

Wrestle War 92 (May) - Super Invader (Hercules) wrestling. He didn't waste a lot of time then from leaving the WWF. Also Greg Valentine on this show

Also did JYD return? it says that there was a scheduled match for this show as JYD/Ron Simmons vs Cactus Jack/Mr Hughes, but that was changed to Hughes vs Simmons

Dean & Joe Malenko are on the June Clash and so is Chris Benoit! Also the Silver Kings and Head Hunters whomever those teams are

Shane Douglas, the Barbarian and Jake Roberts are on Halloween Havoc in October

Is there anyone else important I have missed? Also was this a one-time match for Benoit or was he on TV shows as well?

Also did JYD return? it says that there was a scheduled match for this show as JYD/Ron Simmons vs Cactus Jack/Mr Hughes, but that was changed to Hughes vs Simmons

Dean & Joe Malenko are on the June Clash and so is Chris Benoit! Also the Silver Kings and Head Hunters whomever those teams are

Shane Douglas, the Barbarian and Jake Roberts are on Halloween Havoc in October

Is there anyone else important I have missed? Also was this a one-time match for Benoit or was he on TV shows as well?

JYD did return but didn't stay long. The Barbarian won the US tag straps with Valentine in the spring, IIRC.

The Malenkos, Benoit, Silver Kings, and Headhunters were only used for the NWA Tag Team Title Tournament. Benoit & Wellington represented Canada, Silver Kings represented Mexico, etc. Benoit didn't begin as an active member of the WCW roster until January 93 where he beat Brad Armstrong at the Clash.

Shane came in around the summer, I believe. By the fall he was in a feud with Pillman which eventually turned into the Steamboat / Douglas vs. Hollywood Blondes rivalry.

Guest drdrainoscott
JYD did return but didn't stay long. The Barbarian won the US tag straps with Valentine in the spring, IIRC.

Actually, I think you are confusing two title reigns. I think Barbarian held the US belts with either Tony Atlas or Butch Reed (all part of Cactus Jack's group to get Ron Simmons) while Valentine held the belts with Terrence Taylor. I think they were the last group to hold the belts after winning them from the Freebirds.

I could be wrong though

From listening to the WCW Internet audio show they had at the time, I think he was a truck driver for WCW.

True. Jericho saw him and thought he'd fit in great on the Jericho Personal Security Staff. Or so the Legend goes.

I know Jesse co-hosted in 93 when they were taped at MGM. I believe he did in 92 as well, thought I'm not certain.

I'm pretty sure Ventura was doing Worldwide in 92. He definitely was by the end of 92 because he hosted an arm wrestling tournament around October/November.

Could it be that WWE is editing his commentary out of that too? They have on their DVDs before.

I doubt they will edit him from this show because its on TV, its only on commercial releases they have to edit him (although they may not have to now due to the Hall of Fame deal)

I have a bad feeling however that this show will be cancelled at the end of the year when Sky's contract runs out with WWE, and this probably will be one of the shows that isn't renewed. Hopefully not though as I look forward to watching it every week now.

I can't remember Schiavone ever doing Worldwide by himself though. Hell, Jim Ross was still with company at the time and did Worldwide until after they signed Ventura.

In 91, Schiavone announced World Wide with several people. I know Gordon Solie and the guy who was Uncle Zebekiah in the WWF and then with Magnum T.A

Schiavone has been announcing solo for the last 3 months on the Classics show (Oct '91 - Jan '92)

They also regularly show clips from another WCW programme (WCW Main Event perhaps?) and Jim Ross is doing solo commentary on there and has been on all clips shown in the last few months

Also a question I wanted to know, who is the WCW ring announcer who WWE can't show on their home video/dvd releases? I know its not Gary Michael Cappetta, its someone else. Also anyone know why they aren't allowed to show this ring announcer? They always start at the very beginning of the match and cut away straight at the end eg on Monday Night War and Rey Mysterio DVDs

Guest drdrainoscott

I think you are refering to Michael Buffer.

Let's get ready to rummmmmmmmmblllllllllle

Also a question I wanted to know, who is the WCW ring announcer who WWE can't show on their home video/dvd releases? I know its not Gary Michael Cappetta, its someone else. Also anyone know why they aren't allowed to show this ring announcer? They always start at the very beginning of the match and cut away straight at the end eg on Monday Night War and Rey Mysterio DVDs

It's definitely Michael Buffer, and basically they have to edit him out because they'd have to pay him a percentage of everything they made off a DVD with his likeness in it. It's basically the same reason most of Ventura's stuff gets edited from WWE DVDs.

Of course, I don't know anybody who bought a WCW PPV or WWE DVD because Michael Buffer would be introducing the main event.

If I read your post correctly, you're getting the first WW of 1992. If so, Ventura eventually becomes Schiavone's co-host after Superbrawl II -- Jesse's first full-time show -- which was in Feb. (Although he broadcasted the Rude/Austin vs. Sting/Steamboat match at Clash of the Champions XVII).

Edited by Tony149

I know that Mankind, The Big Show, Ken Shamrock, and Test were in The Union but my friend insists that at the end of one episode of Raw after The Union won a match that Sids music played he came out on stage and appluaded them while the fans cheered for Sid.

I have no memory of this happening at all unless my friends got the details wrong and it was on Smackdown since I wasnt able to get Smackdown at the time.

So did this happen or not? And if it did happen then where the heck did Sid go after that one breif 10 second apperance?

I know that Mankind, The Big Show, Ken Shamrock, and Test were in The Union but my friend insists that at the end of one episode of Raw after The Union won a match that Sids music played he came out on stage and appluaded them while the fans cheered for Sid.

I have no memory of this happening at all unless my friends got the details wrong and it was on Smackdown since I wasnt able to get Smackdown at the time.

So did this happen or not? And if it did happen then where the heck did Sid go after that one breif 10 second apperance?

Nah, that never happened. The only other thing I can think of that even remotely resembles that scene was a Raw in 97 where Sid came out with a group of guys to confront the Hart Foundation.

Also, Smackdown wasn't on the air when the Union was out. They were around from roughly April to June and Smackdown debuted in August.

Nah, that never happened. The only other thing I can think of that even remotely resembles that scene was a Raw in 97 where Sid came out with a group of guys to confront the Hart Foundation.

Also, Smackdown wasn't on the air when the Union was out. They were around from roughly April to June and Smackdown debuted in August.

Ha! I knew it never happened. Thanks for clearing that up now I can rub it in my friends face. You have given me great joy on this day.

Guest Astro

What was the catalyst for the Terry Funk/JYD fued. I read some where it was racially motivated.

When did Undertaker attack Warrior and put him in the casket?

What was the reason for Vince putting the gold on Flair? Not that I'm complaining about it, but I still think its weird Vince would make the top star of his opposing company his champion.

Did they continue with the Martel / Michaels following SummerSlam 92?

How long did the Steiners last in the WWF?

Was Warrior's last televised match indeed the SNME tag title match?

I'm watching SSeries 1990, what the fuck happened to Jake Roberts' eye?!!

What was the reason for Vince putting the gold on Flair?  Not that I'm complaining about it, but I still think its weird Vince would make the top star of his opposing company his champion.

Did they continue with the Martel / Michaels following SummerSlam 92?

How long did the Steiners last in the WWF?

The Warrior/Undertaker thing probably started in April/May since they had loads of house show matches during the Summer.

Vince wanted to do Hogan/Flair at Wrestlemania 8 but he changed his mind because Hogan was leaving, He didn't want a heel going over in the main and because Sid had a promise that he was going to Main Event.

No they didn't, Martel feuded with Tatanka soon after.

They lasted from January 93 until February 94, Scott made one last appearance in a King of The Ring Qualifier against IRS and then they went to Japan.I think Vince wanted Scott as a main event guy but Scott refused because he wanted his brother to be pushed as well.

Ha! I knew it never happened. Thanks for clearing that up now I can rub it in my friends face. You have given me great joy on this day.

Plus, when the Union was around in the WWF, Sid was in ECW. Then jumped to WCW that June.

Sid hasn't been on WWF TV since 97.

Was Warrior's last televised match indeed the SNME tag title match?

WWF @ Las Vegas, NV - March 26, 1991

WWF Superstars taping:

4/13/91 - included the Ultimate Warrior as a guest of the Funeral Parlor in which he was attacked by the Undertaker and locked inside a casket before officials could break it open

So 2 days after WrestleMania.

Warrior's last TV match was against Owen on Raw in the summer of 96.

Yeah, it was his last televised match until his return in 96. At the end of the show, Bobby Heenan suddenly blurted out "The Ultimate Warrior won't be appearing at Survivor Series" or something like that. Nobody really took it seriously, but that Monday on Prime Time, it was confirmed. That was the night that Savage chose Perfect to be his tag partner.

I believe SNME was also Bulldog's last televised match for WWE (til 94) right? He was supposed to fight the Mountie at SS, but it never went down.

Guest MikeSC
Re: Warrior's last match, I meant for 1992. My bad. :P

Yes, his final televised match in 1992 was the SNME tag match.

-=Mike

...I've always heard that WCW shot footage in Orlando of Sid with the WCW World Title to air after Starrcade '93. Has any of this footage ever leaked out?

What was the catalyst for the Terry Funk/JYD fued. I read some where it was racially motivated.

Yes, the angle was based around Mel Phillips (I might have the first name wrong) putting on Funk's cowboy hat. Phillips was a black guy, and so Funk flipped out and pummeled him. Thus, the Funk-JYD feud was born.

And, if my memory serves, Phillips was also one of the guys caught doing the naughty with underage ringboys, thus earning his pink slip from the WWF.

At the end of the show, Bobby Heenan suddenly blurted out "The Ultimate Warrior won't be appearing at Survivor Series" or something like that.

It was a little more subtle than that. More like "Macho Man and the Warrior won't be coming to the ring together."

Then 2 days later during Prime Time is when Perfect was asked to be Savage's new partner.

What was the exact date that Paul Bearer was first introduced to replace Brother Love as The Undertaker's manager.

I know it was between Royal Rumble 91 and WrestleMania VII, but for curiousity sake I'd like to know the exact date.

WWF @ Macon, GA - Coliseum - January 28, 1991

WWF Superstars taping:

2/16/91 - included the debut of Paul Bearer as he was introduced during the Brother Love Show as the Undertaker's new manager