TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mrnoitaull

Actors who you beleive

Lance Henriksen from The Terminator, Pumpkinhead, Near Dark, Aliens, the Tv Show Millenium and others. So underrated and it's sad that he's reduced to terrible direct to video garbage nowadays.

I'll agree with Bill Paxton, as well. Tremendous character actor that man is.

Willem DaFoe, Gary Oldman and James Woods? I don't believe i've ever heard of them being underrated...they're USUALLY critically acclaimed when referred to...

I agree , all are in fact acclaimed actors and are seat fillers, yet I dont believe Oldman still has had his deserving/starring role.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
Josh Hartnett.

Dude, he's so bad. He doesn't play roles, he plays himself. Dare I say he is the msot one-dimensional actor around nowadays. Yes, he's that bad.

Going a bit off-topic, that's the same with Keanu Reeves. I'm not saying he's underrated, but he is very one-dimensional. His only good branch-out role was in Speed. That's it.

I'd've gone some more ex-/View Askew actors too, but I'd be giving you the whole cast from Drawing Flies to JSBSB.

I've never seen a bad William H Macy performance- he was fantastic in Pleasantville, Mystery Men and especially Fargo.

Also Christopher Meloni was great in both Wet Hot American Summer and Bound, both totally different roles.

Willem DaFoe, Gary Oldman and James Woods?  I don't believe i've ever heard of them being underrated...they're USUALLY critically acclaimed when referred to...

I agree , all are in fact acclaimed actors and are seat fillers, yet I dont believe Oldman still has had his deserving/starring role.

Eh, what about Dracula?

And, the Banky Edwards character from "Chasing Amy" is one of my favorites of all time.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
Johnny Depp use to be. Funny thing is he's now so popular that he's getting close to being "overrated'' by the masses.

He's not really overrated, it just took POTC to get them to understand what people (Myself included) have been saying for years... he's an excellent actor.

you know what....

I think Mandy Moore is underrated as an actress.

I've liked all the roles she has done up to this point. She made me sad for her in A Walk to Remember, and most recently has made me hate her in Saved! She can onlyyyy improve from here.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
you know what....

I think Mandy Moore is underrated as an actress.

I've liked all the roles she has done up to this point. She made me sad for her in A Walk to Remember, and most recently has made me hate her in Saved! She can onlyyyy improve from here.

All she does is squish her face like she's getting ridden from behind for 90 minutes.

and looks damn hot doing it.

I would say Sam Rockwell. The MAN in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

also, Jason Lee is fuckin gold. From Pro-Skater to awesome actor, he's rad.

Nicolas Cage is better than people give him credit for (although adaption and matchstick men might have changed that)

William H. Macy in everything ownz faces. The Cooler kicked ass.

Alec Baldwin when he isn't phoning it in.

John Legizamo...Ligwi....You know who the fuck I mean. That guy is talented.

Michael Rappaport. Ownz faces.

Nicky Katt. Not Boston Public (I've never watched it). But I think his movies are great.

Frickin' awesome in Boiler Room (and the best part about the first season of Boston Public).

Other underrated ones:

Steve Buscemi

Scott Bakula (just for Quantum Leap alone)

Ed O'Neill

Jason Lee

Michael Rapaport (he was good on Boston Public until the show started sucking really bad; even he couldn't save it)

James Marsters, J. August Richards, Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof.

All critically acclaimed actors that you have never heard of.

If that ain't underrated, I don't know what is.

I thought Rappaport was excellent in "Beautiful Girls" and in "True Romance"

Good quotes from his character "Paul Kirkwood" in BG

"Supermodels are beautiful girls, Will. A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man--promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels. "

"They're all sisters. It's one big conspiracy. Trust me. "

"You let her behind the curtain, I know you did. You never let them behind the curtain Will. You never let them see the little old man behind the curtain working the levers of the great and powerful OZ. They are all sisters Willie... they aren't allowed back there... they mustn't see. "

Johnny Depp use to be. Funny thing is he's now so popular that he's getting close to being "overrated'' by the masses.

He's not really overrated, it just took POTC to get them to understand what people (Myself included) have been saying for years... he's an excellent actor.

As a totally new Depp fan, I can agree with the second statement. After seeing PotC - which, it should be noted, I never wanted to see, because I knew I'd enjoy it - I became hooked on seeing almost anything Depp has been in, save for a few movies [i have no interest in seeing Blow, Cry Baby, and a few others]. I've bought quite a few DVDs as well - From Hell, Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon [my fave movie of his], Sleepy Hollow, PotC, & Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

After watching all those, I'm curious as to why I've never really heard of him before. He's just brilliant in each of the movies I own, and so versatile. Anyone that can play Sands and Ichabod Crane so convincingly deserves a few awards, I think.

Tom Sizemore.

He's good to great in everything he's been in.

When he's actually making films or TV shows, that is. Lately he's just been drinking and beating the shit out of Heidi Fleiss and being sent to jail for it.

Guest El Satanico
Depp's best role IMO is in Donnie Brasco.

pffft...Donnie Brasco was no Hunter S. Thompson or Ed Wood

And yes Yuna Donnie Brasco is good, but please tell me you've seen Ed Wood and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Depp's best role IMO is in Donnie Brasco.

pffft...Donnie Brasco was no Hunter S. Thompson or Ed Wood

And yes Yuna Donnie Brasco is good, but please tell me you've seen Ed Wood and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I've seen Ed Wood..it was a movie I waited for quite a while at my local vid place. Mainly because - yes, I'll admit it - I saw that he was a crossdresser in it. I saw this on the Depp episode of 'Inside the Actor's Studio' when I just becoming obsessed. I'm all 'Wait..what?'. So, of course I had to rent it.

A bit on the dull side, but that's to be expected. I compare it to the '99 Titus...it's a movie that you have to be in the right mood for to watch all the way through. I totally think he was wonderful in Ed Wood, and Bill Murray's part in it was.....interesting, to say the least.

I have not yet seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas....a bit hesitant on that one.

SEE IT!!! SEE FEAR AND LOATHING!!!~

Anyway, Depp, IMO, is probably the best actor I've ever seen. While DeNiro is still my favorite, he only really plays the same kind of characters (although, King of Comedy was good, and that wasn't the typical mob guy.) Depp, however, gets into every role and plays them beautifully. I saw PotC, thought he did great as Cap. Jack, then saw OUaTiM, and was in awe at how he could play two completely different characters so perfectly back to back. It's a skill that's kind of lacking nowadays.