TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

So i've developed a gut.

The last 2 years i've been attempting to gain weight by eating more and working out. During that time period i've jumped from about 130 to 152. But instead of mostly muscle weight, a lot of it went to my stomach.

Maybe it was all the breakfast meal-replacement chocloate shakes, or the fact that I was eating pretty much anything to put on pounds. Either way I'd like to get rid of it. I go to the gym at school 3-4 times a week, run on the treadmill for 12-15 minutes then lifting weights. I haven't seen much of an improvement, and it's a real inconvenience when wearing certain shirts. Any suggestions?

So, you lift weights (arms) and you run (legs) and you wonder why you have a gut?

Simply doing any random excercise won't magically get you a better physique, especially if you're looking to improve a certain section of your body. You need to actually look into excercises that concentrate on your gut (Like, sit-ups or something) and do those.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
So, you lift weights (arms) and you run (legs) and you wonder why you have a gut?

Simply doing any random excercise won't magically get you a better physique, especially if you're looking to improve a certain section of your body. You need to actually look into excercises that concentrate on your gut (Like, sit-ups or something) and do those.

Running would help a little bit.

Fast. You will get rid of the gut, and pretty quickly. Just remember to eat sensibly when you start again.

I was under the impression that fasting was unhealthy. I thought it denied your body the vitamins and such it needed to keep you healthy. That's why they say never skip a meal. Always eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

I however did however lose 25 pounds on the Atkins diet. It is torture because the loss of carbs makes you hungrier than you have ever been. But it really does work...and it has noticeable affects.

Oh and another thing. Do you drink a lot of pop? I know for me that whenever I quit drinking pop I notice a sizeable difference as well.

Fast. You will get rid of the gut, and pretty quickly. Just remember to eat sensibly when you start again.

I was under the impression that fasting was unhealthy. I thought it denied your body the vitamins and such it needed to keep you healthy. That's why they say never skip a meal. Always eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

Maybe it is, but it works well. I don't suppose you'd want to do it all the time. If you're of a religious persuasion, you can use it for that too. If you want to beat the Biblical records, Jesus did it for 40 days, and Moses for 80 days.

Starving yourself plus working out is not a good combination. Just eat healthy, balanced meals and continue to work out. Try increasing the cardio time to 20 minutes and eventually 30 minutes. Supposedly, that's when the stored fat begins to be burnt.

I also read that ab exercises such as situps and crunches won't do much to get rid of the excess fat. It will strengthen your muscles underneath the fat, but you still need to do cardio to get rid of the gut.

Starving yourself plus working out is not a good combination. Just eat healthy, balanced meals and continue to work out. Try increasing the cardio time to 20 minutes and eventually 30 minutes. Supposedly, that's when the stored fat begins to be burnt.

I also read that ab exercises such as situps and crunches won't do much to get rid of the excess fat. It will strengthen your muscles underneath the fat, but you still need to do cardio to get rid of the gut.

Exactly...I used to do sit ups everyday. Now all I have is a 6-pac...underneath a gut.

When you lose the weight, go on David Boston's (WR, San Diego Chargers) diet if you want to gain muscle weight.

No tea party for Boston

A day in the life of Chargers receiver David Boston:

6:30 a.m.

Wake up. Supplements (8 pills).

7 a.m.

Breakfast, 3 free-range eggs, 6 egg whites, 1 tbs. non-GMO Lecithin powder, 4 oz. organic sirloin, supplements (25 pills).

9:45 a.m.

Pre-workout. Shake, supplements (8 pills).

10:15 a.m.

Workout 1.

11:30 a.m.

Post-workout shake.

Noon-12:45 p.m.

Therapy.

1-1:30 p.m.

Lunch, 10 oz. orange roughy, 2 cups organic broccoli, 1/2 cup (cooked measure) organic black beans, supplements (20 pills).

3 p.m.

Workout 2.

4:30 p.m.

Post-workout shake, supplements (8 pills).

5-6 p.m.

Therapy, treatment.

6:15 p.m.

Dinner, 2 free-range grain-fed chicken breasts, 12 asparagus spears, supplements (20 pills).

9:15 p.m.

1 cup strawberries, 1 cup cottage cheese, nighttime supplements (12 pills).

11 p.m.

Bedtime.

Workouts consist alternately of medicine ball exercises, ankle and foot strength exercises, 40-yard sprints with 90-second recoveries, grip training alternated with catching 50 footballs between sets, weight training.

Hes put on approx 60 lbs of muscle weight on that diet (he was around 6'2" 180 now hes 6'2" 245). Of course, it never says what kind of pills he takes, but it does say that it costs him over $200,000 a year to stay on the diet, so maybe its not such a hot idea..

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Atkins diet is a crock unless you plan on staying on that thing for the long haul. Personally, I've lost about 50 pounds in the past year, year and a half just by not drinking alcohol, and exercising regularly. I like the weight I'm at, I just work on getting tone via calisthenics and weights. Low weight, lots of reps. It's done wonders for my upper body. Below the belt, I'm all about muscle mass, since all the walking and moving around I do keeps my legs pretty fit. For your abs, just do tons of cardio to dump the fat, and lots of situps. There's at least a million books and videos you could get to tone that area, to varying degress of success.

AoO, did you quit drinking just to lose weight, or were there other reasons? Personally, I'd rather be a little overweight (I'm about 10 lbs heavy right now, with a small gut) and be able to enjoy a drink or ten when I want, then to be thin and sober.

That reminds me.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water - as in at least 8 glasses a day. It will speed up the process. That's not to say you can't drink other, less healthier things on special occasions (i.e. alcohol, pop), but keep consumption of that to a minimum. The same goes for the foods you eat.

There is no quick fix. If you want to keep the weight off, these suggestions must be implemented into your everyday routine. Because of this, it's easy to look at exercise and eating healthy as some form of punishment, but if you focus on the positive aspects (i.e. improvements in mental, emotional, and physical health as well as appearance), it's not so bad.

Guest Choken One

I've gone up and Down over the years.

A year ago I hit my all time "low" by hitting 235...I dropped back down to 210 thanfully...

Not much of a gut just not a flatboard stomach...

How did I do it? Changed my diet...I just eat Chicken and Pasta and do a lot of Running.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
A year ago I hit my all time "low" by hitting 235...I dropped back down to 210 thanfully...

Me too. I have just become unmotivated recently. I'm now at 255 lbs.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
AoO, did you quit drinking just to lose weight, or were there other reasons?  Personally, I'd rather be a little overweight (I'm about 10 lbs heavy right now, with a small gut) and be able to enjoy a drink or ten when I want, then to be thin and sober.

Completely understandable. The weight loss was incidental. I quit getting drunk because I no longer enjoy losing my memory and waking up in pools of my own vomit with strange cuts and bruises. The fact that it's directly figured into the deaths of several of my close friends and relatives played a major factor at that point. Anymore, I don't drink out of the habit of not doing it, ironically enough. I still have various vices, it's just that getting sloppy drunk on a regular basis isn't one of them.

I'll still have maybe a drink or two when I'm out and about, on rare occasions, but that's as far as I take booze anymore.

As far as the weight loss "mystery" goes, there isn't one. Just start exercising, and don't stuff your fat face with garbage like I used to.

Once upon a time, I was a revolting fat fuck like Mario Logan, only HEAVIER. Not quite as bad as what that Damaramu guy said, I think, but I was chunk-style.

I'm still a big dude, but that's just because I'm built like a brick shithouse, as mah grandpappy used to say. I'm not entirely sure to what extent that's a compliment, but no one sassed gramps.

I stayed around 165 up until a couple years ago. My all time high was the beginning of the summer at 190-193, and now I sit comfortably at about 180. Aside from some running I did through June and July, I haven't changed my diet or anything, my weight just seems to fluctuate.

AoO, did you quit drinking just to lose weight, or were there other reasons?  Personally, I'd rather be a little overweight (I'm about 10 lbs heavy right now, with a small gut) and be able to enjoy a drink or ten when I want, then to be thin and sober.

Completely understandable. The weight loss was incidental. I quit getting drunk because I no longer enjoy losing my memory and waking up in pools of my own vomit with strange cuts and bruises. The fact that it's directly figured into the deaths of several of my close friends and relatives played a major factor at that point. Anymore, I don't drink out of the habit of not doing it, ironically enough. I still have various vices, it's just that getting sloppy drunk on a regular basis isn't one of them.

I'll still have maybe a drink or two when I'm out and about, on rare occasions, but that's as far as I take booze anymore.

As far as the weight loss "mystery" goes, there isn't one. Just start exercising, and don't stuff your fat face with garbage like I used to.

Once upon a time, I was a revolting fat fuck like Mario Logan, only HEAVIER. Not quite as bad as what that Damaramu guy said, I think, but I was chunk-style.

I'm still a big dude, but that's just because I'm built like a brick shithouse, as mah grandpappy used to say. I'm not entirely sure to what extent that's a compliment, but no one sassed gramps.

I don't think I'm that bad. I weigh 245 now. And that's pretty good for my height.

All my weight likes to hang in one area....my stomach. Everywhere else is just normal sized....it looks like I have a beer gut.

But on top of that I'm just a BIG GUY. I mean I'm 6'4" and have a gigantic frame. So even if the gut dissapeared I'd never be small. I might be skinny but I'd still be big.

Anybody else have this problem? I guess I have the build like a wrestler...big no matter what...oh my god...I'm a hoss.

I'm 150 and i'm 5'11. Believe it or not the way i seem to lose alot of weight is going clubbing and dancing a fair bit there. Oh, and lots of water.

Guest Choken One

I dont know whats worse fat 260 pound SK fucks or or skinny anas 125 pound Jeff Hardy rave bitches

I dunno...disgustingly skinny people are well...disgusting. I know I just want to lose the guy. I don't want to be toothpick. Those people get made fun of just as much as fat people.