TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

I'm hoping for:

Calgary def. Detroit in 6

San Jose def. Colorado in 7

Tampa Bay def. Montreal in 5 (Note: I am a HUGE Habs fan, but there's just no way in this one. They sucked against Boston, and if they play that way against T-Bay, then it'll be a slaughter.)

Philadelphia def. Toronto in 6

Yes, changed are needed in Ottawa. Lalime has to go, you can't give up two soft goals like that and expect the team to win. The game was basically over after one period anyway

Calgary vs Detroit: Calgary in six. This is team of destiny of 2004, and they will go far, Detroit is just another speed block in its path.

San Jose vs Colorado: San Jose in seven. Its the hardest pick out of the four series as both teams are even excepted goaltending which is leaning in SJ favour.

Toronto vs Phili: Phili in five. How Toronto played Ottawa in the first round really makes me think that Toronto can not compete against a bigger stronger younger faster team that HITS and utilizes their lines properly. Belfour will steal one game, thats for sure, but Toronto will get thrown around like a rag doll (like last year).

Montreal vs Tampa Bay: Montreal in six. Now I'm not being biased. These guys do have a shot at beating Tampa. Tampa has a bit more speed and a better goalie, but not a physical team, and a very weak defence. Theo will probably steal a game or two (or series) to get Montreal in the next round.

I will say this, Montreal has better odds getting into the next round than Toronto

Well, I picked 5 of the 7 winners in round one (I couldn't choose a winner in TO/OTT, but I picked the # of games and said it all depended on Belfour-vs-Lalime, so I was partially right). Of course, the one that I really cared about is one of the ones that i got wrong.

And, sorry to say it Leafs fans, but I couldn't have asked for 4 teams that I more root against to be playing in round 2. The only other team that I hate as much as those 4 is the Rangers, but the NYR and the playoffs don't exist in the same universe. There's a legitimate chance that I'm not going to watch a single Eastern conference game this round.

Round 2 Predictions:

Tampa Bay vs Montreal - The Habs beat the B's because of questionable coaching and the fact that they were able to outrace the B's to the puck every time. Neither of these advantages will be there this round. Plus, the Bhulin Wall is on fire right now, and will even out the goalie advantage. Tampa in 6.

Philly vs. Toronto - Toronto needs to get healthy to compete with Philly, and if Nolan and Sundin don't make it back, they're sunk. Philly in 6.

Detroit vs. Calgary - I really think that Detroit is too strong for the scrappy Flames, and their big-guns are due to get hot. Detroit in 5.

San Jose vs. Colorado - On paper, it's a mismatch in Colorado's favor. On the ice, though, I don't think that SJ can lose this series. Don't ask me why, it's just a gut feeling. San Jose in 7.

Montreal vs Tampa Bay: Montreal in six. Now I'm not being biased. These guys do have a shot at beating Tampa. Tampa has a bit more speed and a better goalie, but not a physical team, and a very weak defence. Theo will probably steal a game or two (or series) to get Montreal in the next round.

Our defense is very underrated and not as weak as you think. Our top 6 of Sydor, Kubina, Boyle, Lukowich, Cory Sarich, and Nolan Pratt (Jassen Cullimore has a bad wrist and is likely out for the series) is very solid and showed in the Isles series that they can close games. They will sometimes give up 2 on 1s because the Lightning have the most agressive forechecking scheme in the NHL. (sometimes its a 1-4 forecheck if both D-man are pinching) Also, Modin and Lecavailer (even though he didn't score) were checking everything that moved so while the Lightning aren't overtly physical they do not back down from that sort of play. On top of that, Tortorella has played both Chris Dingman and Andre Roy in the postseason. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for what the Canadiens have done this season and against Boston but I think you guys are overmatched here. My prediction is Bolts in 5 although Theodore could make it go 6.

East:

Tampa vs Montreal - Khabibulin's the better goalie right now, so Tampa in 6

Philadelphia vs Toronto - This will be Jim Ross' type of series - a slobberknocker. How this goes probably depends on the health of Sundin and Belfour. Yeah, it's cliche to say one guy can make a difference, but the Leafs are a better team with their captain in the lineup. I'm going with my heart on this one. Leafs in 7 (because I'm not sure they actually know that they can win in less games)

West:

Detroit vs Calgary - Detroit is a great team, BUT they won the President's Cup, which for whatever reason is not a good thing in the NHL. Calgary looks to have gotten hot at the right time. No joy in Hockeytown this year. Calgary in 6

San Jose vs Colorado - I don't know much about San Jose, other than that they did really well in the regular season and employ the ugliest man in hockey. So this is a pure guess. San Jose in 6

I already don't care about the playoffs and it's only the Conference Semis.

That's because your team has an incompetent goalie. :D

And to think that I was nice to you after the Leafs' wheels fell off last year.

How are your Canucks doing, bob? Or are the Leafs your favorite team this week?

I'm still tramuatised by the Canucks scoring with 5 SECONDS LEFT TO TIE THE GAME AND THEN BLOWING IT IN OVERTIME.

So don't worry- I haven't forgotten.

Is it wrong that Pat Lalime is my new favourite player?

Toronto vs Phili: Phili in five. How Toronto played Ottawa in the first round really makes me think that Toronto can not compete against a bigger stronger younger faster team that HITS and utilizes their lines properly. Belfour will steal one game, thats for sure, but Toronto will get thrown around like a rag doll (like last year).

How? They played like shit in game 7, but other than that it was a close series (as the 3 OT games would show).

Oh, and now it's time for the annual 'bitch about the division winners getting the top 3 seeds'. Toronto and their 103 points have to start on the road in Philly against the Flyers and their 101 points. I suppose it's better than when Carolina used to take the Southeast with 10 points less than the other division winners, though. Oh, and no Saturday night game because of fucking Arena Football. Better than last year and Yanni forcing games 6 and 7 to be back-to-back, though, I guess.

Oh, and no Saturday night game because of fucking Arena Football.

ABC can lick my balls. There's no excuse not to have a Saturday night game with THREE FUCKING CANADIAN TEAMS in the second round.

Our defense is very underrated and not as weak as you think. Our top 6 of Sydor, Kubina, Boyle, Lukowich, Cory Sarich, and Nolan Pratt (Jassen Cullimore has a bad wrist and is likely out for the series) is very solid and showed in the Isles series that they can close games. They will sometimes give up 2 on 1s because the Lightning have the most agressive forechecking scheme in the NHL. (sometimes its a 1-4 forecheck if both D-man are pinching) Also, Modin and Lecavailer (even though he didn't score) were checking everything that moved so while the Lightning aren't overtly physical they do not back down from that sort of play. On top of that, Tortorella has played both Chris Dingman and Andre Roy in the postseason. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for what the Canadiens have done this season and against Boston but I think you guys are overmatched here. My prediction is Bolts in 5 although Theodore could make it go 6.

Its the Islanders. You can have a mediocore defence to stop them.

Its one thing to be physical, but when the other team is dishing it out harder, can you hit them back. Islanders aren't a scrappy/hard hitting team, and Tampa really used their size. I'm just waiting to see Modin and others hiding on the bench when the game gets physical.

How?  They played like shit in game 7, but other than that it was a close series (as the 3 OT games would show).

Toronto is a weaker team than last year, and Phili got a whole lot stronger. Unless Toronto can get their 3rd an 4th line producing constantly, the series will be over before it started.

Oh, and now it's time for the annual 'bitch about the division winners getting the top 3 seeds'.  Toronto and their 103 points have to start on the road in Philly against the Flyers and their 101 points.  I suppose it's better than when Carolina used to take the Southeast with 10 points less than the other division winners, though.  Oh, and no Saturday night game because of fucking Arena Football.  Better than last year and Yanni forcing games 6 and 7 to be back-to-back, though, I guess.

Ah bitch bitch bitch. Does it hurt you that you can't watch the Leafs on Saturday night? Is there such thing as a non-whiny leaf fan.

Its one thing to be physical, but when the other team is dishing it out harder, can you hit them back. Islanders aren't a scrappy/hard hitting team, and Tampa really used their size. I'm just waiting to see Modin and others hiding on the bench when the game gets physical.

Do you honestly feel Rivet, Bouillon, Komisarek, and Markov scare me and name me one guy on the Canadiens other than Darren Langdon in terms of physical play that I should be afraid of. (no diving doesnt count) At least the Isles had people like Mike Peca, Steve Webb and Adrian Aucoin that were physical I cant think of anyone from the Canadiens that plays that hard hitting style (other than the afore mentioned Langdon). Don't expect Modin, Lecavailer, The Mighty Midget, or anyone else from the Bolts to be ducking and running.

Souray can play a reasonably physical game.

If you count cheap shots with a stick, Sac-less Koivu would have to be considered as well.

How?  They played like shit in game 7, but other than that it was a close series (as the 3 OT games would show).

Toronto is a weaker team than last year, and Phili got a whole lot stronger. Unless Toronto can get their 3rd an 4th line producing constantly, the series will be over before it started.

Oh, and now it's time for the annual 'bitch about the division winners getting the top 3 seeds'.  Toronto and their 103 points have to start on the road in Philly against the Flyers and their 101 points.  I suppose it's better than when Carolina used to take the Southeast with 10 points less than the other division winners, though.  Oh, and no Saturday night game because of fucking Arena Football.  Better than last year and Yanni forcing games 6 and 7 to be back-to-back, though, I guess.

Ah bitch bitch bitch. Does it hurt you that you can't watch the Leafs on Saturday night? Is there such thing as a non-whiny leaf fan.

A)

How? Their defence is better with Leetch and Marchment (and Johannson waiting in the wings) as opposed to Wesley and Svehla and their forwards are just as good, if not better, even without Sundin and Nolan (who was a non-factor last year, anyway). Philly's stronger on forward with Zhamnov, but I don't know about defence with their injury problems. It should be just as even as last year's series was. And the Reichel/Domi/Kilger line was their best line last night and Domi's been one of their best players. Tucker/Fitzgerald/Stajan has been good, too. Those are pretty good 3rd and 4th lines.

B)

Yeah, I'd rather watch the Leafs play on Saturday night, or any game, for that matter. The Leafs would probably be there if there wasn't an arena football game, and I'm upset that they're not. I guess you could call that whining.

Do you honestly feel Rivet, Bouillon, Komisarek, and Markov scare me and name me one guy on the Canadiens other than Darren Langdon in terms of physical play that I should be afraid of. (no diving doesnt count) At least the Isles had people like Mike Peca, Steve Webb and Adrian Aucoin that were physical I cant think of anyone from the Canadiens that plays that hard hitting style (other than the afore mentioned Langdon). Don't expect Modin, Lecavailer, The Mighty Midget, or anyone else from the Bolts to be ducking and running.

You are thinking about big guys, but lets see, almost every hab player took the body, and dished it out over the entire Boston series, and basically out muscling them for the entire series (except game 1 and game 7). You can go down the entire Montreal Canadiens roster and everyone one of them will take the body and dish it out.

You are thinking about big guys, but lets see, almost every hab player took the body, and dished it out over the entire Boston series, and basically out muscling them for the entire series (except game 1 and game 7). You can go down the entire Montreal Canadiens roster and everyone one of them will take the body and dish it out.

Every Hab player.... Every Hab player? Dont try and tell me that Alexi Kovalev is a physical force (although he did score big goals and damn near cost you guys the series... oops did I say something) As nl5 noted I'll add Souray to the list of guys that can take the body but other than that you're just a bunch of divers and slashers.

Alexei Kovalev is 6'2 and 220 pounds, while he may not be a physical force in the Keith Primeau sense of the word, he's much bigger then he looks and it requiress even bigger D to contain him, he's very strong just plays like shit away from the puck.

Langdon hits big, but he's not the only one Red Baron was almost right while not EVERY montreal player will dish out the body, you dont need to be big to finish a check and keep a player out of the play

Good checkers on montreal: Langdon, Begin, Jan Bulis, Joe Juneau, Sheldon Souray,Francis Boullion, Niklas Sundstrom, Craig Rivet, Stephane Quintal, even Zednik throws out some big checks. I think that you are drastically underestimating the Canadiens, especially given that Tampa has proven nothing in the playoffs ,and let me give you a time line on that....ever.

My picks:

Detroit over Calgary in 6

Colorado over San Jose in 6

Tampa Bay over Montreal in 5

Philadelphia over Toronto in 6

Alexei Kovalev is 6'2 and 220 pounds, while he may not be a physical force in the Keith Primeau sense of the word, he's much bigger then he looks and it requiress even bigger D to contain him, he's very strong just plays like shit away from the puck.

And what has been the trend throughout his career.. whenever he gets wacked once or twice he wilts.

Langdon hits big, but he's not the only one Red Baron was almost right while not EVERY montreal player will dish out the body, you dont need to be big to finish a check and keep a player out of the play

Fair point and let me tell you something that you'll find out during this series none of the Lightning shy away from that play, you will be surprised how physical the Lightning can be.

Good checkers on montreal: Langdon, Begin, Jan Bulis, Joe Juneau, Sheldon Souray,Francis Boullion, Niklas Sundstrom, Craig Rivet, Stephane Quintal, even Zednik throws out some big checks.

Isn't Sundstrom and Quintal hurt right now? Begin, Juneau, Bulis are stick artists and slashers not a fearsome checking unit. Once Dingman and Roy hit them a few times they're through. And Calling Rivet and Bouillion "good checkers" is pushing it they're mediocre 4 and 5 D-men at best.

think that you are drastically underestimating the Canadiens, especially given that Tampa has proven nothing in the playoffs ,and let me give you a time line on that....ever.

Look I admitted when I first posted that we would have a hard time against Ottawa and I think we would have trouble against Toronto because of their playoff savvy and obviously Belfour. The only person I truly fear on the Canadiens is Theodore and unless we get a rash of injuries I don't see Montreal giving us that much trouble. And spare me with the Tampa has no playoff history line, what have you done other than beat the Bruins in recent years (post 1993).

Heh, I guess this is the end of Lalime in Ottawa? Time to pick from the scrap heap. Turek, Brian Boucher, Tommy Salo, Sean Burke? What's your poisio? Not ENTIRELY Lalime's fault.

Ray Emery is the new man in Ottawa. But wow, are all those guys departing their teams? Burke will end up somewhere and do okay. I don't know where Pat Lalime is going. Florida? Somebody's gotta replace Roberto Luongo when he leaves for greener pastures.

Heh, I guess this is the end of Lalime in Ottawa?  Time to pick from the scrap heap. Turek, Brian Boucher, Tommy Salo, Sean Burke?  What's your poisio?  Not ENTIRELY Lalime's fault.

Ray Emery is the new man in Ottawa. But wow, are all those guys departing their teams? Burke will end up somewhere and do okay. I don't know where Pat Lalime is going. Florida? Somebody's gotta replace Roberto Luongo when he leaves for greener pastures.

Florida is stupid enough to let Luongo go?

I think it would be almost funny if Lalime came to Vancouver. Then we'd have two Cloutiers.

Guest hockeytown9321
West:

Detroit vs Calgary - Detroit is a great team, BUT they won the President's Cup, which for whatever reason is not a good thing in the NHL. Calgary looks to have gotten hot at the right time. No joy in Hockeytown this year. Calgary in 6

2 out of the last 3 President's trophy winners have won the Cup including Detroit in 2002.

Gert's West Teams Round 2

Detroit

San Jose

Vancouver

Dallas

Gert's East Teams Round 2

Tampa Bay

Boston

New Jersey

Ottawa

Well I guess I can't do too much worse than I did last round.....

East:

Tampa Bay v. Montreal - Tampa Bay in 6

Philadelphia v. Toronto - Philadelphia in 7

West:

Detroit v. Calgary - Detroit in 6.

San Jose v. Colorado - Colorado in 7.

I think that we've been trained to watch hockey on Saturday night. It's like how NFL games on Saturdays throw people off.

Not starting at home sucks for the Leafs, but really, it's better than the alternative - hitting the links because you got eliminated from the playoffs.

2 out of the last 3 President's trophy winners have won the Cup including Detroit in 2002.

Hmm, yes you're right. I gotta stop listening to Bob Cole and Harry Neale when they're toasted.

Florida is stupid enough to let Luongo go?

Never underestimate Rick Dudley, he'll probably trade him for some Euro no one has heard of.

Not to mention that Luongo's agent has told the Panthers that he and Luongo want a new contract for this year. The Panthers didn't have a response, but it's likely that Luongo wants Giguere money (and rightfully so), but who knows if Florida can even pay him what he wants.