TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Top grossing tours of the year so far...

Top-grossing tours of 2004, according to Billboard:

01. DAVID BOWIE ($45.4 million)

02. BETTE MIDLER ($40 million)

03. SIMON & GARFUNKEL ($36 million)

04. SHANIA TWAIN ($34 million)

05. PRINCE ($26 million)

06. ROD STEWART ($25 million)

07. METALLICA ($22 million)

I had no idea that Bette Midler drew that kind of money.

UYI

Guest tangerine

There are alot of gay people.

Never ever underestimate the Gay demographic

The Rose? From A Distance? Beast Of Burden? I should probably stop there, lest any credibility I had in terms of music taste goes flying out the window when my comprehensive knowledge of Bette Midler songs is discovered.

Guest Hybrid420

It's sad that those performers pull in that much money but a tour like Lollapalooza gets cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

Wow Bowie is #1. I'm surprised, I knew he would be in the top ten range but not #1. The only two acts on that list I would see are Bowie and Prince (I actually do have tickets for Prince). Anyone know how the Van Halen reunion is doing? I heard that some arenas aren't even sold out. Shows Eddie, that nobody really wants to see Van Hagar. I also heard that some of the KISS/Poison shows are getting cancelled due to poor ticket sales. I was really excited when I heard the Darkness might be added to the bill as an opening act, but alas some unknown band got the opening act gig.

Guest krazykat72

Bowie put on a hell of a show when I saw him at PNC Bank Arts Center on the last stop of his North American Tour. It was a long and diverse setlist (not from show to show) but from style to style.

-Paul Jacobi-

Here's the full top ten.

01. DAVID BOWIE ($45.4 million)

02. BETTE MIDLER ($40 million)

03. SIMON & GARFUNKEL ($36 million)

04. SHANIA TWAIN ($34 million)

05. PRINCE ($26 million)

06. ROD STEWART ($25 million)

07. METALLICA/GODSMACK ($22 million)

08. BEYONCE/ALICIA KEYS/MISSY ELLIOTT ($19 million)

09. BRITNEY SPEARS ($19 million)

10. GEORGE STRAIT ($16 million)

Isn't Madonna playing sold out shows for $300 a ticket? Hard to believe she isn't in the top ten.

Or just say Axl Rose is an over rated performer.

But then you offend me as well. And I'm the most beloved poster of all.

I think the real matter is who in the blue hell is still going to see David Bowie?

Maybe, you know, no-one cares about Madonna anymore. It's a shame anybody cared in the first place.

Oh, them's fighting words. Like A Prayer > Appetite For Destruction.

I think the real matter is who in the blue hell is still going to see David Bowie?

Well, I did. One of the best concert experiences ever too. You can't understand why people would still go to see Bowie, yet you worship Axl? Hypocrite.

Maybe, you know, no-one cares about Madonna anymore. It's a shame anybody cared in the first place.

Oh, them's fighting words. Like A Prayer > Appetite For Destruction.

Well, I did. One of the best concert experiences ever too. You can't understand why people would still go to see Bowie, yet you worship Axl? Hypocrite.

Like A Prayer better then Appetite? Well, I gotta question your sexual orientation now...........

And Axl is an unquestionale live performer when he shows up. Bowie has to resort to characters to stay interesting...........and to call him interesting it quite a stretch.

Like A Prayer better then Appetite? Well, I gotta question your sexual orientation now...........

And Axl is an unquestionale live performer when he shows up. Bowie has to resort to characters to stay interesting...........and to call him interesting it quite a stretch.

Bah. Like A Prayer was a mature musical endeavour for Madonna and showed why she was to become the greatest female pop singer of all time. The diversity shown from the gospel-ish title track to the anthemic Express Yourself, the boppy Cherish, the mournful Oh Father and the Prince duet Love Song far surpasses the footnote in rock history that is Appetite. While it has many great songs (incidentally making it Guns N Roses' only worthwhile album), it lacks the heart and intelligence in Madonna's album.

And yeah, Bowie's dull. Hence why he is the #1 touring artist of this year 35 years after appearing on the scene. Axl is far more interesting, as shown by the fact that 16 years after he first appeared on the scene, only a handful of die-hard fans are awaiting with baited breath for his next release which will surely come out soon, and may even reach the same quality level as The Spaghetti Incident.

far surpasses the footnote in rock history that is Appetite. While it has many great songs (incidentally making it Guns N Roses' only worthwhile album),

Yeah, real intelligent comment. While Appetite may be the best album.........

GNR LIES:

Patience, One In A Million

USE YOUR ILLUSION 1:

Don't Cry, November Rain, The Garden, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, Coma

USE YOUR ILLUSION 2:

Civil War, Yesterdays, Breakdown, Locomotive, Estranged, You Could Be Mine

True "The Spaghetti Incident" wasn't spectacular, but then it wasn't meant to be. It was just an album of thrown together cover songs.

Don't try and reason with the idiot. I don't know how many times the issue of 'popularity often doesn't have any form of relationship with TALENT' needs to be raised in this folder before people get it into their skulls.

As for Axl's cult of die-hards, their Greatest Hits album sold exceptionally well - with little to no promotion at all and for an album that Axl himself didn't want released. There is clearly still an audience for Guns N' Roses, and a substantial one at that.

UYI