TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jesse

DirecTV drops TNA

Guest Jesse

"DirecTV has canceled all TNA PPVs for reasons that have not been disclosed. This goes into effect immediately, as tomorrow's show will not be available through DirecTV. All other regular outlets are still airing the show." - Wrestlingobserver.com

I don't know how much this will affect the company, but it can't be good news.

Guest The Last Free Voice

Not good. this could cost them A LOT of buys.

Any clue as to why they have dropped it?

I'm guessing that it's because the buyrates weren't breaking even at only 5,000 buys. The only access I have to TNA now is through TNA Impact (as long as there aren't too many thunderstorms in my area to keep me from watching it, of course).

Dear TNA Wrestling fans with DIRECTV,

We are writing to you, our most loyal fans, to let you know that due to circumstances beyond our control, Total Nonstop Action Wrestling Pay-Per-View events will not air on DIRECTV in the month of July and for an undetermined amount of time. The last scheduled live TNA Wrestling Pay-Per-View event on DIRECTV aired on June 30, 2004.

This situation only affects customers of DIRECTV. All other outlets will continue to carry TNA events as they always have.

Remember, although our Pay-Per-View events will not be made available on DIRECTV, you can still watch Total Nonstop Action Wrestling IMPACT! on your local Fox Sports Net affiliate every Friday at 3pm, and on Comcast Sports Net every Saturday at midnight (check your program guide for info on channel/time).

We understand that you may have the urge to contact DIRECTV directly about this situation. We have set up an e-mail box, [email protected], to which you can send any comments that you would like DIRECTV to receive. We will forward all e-mails sent to [email protected] to the appropriate contacts at DIRECTV.

Thank you for being such a devoted TNA Wrestling fan. If there are any changes in this situation in the future, you will be one of the first to know.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at TNA Wrestling

----

the word that TNA sent to their e-mail list

Reason #586 to have digital cable.

I don't think my dad will switch to it since he has both DirecTV and Dish Network.

Isn't it odd how DirecTV has the most problems as far as continuing to air wrestling PPV's is concerned, since there were similar incidents with WWF No Mercy 2001 and WWF Royal Rumble 2002?

I still think it might be the poor buyrates, though.

Maybe this will help them to drop the weekly PPV's

Maybe this will help them to drop the weekly PPV's

Even if TNA starts airing monthly PPV's like WWE does in certain months, we don't know how long it will take for TNA to start airing their PPV's on DirecTV once again.

Guest Reservoir_Kitty

Shit!!

I was going to order that so I could see Ken Shamrock.. dammit.. DirecTV sucks. I wish I had cable. :(

yeah, this is bad news and shit. but there's nothing like a good kick to the balls to make someone work a little harder. this'll test TNA, which i think they need.

Guest TDinDC1112
Any clue as to why they have dropped it?

I'm guessing that it's because the buyrates weren't breaking even at only 5,000 buys. The only access I have to TNA now is through TNA Impact (as long as there aren't too many thunderstorms in my area to keep me from watching it, of course).

I SERIOUSLY doubt buy rates have anything to do with it. That weekly ppv is going to get more buys than any movie they put up against it, and it costs more than a movie, so DirecTV/cable make more money.

I bet it has to do with Fox Sports, orrrrrrr

isn't TNA a joint type product with indemand? And isn't indemand a competitor in a way of DirecTV? I thought I read something about that a while back.

Reason #586 to have digital cable.

Your digital cable provider could drop it just like Directv.

I don't even order the PPVs.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!?!

I have digital cable so it doesn't effect me, but this is so out of the blue and the whole "effective immediately" thing doesn't sound good, like something triggered it.

This is not good...

Guest Donners

They only signed a new deal a few months ago, so this is an odd move indeed.

Funniest part is that News Corp owns DirecTV, FOX, FX and FSN.

Yep you are right.....maybe they saw it as a conflict....but who knows..

But this is not good news...next thing you know...FSN wil drop it...since they are all apart of the NewsCorp family..

This will hurt TNA weekly PPV's alot...Directv is the main source of TNA buys...and with 12 million plus subcribers on Directv...this is very bad..

I don't get how that's a conflict that NewsCorp owns all those channels.

No clue...but I was just saying that may be a possiblility..

I don't get how that's a conflict that NewsCorp owns all those channels.

No clue...but I was just saying that may be a possiblility..

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure DirecTV is run completely seperate of the cable networks.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Is it cheaper for TNA to be on PPV or Direct TV? I always heard that DTV was cheaper, so if this is the case.......it really sucks for TNA.

To be honest I thought Directv and TNA had a very good business relationship...does anyone remember when Directv dedicated a full page article on Total Nonstap Action and there PPV...

There was even a exclusive PPV show at one time....that was only carried on Directv...so this really is a shocker to me..

Due to current negotiations, Pay Per Views have been temporarily suspended from showing on Direct TV. Negoatations are also underway with the Dish Network.

source: TNA's street team newspage.

-----------------

Maybe they'll be back on soon. Maybe OR NOT???