TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The ONE and ONLY World Series Thread

Pettitte's 3-3 in the World Series, and coming into this Series he sported a 5.08 World Series ERA. Sure, he holds the record for postseason wins, but that's entirely a product of the wild card. The record for WORLD SERIES wins is held by Whitey Ford, with 10.

Oh yes, if you want to compare Pettitte and Beckett, I'd point out that Pettitte didn't get his first postseason victory until he was 24. Beckett's only 23.

Pettitte is pitching well though. He's been the only Yank to pitch consistently well during the majority of the post season, with Game 6 vs. Boston being the exception, and he left with the lead in that game.

If I had to have anyone on the Yanks staff go against Beckett, it'd be Pettitte.

By the way...it's official.

Beckett is getting the ball for Game 6.

Carl "John Mayer" Pavano in Game 7 if necessary.

Guest Anglesault

I just realized how massive these two games can be.

If the Marlins DO take this in seven, there's a pretty good chance that they would have had to survive Pettite, Wells, Mussina and Clemens in the final two games.

If that happens and they pull it off, no one can deny that they earned the title.

Guest Ghettoman

I don't see how you can deny they earned the title if they win tomorrow, there just a great team right now that any baseball purist can love.

If they do go through Mussina and Petite in a similar fashion to Woods/Prior(well obvious they only have to beat 1 out of 2), than I think a good motto for the club would be "Pitching doesn't win games, we win games". Any club that can say they beat Prior, Woods, Clemens, and Petitte/Mussina definetly deserves to win it all.

In all honesty though, from a Yankees point of view, there's something in the air. Whether it's game 7 magic, or Steinbrenner ushering a new era in Yankee history by firing half his staff, it's there.

Guest Anglesault
I don't see how you can deny they earned the title if they win tomorrow, there just a great team right now that any baseball purist can love.

If they do go through Mussina and Petite in a similar fashion to Woods/Prior(well obvious they only have to beat 1 out of 2), than I think a good motto for the club would be "Pitching doesn't win games, we win games". Any club that can say they beat Prior, Woods, Clemens, and Petitte/Mussina definetly deserves to win it all.

In all honesty though, from a Yankees point of view, there's something in the air. Whether it's game 7 magic, or Steinbrenner ushering a new era in Yankee history by firing half his staff, it's there.

They didn't beat Clemens.

Guest Anglesault

Yankee tidbit: The team formed in 1903, won a world series in 1928 (25 years), 1953 (50 years), 1978 (75 years) and are in it for the big century mark.

Unfortunately, the almighty suck of Jeff Weaver (among other things) may be a force to powerful for even destiny and The Babe to overcome.

Guest BobbyWhioux
Unfortunately, the almighty suck of Jeff Weaver (among other things) may be a force to powerful for even destiny and The Babe to overcome.

I think Soriano striking out approximately 800 times through the first five games -- and all the runs not scored because of it -- might be more of a factor than Weaver, who has only been in and screwed up one game thus far.

Though I certainly hope Weaver "gets a chance to redeem himself" [wink wink nudge nudge]. (though if I were Torre, nobody but Pettitte and Rivera touch that ball tomorrow).

Yankee tidbit: The team formed in 1903, won a world series in 1928 (25 years), 1953 (50 years), 1978 (75 years) and are in it for the big century mark.

Stop blaming Weaver. Everyone knows he sucks, and knew he'd screw up. Joe Torre should get the blame for putting him in the game in the first place.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

something's been pissing me off about baseball lately and someone finally wrote a column about it.

column

I think Torre's a good manager, but I think he, like most managers, uses his pen horribly.

Guest Anglesault

Stop blaming Weaver. .

I REFUSE~!

It's just as much his falt for being a worthless lug that Joe has to put on the Play off roster so Jeff doesn't hang himself.

Is Luis Castillo a free agent?

The Marlins face the free agency of Pedge and Mike Lowell already. Along with Castillo, they were three of the four top performers the Marlins had this year. That's a tough hurdle, especially when the Phillies and Braves will be hot on their tails next season.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Gammons: Marlins not one year wonders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1646426

Hey, they were saying that last year about The Angels!

Exactly.

The Marlins have no business being in the World Series, either did Anaheim. I could name at least 5 better teams then them....6 if I include the Cubs.

Guest Anglesault

You notice that only like four people wave the Thunder Dildos in the Bronx?

They make me proud.

There has been 4 times already when the entire Yankee crowd has erupted for a strikeout, but it's just been a foul ball.

Can they not see well?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

If the Marlins win, its because the Yanks choked...this is terrible to watch.

Guest Anglesault

Just wouldn't be a Yankee game without multiple failed attempts to score a somewhat easy run and completely frustrating errors.