TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

Shadows Fall/God Forbid

Basically, I was at one of the best gigs I've ever been to last night (Funeral For A Friend/The Haunted/Million Dead/OneLineDrawing), when I spotted a poster for another gig on June 12th, the day before my birthday. The line-up is Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Shadows Fall and God Forbid. Now I know a few Killswitch songs which I really like and Chimaira were awesome when I saw them blow Ill Nino and Spineshank off the stage in November, but I've never heard Shadows Fall or God Forbid, though I know the names. Are they actually worth turning up early for or not- any help appreciated.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

They're ok. Shadows Fall is a mix of mid-tempo metal, hardcore, with a smidgin of wimpiness on their latest album. I haven't seen them live but I've heard pretty good opinions.

Lamb of God's my favorite band from that area.

Lamb of God's my favorite band from that area.

I was saying the same thing until I learned that Lamb of God come from Virginia (they were formerly known as Burn the Priest).

The new Killswitch album sucks...

God, yes it does. What is that, their third lead singer?

But any concert where Shadows Fall is playing requires an appearance by you. Definitely go and see them live. They came through on Ozzfest last year, and while my friends went to see Cradle of Filth, I branched off to go and see Shadows Fall. Unfuckingbelievable live show.

Guest Choken One
Ask CoreyLaz about Shadows Fall.

why?

The man hates SF with a fucking passion.

:P

The new Killswitch album sucks...

God, yes it does. What is that, their third lead singer?

But any concert where Shadows Fall is playing requires an appearance by you. Definitely go and see them live. They came through on Ozzfest last year, and while my friends went to see Cradle of Filth, I branched off to go and see Shadows Fall. Unfuckingbelievable live show.

weren't they both on 2nd stage!?! They were here in Sacramento.

Shadows Fall is, without a doubt, the best live band I've seen. Brian Fair is NUTS live, and after he takes his shirt off...he gets even crazier. The dreadlocks (which, literally, go down to his ass) whip people in the face, the microphone chord is swung above his head, and he's just a great frontman. Jason Bitner just kinda drums, and Paul Romanko is all "booyah, I have a bass." Not much. But Matthew Bachand and Jonathan Donais, the guitarists? They trade solo's for a few songs, and are great live guitarists. I <3 Jon Donais.

As for KSE's new album...does it sound like Alive Or Just Breathing, or do they actually decide to SOLO at some point?

Personally, I love the new KSE.

I can, however, see why those who like very hard metal would dislike it. But for someone like myself who digs heavy, heavy metal without nonsensical screaming, I'm loving it.

Not exactly big on the back-up vocals on "Take This Oath" and such, though.

I love KsE immensely, but I'm kind of worried about the new album. I'm yet to hear anything from it personally, but from what I've heard I think I may wind up being dissappointed.

As for God Forbid, I HIGLHLY reccommend them. They are great live. Their part of the Northeast US Metal scene. They have a melodic thrash/hardcore sound. They balance lots of heavy breakdowns and melodic parts. No real solos, and their instrumentals kind of wind all over the place, but in a good way. The new album has more melodicness and clean vocals than before.

I went to the Headbangers Ball tour last November and it's been my favorite concert I went to. It was Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Lamb of God and Killswitch.

God Forbid opened and they were slow opening the doors, so I missed them, but Shadows Fall were great. I didn't know too much about them going in, but they were awesome. As soon as their set was done, I went over to the booth to get their shirt. It is worth seeing their show just for the lead singer's hair alone. Although that was a joke, it was pretty entertaining. Definately worth a check.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Shadows Fall is fun live, but bleh as far as their actual songs go but good energy. Might wanna skip the album unless you like Metallica circa 1985 a lot.

Guest whatitistoburn

Wait wait wait...

Did that guy just say he say The Haunted and ONELINEDRAWING at the same show.

How the fuck did that work out?

It actually worked pretty well. Because it was Funeral For A Friends last tour of the year, they wanted to take their favourite bands on tour, which were The Haunted, Million Dead and OLD. I was pretty worried beforehand, because I love OneLineDrawing and I thought that a one-man-and-his-guitar show might get booed of stage, but people seemed to love it. The Haunted were decent, but FFAF were incredible, even better than on record.

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like it'll be well worth my while turning up on time.

You saw the Haunted with their returning original vocalist Peter Dolving. I've seen them twice with their other, Marco Aro, and they rocked my socks off. As far as album vocals go, Peter is much better because he screams and sounds more like a psycho, where Marco kind of has the usual hardcore/thrash style vocals.