TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
humongous2002

WHAT ABOUT RVD?

WHAT ABOUT RVD?

by Nathan Jaynes @ 10:59:49 AM on 2/9/2004

What about Rob Van Dam?

With all the talk and hype heading into the biggest pay per view of the new Millennium WrestleMania XX there is one question that remains to be unanswered, What about Rob Van Dam? I've read several columns on the site regarding current and past stars and what their role in WrestleMania could and should be, and while I can't say I'm surprised I've read nothing of any sort on Mr. Monday Night Rob Van Dam.

Rob Van Dam, who is a former ECW Television (with a 13 month reign no less) and Tag Team Champion, as well as a former WWF/E Hardcore, Intercontinental, and Tag Team Champion, is nowhere near the headlines on wrestling internet sites. Nor is he involved in any of the major (or filler for that matter) storylines and angles taking place to set up the huge WrestleMania XX card on WWE TV. While it is no secret that Rob was pushed down to Sunday Night Heat last year at WrestleMania XIX so that the Miller Lite Catfight Girls could have their spot on the show, we are heading into a WrestleMania that is going be 5 hours long and while there is enough time for an appearance by Rob. The question is: Will the WWE's front office and creative team give him a spot on the show?

Rob Van Dam debuted with the WWF in June of 2001 on Monday Night RAW at the Georgia Dome in an angle where the WWF reunited a watered down version of Extreme Championship Wrestling in a attempt to save the then failing WWF vs. WCW Invasion angle. While many fans where thrilled with his debut, even comparing him to WWF legend “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels and even proclaiming him the future of the World Wrestling Federation, not many within the company saw the same things in him as the legions of Rob's cult following ECW fans did.

RVD main-evented the October 2001 pay per view No Mercy in a World Wrestling Federation in a three way Championship match against Kurt Angle and then Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin, and even though he lost the match, Rob bounce back. But, he would never be included in a "WWE Championship" (Although he did job to Triple H in a "World Title" match at the Unforgiven 2002 pay per view, but it was not a main-event match). And while Rob did see some early success in his very first couple of months within the company, that would soon change over time.

The WWE decided that because of Rob's sometimes reckless in-ring work and his lack of promo skills "in their minds" that is, he was not a top guy within the company. So they gave him a couple of Intercontinental Title runs, and the match that probably sticks out a lot of in the minds of RVD fans is the main-event ladder match that Christian and he had in September of 2003 on RAW.

After a few IC Title runs, there weren't a lot of positive things happening for RVD fans as the WWE had once again pushed him back down the card. But soon thereafter, the WWE creative team decided to align Rob with “The Big Red Machine,” Kane, in a relationship and team that, though it made no logical sense at all, got over with the fans. In fact RVD & Kane went on to win the World (RAW) Tag Team Titles.

Then in the summer of 2003, WWE decided to break up the duo, strip Kane of his mask, and turn him heel. Rob became a big part of this scenario and they even worked him into a feud with Kane and the two were even given a main event/upper mid-card match on one of the WWE's biggest pay per view's of the year, "SummerSlam," in August of 2003. But after the match was over it was obvious that WWE had bigger and better plans for Kane, and once again they had nothing for RVD and for seemingly the 1,000,000th time they shoved him back down the card.

While in the mean time Rob has appeared on several internet radio shows and has not been too shy about talking about his unhappiness with the direction the WWE has taken with him, he has been programmed in short term feuds with Randy Orton with Rob once again doing the J.O.B. to Orton.

As all of the attention heading into WrestleMania XX seems to be on whether or not Goldberg re-signs with the company after Mania and whether or not Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart return for WM. Or even what impact Chris Jericho, Matt Hardy or Booker T will have on the big show. The question that has not been addressed is whether Rob will actually have a match on the card? Rob's contract with WWE runs up in June of this year and you can probably rest assured that if he doesn't have a match on the WrestleMania XX card, that Bill Goldberg may not be the only one out the door after Mania, because as Jim Ross says "the greatest wrestler to never hold a WWE World Title" could very well follow him.

credit:PWInsider.com

Guest TheHulkster

It seems like they are leaning toward RVD/Booker T Vs Flair/Batista after last night. At least he'll be in a title match ;) .

It seems like they are leaning toward RVD/Booker T Vs Flair/Batista after last night....

Sure looks that way. Considering all those "impromptu" double team moves they did (wink wink), I could see it happening. Perhaps they'll be allowed to win the tag titles in a gesture of good will considering how HHH destroyed their main event singles careers.

Guest Monday Night Jericho
as Jim Ross says "the greatest wrestler to never hold a WWE World Title" could very well follow him.

Ugh, this shouldn't even be justified with a response...

The WWE missed their shot with Rob Van Dam a long time ago, and since then they've watered down his sloppy (yet "pop"able) offense, and now he's a shell of what he was in 2001 (in terms of his heat). I don't hate RVD, but I really can't see him being a WWE World Title holder.

The WWE missed their shot with Rob Van Dam a long time ago, and since then they've watered down his sloppy (yet "pop"able) offense, and now he's a shell of what he was in 2001 (in terms of his heat). I don't hate RVD, but I really can't see him being a WWE World Title holder.

And even with his watered down heat, he's still over enough to justify a push, if a push is justified based on heat.

And he'll be on WM XX. If they are talking contracts, I'm sure a good WM payoff will go a long way in convincing Rob to stay.

It seems like they are leaning toward RVD/Booker T Vs Flair/Batista after last night. At least he'll be in a title match ;) .

so they'll go with Orton/Maven vs Rock/Foley?????

I could see Booker T and RVD win the tag titles before WM 20 (knock on wood) and defend them against someone (knock on wood).

Good, it's where he belongs..

No one as over as Van Dam belongs on Heat.

I don't know if he's as over as people claim he is. Sure, he does get his pops, but he does not work the crowd that well anymore. Perhaps it's his watered down WWE-style of wrestling (which is a bit better than the sloppy, spotty style he used to do), which fans can't get accustomed to. To be quite honest, I wouldn't really miss RVD that much if he did not resign. He would be more successfull in TNA, but I doubt he'll pass up guaranteed cash from the WWE for a reduced salary.

I could see Booker T and RVD win the tag titles before WM 20 (knock on wood) and defend them against someone (knock on wood).

It's possible.

Booker T/Rob Van Dam vs. The World's Greatest Tag Team in a inter-promotional match could actually be VERY good.

I still don't buy the rumors of Orton/???? vs. Foley/Rock. The Foley/Orton feud has been built up to such a degree that I can't see them blowing it off on a tag-team match. For Mania, I STILL see:

Orton vs. Foley

Batista/Ric Flair vs. RVD/Booker T

.....and if the Rock DOES return to WrestleMania, perhaps against someone like Vince McMahon or even someone making a return (i.e. Edge, Hulk Hogan, etc.)

They're beginning to book themselves into a corner with this card, as there are numerous relatively-high profile wrestlers that are starting to get left out in the cold. Yet there's still a chance some of these rumored matches could get switched (like Shawn taken out of the Triple Threat match and put against the Rock), especially if the 1wrestling rumors are true, and they're not too happy with the way the matches are shaping out.

After last night, I was thinking they would do something like Foley, RVD, & Booker T vs. Evolution at WM in a hardcore match or something.

They'll cram as many people as they can into WM, and that includes RVD.

I have difficulty believing that, considering both RVD and Kane were left off the show last year in favor of Nathan Jones.

.....yeah, that Nathan Jones.

They'll cram as many people as they can into WM, and that includes RVD.

I have difficulty believing that, considering both RVD and Kane were left off the show last year in favor of Nathan Jones.

.....yeah, that Nathan Jones.

I would normally not believe it at all, but this is the most hyped WM ever (like every year).

Seriously though, this year I do believe he'll be on the show, Lance Storm too.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

I believe RVD will either curtain-jerk against Rico or get the shaft entirely.

And with regards to Foley, how many stars will he make before he retires for real?

He made the Rock.

He made Triple H.

And now I am supposed to believe he will make Randy Orton?

He would have any easier time making cheesecake from a pile of thumbtacks.

RVD isn't good enough to hang with the likes of Eddy Guerrero or Rey Misterio.  He would be exposed in a big way on Smackdown.  He works better with the RAW wrestlers.

I thought Van Dam did a damn good job hanging with Eddie Guerrero at Backlash 2002 and Judgment Day 2002. And, of course, that Raw Memorial Day Ladder Match.

I don't see why it would be much different less than 2 years later.

He had a decent series of matches with Eddy. The fact that he is on RAW has led to many style clashes and thus his in ring repitoire is limited. He's better off the faster high flyers much like in ECW