TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NYU

Johnny Depp Dislikes U.S.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Just one question, is it wrong to hate the United States? I don't, but it seems if anyone does say it, its considered racism. Are we living in a fascist state where everyone must think and act the same way?

I'll still see Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Johnny Depp's comments on the US don't have an effect on whether I see his film or not.

So he dissed America- big whoop. I've gotten over it.

Just one question, is it wrong to hate the United States? I don't, but it seems if anyone does say it, its considered racism. Are we living in a fascist state where everyone must think and act the same way?

You're allowed to have an opinion, but it's quite disengenuous and hypocritical to arrogantly disrespect the country that has given you sucess and wealth, when others who love and give their all to their country are struggling to get by.

If he said something to the effect of "I don't like the politics going on in America" or "Something needs to be done because the political climate of the country is really suffering right now", I wouldn't be pissed at all. But to call America a "dumb puppy" and "a broken toy" his children could discover and throw away is uncalled for. It's one thing to express your disagreeing opinion. I've expressed my disagreement over the government several times, including the war that I disagreed with. But his comments cross the line from dissention to insults.

Not all Americans have to agree with everything. But please, if you're going to make a living in this country, and take it's money, don't leave this country, say these unnecessarily insulting comments, and then come back and try to plug your next movie. Susan Sarandon pretty much made calm, rational comments about the war. Hardly anybody remembers her comments anymore. Michael Moore and the Dixie Chicks made themselves out to look like assholes, and many still continue to dislike them. It's not what you think, but how you say it. And Depp was definitely too insulting with his words when he continues to earn American money.

Johnny Depp's comments on the US don't have an effect on whether I see his film or not.

Well if anyone had the nutsack to follow up on their beliefs, they would boycott ALL Depp movies. Because it would be rather hyocritical to support his movies after blasting him for making a living off of a country he despises.

Well if anyone had the nutsack to follow up on their beliefs, they would boycott ALL Depp movies. Because it would be rather hyocritical to support his movies after blasting him for making a living off of a country he despises.

I haven't done that though.

I disagree with him of course but that doesn't mean I won't see a movie he's in because I don't like his political views. I mean I buy all of Al Franken's books when I hate the guy

While Depp makes American money, that large sums he receives isn't solely because of them...its the movie going throughout the world that makes him his large pay cheques.

While Depp makes American money, that large sums he receives isn't solely because of them...its the movie going throughout the world that makes him his large pay cheques.

But then he shouldn't come to this country to plug his movie at all then. No Letterman appearances. No Leno appearances. No interviews with the newspapers. He can then refuse to accept any box office shares that come from America, if he makes so much money from overseas. He COULD do this.....yet he won't.

The whole "Freedom Fries" idea was probably stupider than what comes out of actor's mouthes most of the time.

Well, we look to American leads as LEADERS, its quite immature and infantile to resort to such childish tactics. I expect George Bush to act with more tact and respect than Johnny Depp because he is the American leader. When he acts foolish, it reflects badly on the whole country.

But then he shouldn't come to this country to plug his movie at all then. No Letterman appearances. No Leno appearances. No interviews with the newspapers. He can then refuse to accept any box office shares that come from America, if he makes so much money from overseas. He COULD do this.....yet he won't.

Heck, if the American people support his work, he deserves that money. BUT, how many times do you see Depp on Leno and Letterman? Not very often. He rarely spends time in America, so one could say that he does practice what he preaches. he pretty much steers clear of the country as a whole.

Still doesn't give me reason enough to provide where I was born(and live)

Your IP resolves to a broadband company in Herndon, VA. Just pointing that out.

The whole "Freedom Fries" idea was probably stupider than what comes out of actor's mouthes most of the time.

Well, we look to American leads as LEADERS, its quite immature and infantile to resort to such childish tactics. I expect George Bush to act with more tact and respect than Johnny Depp because he is the American leader. When he acts foolish, it reflects badly on the whole country.

Uh, I don't remember Bush signing a bill into law advocating French fries be renamed Freedom fries.

Oh, aren't we getting smart? This is what the White House was calling their fries. It was pretty much out in the open as a 'supposed' slap in the face to the French. No, there wasn't a bill signed, but really, it would be terrible press if he did...couldn't get anymore fascist than that.

The story was:

Some little restaurant changed the name of their "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries." The story got a pretty big amount of press and some congressman looked at it and said "Hey, I got an idea." Thus, the change in Congress from "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries." Bush had nothing to do with the change.

.....not that the whole fries controversy is any less stupid.

Guest El Satanico

Depp doesn't do promotional tours because we wants to. He does them because the studio tells him to. It doesn't really matter how he feels about doing it he's being told to do it.

If you have to do promotional tours, WATCH what you say about the country you're promoting in.

If you really want to make your insulting comments known, have the balls to stand up to your studio and say "Hell no, I won't promote there." Then, go back to Europe and make exclusive movies there.

But don't insult the intelligence of the American public by degrading their country and then saying "By the way, I'm playing the owner of a chocolate factory. Check it out today."

Oh no Johnny Depp hates the U.S. How will I ever get to sleep?

Oh no WukenBloodstar hates the U.S. How will I ever get to sleep?

Oh no, there's a sense of anti-Americanism going on in the Current Events folder, and it's hurting my feelings! I think I'll PM Dames and tell him what's going on.

Here's what I sent:

I'm possibly being an oversensitive American as usual, but the trend of anti-American sentiment in the CE folder has turned from something that started as a joke to incessant vibes to out and out racism. The main culprits are Johnny Depp and WukenBloodstar, and while I don't for a second think it warrants a ban or a warning or anything so severe, I do think you should be aware these forums are read by wrestling fans in America, and the fact this anti-American attitude has gone unreprimanded as the acceptable face of CE is, in my opinion, kind of disgraceful and promotes the site in a very bad light.

WAHHHHHHHHHH!...

That was fucking hilarious. *Tips hat to KKK*

And I just think Depp is a fucktard for knowing little about, you know, foreign policy and all that shit. But then again, I really don't care because he actually may catch some backlash in the States from it against his movies. But whatever.

Bwuahahaha. Okay, now I'm off to find this guy's house and reprogram him to be a 'good' American. Be back in a few...

Guest El Satanico

He never attacked the American public. His opinions were aimed at the current political enviroment.

Just because he has major problems with the politics in America doesn't mean he should stop doing business in the states.

Guest El Satanico

Bwuahahaha. Okay, now I'm off to find this guy's house and reprogram him to be a 'good' American. Be back in a few...

Hello Saddam

Oh wait it's ok for Americans to bully people into falling into line...my mistake

He never attacked the American public. His opinions were aimed at the current political enviroment.

Just because he has major problems with the politics in America doesn't mean he should stop doing business in the states.

Sorry, but he doesn't say "Bush" specifically. He doesn't say the "U.S. Government" or "the elected officials." He says "America." This, to me, implies America as a whole. When he says America is a broken toy, is he saying Bush is a broken toy ? No, he's saying the country is. He's saying the country itself is something that should be played with and tossed away. And that's insulting.

There's a way to get your point across without degrading an entire country. I'm sure Depp knew what he COULD have said. But he ignored it, and tried to make his comments as nasty as possible. THIS is why his business shouldn't be welcomed in the States. Like I said, dissenting opinions like those of Susan Sarandon are expected and mostly understood. But Depp's just crosses the line.

Hello Saddam

Oh wait it's ok for Americans to bully people into falling into line...my mistake

Yes, I'm about to drive from Michigan to Virginia just to change the mind of some silly little kid? Wow, the CE folder really IS becoming uptight.

Guest El Satanico

Even if Depp was also talking about the American public, he's not completely unjustified.

A large portion of the American public has become dumb and are getting dumber year by year. Then after 9/11 they complimented that with hate filled ignorance to anything that isn't giving America and their policies a blow job.

I'm an American and this dumbing down of America has bothered me for awhile now. To see clear evidence of this all you have to do is look at movies and the movie goers. Join in discussions of popular mainstream movies at any board and you will see plenty of dumb people. You will also see alot of movie goers bitch about a movie if it made them think. Far too many Americans want mindless movies that don't involve thinking.

... And that's somehow the definitive judge of political thought? Movie Discussions? No shit that there will be stupid people on the internet. IT'S THE INTERNET. THERE ARE STUPID PEOPLE ON IT. GET USED TO IT. There are stupid people in other countries as well, but just because you don't interact with them every day doesn't mean they don't exist.

Um...is there another quote somewhere that I'm not seeing where he says he hates the United States.

He doesn't like the present politcal climate...as it says in the one on the first page. He likened it to a dumb puppy with big teeth that can do a lot of damage...and while I don't agree exactly with that, I think that a comparison could be made by some one completely against alot of the U.S.'s agressive actions. A argument (not a very good one but still) could be made that these actions were gone into without thinking them through.

He calls America broken now...He is talking about its current state which he doesn't agree with. It is obvious that he didn't take a shot at the American people.

I think most people are more pissed that they can't just say "If you don't like America, you can get out" to him since he doens't live here.

I still don't see a word about him hating america or calling america Dirty. Shit, I ain't to fond of corporate America but I'm not going to quit my job. I am sure alot of you are in the same situation.

Guest JudasSault

Most people outside of the United States hate America. Often quite passionately.

Make of that what you will