TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

"We don't advertise to kids... I mean...We do now"

There's been talk of this new programming in other threads, however this thread is more along the lines of their "Initiative to Attract a New Generation of WWE fans".

World Wresting Entertainment To Debut New Sunday Morning Television Program on

Spike TV

Debut of "The WWE Experience" Marks Start of Initiative to Attract a New

Generation of WWE® Fans

STAMFORD, Conn., Apr 19, 2004 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- World Wrestling

Entertainment® will debut a new Sunday morning television program on Spike TV

called, The WWE Experience. The television program is the first step in a

multi-faceted campaign directed at attracting younger viewers to the WWE brand.

The WWE Experience will debut on Spike TV on Sunday, May 2, at 10 a.m./9C. The

one-hour TV-PG program, hosted by Todd Grisham and WWE Diva Ivory, will

feature weekly edited wrap-ups of the action and storylines from both of WWE's

flagship programs, Monday Night RAW® (Monday, Spike TV, 9 p.m./8C) and WWE

SmackDown! (Thursday, UPN, 8 p.m./7C). The program also will take a

behind-the-scenes look at the activities of the WWE Superstars from both

television brands.

"For years, we had a Sunday morning program, a tradition which ended in May 2001

when we announced a sweeping change of our cable programming," said Kevin Dunn,

WWE Executive Producer. "With The WWE Experience, we are bringing back that

Sunday morning tradition. Many of us when we were younger first discovered the

WWE through weekend programming, and now the current younger generation will

have that same opportunity with The WWE Experience."

Kurt Schneider, WWE Executive Vice President, Marketing, said The WWE Experience

is the start of a concerted effort to find more opportunities for younger

viewers to sample the WWE brand. "The WWE Experience will appeal to wrestling

fans of all ages as it is the only place you can see the entire lineup of WWE

Superstars on one program," he said. "Additionally, The WWE Experience will be a

key point-of-entry for a new generation of wrestling fans, and will serve as the

foundation for several initiatives that will appeal specifically to our younger

viewers."

WWE also announced that WWE Velocity on Saturdays on Spike TV will move from

10 p.m. to 7 p.m./6C, starting May 1. The one-hour live event show features the

talent of SmackDown!, and showcases original matches and Superstar highlights.

The program is hosted by Josh Mathews and Bill DeMott. With the time switch, the

program's rating will change from TV-14 to TV-PG.

WWE Confidential, which debuted on May 25, 2001, will end its run on Spike

TV on Saturday, April 24, 2004.

Other programs currently on the air for WWE:

-- WWE Sunday Night Heat® (Sunday, Spike TV, 7 p.m./6C) is a

one-hour live event show featuring Monday Night RAW

Superstars. Hosted by The Coach and Al Snow®, Sunday

Night Heat features original matches and Superstar highlights

of the hottest mat action and interviews Monday Night RAW has

to offer!

-- WWE Bottom Line (weekend syndication, check local

listings) delivers highlights and exclusives for Monday Night

RAW. This magazine format show analyzes key events on Monday

Night RAW and Sunday Night Heat.

-- WWE AfterBurn (weekend syndication, check local listings)

breaks down the week that was for the SmackDown! brand.

AfterBurn highlights matches and interviews from SmackDown!

and Velocity.

I had a chuckle when I first read this, because throughout the late 90s when the WWE was criticized by groups like the PTC, they were forceful in their claim that they did not advertise to children. Clearly it was a lie, since they still sold their action figures which is mainly for kids and there were still a lot of children in the audience whether they pandered to them or not. So now, with business down, they've made a change to try and attract a new demographic (ahem, one that was always there) to help themselves in the future. It's a good idea (the idea of going to a younger audience, not the WWE experience), I'll give them that, as there were hundreds of kids (12 and under) at the Hurricane autograph signing along with their parents who all had merch on them (very profitable), but I really hope it isn't leading to the mid-90's approach which gimmicks like Eugene seem to be indicating.

Any thoughts one what they could do to expand or enhance this market??

I always laugh when WWE says they don't advertise towards children, but they allow their advertisers to air commercials for whatever the newest Spy Kids or whatever that's coming out in theaters that won't be seen by anyone over the age of ten.

Guest Evolution

So, is the WWE Experience going to cover the entire Jericho/Christian angle, including how Trish likes it rough?

Good idea: Making a Sunday morning WWE show.

Bad idea: Making the product into something it isn't by editing it down for children.

I agree with the Livewire/Superstars idea. The WWE Experience sounds like an event that they'd hold during Wrestlemania.

EDIT: Well, I suppose by the time the WWE Experience debuts, the Jericho/Christian angle will be long over.

Still.

Another recap show? yadoh.gif

I don't know that I'll tune in for more than the first couple of weeks, but it's a wise enough idea. There's not much in the way of kid-friendly wrestling shows as far as I know, so it's nice that they'll have something to watch again. I could see guys like Hurricane getting their own regular segment somehow.

When I was a kid, and I'm sure alot of people here did as well, I watched Superstars on Saturday morning. It wasn't some fucking clip show. I wanted to see actual matches, and I'm sure kids today want to as well. This is just going to be Todd and Ivory acting dopey (thank GOD I don't have to watch it!) and it will hopefully bomb and they can use the time they have alloted from SpikeTV to put on some classic (FULL) matches.

WWE Confidential™, which debuted on May 25, 2001, will end its run on Spike

headstone.gif :(

The only bad thing about Confidential going is that there is no Mene Gene and something (actually) worse took its place. The amount of revisionist history, Trish Stratus features, and worthless Photoshoots and PPV Promos was enough to drive a man insane.

The only bad thing about Confidential going is that there is no Mene Gene and something (actually) worse took its place. The amount of revisionist history, Trish Stratus features, and worthless Photoshoots and PPV Promos was enough to drive a man insane.

word.

Guest Trivia247

yes but Saturday Superstars at Noon

and All American Wrestling on Sunday had Wrestling on it not behind the scenes crap of what the wrestlers favorite food is.

WWE Confidential™, which debuted on May 25, 2001, will end its run on Spike

headstone.gif :(

So will that episode of Confidential feature "A look back at Confidential"? :huh:

"Confidential really changed the way fans looked at the business. It wasn't just all in-ring anymore; we were the first to really take them backstage and get an honest behind-the-scenes look at what goes on in the WWE" - Gerry Briscoe

"For the first time, fans were able to get a real look at the WWE. No distorted view, no bias, just the truth. I think we really changed the perspective of the wrestling fan... they weren't just watching these superstars in the ring, they were watching people too. They were seeing the people that I get to see..." - Bruce Prichard

"In all my years in the wrestling business, which is well over 25 years, I've never seen anything like this. If you suggested a program like Confidential 20 years ago, that would -for the first time ever- show what goes on behind the scenes, you'd get thrown out on your ass. It just wasn't done like that back then. I was really proud to be a part of it." - Mean Gene

"I think that, in 10 years or so, we'll look back and think that Confidential wasn't a big deal... because in 10 years it would be common place to get this perspective on the wrestling business... but it did so much, it pulled that curtain aside and let the fans see what really goes on backstage. It was revolutionary" - Chris Jericho

"I owe a lot of my success to Confidential. I think this new generation of divas got a lot of exposure from it, and you got to see another side of our personality" - Trish Stratus

"I was worried that Confidential would show too much, that the magic would be lost in professional wrestling. But I'm glad to say I was wrong. Confidential really enhanced the product... I, and a whole lot of others - old schoolers if you will - breathed a sigh of relief... and then bukkaked Miss Jackie." - Sgt. Slaughter.

I said it before, I'll say it again, PUT THE CRUISERS ON A SHOW FOR KIDS. That way I get my Paul London and Bill Kidman and Hurricane fix, the WWE sells a LOT of actions figures and other merch, and they build up a loyal audience who can keep watching this and move into Smackdown/RAW

"For years, we had a Sunday morning program, a tradition which ended in May 2001

when we announced a sweeping change of our cable programming," said Kevin Dunn

Superstars ended in August '01. And if "for years" means "since '96", then OK.

WWE Confidential, which debuted on May 25, 2001, will end its run on Spike

It started on May 25, 2002.

Jeepers crow...

Oh c'mon, scrap that stupid name and bring back Livewire and/or Superstars!

Livewire? Would that mean a return of Todd Pettingil as well?

Todd Pettingil? Todd Pettingil? I would love to see him come back. Anything would be better than Coach

So I just realized that Coach isn't doing WWE Experience. D'oh

Guest sean pyro

I miss when Todd Pettingil would show us how to play as Hillary Clinton in NBA JAM right in the middle of a PPV.

Guest JMA

Why would a show designed to attract a younger audience be on Spike TV (The First Network for Men)? They need to promote a show off the network.

I also don't think too many parents would like their children gazing at Ivory's impressive cleavage. Although, if Sunny could do it...

Guest wrestlingbs

Let's think back to all those famous Confidential moments...

HBK admitting he was in on the screwjob...

The WWE blaming Bret Hart for WCW's fall...

Austin gets buried for leaving in '02...

And let's not forget that clip of Lita volunteering at the animal shelter that they showed 100 times.

RRR, all you needed was some irrelevant babble from "WWE Superstar Brooklyn Brawler", and it'd be perfect. :lol:

Btw, where did the whole Miss Jackie joke come from? That's the second time I've seen it. :huh:

Let's think back to all those famous Confidential moments...

HBK admitting he was in on the screwjob...

The WWE blaming Bret Hart for WCW's fall...

Austin gets buried for leaving in '02...

And let's not forget that clip of Lita volunteering at the animal shelter that they showed 100 times.

What about the 3,543,586 behind the scenes looks at "Walking Tall" and "the Rundown"?

Guest JMA

Man, Pettingil had it rough. Even Vince Russo made fun of his wrestling knowledge (or lack thereof) in the WWF's publications.

Guest FrigidSoul

or the WWE invading Europe and pissing off England and Scotland.

Or the indepth look at Ivory's house and obsession with Everything Cat

I at least hope they can air an exclusive match for each brand every week. Nothing big, but at least it could bring in a couple original segments each ep. Plus, it would be a perfect chance for SD to exploit the CWs. As for Raw, well, I'm sure Garrison Cade wouldn't mind squashing Arch Kincaid each week.