TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

Acoustic

Guest Choken One

What are some great or shockingly great acoustic performences that you would suggest?

I mean, I love acoustic if it's done right...Some people do it just to be cool or something but sometimes a song is better acoustic...

radiohead - "street spirit (fade out)," "like spinning plates"

bob dylan - anything from disc one of 'live 1966' except "mr tambourine man"

pearl jam - "yellow ledbetter"

bjork - "big time sensuality" (shut up)

jeff buckley - "last goodbye," "so real"

Guest Doyo

Nirvana "Unplugged"

Dashboard Confessional "The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most" -i'm not much into

whiny emo music, but I like this for some reason

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I can't fucking stand DMB, but one of his live sets has Tim Reynolds playing a solo number called "Stream" that is just insane. Dude is good.

I like Sepultura's acoustic stuff, like "Kaiowas."

Acid Bath's "Scream of the Butterfly," "The Bones of Baby Dolls," and "New Death Sensation" are all acoustic and great.

For non metal-oriented acoustic work, I'll let someone well-versed in Dylan make those recommendations, because that's the first thing that popped into my mind when seeing the title of the thread.

Jimi Hendrix did some KILLER acoustic material on his Blues album. Can't go wrong with most of Neil Young's stuff, either.

Guest drdrainoscott

They did a 12 song acoustic set before their opening band, Slater-Kinney, and they played a full set after that. 46 songs in total that night by Pearl Jam I believe. One of many great performances by the band this summer!

Two modern era acoustic based albums that I like the most are Uncle Tupelo's March 16-20 1992 and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's The Blue Tress EP. I think people like Jeff Tweedy and Ryan Adams have often wrote some of their best and most affecting songs backed only by that instrument. There's plenty of roots/alt country artists out there putting out great acoustic music.

Guest drdrainoscott

Have any of you guys ever listened to Matt Nathanson. He's probably my favorite acoustic act right now. Besides he's originial songs, which are pretty good, he usually mixes like 5 random 80's covers into his sets. I'd check him out.

More recently, I'm really liking Iron Maiden's 'Journeyman' from Dance of Death. A really beautiful tune with great lyrics.

EDIT: It's also their first acoustic song (with keyboard orchestration), so for atleast historical reasons, you should check it out.

Guest Choken One

The best Acuostic song I've heard (naturally)

"Let's Pretend"- Keith Caputo

I wasn't a big fan of the normal version but the live acoustic version is so soul stiring and emotional

I can't fucking stand DMB, but one of his live sets has Tim Reynolds playing a solo number called "Stream" that is just insane. Dude is good.

I'll kindly ignore the first part but Timmy IS awesome. I believe his band is called TR3. "Stream" is off the Live at Luther College album. AoO, I know you hate Dave, but you should check out "Halloween" and the cover of "Watchtower".

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Being at college refined my distaste for the band, since I was exposed to pretty much everything DMB has available. Halloween isn't the worst thing I've ever heard, Watchtower might be, though. That's one of the most miserable butcherings of a great song I've ever heard.