TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

"Dames Goes To Driving School"

So, I've finally signed up for driving school.

I know what you guys must be thinking. "What the hell took Dames so long to learn how to drive?"

Well, this is why.

The first 3 months that I came up to CT, I was staying on my friend's leather couch (cool to sit on...not to sleep on), trying to save up to move out and get my own place. It turns out that they wanted first month's rent, last month's rent AND a security deposit...which is a months rent plus a hundred bucks. So I'm looking at 3 times my rent bill AT LEAST just to get into the place!

Anyway, I moved out and at that point I started looking for a driving school. Don't get me wrong...I would have accepted lessons from friends, but those who offered only had cars with stick shifts. Learning how to go straight without freaking out is enough for me. Once I get driving down, I'll see if I can learn stick.

Back to the story at hand...

I searched the phone books, I took people's recommendations and looked online and I could NOT find a driving school in my area that was willing to pick me up from my apartment for the driving lessons. How the hell was I supposed to get lessons then? Finally, I found this little rinky dink place nearby and I called them. They agreed to pick me up and they told me that they require a down payment on the lessons.

So, I waited some more til I had the money...and I went to the office to sign up today. Since it's the summer time, the instructors are BOOKED because all of the 16 year old brats who are out of school are taking up all the time. So, I set up my lessons in advance. Starting September 7th through the 11th (I'm taking 1 and a half hour lessons for 4 days and a 2 hour lesson to cap it off).

So those of you in Hartford County, commuters on I-84, I-95, I-91, I-87....beware.

The Dames will be on the road soon.

Dames

Guest Gathering Moss

Good luck, you are a good guy and I hope you learn to drive real soon!

Can't you just teach yourself to drive? Seriously, driving with other people only made me nervous and more likely to make mistakes. I learned the most when I was by myself. If I had to do it all again, instead of having people teach me I would've just found an empty parking lot or a road nobody used and practiced around there.

Definitely learn to drive a stick. I actually learned to drive on a car that had a stick, so I've always preferred them, to the point where I refuse to drive anything with an automatic in it.

The first 3 months that I came up to CT, I was staying on my friend's leather couch (cool to sit on...not to sleep on), trying to save up to move out and get my own place. It turns out that they wanted first month's rent, last month's rent AND a security deposit...which is a months rent plus a hundred bucks. So I'm looking at 3 times my rent bill AT LEAST just to get into the place!

What kind of friend does that to somebody?

What up dawg?

I agree with Tom -- learn to drive a stick. Perhaps not now, but do it soon thereafter. I learned as a kid, and my first car was manual. I'll never drive another stick-shift again, but there may come a time when you'll need to drive a manual vehicle.

And I was in CT a few weeks ago, and man are those drivers assholes -- you have been warned...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I hate driving a stick, but I can do it if I have to.

This whole not learning to drive until one's 20's BAFFLES me, as I've known how to pilot a vehicle since I was 14, and could drive a tractor at 12. Then again, if I grew up around subways and taxis instead of miles of empty chip and seal road in every direction, that'd be different.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

There is no reason not to stick your head out of your window at some point and scream "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!" before plowing over someone's dog or something.

Guest Dids
Definitely learn to drive a stick. I actually learned to drive on a car that had a stick, so I've always preferred them, to the point where I refuse to drive anything with an automatic in it.

You live in a big city?

I used to think like that, but stop and go driving changed my mind.

You live in a big city?

I used to think like that, but stop and go driving changed my mind.

Nope, suburbs. I've done my share of stop-and-go driving over the years, and while it's annoying no matter what you drive, it doesn't annoy me that much more with a manual. Certainly not enough to get me to even consider being enough of an automotive philistine to get an automatic...

The first 3 months that I came up to CT, I was staying on my friend's leather couch (cool to sit on...not to sleep on), trying to save up to move out and get my own place.  It turns out that they wanted first month's rent, last month's rent AND a security deposit...which is a months rent plus a hundred bucks.  So I'm looking at 3 times my rent bill AT LEAST just to get into the place!

What kind of friend does that to somebody?

My bad...I completely wrote that part wrong. The place I was looking to move into is what charged me all that money...

Sorry!

Dames

You saw Titanic three times?

I don't know how anyone found that...but I want to delete that fucking site. It's just plain ol' embarrasin'!

Dames

And I was in CT a few weeks ago, and man are those drivers assholes -- you have been warned...

We are nowhere as bad as Jersey drivers. Ugh, I can't stand them on the road.