TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NES Classic Series?

Guest Askewniverse
Knuckles has had way too many heel turns already, so he couldn't take over that role.  Getting "tricked" so many times just has made him look like a big fat idiot.

Too many heel turns, frequently looked like an idiot...sounds almost like AS's take on Kurt Angle.

Guest CronoT
Miyamoto is a genius: agree or disagree?

Miyamoto is one of the best bookers in the business. He's done it all. Road agent, backstage, ring set up, everything. The only sad part is he seems to be losing some of his edge with his bookings. I hope he gets hi style back. It would be a truly sad day to see him retire.

Miyamoto = Shigeru Miyamoto...the man responsible for starting the careers of Mario, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Link, Fox McCloud, and many others.

He even recently took a chance, and worked with the Legendary veteran Pac-Man on a project...called Pac-Man Vs.

Shigeru Miyamoto much like Vince McMahon is stuck in the past and cannot see that the future is now and does what he can to prevent the "It" product from getting over. Much like Vince holding down and ignoring the cruiserweights Shigeru has overlooked the optical disc medium and held on to and pushed the hoss known as the cart. The times are changing and progress is staring them in the rearview mirror but these promotors refuse to accept it and drive 10 mph below the limit all the while waving their arms for it to pass them bye.

back to the MegaMan is HHH conversation...HHH has had several transformations hasn't he? two different gimmicks in WCW, then the blue-blood snob and then the Game, so esentially MegaMan, MegaMan X, MegaMan EXE, and MegaMan Legend are the same guy, different gimmicks...

Shigeru Miyamoto much like Vince McMahon is stuck in the past and cannot see that the future is now and does what he can to prevent the "It" product from getting over. Much like Vince holding down and ignoring the cruiserweights Shigeru has overlooked the optical disc medium and held on to and pushed the hoss known as the cart.

You can also blame the design of the Gamecube controller on him. While being "old school" isn't necessarily bad, Miyamoto wants to return back to the days of two-button controllers, hence the emphasis on A and B.

However, as far as game production goes, it's hard to fault him, because his eye for talent has allowed some of the brightest stars in history of this industry to shine.

Although he's had some part in some scandals.

Who can forget about Mario's rampant drug use in the 80's, Donkey Kong's long history of steroid abuse, and the transvestite Birdo's sex change and subsequent hooking up with Yoshi?

Let's not forget Mario's years of being into bigamy. I heard rumours that during the 80s he accidentally killed Pauline while coked up, but I believe she was found to be alive when Mario went chasing her skirt again in 1994. On the surface it appears Mario seems to have finally kicked her to the curb, and with Luigi hooking up with Mario's "Land" flame Daisy, Mario is only with Peach now, but you never know if he's screwing over his brother by seeing his women on the side.

Mario's the biggest Muthafuckin Pimp on Toadstool Island.

Tho he needs to quit treating Toad like shit. That man has talent. He's strong, fast, and agile, but Mario holds him down at every turn.

Mario's the biggest Muthafuckin Pimp on Toadstool Island.

Tho he needs to quit treating Toad like shit. That man has talent. He's strong, fast, and agile, but Mario holds him down at every turn.

shiiiiiit, in my copy of SMB 2, Toad got the biggest push of them all!

well, he had a **** match against that frog-king thing in SMB2, but that was the only highlight of his career, after that it was job city...Mario of course took the credit for that match, much like Hogan at WM 4 helping Randy Savage...

Guest Askewniverse
ugh not more MegaMan, it doesn't matter which series it is, MegaMan is just too much...he even invaded the fighting game division and STILL won't job to legends such as Ryu and Ken...

I just saw the aforementioned Mega Man vs. Ryu match. It was a damn squash. The match had the potential to be a classic, but well, shit happens.

Who can forget about Mario's rampant drug use in the 80's, Donkey Kong's long history of steroid abuse, and the transvestite Birdo's sex change and subsequent hooking up with Yoshi?

I remember hearing about Mario's substance abuse. According to the Behind the Hero documentary, Mario got hooked on shrooms and stars, thanks to Luigi.

Screw all of those guys, Pac Man is the one guy who got really shafted. He was the Jumbo Tsuruta, paving the path for all these upstarts like Mario and Donkey Kong to arrive. Furthermore, his own wife, Ms. Pac Man tries to horn in on his legacy and poor Pac Man is relegated to jobber duty in no name indys to make himself some cash and his legacy seemingly ends with Pac Man 3D. What should've been the videogame's brightest star got overshadowed by newer, flashier characters and it's a true shame that nobody remembers his greatness anymore.

Guest whatitistoburn

Personlly, I've been buying up old tape collections. Any of you guys see the ***** handicap match, Lavos v Crono, Marle, Robo? That match is insane. Not to mention the Frog v Magus hell in a cell match on the undercard.

Anybody ever import any EarthBound stuff? They should be huge in America, but they work a Japan-based style and Nintendo won't push them like they should. Sure, Ness was in SSB and SSB:M, but he was always overshadowed. You had to go through hell to get him in the first game, and when he wasn't a hidden character, they made him tone down everything. He was booked to be so weak.

Now, Donkey Kong, there's a sad story. Throughout the 80s and into the early 90s, Shiggy pushes him as a midcard comedy heel act for Mario to squash while Bowser laid low so the formula wouldn't get old. Then Rare comes in and takes DK under their wing. Nintendo allows it as they're too preoccupied with Sega. Then DK blows up huge and actually gives them a lead in the Console War. Still, whenever they can get their hands on him, he's always booked to be inferior to Mario. Rare sets up a tight continuity for DK, which is promptly forgotten whenever Mario is around. He still has his series, though. DK blows a spot in Donkey Kong 64, though, and the fans are just relentless. They're brainwashed sheep, catering to Nintendo's whim that DK is weak and Mario is strong. Then, Rare gets wooed by Microsoft and DK loses his backstage pull. Now Nintendo is booking him as a midcard face comedy act doing something with bongos. He should've been main eventing. Mario should have passed the torch.

Guest CronoT
Pac Man Lost his smile :(

Well, you would too, if you only had stale corn puffs to eat for years on end. And don't even get me started on how much mouthwash it takes to get that ghostie taste of his mouth.

You know almost all those Japanese feds don't give a crap about their guys, in or out of the ring.

Let's not forget when Pac-Man was booked as a guy who the audience was encouraged to sling rocks at in order for him to change his mood. Then they have his character do vignettes where his wife forces him to go get milk and do all the chores.

Guest CronoT
Let's not forget when Pac-Man was booked as a guy who the audience was encouraged to sling rocks at in order for him to change his mood. Then they have his character do vignettes where his wife forces him to go get milk and do all the chores.

I remember that. One IWC fan once described his performance as "Pac-Man has the IQ of a post."

While all the rocks people were throwing and hurling at him, Pac-Man is lucky he still can smile.

What's the current opinion on Nintendo's latest angle of using 4 different workers to play the Link character at the same time? So far from what I've seen, it's resulting in tremendous, "old school" style work from this stable that's really enjoyable.

Guest CronoT
What's the current opinion on Nintendo's latest angle of using 4 different workers to play the Link character at the same time? So far from what I've seen, it's resulting in tremendous, "old school" style work from this stable that's really enjoyable.

Maybe, but the booking is murder. You know how hard it is to get 4 different workers all on the same page, and not have them backstabbing each other backstage with/to the bookers?

Guest TonyJaymzV1

Pac-Man is on Crack.

Limnk should be the Nintendo champion, as he hasn't lost a step in all his years, can still go, and has the charisma to carry dead weight like SC2's Nightmare in exhibition matches.

Screw Sonic vs. Mario, I wanna see Sonic vs. Link

Now Nintendo is booking him as a midcard face comedy act doing something with bongos. He should've been main eventing. Mario should have passed the torch.

First off, you forget that the current DK is actually Donkey Kong Jr. Now, he's shown he can indeed do it all, reinacting the classic rivalry of his father and Mario in Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Still, I think in his prime Donkey Kong Classic was just as good but we never saw his platforming stuff. I think in many ways the remastered Donkey Kong game of '94 is better than Mario vs. DK (aka DK 2004). =D

Thing is, DK isn't that ambitious. The guy works for bananas and is content to be well-paid, get the spotlight now and then, and work programs with Mario. Nobody plays the game as well as Mario, so DK isn't going to waste his time trying. The guy becomes a complete Mario and Nintendo shill in DK 2004, playing a comedy heel who couldn't resist stealing Mario dolls.

Plus it could be worse--we could we getting DK's stupid nephew Kiddy Kong. Diddy and Cammy Kong are skilled, but too small to take over the enormous responsibility.

Oh, and Pac-Man's doing just fine. I *think* he's in retirement while Baby Pac has been taking over for him in the Pac-Man World games. The rumors of him blowing all his money and having to live out of Kirby's basement are unfounded.

I'm just wondering, even though I'm kinda glad about it...

What happened with the Mega-Push of the Poké-World Order? They seemed to be unstopable...and now have died down A LOT.

What's the story with that?

The fans started to lose interest in them when one of their ppvs,PWO Ruby I think, bombed in the buyrates.

They also got very stale as they were doing the same thing on every show and PPV.

Anybody see that comp the Pac-Man Collection by Namco? It features early footage of Pacman in his glory days as he squashes the ghosts in his most memerable contest. It also shows 2 of Pac-Man's failed attempts at gimmick changes and there were many many changes but these 2 stand out the most. And the revival of the legend at the Namco Anniversary Show at LA.

The 1st of which was the attempt at playing mindgames if you will in Pac-Attack. Pac-Man turned his back on the fans with this heel turn as he slowed down the pace of the game. Pac-Man started to taunt the ghost with the use of false finishes and cheat-2-win tact. P-Man also started to no-sell the offense of the ghost crew. Just when you thought the ghost had him, P-Man's manager the Fairy would give him the Power Pill and P-Man would Pac-Up and go on the offensive.

In the 2nd failed gimmick change by Pac-Man he ventured to the Sega Circuit and tried to work in the 3-D enviroment in Pac-Mania. Now even though Pac-Man tried to go back to classic fast paced moveset the fans just could not support it. I don't about you but I enjoyed the highspots that Pac-Man added in his tenure at Sega but there was no substances so it was hard to support.

So after years on the road and working the different styles of the world Pac-Man came back with a vengence in Arrangement Mode. Pac-Man finally got healthy from all of the injuries he received from working the platform style which he was uncomfortable with. Pac-Man returned to the fundmentals and took what worked for him in the classics and added some spotfest to his moveset. Which included the skills he learned while working the japanese style such as the hyper speed spear attack and the top rope attacks. Very few has seen this since it was at the anniversary show at LA. But fancams of the Arrangement Mode found their way to the ROMz trading community mainly supported only by trader groups such MAME and mIRC. When the Namco found out that there was a big fanbase for the classics they distributed the whole anniversary show and several comps to all of the consoles.

Guest KingofHarts

Link is the all time king of Batttle Royals . Just Look at the The Smash Bro's Pay Per Views. And who can argue that Link was the #1 superstar in the soon to be classic Soul Calibur Guantlet Match.

Link using four different personas just doesn't work in current times. I know you have to re-work your gimmick, but being four different charecters is unprecident. It reminds me of the Three Faces of Foley era, which novelty wore out quickly

Does anybody know if Link has ever broken the age old Kayfabe and actually talked. I know back when he had his show he was quite a smartass, but I don't think he has every cut a promo in the ring

And for the record King of Hearts, as I'm SURE you know.....Spawn was the king of the Soul Caliber Gauntlet