TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest slacklet
Well, old style barbers (and some around where I live) wear bowties when they work.

So, that was a part of his "barber" outfit, I'm guessing.

But he wore long before he became the Barber though. I think the male stripper theory is about right.

His name's Brutus Beefcake.

Brutus BEEFCAKE.

Get it?

when was Randy Savage's last WWF apeparance on Monday Night Raw? I'm guessing he was going to host the Survivor Series with Vince McMahon in 94, but he probably left just before then, and Gorilla replaced him. According to the Monday Night War DVD, he was on WCW Saturday Night on either 12/3/94 or 12/10/94 (can't quite remember which), but weren't these taped weeks in advance? Also Savage was on the cover of the December 1994 WWF Magazine wasn't he? Did he do an interview with the Magazine this month of was it the WWF just bashing Savage for leaving?

when was Randy Savage's last WWF apeparance on Monday Night Raw? I'm guessing he was going to host the Survivor Series with Vince McMahon in 94, but he probably left just before then, and Gorilla replaced him. According to the Monday Night War DVD, he was on WCW Saturday Night on either 12/3/94 or 12/10/94 (can't quite remember which), but weren't these taped weeks in advance? Also Savage was on the cover of the December 1994 WWF Magazine wasn't he? Did he do an interview with the Magazine this month of was it the WWF just bashing Savage for leaving?

WWF Mag did a two-part "beneath the skin" interview with Savage just prior to him leaving for WCW. I own both, and I'd give you a rundown of what was said, but I never actually bothered to read the interview.

As for his last WWF Raw appearance...I really don't know, but I know he was around for Survivor Series build though. I remember seeing his first WCW appearance, and I thought it was odd because I believe at the time, WWF was still running those "SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!" commercials, but I don't think he was actually on WWF TV all that much in the weeks leading up to his debut.

McMahon announced at the start of the Raw 2 days before the Survivor Series that Savage had left and he wished him well. I can only assume Macho's last appearance was the Raw taping the month prior (10/17/94) ... either that or Savage worked the first two episodes of the November taping and then sat out the last ... which seems odd.

Guest slacklet

WWF Mag did a two-part "beneath the skin" interview with Savage just prior to him leaving for WCW. I own both, and I'd give you a rundown of what was said, but I never actually bothered to read the interview.

The December 1994 edition of WWF Magazine had two covers.

Subscribers got a cover with Savage and his dog on it while the newstand had a different cover.

Are there any differences between the Coliseum Video version of WrestleMania 4 (double box from 1988) and the actual PPV version? E.G by that I mean is there anything missing from the Coliseum version, because when watching it appears nothing is edited except when going to the interval after the Warrior/Hercules match plus the Coliseum version includes quite a few bonus interviews

Guest wayzing
Are there any differences between the Coliseum Video version of WrestleMania 4 (double box from 1988) and the actual PPV version? E.G by that I mean is there anything missing from the Coliseum version, because when watching it appears nothing is edited except when going to the interval after the Warrior/Hercules match plus the Coliseum version includes quite a few bonus interviews

I seem to remember it being complete. The actual PPV was just over 3:45 and the video is 2x2 hours. Great release but doesn't the tape shift occur between the Andre/Hogan entrances and the actual match or is my memory way off here?

I seem to remember it being complete. The actual PPV was just over 3:45 and the video is 2x2 hours. Great release but doesn't the tape shift occur between the Andre/Hogan entrances and the actual match or is my memory way off here?

The break actually comes in the middle of the Hogan/Andre match.

Mania 4 has just been re-released in the UK on DVD along with the Coliseum version of Mania 3 (which is quite edited) and they thankfully put the Hogan/Andre match together as one, which was good. Just a shame the complete version of Mania 3 was never released in the UK as we never got the same boxset released in the U.S

Guest drdrainoscott

I'm dubbing a copy of the SNME that took place after WM7 and there are a bunch of things that aren't making sense to me.

First, why is Macho Man playing a heel announcer after he turned face at Wrestlemania? He doesn't even mention Elizabeth or his retirement at all.

Did they ever follow up on the reasons why Tugboat, Hogan's supposed best friend, eliminated Hulk? Was it supposed to foreshadow his upcoming heel turn? (Speaking of which, did Typhoon and Hogan ever have a match?)

Lastly, what kind of final four was Perfect, Valentine, Michaels and the Barbarian in the battle royal? Barbarian and Michaels were still lower tag wrestlers while Valentine pretty much became a JTTS soon after. I don't get it.

I'm dubbing a copy of the SNME that took place after WM7 and there are a bunch of things that aren't making sense to me.

First, why is Macho Man playing a heel announcer after he turned face at Wrestlemania? He doesn't even mention Elizabeth or his retirement at all.

Did they ever follow up on the reasons why Tugboat, Hogan's supposed best friend, eliminated Hulk? Was it supposed to foreshadow his upcoming heel turn? (Speaking of which, did Typhoon and Hogan ever have a match?)

Lastly, what kind of final four was Perfect, Valentine, Michaels and the Barbarian in the battle royal? Barbarian and Michaels were still lower tag wrestlers while Valentine pretty much became a JTTS soon after. I don't get it.

1. Somebody's got to play the heel when you're working with Vince McMahon and Roddy Piper, and Savage had been wrestling as a heel prior to the retirement. Would you really want Vince, Piper, and Savage all favoring the faces at once?

2. Since Tugboat's turn just kinda happened and never involved Hogan, I have no idea if they were trying to foreshadow it or not. A similar incident had happened at the Royal Rumble that year with no fanfare too. They did have one match that made a Coliseum Video though.

3. Perfect was I-C Champion, and Valentine was still early in his babyface run (which might explain why he was in that long), but Davey Boy might have been a better choice for last man eliminated.

Speaking of Beefcake, what happened to him following WM 9? I never saw him again in WWF after that.

i think Beefcake was still wrestling non televised matches at TV tapings and at house shows until around June teaming with Hogan in most, if not all of them

Also Randy Savage was playing a heel on commentary until around SummerSlam and then basically became a face at the wedding

Guest drdrainoscott

You sure about that? Roddy Piper, who was a face, had been giving Savage advice on proposing for weeks before he actually propsed, which took place weeks before Summerslam. And even if what you said was true, that doesn't explain why they had him turn face and then revert to heel with no explanation. As for your theory of not wanting three face commentators? Savage wasn't a commentator, I believe, until after he retired, so it wasn't like he used to be a heel announcer. Also, McMahon, Piper and Savage did become a three man face team for about six months on Superstars.

You sure about that? Roddy Piper, who was a face, had been giving Savage advice on proposing for weeks before he actually propsed, which took place weeks before Summerslam. And even if what you said was true, that doesn't explain why they had him turn face and then revert to heel with no explanation. As for your theory of not wanting three face commentators? Savage wasn't a commentator, I believe, until after he retired, so it wasn't like he used to be a heel announcer. Also, McMahon, Piper and Savage did become a three man face team for about six months on Superstars.

Savage was still bashing the Ultimate Warrior on commetnary as much as he could on commentary, just because Piper was giving him advice on proposing didn't make him a face. Savage also hosted several episodes of All American Wrestling with Mean Gene in August and was definitely still a heel then. Savage just gradually turned face over time, and was sort of like Jerry Lawler does now, talking good and bad things about both heels and faces. I have 2 or 3 episodes of Superstars from August so I will re watch them and check what happens and I will even quote some of the things said by Savage.

Savage/Piper/Vince were a face commentary trio I would say for only 3 or 4 months because Perfect was announcing with Vince in December

Guest Astro

If I remember correctly, Savage praises the Iraqi Turn coat Sgt Slaughter during the pre match interviews, and Sarge calls macho a great American. So he was without a doubt playing to the heels.

i think Beefcake was still wrestling non televised matches at TV tapings and at house shows until around June teaming with Hogan in most, if not all of them

If I'm not mistaken, Beefcake teamed with Hogan against Money Inc. in Albany, NY on June 6, 1993 in the main event. The undercard featured Shawn Michaels debuting his bodyguard Diesel and regaining the I-C Title from Marty Jannetty.

How exactly did Danny Davis get a reputation for being an evil ref?

I'm not sure the WHOLE story behind it, but I know they said he pretty much allowed Randy Savage to steal the victory for the Intercontinental Championship...then later did the same for the Hart Foundation with the Tag Team titles.

Davis was the ref for the Savage/Santana IC Title change, but then never refereed another match for months. I believe it was either late Spring or early Summer when he started refereeing on a regular basis. He was refereeing one match at least every week on Challenge and Superstars and was always getting bashed on commentary by either Vince and Bruno or by Gorilla with Jesse and Heenan always sticking up for him. As time went on his refereeing got worse and he was obviously favouring the heels or doing whatever he could to help jobbers against faces. Even at house shows on the promotional ads they would announce a certain match to take place and would say Danny Davis is going to be the referee!

Also, its worth pointing out Davis mostly seemed to be a referee on teh TV shows and not too many house shows, and he was still competing as Mr. X on several house shows in the fall of 86 and probably later

Here's a question....

How did Danny Davis go from being a wrestler with his referee's license suspended for Life plus 10 years to being a referee again?

The angle was dropped.

someone posted it on the Kayfabe Memories message board, so I thought I would steal it and post it here!

Heres an answer to a question I think people might eventually ask.

Why Danny Davis was reinstated as a ref and when?

Well I was watch PTW 5-15-89 yesterday and he is there during a Bret Hart/Jobber match and Monsoon and Heenan are doing commentary so I guess the match is from Challenge. Anyways Davis is ref, and Monsoon makes a comment that he has been reinstated and is being watched like a hawk by WWF President Jack Tunney. This probably was his return as a ref since his last match wrestling was around March or April 89.

I just got the Hulkamania 2 video today (which is quite good btw) but at the end they announced the next 3 videos to be released these were - History of the IC Title, Best of the WWF Volume 11 and the JUNK YARD DOG. Anyone know why they changed their minds at the last minute and decided to release the Hart Foundation video instead? The match previewed was JYD & Andre The Giant vs. Terry Funk, Hoss Funk & Jimmy Hart in a handicap match from Toronto which I would have loved to of seen but oh well.

What started the Savage / Roberts feud?

Roberts and The Undertaker crashed the Savage/Elizabeth wedding reception.

What started the Savage / Roberts feud?

Roberts and The Undertaker crashed the Savage/Elizabeth wedding reception.

Actually, from what I hear, Roberts (just after his heel turn) crashed Savage's bachelor party on PTW and Savage told him to get lost which kind of planted the seeds for the reception and kick off one of my all time favorite feuds. I still love watching their whole ordeal at Tues in Texas.