TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RollingSambos

Calling wrestlers by their real names

Guest RollingSambos

Seriously, why do pro wrestlers have a hangup with fans calling them by their real names? The Undertaker immediately comes to mind. Imagine if Mel Gibson walked around demanding that everybody refer to him as William Wallace or Riggs, or if Will Ferrell demanded that everybody call him Frank The Tank.

The only person who seems to be really cool about it is Edge.

I think it's because wrestlers get this complex that they're living their gimmick to some extent. The way Gibson is presented when he does a movie is that it's him starring as someone else. Except in wrestling its just Undertaker and you are supposed to believe that there is no such person as Mark Calloway. Because he's only presented as 'Taker in the public, he'd rather be identified by that.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

It's also because to you they are their wrestling name - if you call them by their real name it implies you someway know them personally.

Guest RollingSambos

I think it's retarded. They are entertainers, just like movie stars. And a lot of them use their real names these days anyway. So the Bret Harts, John Cenas, Kurt Angles, etc. have no problem using their real names, but if you have some retarded name like "The SHOCKMASTER", you're off limits? Retarded.

Guest Fook

It might be because they know that only smarks would call them by their real name.

We don't exactly have the best relationship with some wrestlers.

Why won't The Rock use Duane Johnson as his name in the movies? Since he is not a wrestler anymore he should not use The Rock name.

I can understand why the Undertaker refuses to be called Mark Calloway by anyone who is not a personal friend, the man deserves to have a private life outside of work.

Why won't The Rock use Duane Johnson as his name in the movies? Since he is not a wrestler anymore he should not use The Rock name.

I can understand why the Undertaker refuses to be called Mark Calloway by anyone who is not a personal friend, the man deserves to have a private life outside of work.

I think the Rock has to use 'the Rock' as his name while he's under WWE contract. They get a licensing fee for using him. Once he goes out on his own he'll propably go with just the Duane Johnson. Hopefully he'll get enough money to buy 'the Rock' name/gimmick.

Why won't The Rock use Duane Johnson as his name in the movies?  Since he is not a wrestler anymore he should not use The Rock name.

I think the Rock has to use 'the Rock' as his name while he's under WWE contract. They get a licensing fee for using him. Once he goes out on his own he'll propably go with just the Duane Johnson. Hopefully he'll get enough money to buy 'the Rock' name/gimmick.

He owns "The Rock" name. He got it off Vince in exchange for Vince getting exec producer credit on all Rock's movies.

There's a big difference between Mel Gibson asking to be called by a character name and a pro wrestler doing the same thing. I assume it stems from kayfabe, where they tried to pretend that the workers really did have outlandish backgrounds and the workers were expected to live their gimmicks. It's just sort of become the accepted thing.

This, of course, is ignoring the sack it takes to say that a wrestler doesn't deserve to be called whatever he damn well pleases. So the guy who was born Paul Levesque wants to be called 'Hunter' in public. What's the big deal? More importantly, why should anyone except him decide what he gets called in public?

Guest ToddRoyal

Its also a matter of respect. In many cases (HHH, Michaels and Undertaker being documented ones), the wrestlers aren't even called their real names by OTHER wrestlers. If the people they work with and see almost everyday don't use their real name, why should this fan think he/she can?

In cases like this, the wrestler usually views the fan as trying to get over his or her "smart" knowledge. And they're usually right. Most of the fans who use a wrestler's real name do it to look cool or show off how much they know.

I don't see why it's even a big deal. So HHH doesn't want you calling him Paul. So what? If you had a nickname that everyone who knows you used, and some guy started calling you by your given name instead, wouldn't it tick YOU off? Just think of it from THEIR side.

I think it sounds a little too smarky and smart assish calling them by their names when you don't know them. Unless they've wrestled under that name and are well known by it. So don't call Gunn "Monty." But you can call X-Pac "Sean."

Unless they've wrestled under that name and are well known by it. So don't call Gunn "Monty." But you can call X-Pac "Sean."

The only known exception to this rule is Jazz, who is properly addressed by her given name, Hank, or simply as "Sir."

i think that has to do with a marketing standpoint...a lot more people know him as the rock than duane johnson

Guest The Imp
I think theres lots of guys with the same name, so called them by their gimmck name helps a lot. Ie: Christian or Booker T.

Huh???

Guest El Satanico

I think the studio is making sure they at least get the wrestling crowd until Rock gets his first hit and proves he's a draw.

After Rundown, I doubt Rock will need to use his wrestling name on his movies anymore.

I think theres lots of guys with the same name, so called them by their gimmck name helps a lot. Ie: Christian or Booker T.

Huh???

Christian = Jay Reso

Booker T = Booker T. Huffman

I don't get it.

Well, I understand both sides. I always call them by their wrestling names but a little thing in the back of my mind feels I'm being impolite. I grew up with the thought that you should always be professional and do the "Mister" thing. Like when Edge signed an autograph for me this summer I called him Edge of course, but my conscience kept telling me to say "Thank you Mr.Copeland".

The Rock said in an interview awhile back that him using his character name in movie credits is the proper thing to do since if not for being the Rock, he wouldn't have gotten his movie career.

It's one of those unwritten rules. In most locker rooms, when you meet a worker you don't know, you introduce yourself by your real name. But then, at least half the boys call each other by their wrestling names, anyway. (For example, there's about five or six guys name Jason working the indies around here, and it keeps it simpler to use their work names.)

If you ever want to have a good laugh, and maybe watch a fight, convince someone you don't like very much to go up to New Jack and say "Whassup, Jerome." Hilarity will ensue.

Maybe the Undertaker just doesn't want random people running up him and saying "Hey, MARK!"

Man, that would own.

I can see it now, Taker coming down to ringside at WM20, and in the front row, some guy shouting 'MARK, CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH MARK? MARK!!'

Guest The Decadent Slacker

For the record, if i ever get the chance, I'm asking for Mark Callous' autograph.

Imagine the rage that would be created.

I think it sounds a little too smarky and smart assish calling them by their names when you don't know them. Unless they've wrestled under that name and are well known by it. So don't call Gunn "Monty." But you can call X-Pac "Sean."

I agree. I hated how at times a while back any time a net report surfaced they'd put the real names in parenthesis. I don't give a shit.

Then of course you have nutbags like Warrior who legally changed his name to his wrestling name.

However, Taker now is basically Mark Callous anyway so I wondered why they didn't bring that name up, even if not Calaway. It could remain his nickname, like "The Game."

Although, I guess it could pass as a biker name...

Edited by AndrewTS

Guest FunakLee
It's one of those unwritten rules. In most locker rooms, when you meet a worker you don't know, you introduce yourself by your real name. But then, at least half the boys call each other by their wrestling names, anyway. (For example, there's about five or six guys name Jason working the indies around here, and it keeps it simpler to use their work names.)

Yeah that's how it is. Unless they actually introduce themselves as Adam Copeland or whatever it is disrespectful to call them by their real name.

Guest JMA

Taker has been addressed as "Mark" on television before. If you remember, the people who called him this were Shamrock and Sarah. It's Taker's real name IN kayfabe. Anyway, some wrestlers refer to each other by their wrestling name. And some wrestlers plain just don't like their real names.

Guest Choken One

Haven't he been refered to as MARK on wwetv on some Occasion...

I still remember Cena's double shot with the line

"I'm a piss on the MARK"... He refered to Taker and the Fans there...when he was saying something like no one thinks he can play ball with the dead man..

I was afraid of how many times Cena refered to screwing the dead Man anyways...Thank god he is back to making references to his large Johnson and Creating Gay Scenarios.