TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KTID

Greatest Wrestler Of All-Time

Who is the all-time greatest in-ring wrestler?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time greatest in-ring wrestler?

• The Dynamite Kid
    • Tiger Mask (Satoru Sayama)
    • Chris Benoit
    • Jushin "Thunder" Liger
    • Jumbo Tsuruta
    • Mitsuhara Misawa
    • Toshiaki Kawada
    • Ric Flair
    • Bret Hart
    • Shawn Michaels

Well, lets get to it then. I have to say Dynamite Kid, the man who popularized Junior Heavyweight wrestling. Without him, there'd be no Chris Benoit.

Guest Ray

Shawn Michaels has no business being on that list, especially when the superior STEVE AUSTIN isn't.

Now, I haven't seen every wrestler (Kawada, Kobashi, etc....) so I can't rate them highly. From the matches I have seen, Chris Benoit is the best consistantly.

Benoit is the only North American with a shot at being on the list. It's basically him, Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi that have a shot at winning it, based on overall criteria. Somebody should dig up a Gordy List on some of these dudes.

Me? I gots to go with Benoit.

Guest oxymoron

Out of that list, I'll rank them like this

1. Jumbo Tsuruta

2. Toshiaki Kawada

3. Jushin Liger

4. Mitsuharu Misawa

5. Chris Benoit

6. Ric Flair

7. Dynamite Kid

8. Bret Hart

9. Tiger Mask

10. Shawn Micheals

Edited by oxymoron

You seem to be missing some anmes on your definitive poll.

Guest BAR

1. The Dynamite Kid

2. Toshiaki Kawada

3. Jushin 'Thunder' Lyger

4. Ric Flair

5. Kenta Kobashi

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Flair, Kawada, and Lyger are always right there neck in neck for my top position. At the moment, Lyger is tickling my fancy, so I voted for him.

Jumbo is rapidly moving upwards the more I see him.

And why in the fuck is Hokuto not on that poll?

HBK has more of a right to be on the list than fucking Tiger Mask. And I will never understand why Dynamite Kid get's so much praise as being the greatest, when his best work can't touch the best work of guys like Eddy, Benoit, Lyger, or even Ohtani during his 96 run. Sure he influenced alot of the juniors, but that doesn't make him better than them. Tenyru influenced Kawada, but I don't see anybody saying he was better because of it.

Sure you can make an argument about Dynamite Kid not being surrounded by the same talent as the 90's guys or if he could wrestle in the 90s he would be just as good...etc. But I would rather judge him on the work he actually did, which doesn't hold up. The style advanced and went on to produce better matches after his time.

Guest wildpegasus

I just wish I had more money to watch more tapes to answer this "accurately" but from what I've seen:

*going to "wimp out" and say no particular order*

Hokuto

Benoit-For being able to wrestle lucha with Villano III, brawling with Sullivan/Meng and adapting so well to Stampede, New Japan, WCW and the WWE. One of the most intense wrestlers ever who's had great success against cruisers and heavies.

Dynamite-Don't see anyone being able to do what he did in Stampede while at the same time trendsetting

Kawada-The more I watch of him, the more I appreciate his ability.

Lyger-Too good for too long a period of time. Charasmatic and a great seller despite wearing a mask. I loved his work against Sasuke at the J-Cup and the Sano feud which had me marking out big time for the learning of moves in subsequent matches.

Kobashi-the epitome of fighting spirit he has the ability to draw people into his matches. Great charisma, a great bumper and a track record of quality matches for over a decade.

Aja Kong-Seems to be able to control a match very well. She's been having great matches from Toyota to Satomura for a long time now.

Toyota-No, she's not the best seller ever but she makes up for it with her tremendous work ethic in the ring. She has a great moveset as well.

Bret Hart-Bret's always struck me as very smart in the ring who lives up to his nickname, "the excellence of execution" which is important because Bret's wrestling moves always look good. There's no going "Oh, that looks so fake" when Bret's wrestling. He's also one of the best ever sellers in wrestling.

Steamboat-For concistency. Every single time he was out there he had a good match. His worse match ever is probably better than anyone else out there. The master of the arm drag was a great seller, had tremendous endurance and of course is famous for his matches against Flair and Savage.

Edited by wildpegasus

From my limited exposure (ie North American) and the wrestlers on that list...

I'll say Benoit. I don't think I'll vote though, because I haven't seen the best work of a lot of people on that list.

Guest BionicRedneck

"The definitive poll"? A poll that doesn't include Hokuto, Hansen etc. but does include Shawn Michaels.

Anyway, I voted for Tosh.

Guest Rob Edwards

Hokuto wins it for me but I'll go for Jumbo as she's not there

and how is Shawn Michaels better than Tiger Mask CS?

I agree completely that Shawn Michaels doesn't deserve to be on a list of the 10 greatest wrestlers ever. But for that matter, neither does Bret Hart or Ric Flair. I just wanted to include the best US wrestlers as well as the best Japanese wrestlers, so that even those who don't know who any of the Japanese guys are can still vote on the best of who they've seen.

I agree completely that Shawn Michaels doesn't deserve to be on a list of the 10 greatest wrestlers ever.  But for that matter, neither does Bret Hart or Ric Flair.  I just wanted to include the best US wrestlers as well as the best Japanese wrestlers, so that even those who don't know who any of the Japanese guys are can still vote on the best of who they've seen.

Would you care to explain this? :shotgun:

Guest Ray
I agree completely that Shawn Michaels doesn't deserve to be on a list of the 10 greatest wrestlers ever.  But for that matter, neither does Bret Hart or Ric Flair.  I just wanted to include the best US wrestlers as well as the best Japanese wrestlers, so that even those who don't know who any of the Japanese guys are can still vote on the best of who they've seen.

Would you care to explain this? :shotgun:

Well, if one adds the top Japanese talent there's not much room for Bret or Flair...

Tsuruta

Misawa

Kawada

Kobashi

Hansen

Liger

And the rest....

and how is Shawn Michaels better than Tiger Mask CS?

Tiger Mask's best matches are said to be against Dynamite Kid from 81 to 83. That basically means that his most acclaimed matches were all against the same guy, who was proven in Stampede as an excellent carrier, not to mention that his job in those matches was to get the new star (Tiger Mask) over and make him look good at all costs. TM had great chemistry with the Kid (thanks in large part to wrestling him numerous times before going Mask), but in the end, DK was the one pacing, anchoring, and controling the match(if you doubt that watch the transition sequences when both men are down).

Now HBK's best matches on the otherhand were against a variety of opponents, and he was usually calling the shots in most of those matches. So HBK is proven as somebody who can put together a decent match with different opponents, while TM was never prove as somebody he could string together good matches with alot of different people.

Guest wildpegasus

"That basically means that most of his acclaimed matches were against the same guy,..."

To be fair, it should be noted that Tiger Mask had acclaimed matches against Koyabashi.

"That basically means that most of his acclaimed matches were against the same guy,..."

To be fair, it should be noted that Tiger Mask had acclaimed matches against Koyabashi.

I think their better than the 85 matches against Tiger Mask II, but their not as good as the best of the DK series. Also note that I used the word "most".

Before somebody further misinterupts, this there's nothing wrong with having your best matches against the same guy, but if it's obvious the other guy is the mastermind behind the matches.

This is like putting Gary Albright as an all time great because of his matches with Takada and Kawada. Sure he did his part, but the other two guys where the ones putting the matches together, and were specifically doing their best to put over the new guy and make him look good.

I take it we are talking about wrestling as opposed to entertaining. Thats why these guys are on the list.

Guest Rob Edwards

Tiger Mask had matches on a par with most of the DK and Kobayashi series with Black Tiger, Gran Hamada and El Canek off the top off my head, I've seen plenty of Sayama's matches and I've not once thought one was anything less than good

and as much as I love Misawa I can't watch his TM2 gimmick without pining for Sayama

Tiger Mask had matches on a par with most of the DK and Kobayashi series with Black Tiger, Gran Hamada and El Canek off the top off my head, I've seen plenty of Sayama's matches and I've not once thought one was anything less than good

and as much as I love Misawa I can't watch his TM2 gimmick without pining for Sayama

8/5/82 DK/TM is really the only Tiger Mask match that I would say would be an essential that can stand the test of time. From what I've seen it's probably one of the best built and structured junior matches from that era, not to mention it's so damn fast, while still doing a great job of touching upon their previous matches and furthering their story, giving alot of their lighting quick counters meanings rather than just pointless flash.

A few other DK matches(most notably "2/3 falls"), and some of the Kobayashi matches hold up well, due to their story telling over flash approach, but I wouldn't put them on the same level as alot of the better junior matches of the 90s.

I would be the first to admit that my viewing of 80s junior work is rather lacking, and as I see more maybe my opinion on TM will change(either for the better or the worse).

Though I haven't seen much of him, I've heard the Cobra was very underrated and was actually better than Sayama. I have seen some of his stuff, and I am very impressed by him, most notably his work with DK in Stampede and his very good match against the British Bulldog 2/7/84. He wasn't much of a seller, but than again neither was Tiger Mask.

Guest Rob Edwards

Yeah Cobra was indeed great, I wouldn't say he was better than Sayama though

I'll agree he's kind of a tough one to rate because his stuff was so different at the time (considering people still think Space Flying Tiger Drops are amazing now) personally I'd call the entire Sayama/DK series essential, if only to see the evolution of Junior wrestling, but yeah get some TM comps from 81-83 and you'd have a change of opinion if you were me!

In order of worst to best, just to mix things up...

Jumbo Tsuruta(Never seen his stuff)

Tiger Mask (Satoru Sayama)(Never seen his stuff, either)

The Dynamite Kid(Never really understood why people like him... But then, I've only seen 2 matches... Neither of which I finished, because they were boring...

Ric Flair(Well, basically he sucked. He was never that good a wrestler. Well, maybe for the 70's, but... Nobody talks about the "Great matches of the 70's".

Shawn Michaels(He was okayish. His athleticism got him over, even though he played politics, which makes him teh suq.)

Bret Hart(Here's the deal: Bret Hart rocked. Throughout his career. He's Canadian, which makes him gold in my books... I mean, honestly, has anyone ever seen a wrestler that actually made it to the big show, i.e.: WWF, WCW, etc., that wasn't great come out of Calgary? Or, for that matter, Canada?

Chris Benoit(CRIPPLAH~! \m/ I love Chris, If I was a gay man, I'd fuck him. OH, WAIT, I AM A GAY MAN~! HAHAHAHA LOL2003~! He is the epitome of everything North American Wrestling should be... Speaking of epitomes, WHERE THE HELL IS ANGLE ON THIS POLL~!?)

Jushin "Thunder" Liger (Oh, Jushin. He is teh roq. Best Junior Ever... Although I prefer Lucharesu, or Purolibre, or whatever you call it, in MPW over straight New-Japan style Juniors, Lyger still rocks.)

Mitsuhara Misawa(The greatest wrestler. Ever. Any style. Any Country. Of Any Era.)

Toshiaki Kawada(On par with Misawa, wrestling-wise, but I mark for the haircut and the tights.)

So there you have it. Discuss it amongst yourself while I go entertain myself with a ping-pong ball and some matches.