TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

Most Obvious and Ridiculous No-Sells

Guest Anglesault

WWWF/E has seen plenty of people over the years that absolutely refused to sell anything, and some good sellers who no sold somethings that they really should have? What are your favorites?

This one, while not one of the all time worst, is recent enough to stick in my mind as one of the worst.

Last year's Goldberg/Rock feud, and Rock attacks Goldberg with a chair. He wallops the shit out of him at least eight times (these are no love taps) and trimphantly walks up the ramp. What does Goldberg do? Lay on the mat and sell the attack? Why, of course not. He gets back on his feet before they can even cut to commercial and makes his idiot faces at Rocky. I actually found that worse than when he feuded with Jericho for a month and sold nothing. You've just been destroyed by the biggest star in the company with a steel chair, the absolute least you can do is sell it for two minutes.

Guest Basswitch

Back when HBK would take about every move and lie on the ground, talk, and chew gum, even though he was "knocked out"

No offense, but he's Goldberg. His whole gimmick (well, atleast the one that got him over in WCW) is that he's an unstoppable monster.

I think the reason he was such a tremendous failure in WWE is that he sold far too much, and for guys like Mark Henry.

Guest Corino 1000

When Flair did the figure-four on RVD then a second later he was doing backflips and stuff. He's RVD what do you expect.

Guest Anglesault
No offense, but he's Goldberg. His whole gimmick (well, atleast the one that got him over in WCW) is that he's an unstoppable monster.

I think the reason he was such a tremendous failure in WWE is that he sold far too much, and for guys like Mark Henry.

Ya know, I HATE the no sell absolutely everything gimmick , but if they were going for a "Rock just hot eight million chair shots and FGB is STILL up" vibe, I wouldn't mind.

But they weren't.

They were trying to have the top star in the company take the man out after eight chairshots and the man refused to play along.

The tale of Kane and the Flaming Dumpster comes to mind.

Another few would be Flair's sell of the leg after Steamboat's elbow drop assault during their Clash match, and Nash getting up pretty quickly after the finish at Good Friends, Better Enemies.

Here's the thing: people shouldn't work RVD's leg in a match. It's a surefire formula for a crappy match. RVD can't do any of his offense in that situation. Note that in that one match Jericho worked his shoulder and he sold that just fine, and got in most of his offense.

Back when HBK would take about every move and lie on the ground, talk, and chew gum, even though he was "knocked out"

Even the Tyson punch.

Don't forget the KIPPUP! is just like the Hulk Up.

...just about every major Angle match.

Back in WCW, it seemed a good deal of Luger's matches were him getting the crap kicked out of him, then he'd come back, hit a bunch of forearms and rack his opponent, even if his arms or his own back was worked on significantly.

HHH no-selling the car being dropped, and similarly the Giant no-selling falling off the roof after his Sumo Truck match with Hogan, JR being set on fire, Shane trying to kill Kane several times, etc.

The nWo nearly killing Rock, and he just had some tape on his ribs afterward. The hammer and chair shots were never mentioned.

Ken Shamrock's mysterious "internal injuries" where they couldn't decide just where he was injured. (his ribs! his kidneys! no, his chest!).

Here's the thing: people shouldn't work RVD's leg in a match. It's a surefire formula for a crappy match. RVD can't do any of his offense in that situation. Note that in that one match Jericho worked his shoulder and he sold that just fine, and got in most of his offense.

Problem is, that's exactly why some one would do that. In the context of a match, it's smart wrestling. That's why wrestlers need to have a fairly diverse moveset. If the story of the match prevents them from doing certain moves without it seeming unbelievable, then they should do other moves. For example, in a match with Charlie Haas in 2002, I remember Benoit's shoulder being completely wrecked. He sold the shoulder, and did moves using his good arm/shoulder, and kicked the snot out of Haas a good bit, winning the match with a headbutt.

Thing is, Van Dam SHOULD be doing moves other than the ones he does now. Instead, WWE cut his moveset, he didn't improve as an overall worker, and so whenever his legs get worked on he still flips and flops around and kicks people.

Hence, why that HHH/RVD match people gush over doesn't do anything for me. The story of the match was all f'ed up because that's all Van Dam was doing.

Guest Anglesault
Shawn Michaels chewing gum after laying down @ WM XIV.

Along those same lines, not a no-sell, but it hurt the "he's unconscious" vibe the submission match with Jericho and Benoit.

Benoit crossfaces/chokes Jericho into passing out...well, except that Jericho was clearly talking to Benoit the whole time.

Guest Ray

Shawn Michaels nipping up and dancing around after having his injured back KILLED, MURDERED, BROKEN, TORN APART, DISMANTLED, and DESTROYED at Summerslam 2002.

Shawn Michaels flying around the ring 30 seconds after getting killed by a Diesel powerbomb through the announce table at IYH:GFBE 96.

Undertaker. Superkick. Hell in a cell.

Remember SummerSlam 2002 when Benoit worked the arm like a mofo?

Yeah, RVD didn't sell that either.

Jason

Seriously though, to talk about this I really don't think we should mention guys like the older version of Taker, Goldberg, and other guys like that who had it built into their actual gimmick to no-sell just about everything.

Let me think about this one, and I'm sure I'll come up with a few.

Guest Anglesault
Seriously though, to talk about this I really don't think we should mention guys like the older version of Taker, Goldberg, and other guys like that who had it built into their actual gimmick to no-sell just about everything.

What Goldberg did would be like Undertaker crawling out of the flaming casket at the Rumble, standing up, showing no signs of what he was just through, and making funny faces at Kane.

Goldberg was not supposed to totally no sell that Rock attack.

Guest wrestlingbs

Taker is the king of no-selling. Especially during 2001, when he idn't even flinch during every match he was in (strange how he was facing all WCW wrestlers at the time). His feud with Brock in 2002 is also a terrific example of Taker no giving anything to his opponents. I mean, he faces the newest and most powerful force in the WWE, and throws him through the stage?!

Guest JMA

I don't mind Taker no-selling a finisher as the Deadman character. But when he no-sells MULTIPLE finishers I can't stand it. One of the worst cases was when he sat up after three DDTs. I also hated it when the Ultimate Warrior kicked out after FIVE flying elbow drops from Savage. I would've been fine with one, and even tolerated two, but FIVE?

I know people really like this match but that always bothered me.

Undertaker. Superkick. Hell in a cell.

You didn't mark out like crazy when that happend?

I thought Taker has *on* the whole match, with every expression, including the one during his sit-up, saying 'I'm going to fucking murder you, Shawn'.

*chills*

UYI

I don't mind Taker no-selling a finisher as the Deadman character. But when he no-sells MULTIPLE finishers I can't stand it. One of the worst cases was when he sat up after three DDTs.

Wasn't Roberts about to be let go, so as part of the turfing out process they tried to kill his finisher?

They did the same thing to Bam Bam, I think something similar with Diesel, too.

It's just something they'd try to do before letting someone go. The Savage situation was probably just the way it was booked also, but yeah, it was overkill.

I don't mind Taker no-selling a finisher as the Deadman character. But when he no-sells MULTIPLE finishers I can't stand it. One of the worst cases was when he sat up after three DDTs.

Wasn't Roberts about to be let go, so as part of the turfing out process they tried to kill his finisher?

They did the same thing to Bam Bam, I think something similar with Diesel, too.

It's just something they'd try to do before letting someone go. The Savage situation was probably just the way it was booked also, but yeah, it was overkill.

Roberts was set to be released, yeah, and so Taker got to bury the bastard good and proper.

And what a job he did.

UYI

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Didn't Sid no-sell the Hogan legdrop at WM8?

Papa Shango was late for the run in so Sid had to kick out.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Ultimate Warrior no-selling Triple H's pedigree at WM 12 is both the "best" and "worst" no-sell of the past 6-7 years at least.

8 years but whos counting LOL

Ultimate Warrior no-selling Triple H's pedigree at WM 12 is both the "best" and "worst" no-sell of the past 6-7 years at least.

8 years but whos counting LOL

It's also 4am over on the east coast, so don't mind my buzzed lingo :P

I also hated it when the Ultimate Warrior kicked out after FIVE flying elbow drops from Savage. I would've been fine with one, and even tolerated two, but FIVE?

I know people really like this match but that always bothered me.

That was the story behind the match: each guy going to tremendous lengths of pain, so they wouldn't lose the match...and their career.

You seemed to forget that Savage kicked out of Warrior's finisher too (clothesline, gorilla press, gorilla splash)... can you imagine, at that time, how well that finisher was built up? It was equivalent to the F-5 in assurance.