TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Any big league sports stars from your hometown?

All Maine has for pro sports stars is Toronto Blue Jay Mike Bordick and NASCAR's Ricky Craven (Is NASCAR even really a sport?)....however their are two guys from my hometown playing at major (well somewhat major in one case) Division One Universities...Quintin Porter, the starting QB for Boston College and Nik-Caner Medley (Who's well known around town for being a huge prick) who plays basketball at University of Maryland.

So anybody from your hometown or state play in the big leagues or for a D1 school?

If we're going by city alone, Barry Sanders is the only huge sports star to come out of Wichita

Darren Dreifort would be a distant second, but now he's only remembered for "what coulda been"

If you're covering the whole state, Kansas has produced two NFL HoFers (Gale Sayers, John Riggins) and one future NFL Hall of famer (Sanders)

I'm only counting homegrown talent, BTW, not people who only came here for college, hence Wilt the Stilt doesn't make my list in this case

Edited by Angelslayer

Hometown:

Mike Mussina

James Mungro for the Colts

Rocket and Quadry Ismail

Kevin Gryboski for the Atlanta Braves

I think that's it. That would be the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area of Pennsylvania.

From the Chicago suburb where I used to live (until 6 years ago), the biggest name I ever heard coming from our town was Sal Fasano (MLB catcher, greatest fame in KC).

I'm sure there are some (at least) from my current hometown, but I have no information.

A cooler thing than all that, though, was that Walter Payton assistant coached basketball at my old high school for three years.

Jason

Guest Just J

Gerald Wallace is from a town about five miles from where I grew up. I used to play basketball with him at this playground when he was in high school.

Guest Smues

Let's see Spokane has produced Mark Rypkin (in fact he was just inducted to the cities hall of fame this week I believe). He went to Shadle High School, my high schools arch rival.

Ryne Sandberg came from my high school, and god knows they didn't beat that to death. RYNE SANDBERG CAME FROM NC WE PRODUCE WINNERS!! Also John Stockton went to Gonzaga, but I don't know if he was from spokane, I don't think he was.

Richmond Hill, Ontario has a couple:

- The only figure skater man(?) enough to sport a mullet, Elvis Stojko

- Scott Goodyear, racecar driver

- "Hurricane" Helen Kelesi, tennis. Well, she's known in Canada, anyway.

Guest JohnnySwift

NBA "Great" John Wallace went to my middle school and also TE3 Winner Matt Capotelli wasn't too far away.

The town where I grew up produced Shaun Rogers, Detroit Lions defensive tackle.

The town where I went to high school has never produced a quality athlete of any kind.

The town where I currently live can claim David Boston.

There might be others, but damned if I know who they are.

NBA star and spousal abuser Jason Richardson went to my high school. So did former MLB pitcher Curt Young. Charles Rogers went to the rival high school here. Those are the only three I can think of off the top of my head. A couple more will probably make it big in football once their college days are over, too.

Richmond Hill, Ontario has a couple:

- The only figure skater man(?) enough to sport a mullet, Elvis Stojko

- Scott Goodyear, racecar driver

- "Hurricane" Helen Kelesi, tennis. Well, she's known in Canada, anyway.

Cool, I used to live there. I actually found this old newspaper a few years back with an article on Stojko in it.

As for where I live now, there were a few NHL players who are from Brockville. Todd Gill wasn't born there, but he lives in town now and you can see him around every once in a while during the off season. Alyn McCauley is sometimes listed as being from Brockville, too, but he's from Gananoque, which is about a half hour down the road to the east. As for other sports, the highest Canadian ever taken in a pro basketball draft, Stacey Dales-Schuman went to one of the high schools in town (not the one I went to) and I think she was friends with my cousins. I remember my aunt going nuts when they did a news story on her when she went to the final four with Oklahoma a few years ago. And since Brockville sucks, the goalie for Belarus when they upset Sweden in the Olympics and went to the Bronze Medal game played for the local Jr. A team for a few years. Larry Robinson also played for them a LONG time ago.

Where I go to school, the main three I can think of are Roger Nielson, Bob Gainey and Steve Larmer. A bunch of NHLers played for the Petes, too, like Steve Yzerman and Eric Staal.

Guest FrigidSoul

NBA legend Bob Cousey

MLB pitcher Tanyon Sturtze

Toronto Blue Jays General Manager J.P. Richardi

Guest Gatornibs

Clinton Portis (Broncos)

Doug Johnson (Falcons)

Ian Scott (Bears)

Chris Doering (Pittsburgh)

Guest JohnnySwift
Baseball (future?) hall of famer Cal Ripken Jr. is from Rochester, NY.

Talk about a complete duh moment. :bonk: I'm from Rochester too, and my parents saw Ripken's first game as a Red Wing. Can't believe I forgot about that

Greg Kragen, a former all-pro defensive tackle for the Broncos went to my high school in Pleasanton, CA. If you watch the Super Bowl XXIV highlights he's the guy swearing a lot.

Keith Millard, a jackass former defensive tackle for the Vikings during the late 80s and early 90s went to the other high school in town.

Randy Johnson, okay he's not exactly from my hometown or otherwise I'd list him first. He's from the next town over in Livermore, CA and I did live their for a few years.

Oh and there was a guy I went to high school with and graduated the same year named Scott Peters who was an All Pac-10 offensive lineman at Arizona State and he was drafted by the Eagles last year but went to see if he was still there but looks like he's already out of the NFL. He was basically your typical dumb jock.

Guest stardust

Ladanian Tomlinson (my older sister was actually really good friends with him in high school), Jason Tucker (ex-Cowboys wide receiver), I know there are at least a few baseball players but damned if I can't remember their names. And Mean Joe Green graduated from UNT (which is why we're nicknamed the Mean Green).

Hometown:

Mike Mussina

James Mungro for the Colts

Rocket and Quadry Ismail

Kevin Gryboski for the Atlanta Braves

I think that's it. That would be the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area of Pennsylvania.

Pitcher Steve Kline is from our area as well.

Guest Just Looking
NBA "Great" John Wallace went to my middle school and also TE3 Winner Matt Capotelli wasn't too far away.

Plus you had Roland Williams. I went to college in Rochester, and observed at East High, where he went to school.

(Is NASCAR even really a sport?)

No.

Walter Payton coached basketball in the Northwest suburbs? That's awesome. I didn't know about that. I do know that Mike Singletary goes to church at Willow Creek, that big non-denominational (so I think) church around there.

Jeff Beukeboom used to live down the street when I was a kid.

I live in Ottawa now, and other than a ton of NHL players the only guy I can think of is QB Jesse Palmer of the New York Giants.

Also, I live with a guy who's best friend is Justin Williams from the Flyers.