TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I don't remember Jake being at the bachelor party at all (although he may have as I haven't seen it years), but I believe the bachelor party aired before the final Warrior-Roberts segment that cemented Roberts' turn.

the last Warrior/Roberts skit aired I think 9 days before SummerSlam. Roberts was not at the bachelor party at all, I just watched that recently

Why did Raven leave the WWE the first time back when he was still Johnny Polo?

Why did Raven leave the WWE the first time back when he was still Johnny Polo?

Because he wanted to Wrestle instead of Managing and commentating on weekend shows.

Guest drdrainoscott

Since I've been watching some 1995 WCW, I was just skimming through Starrcade and I noticed that Paul Orndorf came down to stare down Ric Flair in the main event. Now this was after the Four Horsemen "broke his neck" on Nitro a few weeks back. I'm guessing that the reason why nothing was followed up was because Orndorf was hurt or something, but they weren't really planning on a Flair/Orndorf fued were they?

I think they were going more for an angle where Orndorff gets back at all the Horsemen - especially Pillman. I think the only Horsemen not involved in that situation was Benoit. ... But then they pretty much dropped the whole thing by January 96.

Guest Astro

They had a follow up interview with Paul in the neck brace at a COTC (I think in Jan) Where he basically declared he'd be back to take out the horseman. If I'm not mistaken, he had real surgery and was forced to retire.

1.) How did Diesel turn face?

2.) How long was Hakushi in the WWF?

3.) Why did Diesel and Michaels feud leading up to Good Friends, Better Enemies?

4.) Who was in (Just the participants, not the guys on the outside) and when was the first Lumberjack match?

1.) How did Diesel turn face?

SummerSlam 94, HBK's accidental Superkick cost him the I-C title to Razor. A couple of months later in the Clique tag, HBK caught him with another accidental superkick and KO'd him again. Finally, at the Survivor Series, HBK caught Diesel with one last superkick. He got sick of Shawn and chased him out of the arena. They were tag champs at the time, and their split led to them vacating the titles.

Not totally sure. I don't recall seeing him prior to March 95, and the last time I can recall seeing him was at a house show here in Philly on Super Bowl Sunday in 96. I'll go out on a limb and say from February 95 to February 96, though I could be wrong.

3.) Why did Diesel and Michaels feud leading up to Good Friends, Better Enemies?

Diesel and Shawn had been friends up until a house show at MSG prior to WM12. The ME (I assume) was a tag match between HBK/Diesel and Taker/Bret. It ended in DQ when Diesel attacked Bret and Taker with a chair. Shawn tried to calm him down and Diesel ended up laying him out as well, officially turning heel. While he was getting carried out, Shawn promised to kick Diesel's "7-foot ass", and it was on like neckbone.

My internet connection is too slow to browse 28 pages for the answer so here it is.

1) Why did the fans hate Jack Tunney back in the day? Was it 'cause of the way he spoke of what? It really bugs me when they booed him at the begining of the Royal Rumble match in '92.

probably because they wanted to see the match, and not hear a speech from someone telling them something they already know! What's more exciting - watchign a Royal Rumble match or listening to Jack Tunney make a speech?

Tunney had also been made to look like a complete dumbass beginning the Andre-Hogan title change in 1988. How can the referee's decision be final when the assigned referee didn't actually work the match?

Other notable decisions:

1. Allowing The Brain Busters to win the tag teams titles on a 2nd fall DQ when the British Bulldogs didn't get them in a similar situation two years prior.

2. Reinstating Danny Davis from his "lifetime" suspension.

3. The mark mags gave him hell for disallowing The Rockers' tag team title victory.

All of these decisions played some part in the fans' views of Tunney.

Can someone give me the timeline on the NJPW/WWF Machines? I don't think the two promotions were working together but the outfits used looked the same. Which came first?

Not totally sure. I don't recall seeing him prior to March 95, and the last time I can recall seeing him was at a house show here in Philly on Super Bowl Sunday in 96. I'll go out on a limb and say from February 95 to February 96, though I could be wrong.

I'm leaning towards December 94 to March 96. IIRC, his last TV match was a squash loss to ... of all people ... Bradshaw. Kushi got branded after the match and that was all we saw of him.

Guest Astro

I'm leaning towards December 94 to March 96. IIRC, his last TV match was a squash loss to ... of all people ... Bradshaw. Kushi got branded after the match and that was all we saw of him.

Vince said on Superstars the following weekend, that "Hakushi was so shamed by being branded he left the WWF and returned to Japan"

Guest Fook
1) Why did the fans hate Jack Tunney back in the day? Was it 'cause of the way he spoke of what? It really bugs me when they booed him at the begining of the Royal Rumble match in '92.

I always figured it was because he had just stripped Hogan of the title a few weeks before the rumble due to the disputed finish at This Tuesday in Texas.

When did Bret Hart switch from wearing silver specs to pink ones?

He WAS on that episode of Prime Time, though I don't think he got in the door.

Jake (after being turned away at the door): "Tell Savage, thanks a lot!"

I always figured it was because he had just stripped Hogan of the title a few weeks before the rumble due to the disputed finish at This Tuesday in Texas.

Tunney was even less comfortable on the mic than Linda McMahon. And while Linda usually gets the huge face pops for making the decisions the fans like and can get behind, we usually only saw Tunney when something bad was going on and his decisions were less than fan-friendly.

I think his major flaw was that he just wasn't charismatic enough to get behind. Add that to all the controversial decisions and you see why he was boooed.

I don't mean to sound like an ass when I ask this, but was Giant's neck injury from Souled Out 98 legit?

This entire time, I have thought that Kevin Nash legit messed up Big Show's neck.

Thanks for clearing that up.

On the cover of 1992 Battle of the WWF Superstars, it features Roddy Piper Vs. Jake Roberts, yet unless I somehow missed it, its nowhere on the tape. It could have been a printing mistake and the match maybe on some other tape, anybody know?

Wasn't that a picture from the Royal Rumble?

Yep, it took me years to realize that myself.

*Rents tape as an 11 year old ... watches tape* "No Piper vs. Jake?!?! Nooooooo!" *shakes fist at sky*

Guest wayzing

*Rents tape as an 11 year old ... watches tape* "No Piper vs. Jake?!?! Nooooooo!" *shakes fist at sky*

So... Is there such a thing as Jake vs Piper?

Guest Askewniverse

So... Is there such a thing as Jake vs Piper?

I typed in "Jake Roberts vs. Roddy Piper" at Google, and it listed Cawthon's site.

WWF @ St. Louis, MO - Kiel Auditorium - February 1987

Rick Martel & Tom Zenk vs. Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake

Tito Santana vs. Paul Orndorff

Jake Roberts vs. Roddy Piper

WWF IC Champion Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat

Also involving: Adrian Adonis, Dick Slater, and Lanny Poffo

Dusty and Dustin met them at a bar and asked them to be their partners in Wargames. By that point, the Nastys weren't on TV too much (the tag team scene was hogged by Cactus / Sullivan, Roma / Orndorff, and Bagwell / Patriot at the time). They accepted and *bam* face turn.