TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

25 most UNDERrated games of all time

Well, now that they've done the 25 most overrated, they've obviously taken the next logical step. Here's 25-16:

25. The City Building Series

24. Wizardry 8

23. Blood

22. Um Jammer Lammy

21. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

20. Codename: Eagle Multiplayer

19. No One Lives Forever

18. Jumping Flash! I & II

17. Suikoden II

16. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

Since I've never played any of those games, I can't really comment on them. I can't really guess what games will be on here, but I'd like to see StarTropics get on the list, since it's my all-time favorite NES game. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Um Jammy Lammy is a great game. It doesn't get the reconigtion that Pa Rappa The Rapper gets, even though it's just as great. The best part is that if you finish the game, you unlock Pa Rappa The Rapper and play the game again except to rap beats.

I don't see how NOLF is underrated. It won numerous end of year awards and scored well across the board (as it should have, in my opinion, as I think the series is quite excellent).

There are like, two people who don't like Suikoden 2. It's overrated if anything.

The list is focusing on what the media said, not what hardcore RPG fans on message boards say. Suik 2 was totally ignored in favor of FF8 despite being infinately better than FF8, and was relegated to one paragraph reviews from people that didn't play it. EGM gave it a 7.0 because characters couldn't move diagonally. So yes, in terms of the media, it's unbelievably underrated. I'd have it higher up, myself.

Here's the criteria for being on the list:

"Poor Sales: All the ingredients were there: great gameplay, critical attention, even good marketing. But for some reason gamers themselves didn't open their wallets to take it home.

Outta Nowhere: These are the "sleepers," great games from unexpected places. No hype, no big names -- just fun from out of left field that people overlooked.

Originality: Sometimes great games are too experimental for their own good. These ones tinkered with new gameplay so much that people may have been afraid to try it.

Overlooked: Finally, a category that includes a little of most of the above. We can't say why, but either critics or gamers just plain missed this otherwise awesome title. "

I'm sure, and hoping, that Ico is on there, as it's vastly underrated.

If ICO isn't on the list, then someone needs their balls clamped!

I'd even put Mark of Kri on there, it's one of my favorites of all time.

Guest EQ

I bet that Ico will end up being in the top 5. The game is a classic in my view, yet nobody really bought it

I'm marking out for the fact that Jumping Flash made the list. I used to LOVE that game

There are like, two people who don't like Suikoden 2. It's overrated if anything.

The list is focusing on what the media said, not what hardcore RPG fans on message boards say. Suik 2 was totally ignored in favor of FF8 despite being infinately better than FF8, and was relegated to one paragraph reviews from people that didn't play it. EGM gave it a 7.0 because characters couldn't move diagonally. So yes, in terms of the media, it's unbelievably underrated. I'd have it higher up, myself.

Even a 7.0 is too high a score. Might as well put most RPGs up there because they're all overshadowed by Final Fantasy in the media.

Underrated is not the same as overlooked.

I think Jumping flash deserves its place there. Robbit was a true mascot.

Damn straight. First true 3D platformer, beating Mario 64 by a year or so.

Yet, II is far superior a game.

Klonoa's awesome. Didn't get the PS version but I have Klonoa 2 and the GBA release.

Even a 7.0 is too high a score. Might as well put most RPGs up there because they're all overshadowed by Final Fantasy in the media.

Eh whatever, Suikoden 2 is one of my all time favorite games. Most RPGs are overshadowed by FF, but most RPGs aren't as good as Suik 2 and thus don't deserve as high a place on the list, imo.

I want to see Vagrant Story on there. Amazing game, completely ignored for no reason.

Could Earthbound be considered underrated? I remember pretty bad reviews at the time, but people seem to like it these days.

It was well-liked when it was released for the quirky humor. Horrible marketing campaign, but good game.

Quick queston here, could Chakan for Genesis be considered underated?

Considering Gamefan did a Graveyard feature on it, I would think so.

Did that sequel that was in the works to it EVER come out?

Crystalis for the NES.

It's a great game I hear. Never heard a bad review on it, but don't know how well it sold. *shrug* So someone more knowledgeable about that could probably tell you.

Pretty sure it didn't because I remember signing a "save Chakan 2" petition like almost 2 years ago and you know how succesful online petition are(were).

Pretty sure it didn't because I remember signing a "save Chakan 2" petition like almost 2 years ago and you know how succesful online petition are(were).

Hmph. Figures. I wasn't sure because I don't even remember what system it was supposed to come out on.

The Forever Man was an awesome title in its day, and probably even today. However, I reeeeeeally sucked at it.