TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Official Spiderman 2 Thread

You know......even though he had the cool metal arms he was still a normal human. Doc Ock didn't really gain any super strength or anything.....just the ultra strong metal tentacles. So how the hell was he able to take such a pounding from Spider Man?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I guess I am an idiot for not knowing something because I didn't read the source material.

No, you are an idiot for arguing with me about it after I had informed you of her necessity.

I guess I am an idiot for not knowing something because I didn't read the source material.

No, you are an idiot for arguing with me about it after I had informed you of her necessity.

You sound like a kid. But whatever, I'm not arguing with you about petty shit between us in here when this thread is about Spidey.

Guest JMA
I still want to know what we're getting in the next movie! I want Venom dammit! The quicker we get Venom the quicker we get CARNAGE! I know they probably won't do a Carnage movie but still....they'd be stupid not to.

Hey, I'm a big fan of Venom's too. But there are many other characters that would work better at this point than him. I DO NOT want to see the Spider-Man franchise turn into a "symbiote-fest" like the nineties Spider-Man comics did. To be honest, Venom and Carnage's origins work better in the comics medium anyway.

Why is everyone so sure Doc Oc is dead? I know they showed his lifeless face in the water, but they also showed that big ball of energy STILL GLOWING behind him, which means the tentacles still have the possibility of saving Doc Oc, I mean you never know and to ME, they made it a point to show that the energy ball was still there

Saw it last night. Excellent movie. I was not bored with the so called slow spots. I thought the action sequences were spectacular and I liked the way the Peter/MJ/Harry triangle progressed.

I would grade it an A-/B+, leaning towards A-.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I still want to know what we're getting in the next movie! I want Venom dammit! The quicker we get Venom the quicker we get CARNAGE! I know they probably won't do a Carnage movie but still....they'd be stupid not to.

Hey, I'm a big fan of Venom's too. But there are many other characters that would work better at this point than him. I DO NOT want to see the Spider-Man franchise turn into a "symbiote-fest" like the nineties Spider-Man comics did. To be honest, Venom and Carnage's origins work better in the comics medium anyway.

I admire your tact, gentlemen, however I don't think anything you've said that actually constitutes a spoiler.

My View: I agree with Dama that Venom NEEDS to be there, he's too marketable and is too important a villain to NOT be in a film. However, I hate Carnage, and it's widely agreed that the only reason he exists was too turn Venom "tweener".

Guest SP-1

The problem with Venom is how do you pull it off while maintaining the 'style' of the movie universe? He's just so different from the regular Spidey villains that he stands out in such a sharp contrast.

Plus, which origin do you give him? Secret Wars is out of the question. The meteor from the animated series? The recent origin from ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN? The Ultimate origin would probably work best in the movie universe. Tone venom down quite a bit as well so he fits better in the movie universe. He'll be hard to pull off. While I wouldn't mind seeing him done well, I do think there are better villains to have Peter come up against before Venom shows up.

Sounds awesome, can't wait to watch it tonight! :headbang:

Edit: Brock Lesnar would be perfect for the Venom role.

FUCK YEAH! Great goddamn movie. James Franco knocked this one out of the park; he was awesome.

But the Green Goblin again? I was thinking they'd do someone else. Anyway, it'll be a cool dynamic with Harry behind the mask next time around.

Also: Bruce Campbell as the usher = BEST SCENE EVER! The man still has it. Indeed he does.

Also, as soon as the lab guy started using a chainsaw on Doc Ock's arms, I thought of the Evil Dead. Nice touch by Raimi.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
The problem with Venom is how do you pull it off while maintaining the 'style' of the movie universe? He's just so different from the regular Spidey villains that he stands out in such a sharp contrast.

Plus, which origin do you give him? Secret Wars is out of the question. The meteor from the animated series? The recent origin from ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN? The Ultimate origin would probably work best in the movie universe. Tone venom down quite a bit as well so he fits better in the movie universe. He'll be hard to pull off. While I wouldn't mind seeing him done well, I do think there are better villains to have Peter come up against before Venom shows up.

It wasn't a meteor in The Animated Series, but that's just a nitpick...

The answer to your first question is simple: You do what you did to the first two villains, change them to make them work in the film universe, just keep the character intact.

Guest SP-1

What was it in the animated series? For some reason I thought it crashed on a meteor or something.

And I agree about Franco. His, "He touched me!" line was great.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
What was it in the animated series? For some reason I thought it crashed on a meteor or something.

And I agree about Franco. His, "He touched me!" line was great.

Space Shuttle crash after going to Mars.

Guest SP-1

Ahh. Okay. The ULTIMATE origin might work best in the movie universe. Or something akin to it.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Ahh. Okay. The ULTIMATE origin might work best in the movie universe. Or something akin to it.

Actually, you can't beat the Animated Series for SHEER VISUAL IMPACT, plus the Space Shuttle making an emergency landing on the Brooklyn Bridge has an odd plausibility about it. AND it's very little backstory for the suit itself, which lets more time be spent with why BROCK hates Spider-Man, and Spidey and the suit's problems.

Christmas with the Kranks

That's the actual title? Oh well. I've heard the audio book version of Skipping Christmas, although I don't really see Tim Allen as Luther. He needs to be cantankerous and crabby. So while he takes plenty of abuse he's trying desperately to keep his dignity in it all.

However, Tim's version seems to be just going with it. Plus there's clearly stuff in the movie added that wasn't in the book. Bah.

Anyway, check out the book or audio book. It's really hilarious and probably will be far superior to the movie, which I expect will be just a load of stupid sight gags. The really funny moments were of course well set up with Luthor's own insights. As a movie...I don't think it will work.

Spider-Man 2--great. Better than that last movie and develops the Harry/Spider-Man conflict well. Now how does Harry justify his quest for revenge if he now knows that his dad was the Goblin? We know he will, but it's kind of a shock to the system I'd imagine. Although clearly he's losing it already...

Maybe I missed something, but what makes the tentacles not only have minds of their own, but evil minds? Why does merely possessing them turn Ock into a madman capable of doing anything to achieve his dreams?

I can buy that Ock, after his entire life's work has been ruined, denies that it was *his* fault and wants to try to do it again, right this time. However, the tentacles were seemingly supposed to be the impetus for it, like they controlled him. That was kind of confusing for me.

As for the Venom fans, *allegedly* Raimi has no interest in Venom or Carnage. Carnage I can see him not wanting to use since there's not much of a character to explore there. He's nuts and kills lots of people. That's about all there is to him.

Venom I don' t know about. The comic peeps could probably tell me if there's enough of a character to carry a movie, but isn't Venom basically a *good* guy except that he hates Spidey?

The 3rd movie is all set up well, though. Until the Harry/Spidey thing is wrapped up they can't really go too far beyond that.

Guest FileCabinet

If they do bring in Venom, his origin will probably have something to do with space. I think that may be one of the reasons they introduced John Jameson, other than to get rejected by Mary Jane. I don't believe his character would be brought in just for this movie. They'll probably do something similar to the animated series, except with John involved...unless they're planning to do something with Man-Wolf, which I doubt they are. If they are planning for Venom to be in an upcoming movie, I hope they're able to make him look as brutal as he's supposed to be, since a PG-13 rating will force them to tone it down.

Guest SpiderFan
but isn't Venom basically a *good* guy except that he hates Spidey?

Somewhat. Before Marvel turned him into an Anti-hero, he killed a few prison guards, but he was still saying how taking an innocent life was such a waste (well, why not just knock the guard out then? Geez, not that hard to figure out) This was when Venom was at his best, in my opinion. He was stalking Spider-man, messing with MJ, and basically being a menace to Pete in general.

Now that Marvel turned him into a good guy, he still hates Spidey, but relizes Pete saves lives, so he lets be. I don't think he kills innocent people anymore, just criminals. It's been a few years since I read anything new with Venom in it though, so I could be wrong about that part.

So he doesn't take *innocent* lives....but all bets are off for the rest, huh?

I suppose there's lots to work with there, but if they decide to do a movie with Venom and Sam isn't interested, I don't know of a director who could bring the same things to the table that Raimi did.

Raimi's talented and has been a fan of the character. If you don't have something like that in your director, you end up with debacles ranging from Batman & Robin (hack director, clueless about the material) to Hulk (good director, but didn't really *get* how to bring it to the screen and didn't really seem to have much interest in the source material at all, since it was more his adaption than anyone else's).

Anyway, Spider-Man 2's another example of how to do it right.

For how to do it completely wrong...well, see Catwoman. ;)

Guest JMA
What was it in the animated series?  For some reason I thought it crashed on a meteor or something.

Space Shuttle crash after going to Mars.

I believe the crew found the symbiote on an asteriod in the animated series. I don't recall there being a trip to Mars. But it has been a while since I've seen it.

They also introduced "Lizard" through Dr. Conners. He could also be in the third. However, these scientist gone wrong in 3 movies straight would get a little played out. Not to mention Lizard being straight CGI.

Venom would have to be saved for the fourth. If they want Venom, introduce Eddie Brock in the third and do the "Pete gets Brock fired bit" in it then let him become Venom in the fourth. The suit would need a totally new orgin though. Anything coming from space is dumb.

Also, what are all the major/significant Spidey villans anyway? I can think of a few:

Electro(Lame charater period)

Mysterio(Lame movie villan though)

Hobgoblin

Lizard

Vulture(would suck as a main movie villan)

Scorpion(Maybe his suit is anyother OZCorp invention)

Venom

Carnage

Kraven the Hunter

That perv that Kidnapped Mary Jane, can't think of his name.

Black Cat

Sandman(Lame again)

Lets just hope they stay away from the Spider Clone story.

Guest SpiderFan

The perv that kidnapped MJ was Jonathan Ceaser, but I'd hardly call him a major villian.

There's another bad review at Box Office Mojo. The guy gave it a "C" calling it "dull, and solw-paced." Idiot. Other than this, the rest are mostly raving reviews. Can't wait for friday!!

NO! Box Office Mojo... didn't... like it? Guess I won't be seeing it then. After all, "Box Office Mojo" is the ultimate authority on movies and anything they say is the gospel truth.

The movie looks very, very good, though I doubt it will surpass Superman II (the best superhero movie ever). X2 could have been great but the ending was really unsatisfying and rather cliched. Brian Cox deserved a better death scene than that...

Secret Agent you described 3 very cool villains that you said were lame.....sad.....*shakes head*

Also you said the suit coming from space would be lame. Umm......that's really where it came from. I'm sorry but that's true and we do have to maintain some relative closeness to the comic books. The suit came from space and it'd be pretty easy to do it.

They could maybe do the Hobgoblin/Green Goblin feud in the next movie.

I think they should throw Scorpion or somebody like that in the beginning just as a one shot battle during the beginning of the movie.

Saw the movie. Thought it was great, pretty much everything has been covered.

One question: My only real experience is with the animated series, but didn't his powers going on the fritz transition to becoming the man-spider? That could be quite an undertaking for the CGI guys if they put that in the film.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Saw the movie. Thought it was great, pretty much everything has been covered.

One question: My only real experience is with the animated series, but didn't his powers going on the fritz transition to becoming the man-spider? That could be quite an undertaking for the CGI guys if they put that in the film.

In the early comics he was very susceptable to virus and colds, they were building it as a Kryptonite type weakness for him, and in Doc Ock's second battle with Spidey, Peter lost his powers due to a virus.

Secret Agent you described 3 very cool villains that you said were lame.....sad.....*shakes head*

Also you said the suit coming from space would be lame. Umm......that's really where it came from. I'm sorry but that's true and we do have to maintain some relative closeness to the comic books. The suit came from space and it'd be pretty easy to do it.

They could maybe do the Hobgoblin/Green Goblin feud in the next movie.

I think they should throw Scorpion or somebody like that in the beginning just as a one shot battle during the beginning of the movie.

Sandman, Electro, and Vulture would transulate to film badly, IMHO. Thats why I said Lame for them. Mysterio would need a new suit, period.

The Venom suit coming from space is the actual orgin of the suit, but i think it'd be hard for them for them to do it that way in the movie, Hell it would take half the movie to explain the symboite. We don't want the Spiderman series to go down the shitter like Batman now, do we?

No but I also don't want it to only have characters as a link to the comic book. I'm a big believer in the fact that things should stay as close to the original source material as possible. The suit doesn't come from space then it all goes to hell.

I think they could do the Venom orgin of the symbiote coming back from the moon with Jaminson. Did'nt this movie introduce 3 characters that can become villians, Dr. Conners can be the Lizard, Jamison can be the Werewolf, Harry Osborne as the Green Goblin 2 and the possibility of Venom?

Guest Ghetto Bird
I think they could do the Venom orgin of the symbiote coming back from the moon with Jaminson.  Did'nt this movie introduce 3 characters that can become villians, Dr. Conners can be the Lizard, Jamison can be the Werewolf, Harry Osborne as the Green Goblin 2 and the possibility of Venom?

I thought that it was supposed to be "Man-Wolf."