TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

20 years ago tonight....

hogan-hulk13.jpg

On January 23, 1984, in front of a sold-out crowd in Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan defeated the Iron Shiek in 5:30 to capture his first WWE Championship.

On this date, the wrestling and cultural legend known as Hulkamania was born.

*gets in time machine*

I'm going back in time to save pro wrestling.

*'Hulk Still Rules' DVD suddenly morphs to 'Shiek Still Rules'*

I don't know...I get the whole Hogan thing on one level...but I also know that he had nothing to do with my interest in pro wrestling as a kid.

I found him more interesting to watch when he turned heel and even in his WWE return than I ever did as a kid watching him.

Guest Deebo

That's pretty cool, I was never into Hulkamania though. I didn't hate him, I just didn't like him. I was always more of a fan of Randy Savage and the Ultimate Warrior when he was feuding with them.

Same here. I was an Ultimate Warrior fan. Before that I was a Junk Yard Dog fan.

My history of favorite wrestler goes thusly:

1. Junk Yard Dog

2. Ultimate Warrior (from probably around before Mania 5 until he lost the title)

3. Steve Ausin (starting with the Hollywood Blondes)

4. RVD (starting with Austin's title win at Mania 14. A few days later I saw RVD beat Bam Bam for the TV title...and he became my guy)

5. I don't know who it is today. RVD bums me out...so I root for Chris Sabin and The Truth mostly I guess.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Wow, revisionist history actually works.

Hulkamania was alive and well in Minnesota long before Hogan ever got to New York the second time.

Hey, Verne had his chance to put the belt on Hogan.

I find it hilarous that hulkamania was really born from a booking error from when he was originally a heel, yet was booked against another heel and had to play the face role.

I find it hilarous that hulkamania was really born from a booking error from when he was originally a heel, yet was booked against another heel and had to play the face role.

Yeah, I noticed that it was kinda odd how Hogan (a face) jumped Shiek from behind to open the match.

Hogan was everything I disliked about wrestling in the 80's. His goofy persona, not his wrestling, by the way. The first time I actually remember seeing a full Hogan match, he was getting whacked in the head with a shoe while he was handcuffed to a ringpost, or something like that. People bitch about how Raw would be based completely around HHH. HA! Hogan was far worse in the 80's. I never understood why so many people liked the goon.

I don't think that wrestling would be non-existent right now if not for Hogan, however I think we would probably see a very different wrestling era right now. Without WWF rising to prominence, I don't know if Turner would have been spurned on to bring WCW to national TV, but maybe he still would have.

Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair had EVERYTHING to do with my budding interest in this industry, I'll forever be a fan of both of them regardless of whatever they do.

Whoops.

Anyways...

What if Hogan kills Flair, but at the same time, Flair kills Hogan... ARE YOU STILL A FAN THEN??!

I'll still be a fan of what they did in their careers.

You know, besides the little "murder" thing. I just can't get over that you are such a Hogan fan, it's so weird.

Guest FrigidSoul

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Barry Whindam, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, and of course Scott Hall(starting with his Diamond Studd gimmik) made me a wrestling fan. I found Hogan's matches boring and thought that when he left and Bret Hart started taking the company on his back was when things began to get better...of course that very moment in history was a negative for WCW as Vader's career was instantly squashed and Ric Flair was dropped into the mid-card.

On January 23, 1984, in front of a sold-out crowd in Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan defeated the Iron Shiek in 5:30 to capture his first WWE Championship.

Hmmm that's funny I don't remember him winning his 1st WWE championship on that night but, I do remember him winning his first WWF belt on that night. ;)

I'm just messing with you dude. :P

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Barry Whindam, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, and of course Scott Hall(starting with his Diamond Studd gimmik) made me a wrestling fan.

So much of a fan that you spelled WINDHAM's name completely wrong.

Guest FrigidSoul
Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Barry Whindam, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, and of course Scott Hall(starting with his Diamond Studd gimmik) made me a wrestling fan.

OMG, I made a typo whilst typing extremely fast...that's it...rip off my Old School Wrestling Fan merit badge this instant!!!

OMG, I made a typo whilst typing extremely fast...that's it...rip off my Old School Wrestling Fan merit badge this instant!!!

*rip*

Silly boy.

Cawthon sez:

The Invaders fought Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee to a 20-minute draw

The Masked Superstar pinned Chief Jay Strongbow at 7:26

Sgt. Slaughter defeated Ivan Putski via count-out at 11:29

Paul Orndorff pinned Salvatore Bellomo

WWF IC Champion Don Muraco fought Tito Santana to a double disqualification at 16:03

The Haiti Kid & Tiger Jackson defeated Dana Carpenter & Pancho Boy in a Best 2 out of 3 falls bout; Jackson pinned Pancho to win the first fall; Haiti pinned Pancho to win the second and final fall

Hulk Hogan pinned WWF World Champion the Iron Sheik (w/ Freddie Blassie) at 5:40 with the legdrop to win the title after powering out of the Camel Clutch

Jimmy Snuka pinned Rene Goulet at 3:54

Andre the Giant, WWF Tag Team Champions Rocky Johnson, & Tony Atlas defeated Afa, Sika, & Samula when Andre pinned Samula

The guys I marked for during the Hogan Era: Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Jake Roberts and Ted Dibiase. I also liked Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair during the early 90's when Hogan was getting phased out.

I always disliked the fact that Hogan cheated, always rubbed me the wrong way because the good guy never cheats damnit :angry: Leave the cheating for the heels I tells ya

Cawthon sez:

The Invaders fought Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee to a 20-minute draw

The Masked Superstar pinned Chief Jay Strongbow at 7:26

Sgt. Slaughter defeated Ivan Putski via count-out at 11:29

Paul Orndorff pinned Salvatore Bellomo

WWF IC Champion Don Muraco fought Tito Santana to a double disqualification at 16:03

The Haiti Kid & Tiger Jackson defeated Dana Carpenter & Pancho Boy in a Best 2 out of 3 falls bout; Jackson pinned Pancho to win the first fall; Haiti pinned Pancho to win the second and final fall

Hulk Hogan pinned WWF World Champion the Iron Sheik (w/ Freddie Blassie) at 5:40 with the legdrop to win the title after powering out of the Camel Clutch

Jimmy Snuka pinned Rene Goulet at 3:54

Andre the Giant, WWF Tag Team Champions Rocky Johnson, & Tony Atlas defeated Afa, Sika, & Samula when Andre pinned Samula

So, Hogan vs The Shiek wasn't the ME?