TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Insane Bump Machine

Favourite Opening Credits

I was just waching Bullitt, and the opening credits sequence is just awesome. Some other great ones that come to mind:

Se7en

Dirty Harry

Monkey Business (not yet, Cary :D )

Fight Club

Batman

I'm sure I'll add more later. What about you?

The Bond movies have nice opening sequences. For television some of my fvorites are Oz, Family Guy, Futurama and I'll always have a soft spot for the Law and Order intro. *dun dum*

My favorite right now though is the CSI intro. Forensic crime solving + The Who= awesome.

The only film in which I've ever actually thought "wow, these opening credits were done well" was the recent Punisher film. So, that, I guess.

Of course, I was stoned beyond belief, so your results may vary.

What I like is when opening credits provide a bit of back-story...or any type of story at all. For instance, Red Dragon. It tells the story of what happened after Hannibal Lecter was captured, what's going on in Graham's life in between the case and his current life -- or at least what the tabloids portray. And all this is kept up in an obsessive journal by the 'villain', Red Dragon.....whose name escapes me. Most likely, I'll remember much later.

Another example of the story-ish credits is Sleepy Hollow. Yet it's one of those credits that only make sense after all the secrets of the movie are revealed. Or maybe it's not the credits I'm thinking of for SH, but the intro. Hmm...it's prolly the intro, as the intros occur whilst Ichabod Crane is en-route to Sleepy Hollow. Still, those credits are cool, too. I loved the foggy, misty way they made Depp's and Ricci's names, along with the movie title; and later, the leave-effect for some of the other names.

Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China had a very good opening sequence that perfectly illustrated how huge and insane the Ranma 1/2 cast is. I liked it very much.

The opening credits for Catch Me If You Can were pretty good.

Otherwise I can't think of much that hasn't been mentioned here.

Guest Seven Sins

I don't really no if this would count but, the Opening sequence to the TCM remake with the "Phony cop scenes and investagation" into the house. Even though the orginal movie was much better.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly has an awesome opening credits segment. How all their faces and scenes from the movie get painted on the screen to that song is rad.

and even though it's a skate video (fuck it, I don't care) Flip "Sorry" has a bad ass opening thing.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

I've pretty much drawn a blank.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Guest Mosaicv2

Dogma- because you'll never expect a movie to start with a bunch of kids beatin the shit out of a old man with hockey sticks

the original Friday the 13th & others that I can't think of now

A Fistful of Dollars - great song, cool artwork.

To the guy who said he loves one-shot openings:

Have you seen Snake Eyes by Brian de Palma? The movie itself is mediocre, but it has a great one-shot opening.

Can't believe I forgot this: Dead or Alive by Takashi Miike. As far as energetic openings go, nothing comes close.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Big Trouble in Little China, hell... any Carpenter flick.

Guest thebigjig

Kill Bill Volume 1...

as for tv, I love the Get Smart credit sequence

Guest Smues

I liked Beavis and Butthead Do America's opening with the Shaft ripoff song playing.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

I can't believe none of you have mentioned Once Upon A Time In The West. That is an excellent opening credits sequence! It is so quiet, and those annoying sounds, and the three men waiting at the train station. It's a 180 degree turn away from how The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly opened up. I also like the Wild Bunch credits, when it ends with "If they move, kill 'em," with a freeze-frame of "Directed by Sam Peckinpah." That's a great warm up for the action that precedes it. I just love Westerns, and their opening credits.

I can't believe none of you have mentioned Once Upon A Time In The West. That is an excellent opening credits sequence! It is so quiet, and those annoying sounds, and the three men waiting at the train station. It's a 180 degree turn away from how The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly opened up. I also like the Wild Bunch credits, when it ends with "If they move, kill 'em," with a freeze-frame of "Directed by Sam Peckinpah." That's a great warm up for the action that precedes it. I just love Westerns, and their opening credits.

A year old thread but I had to give you props for pimping OUTTITW, especially the opening because of this exchange-

Lead Bandit- Looks like we didn't bring enough horses heheh

Harmonica- No, you brought 2 too many BLAM BLAM BLAM!!

That and Henry Fonda in black killing kids, Damn Leone's awesome- I'm gonna have to watch that film again sometime soon.