TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Late night talk show shakeup coming..

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Craig Kilborn has decided to quit CBS' "Late Late Show" after five seasons, leaving the network to find a new host for the hour that follows "Late Show with David Letterman."

"It was easily the greatest job I've had, and CBS was very generous in their offer to re-sign me," Kilborn told Daily Variety. "But I simply want to try something new. I can now focus on writing and producing different television projects I haven't had time for."

Not one to pass up a gag, Kilborn added: "And this is cool: I will continue to wear makeup in my everyday life."

Kilborn had drawn solid ratings for CBS since he took the time slot over from Tom Snyder. Since 1999, the audience had grown 34 percent to this season's average of 1.7 million viewers.

He likely will wrap up his tenure by within a month, according to a source close to the production, Variety reported Friday. The program is produced by Letterman's company, Worldwide Pants.

CBS, which learned of Kilborn's decision Thursday, had no comment on his replacement, a CBS spokesman said Friday.

There was immediate speculation that Conan O'Brien, whose contract with NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" has more than a year to run, might be a candidate — if he could eventually could end up with Letterman's job.

Industry speculation has it that Letterman is likely to exit late-night TV before Leno does.

Kilborn was the original host of Comedy Central's "Daily Show" and had a role in the 2003 film "Old School."

If CBS wants Conan, what would they do for a year while he's still under contract with NBC? And if they don't want him, who would they get to take over the show?

I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head..

I think Conan would rather jump up an hour than take yet another 12:30 show, which would be more of a lateral move than anything else (unless they do it to groom Conan as the heir to Letterman's throne, then that's another story).

I also can't really think of someone else who would be a good replacement. Jon Stewart, since CBS already took one Daily Show host?

I believe Conan just signed a long term extension with NBC this past year.

As for Jon Stewart would the Late Late Show really be any higher profile than the Daily Show beyond being on a network? You can at least see the Daily Show at a some what reasonable hour and the show has a huge following.

Jon Stewart comes to mind.

It only natural for Jon Stewart to be get called up from the minors to work the major network. :cheers:

some of the candidates that I can think of are:

Mo Rocca

Steve Carrell

Will Ferrell

Bill Mahr

Jimmy Kimmel

Dave Chapelle

Chris Rock

Arsenio Hall

Charlie Murphy

Jay Mohr

Carson of the late late late late late night 3:00 AM show

Should be interesting to see what happens. I wonder if Stewart even wants to leave the Daily Show. He's already getting pretty good money with the Daily Show and he seems to enjoy it. He gets chances to do different things with the Daily Show than he would with the Late Late Show.

I believe Conan just signed a long term extension with NBC this past year.

As for Jon Stewart would the Late Late Show really be any higher profile than the Daily Show beyond being on a network? You can at least see the Daily Show at a some what reasonable hour and the show has a huge following.

His contract runs through 2005. Leno's the one who signed the long-term contract.

And I think Stewart is doing The Daily Show through 2006...

Guest El Satanico

CBS would probably have to offer Stewart a substantial raise for him to give up the security and exposure of Daily Show.

How many Emmy's has Stewart won by now? I believe he will leave after his contract ends, to pursue other things.

And I could care less about Kilborn leaving, he seems like a big herb to me. Even though his part in Old School was hysterical.

I can't imagine Stewart leaving, he's set pretty well at the Daily Show.

It might not be that bad a move for Conan considering that Letterman probably doesn't have too much time on the air left and Conan could move into his timeslot when he leaves, however on the other hand CBS seems like more of a "Traditional" network and I don't know if Conan would be able to do a lot of the stuff he does now.

The best candidates I can think of are Jimmy Kimmell or Carson Daly, I don't see why the hell anyone thinks Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, Will Ferrell or any really big name like that would do it.

Chapelle just signed on for another two years and loathes the big three networks so there's zero chance of him showing up. Just as well for him, it wouldn't be the same Dave Chapelle if he was censored.

Carson Daly sucks, how can you be a late show host and not even be remotely funny?

I don't think Chris Rock would turn it down, but his show would be too raw for CBS.

You know who would be great? Micheal Essany, you know, from the Micheal Essany show from E!. Still mad they canceled that show.

I think DL Hughley could pull it off, him or Steve Harvey would be a good choice.

Guest bort

I think they should just take one of Daily shows segment guys, Steven Colbert hosted the show not that long ago for a night and did a pretty damm good job, Steve Carrell is always great.

Fuck Kilborn -- good riddance.

:) Agreed.

So as far as I'm concerned, any half-decent replacement will be acceptable. However, if Stewart took it I'd at least be able to see the show.

I'd like to see Carrell get it, but isn't he starting a movie career now, as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther remake?

Fuck Kilborn -- good riddance.

:) Agreed.

So as far as I'm concerned, any half-decent replacement will be acceptable. However, if Stewart took it I'd at least be able to see the show.

I'd like to see Carrell get it, but isn't he starting a movie career now, as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther remake?

Steve Martian is in the Pink Panther, Steve Carrell is in Get Smart.

I want to see the whole cast of Anchorman to replace the Craigers Late Show.

As if I care this waste is leaving.

Someone mentioned Jay Mohr as a replacement, however, and that idea intrigues me.

Guest El Satanico

Maybe Wayne Brady...older white folk love him and use him as their "see i'm not racist" card.