TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest drdrainoscott

Ric Flair DVD

Luger-Starrcade 88

The Other Steamboat Match (in 89, not the 94)

Flair/Vader

Flair/Savage

Flair/Perfect

Flair/Anderson

Flair/Undertaker

---

And to think I sat here for five minutes trying to think of who else Flair feuded with, and NONE of those came to mind.

Add the Flair-Ricky Morton feud from 1986 to that set, and I'd get it in a New York minute.

I'd love to see their first confrontation from the old Saturday night show again. And how about the Horsemen beatdown at the Omni later on? Remember Flair grinding Morton's face into the concrete floor? Put it all on there!

Personally, I can't wait to see what they'll do with the Mick Foley DVD.

Me too, buddy, me too.

-Ben

They already announced Foley's dvd set is only 2. Don't forget most of foleys big WWF matches came during the attitude era. So I imagine the dvd will contain a lot of WCW and early WWF footage and highlights of the rest.

I got it last night and from what I've seen, which is just the full Royal Rumble, it's been great. The tribute from after Raw is pretty cool, although I expected something more. I saw the first fall of the 2/3 Falls match with Ricky Steamboat and it was great. The packaging of the DVD itself is great, I love how it folds out and has classic pictures.

On the back of the DVD box there is a pic of Flair and UT, I can not find it on the DVD, is it a hidden egg or what?

Not that I know of . . . I really have no idea why they put that on the back and not a pic from the Raw Tribute.

Do they sell WWE DVD's at Best Buy? I'm going up to the mall either tonight or tomorrow to pick up the new Kid Rock CD. I might get this as well.

Well, We do know seven matches off the top of our heads that they didn't include

Luger-Starrcade 88

Flair/Vader

Flair/Savage

Flair/Perfect

Flair/Anderson

Flair/Undertaker

If there's a sequel, I don't know if they can put out 3 more discs...I can see another 6 Hour disc with them putting those Six Matches (that's about 2 1/2 hours and have the hype for those five matches and show some Late 1990's WCW stuff with Flair having commentary on it complaining about it and chewing Bischoff and Russo about it...and Maybe some more less known WCW Saturday Night footage and have more vintage promos and shit...

I really think they should include the last Flair/Steamboat match in 1994 on the Main Event after Flair lost the WCW Title. It was only about 15 minutes, but VERY exciting. Steve Austin also made a run in, making it more 'WWE relevent'.

Antbody watch his debut match in the WWWF w/ Pete Sanchez? It's got the wierdest commentary on it- dead silence for three minutes, then some spotty call outs from Vince, then he actually starts talking near the end of the match.

And in true Vinnie-Mac form, he called a suplex a neckbreaker.

Whatamaneuver!

Guest Askewniverse
Antbody watch his debut match in the WWWF w/ Pete Sanchez? It's got the wierdest commentary on it- dead silence for three minutes, then some spotty call outs from Vince, then he actually starts talking near the end of the match.

And in true Vinnie-Mac form, he called a suplex a neckbreaker.

Whatamaneuver!

I saw it. The match wasn't anything special, but it's a nice extra. It was kinda weird that there wasn't any commentary for the first few minutes. Maybe Vince fell asleep or something.

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

The ending kinda took me by surprise. I expected Flair to win, but not with a vertical suplex.

On the back of the DVD box there is a pic of Flair and UT, I can not find it on the DVD, is it a hidden egg or what?

WWF @ Landover, MD - Capital Centre - September 2, 1992

Wrestling Challenge taping:

The Undertaker defeated WWF World Champion Ric Flair via disqualification after Mr. Perfect hit the challenger with a chair; after the match, the Undertaker hit the tombstone on Flair

That's the match. It took place 1 day after Flair regained the title and was included on CHV's Wrestling's Grudge Matches (93) and an Undertaker tape from the same year (not the crappy 1-hour "He Buries Them Alive..." or the other one from 94 where he faces Crush, Bam Bam, etc).

As far as the MSG commentary, I wouldn't attribute it to a bad microphone. Maybe when the Flair match initially aired, it started at the point where Vince began the commentary. Just an idea.

Although I'm sure they taped the entire show when at MSG, I know of at least once case where a top match was never televised - Backlund / Race in a rare WWF vs. NWA title match in September 1980. When that card was shown on the MSG Network, they replaced the match with the Hogan / Andre bout from Shea Stadium which took place the month prior. So of course, if they still have Backlund / Race in the vault somewhere, I assume that match would have no commentary at all.

Luger-Starrcade 88

Flair/Vader

Flair/Savage

Flair/Perfect

Flair/Anderson

Flair/Undertaker

Screw Flair/Taker. The rest is a good start. Flair's got enough material for at least 2 more 3-disc DVDs.

Off the top of my head, Flair/Benoit from WCW, Flair v.s. Bret from WWF (if they've got an Ironman match in the vault somewhere, great, if not they have one with "Real World's CHamp" Flair v.s. IC Champ Bret), Flair v.s. HBK from this year, Flair/HBK v.s. Bret/Savage. Also Flair/Hogan from Nitro when Flair finally pins Hogan just for kicks.

You have to have the Flair return to Nitro in Greensboro on the next set as well.

Also a lot more vintage 4 Horsemen stuff.... throw a Wargames match on there.

That's not even counting all the tag matches, older footage, etc. The well is really far from being run dry when you're talking about Ric Flair.

Guest drdrainoscott

Who would have ever thought that the day would come where we are praying that Vince keeps on duplicating his successes? I am almost positive we will get another set for Flair due to the success of this one. Although knowing WWE, they will probably decide that they don't want to test their luck and possibly burn out Flair, so they will stop while they are ahead.

Luger-Starrcade 88

Flair/Vader

Flair/Savage

Flair/Perfect

Flair/Anderson

Flair/Undertaker

Screw Flair/Taker. The rest is a good start. Flair's got enough material for at least 2 more 3-disc DVDs.

Off the top of my head, Flair/Benoit from WCW, Flair v.s. Bret from WWF (if they've got an Ironman match in the vault somewhere, great, if not they have one with "Real World's CHamp" Flair v.s. IC Champ Bret), Flair v.s. HBK from this year, Flair/HBK v.s. Bret/Savage. Also Flair/Hogan from Nitro when Flair finally pins Hogan just for kicks.

You have to have the Flair return to Nitro in Greensboro on the next set as well.

Also a lot more vintage 4 Horsemen stuff.... throw a Wargames match on there.

That's not even counting all the tag matches, older footage, etc. The well is really far from being run dry when you're talking about Ric Flair.

Indeed, there is so much awesome in Flair's career that I honestly believe they could release TWO more 3 DVD sets packed with material. Besides everything already mentioned what about all his classic matches with Sting? He had a bunch of matches with Luger that were really excellent. Chi Town Rumble and even his Spring Stampede 94 match with Steamboat are must sees. And in the WCW era he had some excellent matches with Randy Savage and a classic cage match with Hogan. The Eric Bischoff feud and match on Nitro where he won ownership (the place just exploded for that). Of course that leads to all of his classic segments as president with Charles Robinson and Arn Anderson in his administration. And then his commitment to a mental home. And of course they must include the entire Horsemen reformation from 98, still the greatest moment in wrestling I have ever seen. Hell, the match with his son from 2000 for novelty's sake. And this is all just mostly recent stuff, Im sure theres tons of stuff from the early and mid 80s that could be released too.

Guest Askewniverse

Other classic Flair matches that haven't been mentioned yet:

Flair vs. Pillman (Saturday Night, February 1990)

Flair vs. Steamboat (Saturday Night, May 1994)

Flair & Anderson vs. The Hollywood Blondes (Clash XXIII)

Edited by Askewniverse

Flair vs Luger vs Sting and then vs Savage from Starrcade 1995

Flair vs IWGP champion Fujinami?

The first match in Japan or the second match at Superbrawl I?

Or both?

I would like to see the one from the Egg Dome in Japan but the one from Florida would be good enough.

Guest Choken One
Flair vs IWGP champion Fujinami?

Flair vs Rey Mysterio at Spring Break, Panama City, Florida.

If it includes the Lottery Drawing and the Promo Flair cuts on the boardwalk...I'm there...

Flair: Double A! I got a IDEA!

AA: What's that Nature?

Flair: I WANT TO DEFEND MY TITLE TONIGHT! RIGHT HERE ON THE BEACH! WHOO!

AA: WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS? AGAINST WHO?!?

FLAIR: WHO CARES!

AA: WELL..

FLAIR: LETHAL LOTTERY! WHOO! WE'LL HAVE A LOTTERY TO PICK MY CHALLENGER! WHOO!

AA: A LOTTERY?

FLAIR: WHOO! A LOTTERY BABY! IT'S GONNA BE THE GREATEST!

AA: OK...

FLAIR: WHOO! (STARTS STRUTING AND RUNNING) HEY! CRUISERWEIGHTS! LOTSA CRUISERWEIGHTS!

Then Later....About 25 CW's and Jobbers and I believe random college kids are all in a circle around the ring and the pool...

Of course Flair and Arn walk across the bridge as Flair dances.

Arn and Ric take the ring...

Ric: WE'RE GONNA HAVE A LOTTERY! ARN DRAW A NUMBER!

Arn: All right.

*He draws*

Flair: WHOO! WHO IS IT! TELL ME! WHO IS IT! WHOO!

Anderson: #???

*silence*

Flair: C'mon son! It's the one and only chance to face the man WHOO! YOU CAN TELL YOUR KIDS ABOUT IT!

*Music Plays*

Flair and Arn are confused...

Mysterio strolls out to the ring...with a Grin...

FLAIR: WHAT? NO! NO! NO! HE WAS NOT IN THE LOTTERY! ABSOLUTLY NOT! NOT GONNA HAPPEN! ARN DRAW ANOTHER NUMBER!

Then they have the match and it ends with Mysterio coming DAMN near winning the WCW title but It ends with Flair and Arn drowing in the pool...Flair screaming for help as he floats away...

I'd be curious to see the one at SBI again if only for the fact that I want to hear that theme he used for most of '91 in WCW before getting booted... I believe it was the only time in his NWA/WCW career that he didn't come out to "Also Sprach Zarathustra"

Can't forget Undertaker / Flair Vs. Hogan / Sid from SNME

The classic Funeral Parlor culminating in Hogan's beatdown.

And then there's always Saskatoon, but they'll probably save that for Bret's DVD.

Then they have the match and it ends with Mysterio coming DAMN near winning the WCW title but It ends with Flair and Arn drowing in the pool...Flair screaming for help as he floats away...

I swear, they did not utilize the pool enough (as much as they should have) on those Spring Break shows

Guest Choken One

I swear, they did not utilize the pool enough (as much as they should have) on those Spring Break shows

Or the god damn ocean...

I do recall Luger and Savage wrestling in the ocean once though...

WWE needs to steal that...

Or the god damn ocean...

I remember when they were hyping the "Falls Count Anywhere on the Gulf Coast" match between Sting and Foley at BB'92, I was making jokes that the match would wind up on the beach

Disappointingly, not only did the match not leave the arena, it didn't even leave the ring entrance...

Guest Choken One

Or the god damn ocean...

I remember when they were hyping the "Falls Count Anywhere on the Gulf Coast" match between Sting and Foley at BB'92, I was making jokes that the match would wind up on the beach

Disappointingly, not only did the match not leave the arena, it didn't even leave the ring entrance...

It didn't fucking NEED to.

I also miss those long ramps...

It didn't fucking NEED to.

Maybe not, but I'm remembering it through my 12 y/o mark eyes than my 23 y/o smark eyes

I also miss those long ramps...

Ditto. The long raised ramps were the shit-and-a-half