TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PlatinumBoy

Books you can read over and over again....

Guest PlatinumBoy

Lately, I just haven't been able to get enough of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius". I can seriously read that book everyday and never get bored of it--it's that amazing. There are some other books that I can read over and over again without getting bored, like Invisible Man (the one about race, not the sci-fi one), anything about Mythology, etc. etc.

Anyone else got any books they can just plow through a lot? Also, I recommend A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius of course--though most probably have heard of it if they are fans of that style of writing.

Guest SP-1

Peter David's work on the New Frontier series. I can read pretty much any of those books anytime.

"The Damnation Game" by Clive Barker, which I firmly believe is one the greatest "modern-day" horror novels of all time.

Also by Barker, "Weaveworld."

This doesn't necessarily count as a book (unless you count his short story collections), but I constantly reread anything and everything written by Harlan Ellison.

I mean, "Mefisto in Onyx"? "Paladin of the Lost Hour"? "The Man Who Rowed Columbus Ashore"? Owns you.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, though I haven't tried in a while.

King of this is One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's so packed with straight-up fantastic writing that it's always a pleasure.

And them there's Joyce's Ulysses; I've only read the whole thing once, but I can open up to any of the episodes and read one section again at any given time.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Shiloh has deep sentimental connections with me, so i bust it out every few months

Of Mice and Men is good for a yearly read as well

Forrest Gump is dusted off every summer as well

Guest The Last Free Voice

Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Just a fantasitc story, incredibly well writen, and is just a great read.

The Princess Bride. Yes, the book

Anything by Neil Gaiman. Especially Good Omens.

Guest cellardoor

Anything and everything by Chuck Palahniuk. Especially Survivor. My absolute favorite book. Ever.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. What a great read.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I know, I know. How emo of me.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett. Simply brilliant. My Spanish teacher ended up borrowing it from me. He loved it.

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. The guy cracks me up. So funny.

I'm currently reading Catch 22 since I've heard so many good things about it.

Guest The Last Free Voice

Good Omens is the only Neil Gaiman novel I haven't read. I think I should go buy it now...

Guest Reservoir_Kitty

I can read all of Palaniuk's books over and over again. I've read "The Stand" numerous times, even though I have the super-long uncut edition.. it's too good, I always find myself lingering at that section of the bookshelf. "The Green Mile" is another favorite of mine.

Actually, I think I could read ALL of my books over and over again. I love to read.

The Princess Bride. Yes, the book

So true. You're my new favorite poster.

I can read anything funny over and over, like Have a Nice Day, If Chins Could Kill, and MASH. Classic-wise, I love The Great Gatsby.

Starship Troopers

How the fuck did I forget that? I love that fucking book.

"Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me King of Kings; I can "pursue happiness" as long as my brain lives, but neither Gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can ensure that I will catch it."

Guest cellardoor
Good Omens is the only Neil Gaiman novel I haven't read. I think I should go buy it now...

You should definitely pick it up. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I also started Underworld by Don DeLillo. I just haven't been able to motivate myself enough to read lately. My attention span is suffering.

The Neuromancer trilogy,

Snow Crash and the Diamond Age (which has the best first 2/3rds and most blah ending ever)

Shakespeare esp. Richard III and the comedies

George RR Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series (here's hoping it ends well.

Candle Bay by Tamara Thorne.

The Shining by Stephen King.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

Those 3 are currently the books that I've read a good 6 times or more w/Candle Bay likely around the 10-15 mark. Damn, just writing that title down makes me want to read it again.

Crimson: Speaker for the dead was mediocre, Xenocide was BAD. Didn't read past that. Ender's game is for sure the shit though.

Not by choice, but I've had to read Wheel of Time several times because I STARTED READING IT WHEN I WAS 12. I'm now 24.

So like every time I try to read it, I think to myself: what the hell is going on? Every time I read it, I weep at how good the first 3 were, and get stuck on number 6, since it sucks so much balls. The books have become the main character having boring conversations with himself while half the book is girls changing their clothes from ho-garb to ball gowns in dream world. Feel the excitement!

I refuse to even start reading The Wheel of Time series until Jordan finishes it.

Which looks like it's going to be quite some time yet.

Speaking of fantasy books that I keep rereading: The LOTR trilogy (of course), but I also dearly love Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books.

Oh, and to whomever mentioned the original Dragonlance trilogy, I concur. There were rumors that the trilogy will be adapted for film, and in the wake of seeing what Jackson did with LOTR, I hope that those films do happen, because I think technology is at a level now where such films could be made, and made right.

Guest frowned

Anything by Orson Scott Card, particularly the original Ender novel (although I happen to be a fan of pretty everything that is the Enderverse) and the Alvin Maker series. Pastwatch should also get a special mention.

To add to the already mentioned Lord of the Rings and Starship Troopers, I add the following...

- Dune by Frank Herbert.

- The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

- The Chronicles of Amber (especially the first 5 books, more particuarly, Nine Princes in Amber) by Roger Zelazny

- The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist.

at some point I might pick up the other Ender books, but I'm just afraid they are going to ruin the greatness that is Ender's Game.

Speaker for the Dead is good, Xenocide is alright and Children of the Mind is worse. They just get into a lot more talking and thinking and stuff - it's still interesting, I think, but not in the same way.

You'd be better off to read Ender's Shadow. It's Ender's Game, re-told from Bean's perspective, if you were not aware.