TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

NBA Offseason News and Moves

Fresh from NBA.com's player movement section of the website..

"Cleveland acquires Eric Snow from Philadelphia for Kedrick Brown and Kevin Ollie

Sacramento agrees to a contract with Greg Ostertag"

Snow joins LeBron in Cleveland and Ostertag will be Miller's backup on the Kings. I like both moves.

Are there any good players on the 76ers team now other than Allen Iverson?

Brian Skinner is a decent big man, and played good for the Bucks last year.

Samuel Dalembert, watch this kid. He will tear it up this season. I maybe biased because he lived in my hometown.

Nick Van Exel has been traded from the Warriors to the Blazers for Dale Davis and Dan Dickau

Because the Blazers NEED more PG's, dammit.

when he uses his jumper as his first weapon he's one of the best players in the L.

I have got to disagree with this one. Sometimes Carter seems like he is trying to fight his typecasting and hoists up lousy shots when he should take it strong to the rim.

If I am Carter's coach I tell him to drive first, and shoot second. Average shooters are everywhere in the league. Carter's explosiveness and leaping ability are what set him apart.

Sacramento agrees to a contract with Greg Ostertag

And somewhere Steviekick dances in the streets.

Are there any good players on the 76ers team now other than Allen Iverson?

Brian Skinner is a decent big man, and played good for the Bucks last year.

Samuel Dalembert, watch this kid. He will tear it up this season. I maybe biased because he lived in my hometown.

Don't sleep on Willie Green neither.

Nick Van Exel has been traded from the Warriors to the Blazers for Dale Davis and Dan Dickau

Because the Blazers NEED more PG's, dammit.

Van Exel can also play a SG. That is his natural postion.

when he uses his jumper as his first weapon he's one of the best players in the L.

I have got to disagree with this one. Sometimes Carter seems like he is trying to fight his typecasting and hoists up lousy shots when he should take it strong to the rim.

If I am Carter's coach I tell him to drive first, and shoot second. Average shooters are everywhere in the league. Carter's explosiveness and leaping ability are what set him apart.

No, what got him injured was driving first all the time. His best year was when he used the threat of driving to create space for his jumper and then in turn let the threat of his jumper create space for driving. He got away from that the last couple years and became strictly drive first, defenders stopped respecting his jumper and learned how to dictate his drives to him, and he overcompensated resulting in injury.

And why does Cleveland need Eric Snow? Jeff McInnis moving to the two?

Nick V is a nice pick up for Portland though, he can play the 1 or 2 depending on if he's in with Stoudamire or Anderson. All three of those guys are streaky but great scorers when they're on, so I guess Mo Cheeks will hope for steady play from the frontcourt and just ride the hot hand in the backcourt.

Van Exel going to Portland only helps the Blazers, but does it help Van Exel? The guy has been a lockerroom cancer everywhere he's gone and now he goes to a team that runs roughshod off the court.

It's simply a matter of time until Van Exel is pulled over with weed/crack/heroine/unregistered handguns/cloned cell phones, perhaps all of the above.

Guest FrigidSoul
Van Exel going to Portland only helps the Blazers, but does it help Van Exel? The guy has been a lockerroom cancer everywhere he's gone and now he goes to a team that runs roughshod off the court.

It's simply a matter of time until Van Exel is pulled over with weed/crack/heroine/unregistered handguns/cloned cell phones, perhaps all of the above.

Portland got rid of all those people except for Zach Randolph. I mean Van Excel is going to be able to feed the ball to Randolph, Abdur-Raheem, and Darius Miles(I excluded Ratliff because he's basically a rebounder). I'm sure he'll be pretty happy running that offense.

Sacramento agrees to a contract with Greg Ostertag

And somewhere Steviekick dances in the streets.

I couldn't think of a better birthday present.

Tag had a few redeeming moments, but for the most part was just a headache. Dumb on the court decisions and getting paid a hell of a lot of money and never producing ticked me off. I mean, he's a nice guy and all; he gave a kidney up for a family member who needed one, but he drove me nuts as a fan.

If he does well in Sac, I'll be very angry. But I doubt that.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

And Sacramento fans weep.

They somehow managed to find someone slower than Vlade Divac who isn't anywhere near as clever. I think he'll do alright, as he's good for rebounding and shot blocking and the Kings need both but he's so opposite from what the Kings need in big men, as far as passing and hitting open jumpers go.

Ah well. He can foul the shit out of Tim Duncan for them I guess. Maybe he'll take his teeth out too.

Willie Green and Samuel Dalembert were doing damage last year for the Sixers, so yeah, they've got a decent 3 man core. I think they'll make the Playoffs, with Skinner added into the mix. They'll get slaughtered in the first round but still.

I think he's a pretty good pickup for them actually. Vlade was great in the team game and clubhouse but they couldn't get it done with him in the middle and he's on his way downhill. Ostertag will give them better production on the boards and defense, and Vlade's passing skills aren't a major loss because they still have Webber and Miller who they can run the offense through. Plus they have the luxury of bringing him off the bench and without Shaq to contend with they can play Miller-Webber in crunchtime. I consider it an upgrade for them, and both LA and Sacramento improved here.

Portland got rid of all those people except for Zach Randolph. I mean Van Excel is going to be able to feed the ball to Randolph, Abdur-Raheem, and Darius Miles(I excluded Ratliff because he's basically a rebounder). I'm sure he'll be pretty happy running that offense.

Ratliff is not a good rebounder. I watched him in Atlanta, kid was not a good rebounder. He's kinda soft, but hes a great shotblocker.

And Sacramento fans weep.

They somehow managed to find someone slower than Vlade Divac who isn't anywhere near as clever. I think he'll do alright, as he's good for rebounding and shot blocking and the Kings need both but he's so opposite from what the Kings need in big men, as far as passing and hitting open jumpers go.

Ah well. He can foul the shit out of Tim Duncan for them I guess. Maybe he'll take his teeth out too.

Willie Green and Samuel Dalembert were doing damage last year for the Sixers, so yeah, they've got a decent 3 man core. I think they'll make the Playoffs, with Skinner added into the mix. They'll get slaughtered in the first round but still.

I guess getting Ostertag is the Kings unofficial way of saying they are beginning their retooling period. A sign of gloom to come.

I do agree about the Sixers just being able to get into the playoffs, but since they traded off Snow, I'm really wondering who is going to be their point guard.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Willie Green and AI will be their backcourt I assume. They may get a combined 8 assists between them but you can bet your ass well over 35 shots will be put up with 35% of them even going in.

Ratliff isn't a very good rebounder though, he gets a decent amount but the bastard tips them a lot instead of just grabbing and clinching. He does what Rodman used to do, tip tip tip except he forgets to finally just grab the stupid thing.

And while Ostertag will give them better shot blocking, I dunno about better overall defense. Vlade had Shaq afraid to even touch him there for awhile because he knew if he did, the flop was coming and the foul had a 60-40 chance of being called. Vlade is by no means a good defender but he's great at making guys afraid to make any contact with him. He also has the amazing ability to foul the shit out of someone without the ref realizing it. I just think it's a downgrade because you go from one of the smartest players on the court to a complete moron in Ostertag.

As of now the 6ers would probably start Iverson at point and McKie/Iguodala at the 2 w/ Iverson doing most of the ballhandling, plus Ollie can handle the point for short stints. That's not a bad guard rotation and Iverson will definitely have the ball in his hands 90% of the time.

I'm high on Jim O'Brien as a coach, and I like the frontcourt rotation of Dalembert, Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Coleman. Dalembert and Skinner bang, Thomas boards well and scores and Coleman can play a conservative role of the bench. Dalembert especially has great potential, he put up some monster games last year, just needs to be more consistent. I think this team has the pieces in place to make a run at the 5 or 6 spot in the East, but I also think Glenn Robinson is a major question mark who could make or break them. He didn't fit their team at all last season, he doesn't play the kind of D that O'Brien will want, and it's widely rumoured that he was the guy Iverson singled out last season as quiting on the team and not playing hard enough.

I think they're better off moving Glenn Robinson if he's not going to show up every night.

Yeah I would be pretty shocked if they could move Robinson, who probably won't be able to be unloaded until his last year of contract so teams can get some cap space. I agree on Dalembert, kind of a Ben Wallace model.

I don't see why Kings fans are bemoaning the Ostertag signing that much, it's not like he is going to play significant time or cost you guys 36 million dollars!

Ostertag has a career 6.5 ppg 7.4 rpg. He's a solid backup center.

What happened to Ostertag signing with Dallas? The local wrap had him as a potential signing for the Wolves, but said he was going to sign with him hometown team the Mavericks.

Guest Soylent Green Is People

I don't mind the Van Exel to Portland trade, giving up Davis and Dickau really isn't any loss at all and Van Exel's better than any option they currently have to fill in when Stoudamire or Anderson are on the bench. Van Exel's best days are behind him, but Portland's starting guards play the majority of the game anyway so he wont be relied on to do very much.

I like the addition of Van Exel to the Blazers. He can play both guards and when hes hot, hes HOT sometimes. The Blazers also have Darius Rice (Univ Miami, Fl) on their summer league team. I hope he makes the roster so bad. I caught a couple of his games on tv the last few years and he can flat out play. Dumped 40 on Uconn in 03' including the game winning 3. He can shoot the lights out at times and I think alot of teams made a mistake by not drafting him even in the second round. He is also a kid of great character. Hopefully he makes the roster and I would love to see him flourish and become a starter in the future for the Blazers.

Its been rumored that a Shareef Abdur Rahim for Kittles trade could happen. I was thinking that since Kidd isnt happy in New Jersey and the Blazers want an upgrade at the guard position, do you think they would trade away Kidd? SAR and Damon maybe for just Kidd? It would give New Jersey two starters for the price of an unhappy one. The Blazers would benefit from having a great pg to feed Randolph who I think needs someone like Kidd to elevate his game to the next level. Also Kidd is 31 and will probably only be around at his current level of play for 3 more years or so. He could help mentor Telfair and show him how a top tier PG is suposed to play.

Sure its wishful thinking but anything can happen. And Kidd obviusly isnt happy in NJ.