TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

I got to see a lot of Ekman with the Detroit Vipers in the IHL and the guy had talent but I wondered if he was ever really gonna get the chance in the NHL. Then he breaks out with over 20 goals and I think he was in the league's top 10 in +/- and was second on the Sharks in scoring.

Yeah I would have liked a Selke nomination too.

Geez, 1 game and Pat Quinn is already whining about Philly bumping around Belfour (which they didn't do at all in game 1). It'll be interesting to see if any goalie interference calls get made in game 2.

Hey, it worked for him in the last series. The calls all went the Leafs' way in Game 2 after Quinn started whining after Game 1.

Sure enough, a bullshit goalie interference call. Good thing it didn't cost the Flyers. Belfour basically nudged Brashear w/ his shoulder, then flopped onto the ice. Although, not as bad as the one CuJo pulled during a Flyers/Leafs series from ~5 years ago, where LeClair was a few feet outside the crease, and CuJo skated up to bump into a stationary LeClair, and then fell down, getting the call.

Another excellent game by the Bolts yesterday. The final score was 3-1 but for all intents and purposes it should have been 7-1 or 8-1 if it wasn't for Jose Theodore. He single-handedly kept Montreal in the game. We probably took the Habs best shot in the second period and wound up increasing our lead in the end. With that said I'm not expecting a picnic in Montreal. We MUST do better on faceoffs and the refs arent gonna cut us any breaks.

Geez, 1 game and Pat Quinn is already whining about Philly bumping around Belfour (which they didn't do at all in game 1).  It'll be interesting to see if any goalie interference calls get made in game 2.

Hey, it worked for him in the last series. The calls all went the Leafs' way in Game 2 after Quinn started whining after Game 1.

You'd think that wouldn't work. It's not like Quinn started being a grumpy old man when the playoffs started - he does this year-round...

The last few minutes of Leafs/Flyers was just great hockey. Best 5 minutes of the playoffs so far.

Looks like you didn't get a chance to see any of the Calgary-Vancouver series

Lots of great stuff there, of course, but nothing as exciting for 5 minutes straight as that stuff.

Lighting/Canadiens Game 3 is kicking all kinds of ass. One of my favorites of the playoffs thus far.

PREDICTIONS (had these since the playoffs began, except I had the Bruins beating Montreal, so that fucked up my 2nd round)

Tampa Bay > Montreal

Philly > Toronto

San Jose > Colorado

Detroit > Calgary (unfortunetly)

---------------------------

Tampa Bay > Philly

San Jose > Detroit

---------------------------

San Jose > Tampa Bay (Could go either way on this one)

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

:lol:

The Frenchman go down. This one KILLS any chance of a comeback. It is demoralizing. Serves them right, they really aren't very good. But to blow a lead with how many seconds left is humiliating. It happened against the Bruins too.

Either do I.

Either way, I might actually watch the ECF if it involves Tampa (which it will). Both TO and Philly are big, strong, defensive teams, while Tampa is a smaller, quicker, offensive minded team. Should be a good matchup.

Well, I'm not exactly at my most confident right now, but I still think they can win their 2 home games and tie the series up. It's not as if they've been outplayed at all this series, Esche is just doing to them what Belfour did to the Sens last round.

The series can be over just as easily as it can be tied up once game 4's over.

Well, I'm not exactly at my most confident right now, but I still think they can win their 2 home games and tie the series up. It's not as if they've been outplayed at all this series, Esche is just doing to them what Belfour did to the Sens last round.

The series can be over just as easily as it can be tied up once game 4's over.

They are dominated them the majority of the time. The Flyers let up in the 2nd, but all in all, they've looked dominant in comparison to the Leafs. But really, the Leafs are old and broken down - this shouldn't exactly be a surprise.

Eh, saying they've been dominated is a little strong, I think, especially when it seems to me that they've been pretty even most of the time. I don't really buy the old and broken down thing, either, it's just unfortunate that the biggest injuries happen to their best forwards, for the most part (Sundin, Nolan, Nieuwendyk), and Nolan's was a fluke that could have happened to a 20 year-old as much as it could have happened to a 40 year-old. Nieuwendyk's back seems to be the only one really caused by age and wear-and-tear.

They need to start getting someone in front and tipping shots, since Esche has stopped everything so far that's been right on.

I was at the Detroit-Calgary game tonight and despite being a Wings fan (and the various debris throwing and taunts that come with it), the atmosphere was incredible, even if the Wings lost. I believe that game 4 will decide the winner of this series, and I pray to God it is Detroit.

I pray to God it is Detroit.

I'm sorry. Won't happen. Calgary has once again taken away a game that should've been the Wings to win. I think Calgary has this one in the bag.

But I will agree with you about the next game. It pretty much will determine if the Wings live or die. Because if the Wings lose, they won't be winning this series.

I pray to God it is Detroit.

I'm sorry. Won't happen. Calgary has once again taken away a game that should've been the Wings to win. I think Calgary has this one in the bag.

But I will agree with you about the next game. It pretty much will determine if the Wings live or die. Because if the Wings lose, they won't be winning this series.

Curtis Joseph is far too shakey. Even if the Flames rattle off a mere 15 shots on net, they have a tremendous chance to win. The Wings on the other hand need about 30-40 shots to dent Kiprosoff's armour.

My God, the Bolts-Habs game nearly gave me a heart attack last night. Fortunately due to me watching American Idol I didn't see too much of the second period where Montreal apparently completely outplayed the Bolts in spite of the Lightning taking a 2-1 lead. In fact the Habs quite honestly outplayed them for most of the night. Khabibulin in spite of giving up 3 goals was outstanding and kept the Lightning in the game. Vinny Lecavailer continues to own this series and Brad Richards game winner was incredible. I'm just hoping we can close it out on Thursday.

Curtis Joseph is far too shakey. Even if the Flames rattle off a mere 15 shots on net, they have a tremendous chance to win. The Wings on the other hand need about 30-40 shots to dent Kiprosoff's armour.

I agree, which is why I want Legace to be in net in game 4. It's not like he was terrible in the Nashville series, and I think he could be a lot more effective versus the Flames

Curtis Joseph is far too shakey.  Even if the Flames rattle off a mere 15 shots on net, they have a tremendous chance to win.  The Wings on the other hand need about 30-40 shots to dent Kiprosoff's armour.

I agree, which is why I want Legace to be in net in game 4. It's not like he was terrible in the Nashville series, and I think he could be a lot more effective versus the Flames

His confidence has been shattered. Its a Catch-22 whenever you pull a goalie in the playoffs. The coach should always stick by one unless its truly necessary. Legace shouldn't have ever been pulled.

What the Red Wings need to do is to consider pulling Brett Hull or another one of those slow moving guys from the line-up. The Flames are far too fast, and they're embarassing them. Its only when the Wings have guys like Maltby, Draper, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and other young guys when they look superior. But when Yzerman, Shanahan, Hatcher, and Chelios (who is injured anyway) are out there, they look old. In some ways they're ruining their legacy by continuing to play....well, thats harsh...that comment only truly applies to Brett Hull.

0-0 FLyers/Leafs after 1 period. A ton of hits, very little offense, a bunch of (not called) interference, and Belfour continuing to be a little bitch.

Primeau tips a pass on goal as he's being tripped up by a Leafs player, and as he's sliding by the net on his back his foot grazes Belfour, who then leaves the crease after the whistle to go face to face w/ Primeau. Then, later in the period, Primeau cuts in to get a shot on goal, and as he's skating by the crease in front of Belfour, Eddie comes out to initiate contact w/ Primeau.

Hey Belfour, a tip - stop worrying about trying to draw penalties (or complaining about not getting calls) and worry about stopping the puck.