TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Toshiaki Koala

Best ending?

Regardless of how good the rest of the movie was, what film(s) that you've seen had the best/most memorable ending?

There's the obvious Casablanca

Heat

Unforgiven

Bonnie and Clyde

White Heat

The Usual Suspects

Everyone seems to love the ending of Chinatown, and while it's a great movie, I thought the conclusion was grim and anticlimactic.

Fight Club

Se7en.

Two movies, both of which had awesome endings. Especially Fight Club, which forced you to rewatch the whole movie after the first viewing.

Cube. To me, there's no better ending than that from a stylistic point of view.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The chainsaw dance is probably my single favorite image in film.

Cemetary Man. Made me say "Damn." out loud.

And on the fun side, Jason Goes to Hell.

edit: and Day of the Dead. Not so much the very ending, but you can't beat the orgy of violence directly preceding it.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

American History X. I loved the movie up till the ending but then I saw the "shiny happy ending" on the horizon and thought of how out of place it was gonna be. Then Danny got his chest blown out. Great ending that caught me off guard and yet fit the story perfectly.

my all-time favorite: it's a wonderful life

runners-up:

vertigo

citizen kane

the 400 blows

ran

pulp fiction

greed

schindler's list

a clockwork orange

ghost world

notorious

deliverance

the empire strikes back

recently, i really liked the ending of Terminator 3.

Recently I liked the ending to Matrix: Reloaded. Nothing like a good old-fashioned cliffhanger to get me interested in the next installment. Reminds me of the old serials.

Brazil. By far.

You might have heard a story about Universal refusing to release that film at first because they had such a problem with the way the film ended.

-Ben

lmany already named, let's see what hasn't been named.

Phonebooth had a good ending

Taxi Driver - classic

Reservoir Dogs

Natural Born Killers

that's just looking at some DVDs I have in my room at the moment...

American Beauty, esp. the shot of the gun rack with the gun missing and I loved the narrative voice over by Spacey.

Anybody else notice that Spacey's in a lot of movies that have good endings? This, Se7en, Usual Suspects

Begnini's Life is Beautiful, the story about a family in a concentration camp. I always loved that ending.

And of course, the ones already listed are pretty standard... Boondock Saints, Se7en, and many, many others that I could list right now if I didn't have to run off to class this morning.

Jason

Fight Club

Se7en.

Two movies, both of which had awesome endings. Especially Fight Club, which forced you to rewatch the whole movie after the first viewing.

CREEPY !!!!! :huh: ditto

Cemetary Man. Made me say "Damn." out loud.

I agree with IDRM here. I still have no idea what it means.

Good ones-

The deleted ending of Clerks is cool.

Full Metal Jacket's ending is UBER creepy.

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

A bunch of soldiers walking away from charred and still burning rubble while singing the Mickey Mouse Club song. Wicked.

Mr. Deeds, because I was so happy that it was over.

Fargo's ending is satisfying because everyone gets theirs...

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

and Frances McDormand is left to tend to her baby with her husband; and everyone's content. I like it.

Schindler's List. Powerful as all hell.

One of the best endings I've ever seen that hasn't been mentioned is Sleepaway Camp. You want an ending that'll stick with you, then this one is for you kids. Dames'll agree with me on this one.

One of the best endings I've ever seen that hasn't been mentioned is Sleepaway Camp. You want an ending that'll stick with you, then this one is for you kids. Dames'll agree with me on this one.

oh man that one's awesome, i didn't think the movie was very good but it's worth watching just for the ending. You have to see it

Fuck my friend for ruining the ending for me.

I can't really watch the movie now.

One of the best endings I've ever seen that hasn't been mentioned is Sleepaway Camp.  You want an ending that'll stick with you, then this one is for you kids.  Dames'll agree with me on this one.

Fuck my friend for ruining the ending for me.

I can't really watch the movie now.

Yeah you can. I had heard rumblings about the ending before I ever saw it, but if you watch it with people who haven't seen it, the collective gasp makes it all worthwhile. Plus, I was still frozen in shock/disgust by it despite having had it near-spoiled.

Also, it's fun to pick up on the subtle hints leading to the payoff.

Great violence ending: Young Guns, Scarface, Bonnie and Clyde

Great "damn, thats fucked up" ending: Arlington Rd., Requiem for a Dream

My "what the FUCK?" endings: Se7en, Fight club, Usual Suspects, Frailty

My "damn thats messed up" endings: City of Angels, Moulin Rouge, Shane

The Evil Dead, starting in the woods, the force goes through all the doors in the cabin and ''kills'' Ash.

In the DVD commentaries they say that's because in this movie everyone and everything dies.

If you listen to the music in the credits, it starts all happy and then turns all haunting and creepy. Same thing about eveything dying