TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

25 most overrated games of all time

Over at GameSpy this week, they're making a list of the 25 most overrated games of all time. It's a very interesting read, even if I don't agree with all of them. They have the bottom 20 already done, and the top 5 will be named tomorrow. Here's the list so far:

25) Neverwinter Nights

24) Super Mario Sunshine

23) Battle Arena Toshinden

22) Star Trek: Starfleet Command series

21) Morrowind

20) Impossible Creatures

19) Battlecruiser: 3000AD

18) American McGee's Alice

17) The Getaway

16) Mortal Kombat

15) Dungeon Siege

14) Dead or Alive 3

13) Battletoads

12) Unreal II: The Awakening

11) Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

10) Halo: Combat Evolved

9) Donkey Kong Country

8) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

7) Final Fantasy VII

6) Blinx: The Time Sweeper

LINK: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/september0...ted/index.shtml

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone want to make guesses for the top 5?

Guest Salacious Crumb

Ummm......

Some of those games like Pools of Radiance are considered to be terrible games.

25) Neverwinter Nights - never played it

24) Super Mario Sunshine - never found that many people that loved it

23) Battle Arena Toshinden - you goddamn right it was overrated

22) Star Trek: Starfleet Command series - never played

21) Morrowind -never played

20) Impossible Creatures - played

19) Battlecruiser: 3000AD- never played

18) American McGee's Alice - never played

17) The Getaway - damn right

16) Mortal Kombat - it started the series and is important, but not a great game

15) Dungeon Siege - never played it

14) Dead or Alive 3 - never heard it overrated. A fighting game with bouncy boobs is all I heard.

13) Battletoads - fuck outta here, this nearly impossible to beat game is the SHIT~!

12) Unreal II: The Awakening - I don't know, I found it to be a great game

11) Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - never played

10) Halo: Combat Evolved - YOU GODDAMNED RIGHT ITS OVERRATED!! Fun, yes, gods gift to gamers, no

9) Donkey Kong Country - eh, I guess you could say so. I never liked it so I would be biased to say yes.

8) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness - Never really felt the TR games so once again, biased

7) Final Fantasy VII - ...*looks around*... never played...

6) Blinx: The Time Sweeper - never played

Tekken better *not* be in that top five, heh. I'd like to see Goldeneye there myself, it's alright, but not all that special. Seeing it above Half Life/Counterstrike on most top 100 lists is very stupid.

23) Battle Arena Toshinden - Yup. Terrible game that got over only on graphics. It's amusing that people once thought it was comparable to VF2 and TK2.

16) Mortal Kombat - Nah. It wasn't as good as SF2 like some said, but it was still a good game, and very influential, for better or worse.

14) Dead or Alive 3 - Yup. The same broken reversal driven combat, but now "great" because of ~graphics~. So many people called it the greatest fighter ever. Sigh.

10) Halo: Combat Evolved - Nah, it's certainly less overrated than Goldeneye. It deserves most of the credit it gets.

9) Donkey Kong Country - Yup. Graphics are all that this had, other than that it wasn't nearly as fun as SMW.

7) Final Fantasy VII - Bah no way. If anything should be on here it's FF8 and FF9. FF7 gets the backlash because it started the cinema driven RPG revolution, but unlike the others it was actually a great game.

Over at GameSpy this week, they're making a list of the 25 most overrated games of all time.

I'm not going to go into most overrated, just whether or not I think a game was overrated.

25) Neverwinter Nights -Not overrated. Any shortcomings in the game are more than made up for by the toolset.

24) Super Mario Sunshine - Fun game, but I agree it was overrated.

23) Battle Arena Toshinden -I didn't really see anyone who overpraised it.

22) Star Trek: Starfleet Command series -Agree. I can't get behind the fact that it uses the dynamics of 2D combat in space.

21) Morrowind -There was a small segment of dissident voices. Close to overrated, but not quite.

20) Impossible Creatures -I'd have to say yes, slightly.

19) Battlecruiser: 3000AD -Overrated? By who? Derek Smart? There was loads of hype leading up to release, but even before the initial copy shipped there were rumblings of decent. And when the first copies hit shelves, it was BUTCHERED by nearly everyone.

18) American McGee's Alice --Decent enough game for what it was.

17) The Getaway -most of the critiques I've read have been dead on.

16) Mortal Kombat -I think the problem is that this game hasn't aged well. If you see a copy of it now, compared to today's fighters, it looks like a joke. But it was a significant development at the time.

15) Dungeon Siege -Some people did give this game too much hype, though I do like it quite a bit.

14) Dead or Alive 3 -Yeah, slightly.

13) Battletoads -haven't played

12) Unreal II: The Awakening -It's a decent solo shooter. I think those that were disappointed were expecting something else entirely.

11) Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor -most reviews I read of this cut

10) Halo: Combat Evolved -No. However, I think that the PC version will disappoint.

9) Donkey Kong Country -haven't played enough.

8) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness -who over-rated this? Most reviews and comments I've read say it's mediocre.

7) Final Fantasy VII -I may get majorly flamed for this, but I am not into Eastern style RPGs. So in my view, yes.

6) Blinx: The Time Sweeper -Yes, and I think it suffered for it. It was a fun little game, but the hype machine tried to make it look like something grander.

7) Final Fantasy VII - Bah no way. If anything should be on here it's FF8 and FF9. FF7 gets the backlash because it started the cinema driven RPG revolution, but unlike the others it was actually a great game.

Even though I'm pissed it started the video cinema revolution, it was a RPG that was great.

I think the problem with this is that it came after what IS the greatest FF though (FF 5 or 6 depending on who you speak [more that I've spoken to have leaned to 6, but favored FF5's job system], and for some very few even FF4 is touted as it), and I think everyone can admit that after 6, they DID start to decline. Just FF7 didn't decline as hard or bad as FF8 did.

FF7 was a great game, no doubt. And it maybe does deserve to be on the list.

But as #7? That's just an awful punny place for it to be. I'd say if it was on the list, it should be closer to just making it in. Not it being almost near the top 5.

8) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

6) Blinx: The Time Sweeper

AoD is well known to be a terrible game, and BLINX?! How is that game overrated when it barely got much attention at all?

23) Battle Arena Toshinden - Yup. Terrible game that got over only on graphics. It's amusing that people once thought it was comparable to VF2 and TK2.

Er...who? BAT came out when Virtua Fighter was on its way to Saturn. By the time VF2 and Tekken 2 came out it was long forgotten. Plus I doubt this should really count since it was only overrated for a short bit.

9) Donkey Kong Country - Yup. Graphics are all that this had, other than that it wasn't nearly as fun as SMW.

Few games are. It had great graphics, some of the best music ever found on the SNES (you won't even give it that much?!), had tons of secret areas and was overall a very good game. Yes, it was sold on visuals, but it was also a good game in its own right.

DKC2 was also a great game, period. I hope to see it come out for GBA.

Edited by AndrewTS

ell, there was Toshinden 2, which everyone went gaga over, around the time VF2 and TK2 came out.

It wasn't nearly as successful, and by the time 3 rolled around no one cared.

Even though I'm pissed it (FFVII) started the video cinema revolution, it was a RPG that was great.

It was a watered-down FFVI though. It didn't do anything gameplay-wise that hadn't been done already, except for the Materia system--which wasn't too groundbreaking since it was similar to the esper system FFVI used as well as the Rune system Suikoden used.

Er...who? BAT came out when Virtua Fighter was on its way to Saturn. By the time VF2 and Tekken 2 came out it was long forgotten. Plus I doubt this should really count since it was only overrated for a short bit.

VF launched with the Saturn months before the PS1 was available in North America. VF2 came out in January 96, mere months after Toshinden came out, and the games were considered to be comparable at the time. And Toshinden got huge amounts of critical acclaim from everyone. It got a 97% in GamePlayers, which was one of their highest scores ever, and it was a game of the year candidate in many magazines. I'd consider that to be pretty damn overrated, even if people realized how wrong they were pretty quickly.

Few games are. It had great graphics, some of the best music ever found on the SNES (you won't even give it that much?!), had tons of secret areas and was overall a very good game. Yes, it was sold on visuals, but it was also a good game in its own right.

It was a fairly good game in it's own right, but that doesn't mean it wasn't hugely overrated. Everyone considered it to be better than SMW at the time, and like the article mentions, SMW2 was totally ignored because the media was so busy focusing on DKC2. Neither were bad games, but both got much more hype and critical acclaim than they deserved.

Most of the people I talked to said the Mario Sunshine dissapointed them, so I fail to see how its overrated.

One of the categories mentioned in the article were games that were hyped so much that they couldn't possibly live up to the hype, so that's probably why they have SMS on the list. It fits nicely into that category.

Guest Sakura

I like how they try to say if it wasn't for marketing MK would have been a flash in the pan like Time Killers. Yeah, sure. Virtually every fighting game, including the press' latest fads, VF and SC II(staring LINK), use the combo system MK started.

It was a watered-down FFVI though.  It didn't do anything gameplay-wise that hadn't been done already, except for the Materia system--which wasn't too groundbreaking since it was similar to the esper system FFVI used as well as the Rune system Suikoden used.

Um.. That's exactly what I said. :huh:

I said it wasn't as great as the great games of FF but it didn't deserve to be as HIGH as it is on the Overrated Games. Where FF7 is is where FF8 should probably be. Although it'll (FF8) be like Top 3.

As for the battle systems of FF, when have they changed? Besides modifications, they haven't for the most part.

And really, I'm just bitching about it being so high up. I'm not detesting that it is overrated, as I do admit that it isn't the BE ALL END ALL game, it was great. But great doesn't mean it'll BLOW SHIT AWAY or live up to it's hype.

BTW, I mean great as an overall game. And also speaking from personal opinion.

They didn't do them until 3. In the first 2 though you could walk up and hit punch a bunch and watch as the guy kept punching after you got done hitting the button.

OH and I think it's time for a Next Gen Battletoads...would it be impossible?

They didn't do them until 3. In the first 2 though you could walk up and hit punch a bunch and watch as the guy kept punching after you got done hitting the button.

Battletoads? Probably.

Then again, we got a Metroid game recently, and everyone though it'd never happen, so I guess ya can hope.

Guest Sakura

There are combos in MK and MK II. Juggle combos. Like if you do a deep jump kick as Cage you can hit them with a Shadow Kick before they land. In the first game it was very simple and didn't really get refined until II, but MK still was the first fighting game to introduce the concept which is still used today by like everyone.

Battletoads? Probably.

Then again, we got a Metroid game recently, and everyone though it'd never happen, so I guess ya can hope.

No I mean...would a new Battletoads be impossible to beat?

No. It'd be insanely easy as hell.

As it'd be on GC. Need I say more?

Then it's not a Battletoads game....

that's what we need again these days. An insanely difficult game that frustrates even the most battle hardened veteran.

No. It'd be insanely easy as hell.

As it'd be on GC. Need I say more?

Then it's not a Battletoads game....

that's what we need again these days. An insanely difficult game that frustrates even the most battle hardened veteran.

It's called Ikaruga.

It was a fairly good game in it's own right, but that doesn't mean it wasn't hugely overrated. Everyone considered it to be better than SMW at the time, and like the article mentions, SMW2 was totally ignored because the media was so busy focusing on DKC2. Neither were bad games, but both got much more hype and critical acclaim than they deserved.

Yeah, only Gamefan really gave Yoshi's Island the love it deserved, but they also overrated the DKC games.

Who the hell ever took GamePlayers magazine seriously?

Although now that I come to think of it, that was considered *the* game for PS at the time. It even was as the center of the horrible Sofia Says compaign, which was slightly better than Polygon Man.

Halo over-rated?

Man I can think more games that were over-rated than Halo.

And Multiplayer is pretty sad on Halo, one of the things truly lackin of the system except co-op. And if you played the first level, yes its pretty bland, but go play a level like Truth And Reconciliation, Assault on the Control Room, Keyes, on Legendary, come back in about 4-6 hours, and tell me it is boring.