TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

Least Funny Mainstream Comedians

Not Funny: Wanda Sykes, Jimmy Fallon, Jerry Seinfeld, Eddie Murphy(after BHC2),

So apparently Coming to America and The first remake of the Nutty Professor weren't funny. Coming to America is a classic

So apparently Coming to America and The first remake of the Nutty Professor weren't funny. Coming to America is a classic

Coming to America is one of the great comedies of all time. ALL FREAKIN TIME~!

Guest El Satanico
Not Funny: Eddie Murphy(after BHC2),

Coming to America is funny...Nutty Professor is not funny

Wait... I thought Coming to America came out between/before the BHC movies...

*goes to imdb*

... shit. Oh well. Still, Nutty Professor is really overrated IMO.

I used to like Eddie Murphy (BH Cop, Trading Places, 48 Hours) and Steve Martin (The Man With Two Brains, The Lonely Guy, Planes,Trains & Automobiles) but that was all way back in the 80's, the last decade plus has seen them both make some awful films. Murphy's best performance in semi-recent memory was as a bloody donkey.

Jerry Seinfeld and his horribly overated sitcom can fuck off.

Oh, and Martin Lawrence, absolutely terrible.

I wouldn't know who George Carlin was if it wasn't for this forum, maybe his stuff doesn't travel well or he simply sucks like some of you say.

I hate Jerry Seinfeld. How did that sorry ass show get so popular to begin with?

Throw in Colin Quinn, Leno, Kattan, Jack Black(die, fucker), Eddie Griffen(that last special he had on HBO was TERRIBLE), Sandler for Punch-Drunk Love alone, and Will Ferrell(overacting bastard).

Coming to America yes, Nutty Professor, god no. I hate it.

But still, my answer to the original question is Chris Rock. He's never made a good movie (besides asking how much for one rib), and his stand up is dull and grating. His one redeeming quality could be his talk show but I never watched it.

Mike Myers is equally bad, but a lot of people don't like him, so it's no big deal.

I used to hate Robin Williams, but I've taken a liking to his dramatic work, so I can give him a pass.

Oh, and by the way, I didn't think Punch Drunk Love was a comedy. I'm not being sarcastic, I haven't seen it. Sandler's fine with me because I like Billy Madison.

Martin Lawrence by a country mile. Not only was his act lame and uninspired on his own television show (whoever dreamed that little gem up should be forced to wear their balls as a bowtie), but he's managed to stay consistently awful throughout his laughable movie career.

I mean, I'll put up with almost anything when it comes to movies, from Daddy Day Care to Cheaper By The Dozen...so you have to know that it's bad news when my eyes twitch and I start screaming obscenities whenever National Security flashes on any nearby television screen.

Guest MikeSC

No mention of Whoopi Goldberg? The next funny thing she says will be her first.

-=Mike

Guest Dynamite Kido
- People who suck waaay too much: George Carlin,

May your Reds die a terrible death.......or just die like Marge Schott did........he he he

Guest thebigjig

Jay Leno... and Tim Allen... I fucking HATE Tim Allen, and Home Improvement was an awful overrated piece of shit

Gotta love all these people dropping names with not even a hint of a reason as to why they feel that way. You're entitled to your own opinion, but at least back it up with something more than "he fucking sucks balls" or "he's overrated shit."

Jerry Seinfeld and his horribly overated sitcom can fuck off.

Here's a perfect example. I'm a big Jerry Seinfeld fan and a huge Seinfeld fan, as well. Despite my fandom, I can see why some people don't like it. That isn't to say that it's the fault of the show, but rather, it's the humor that a lot of people just don't get. I'm not calling you stupid or anything, but I know a lot of people who hate the show just because they're too damn thick-headed about things and think anything that they need to actually think about is stupid. I think that's something that makes the show brilliant. You've gotta have a head on your shoulders to truly appreciate some of the material on the show, unlike something like Friends, which is nothing more than a poor man's Seinfeld for the thinking challenged. When it comes to that show, everything short of smashing you over the head is done to let you know when you're supposed to be laughing. It has its moments, but for the most part, it's far to mediocre to get all the praise come give it. I often find that those who hate Seinfeld love Friends. Makes sense, though, since they're basically polar opposites on the thinking scale.

I wouldn't know who George Carlin was if it wasn't for this forum, maybe his stuff doesn't travel well or he simply sucks like some of you say.

Yes, a guy who has been a comic staple for over four decades must suck just because you haven't heard of him outside of this forum. Jesus. He's a comic I can understand people not liking because of his extreme views and the fact that his standup specials don't follow the basic formula most are accustomed to. He's usually up there making great points, but doing it in a humorous way. Unfortunately, him using this unusual formula has scared of many.

I hate Jerry Seinfeld. How did that sorry ass show get so popular to begin with?

Because it was original and despite this country being absolutely terrified of such a trait, there are times when a fresh concept is able to sneak by the radar detectors and become a success before it can be stopped.

Martin Lawrence...I just don't find him funny. Every black comedian has their "white people" bits, so I'm just use to that. But when Martin does it he comes off like a racist. And when guys like Rock and Chappelle do it it comes off as comedy, not just blatant hate.

So I don't care for Martin.

I've been watching Home Improvement reruns lately, I'd completly forgotten how much I liked the show.

Guest OctoberBlood

May your Reds die a terrible death.......or just die like Marge Schott did........he he he

Fuck you. Tasteless prick.

Guest thebigjig

Fuck you. Tasteless prick.

yes... very tasteless. Schott was a great great man

The first time I really noticed Martin Lawrence was when I watched You So Crazy, and I admit I was interested in it because it was rated NC-17. I wanted to see a stand up act strong enough to warrant that.

I tell you, I have never seen a guy sweat and strain so much on stage, it was like he blurred the line between telling jokes and fucking. And after all his effort and gesticulation, the punchlines really weren't much of a payoff. I've seen worse, though. I liked Runteldat ok, mostly because he would talk about his personal problems. I got a kick out of it. I also like two of his movies (Blue Streak and Nothing to Lose), so he's safe from my shitlist, but... yeah, he puts too much physical exertion into his standup.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Phew!

Chevy Chase was spared!

I'll say Jimmy Fallon, Martin Short, Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy (when he's off drugs), Robin Wliiams, Jim Carrey (minus Cable Guy and Dumb & Dumber), Eddie Griffin, This one annoying black chick who had a sitcom on Fox this past year, and Rachel Dratch.

And anyone who puts Tom Cruise in a comedy must be shot.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Phew!

Chevy Chase was spared!

The thread title referred to mainstream comedians

Dang.

Guest MikeSC
Gotta love all these people dropping names with not even a hint of a reason as to why they feel that way.  You're entitled to your own opinion, but at least back it up with something more than "he fucking sucks balls" or "he's overrated shit."

Out of curiosity, how would you express "They aren't funny" and "back it up"?

-=Mike

It doesn't matter what it is, when you are critiquing something, it's possible to have a set of standards and such that you're assessing it on. When you review a book, movie, show, etc., you have a criteria for which you're judging the quality by. Granted, it's not as easy to do with something like a comic, but it's possible. Explaining why you don't think a comic's funny or what exactly your beef is with them is a lot better than just spouting stuff like "he sucks."

I think I am the only one that pretty much likes everyone in this thread. They all have some redeeming qualities...some more than others, but I don't see one guy I would say sucks....

Martin Lawerance is ok to me, "You so Crazy" is classic, I didn't care for Runteldat, Martin show was a classic, I remember when him, Tommy, and Cole tried help deliver this womans baby and baby popped out and Martin caught it like it was football:

Tommy: Where's the unbillical (sp) cord? we need to cut it.

Martin: DAMNIT!!! Tommy this is TV there aint no cord. :lol:

As far as wack comedians are concern: Leno, Chris Rock, Chase, Seinfield, and Drew Carey.