TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

I couldn't disagree more. He's not a dick to anyone but Charlie, and that - in my opinion, and as I already said - is because it's more personal with Charlie. Locke still treats everyone else the same way he always has.

True, but the question is still - why? I have to think that Locke has an agenda that partially involves Claire and Aaron, and he can't do anything about it with Charlie around. Playing "hit the Hobbit" with Charlie's face almost seemed like he was protecting his property - there was really no need for it, so what game is John playing here?

Because no one else has looked him in the eye and lied to him. He treats others as they treat him; he's nicer to Hurley or Michael than he is to Sawyer, for example, but Sawyer isn't that nice to him. Charlie's the only one that told him that he wasn't using and that all of the statues were destroyed ... and yet Locke found him holding bags of H and with a cache of statues. While it's not proof that he's using, it's proof that he's thinking about it AND proof that he blatantly lied.

He was a dick to Charlie because Charlie was acting like a fucking fool. Kidnapping babies at night, just because a dream told him to? What sort of idiocy is that.

Just remember that they're also punching numbers into a computer because they were told that they have to. I don't think it's just Charlie that's an idiot.

I can see Locke stealing the baby, giving it to the others as leverage or whatever, blaming Charlie and planting the drugs on him as proof that he's using, so while people are out hunting Charlie, Locke makes whatever move he's planning to make. Maybe Locke just wants to get close to the Others to find out more about the Island. Locke telling Claire a false story of Baptism which basically says "Don't do it", Locke is Mr. "Who are we to tell anyone how to live" in one episode and is Mr. "I'm making the choice for you" in the next, he punches Charlie, beats Charlie down, and is getting closer to the baby after the meeting with The Others.

I liked the episode more than I thought I would, I like Charlies backstory and they sorta portrayed him as this tragic character who tries to do the right thing, who is undyingly loyal, and who continually gets betrayed and stepped on. Hurleys scene with the blonde chick was kinda creepy. We need more Jack/Ana Lucia moments. For anyone wanting to see more Army stuff, WHAT SHOW ARE YOU WATCHING.

Whenever something like that happens, you should know they are not going to get into it in the next episode. It's what this show does. I like it because they are showing restraint and are pacing themselves out and I don't mind waiting, but I can see how others can get pissed off about getting jerked around like that. However, to expect them to continue along on that thread immediately after is a pretty dumb thing to expect if you've been watching this show through its entirety.

Locke definitely has his own agenda.

The way he is playing Claire against Charlie is exactly the way he manipulated Boone by using his relationship with Shannon.

The statues might be being kept as insurance incase Charlie acts up. My sister thinks Locke is keeping all the things that have created sin on the island (guns, drugs, etc.) sort of like a reverse Pandora's Box. I can also see the argument that Locke is hoarding all those things to give himself power and become the de-facto leader when the inevitable Locke-Jack showdown happens.

Also, at the end of the show, Locke tinkered with something in the Hatch, he appeared to disable the lock or the door to the gun room where he stored the statues. He's definitely scheming

RRR, since I'm one of the ones that was disappointed by the lack of "Army stuff", I'll address what you said.

I wasn't expecting the entire episode to be about them gearing up for war, or learning to shoot or rigging booby-traps and trip-wires. I was, however, expecting at least a scene with AL asking Jack, "Are you sure that this is something you want to do?" instead of a "You hittin' that?" conversation about Kate. They had such good momentum after that line a week ago; to not capitalize on that momentum at all seemed dumb to me, and detracted from the impact of the question.

They did a better job of using the previous week's momentum last year than they are this year, IMHO.

I don't totally mind the lack of Army stuff, chronologically it could have been that same day when Jack & Ana-Lucia were talking, and the last episode happened in a span of a day or two.

I did like the flashback about Charlie. And you know there has to be one more, (his final descent, after losing his family, leading him to his brother in Sydney, which we only got a small glimpse of).

Locke is definitely up to something. Keeping the statues is definetely leverage to keep Charlie as a pawn and looked down upon by the rest of the survivors. And from the trailers he obviously has full control of the arsenal.

The trailer for the (next couple episodes?) looks pretty badass, from AL telling Jack how they don't have any fear to Sun (apparently) being kidnapped. I can't wait to see Jin going ballistic.

Also, at the end of the show, Locke tinkered with something in the Hatch, he appeared to disable the lock or the door to the gun room where he stored the statues. He's definitely scheming

Looks like he was changing the combination on the lock to the safe.

Charlie told Locke that the statues were "the island testing him." I think he stashed the statues instead of destroying them because of this. He has always been hung up on not messing with the island, that everything it does is for a reason.

Has anyone seen a reason why ABC decided to air a repeat next week. (according to tv guide it is Hurley's first backstory episode.)

I think the reason why some of you guys think this season sucks compared to last was mentioned before by someone. This number of episodes this season has been increased compared to last season and what the writers were prepared for, so thats probably why there is slower plot progression. If the number of episodes stayed the same, the pace would then probably be faster and more exciting. I, however, am so addicted to this show now that I'll watch any "filler episode" that they throw at me and still love it.

I couldn't disagree more. He's not a dick to anyone but Charlie, and that - in my opinion, and as I already said - is because it's more personal with Charlie. Locke still treats everyone else the same way he always has.

True, but the question is still - why? I have to think that Locke has an agenda that partially involves Claire and Aaron, and he can't do anything about it with Charlie around. Playing "hit the Hobbit" with Charlie's face almost seemed like he was protecting his property - there was really no need for it, so what game is John playing here?

Because no one else has looked him in the eye and lied to him. He treats others as they treat him; he's nicer to Hurley or Michael than he is to Sawyer, for example, but Sawyer isn't that nice to him. Charlie's the only one that told him that he wasn't using and that all of the statues were destroyed ... and yet Locke found him holding bags of H and with a cache of statues. While it's not proof that he's using, it's proof that he's thinking about it AND proof that he blatantly lied.

Go back and watch the first season. In Locke's life, he was emotionally vulnerable and had a hard time moving on. He lied about going and visiting his dad's house (even though it was hurting him and accomplishing nothing), the same way that Charlie lied about having the statues (which he apparently is not actually using from). Now instead of being sympathetic or trying to help Charlie move on, he's just condemning him and openly ripping him up the back to the other survivors. At least he didn't tell Claire about the statues; if he'd done that, he'd be past the point of no return.

Also, Locke's whole credo on the island was that everyone has a path and you need to let them get there themselves. Now Locke's completely dismissing Charlie's psychic visions (which Locke himself had the first season and was trying to convince everyone to follow, even sending Boone to his death), and then he's trying to make Charlie's decisions for him. The first season, Locke actually offered Charlie the heroin and allowed him to take it when he requested it the third time. Now, for no particular reason, he's decided that he's dictator of the island, and he'll control everybody.

It's not that the heel turn or character change doesn't make sense, it's that Locke's character was so good in his role that no one wants to see it change this fast. I detest using wrestling analogies for television shows, but it's basically like if Austin just took McMahon's offers to become corporate in 1998. I mean sure it would "make sense" that Austin didn't care about anybody and would be happy to just do what was best for himself and take the money, but it would turn off all the fans who loved his character.

I'd take issue with the "first he let Charlie decide but now he's deciding for him" thing too, if not for the fact that Locke out-and-out brought up what happened in The Moth. Locke changed his mind for a reason

Go back and watch the first season. In Locke's life, he was emotionally vulnerable and had a hard time moving on. He lied about going and visiting his dad's house (even though it was hurting him and accomplishing nothing), the same way that Charlie lied about having the statues (which he apparently is not actually using from). Now instead of being sympathetic or trying to help Charlie move on, he's just condemning him and openly ripping him up the back to the other survivors. At least he didn't tell Claire about the statues; if he'd done that, he'd be past the point of no return.

Also, Locke's whole credo on the island was that everyone has a path and you need to let them get there themselves. Now Locke's completely dismissing Charlie's psychic visions (which Locke himself had the first season and was trying to convince everyone to follow, even sending Boone to his death), and then he's trying to make Charlie's decisions for him. The first season, Locke actually offered Charlie the heroin and allowed him to take it when he requested it the third time. Now, for no particular reason, he's decided that he's dictator of the island, and he'll control everybody.

It's not that the heel turn or character change doesn't make sense, it's that Locke's character was so good in his role that no one wants to see it change this fast. I detest using wrestling analogies for television shows, but it's basically like if Austin just took McMahon's offers to become corporate in 1998. I mean sure it would "make sense" that Austin didn't care about anybody and would be happy to just do what was best for himself and take the money, but it would turn off all the fans who loved his character.

You could've said "I don't take well to change" and saved a lot of reading.

But remind me again of who else Locke tried to convince besides Boone? Oh, right. Nobody else.

Guest Brian

I thought hearing Preservation Society II in Charlie's apartment made things worth it.

But remind me again of who else Locke tried to convince besides Boone? Oh, right. Nobody else.

He gave both Jack and Hurley speeches on how they had to trust the island, and do what it wanted, even if meant believing in forces which they had no evidence for at all. Faith was a major theme for his discourse.

He did this in reference to opening the hatch as well as pressing the button.

I have been reflecting on this show since last night. While not as kick ass as the previous week's show, you have to consider that every show offers something, especially in foreshadowing or clues to something we do not know.

Libby is known to Hurley one of two ways in my mind. 1) she was in the mental facility as a worker or patient. I haven't realized why, but for some reason I think she is not a psychiatrist, but possibly has seen one regularly over the years. OR 2) she is someone that knows Hurley is worth a lot of money, and is trying to cozy up to him. Perhaps she worked at a company he bought, or she talked to him briefly before.

Charlie is on the fast track to becoming an Other, or a loner like Danielle. Charlie is now an outcast from the survivors, as they made a point to show everyone looking disappointed and turning away from him disgusted. Charlie will either go to the Others to try to find someone who will accept him, or will be living on his own away from the survivors, only to redeem himself by showing up for a heroic rescue.

Locke has not changed as much as you may think. You know why he allowed Charlie to make a choice in season 1? Because he wanted Charlie to make the decision he did. Don't you think he would have taken it out on Charlie if he had made the decision to keep doing the heroin? Well, Charlie chose what Locke thought was best for him, so he was proud of him. Now Charlie appeared to go back on that decision, which raised the ire of Locke.

"Also, Locke's whole credo on the island was that everyone has a path and you need to let them get there themselves. Now Locke's completely dismissing Charlie's psychic visions (which Locke himself had the first season and was trying to convince everyone to follow, even sending Boone to his death)"

Your point was that Locke tried to convince people to follow the visions. He did not. The only speech I can recall Locke giving to Hurley is in Everybody Hates Hugo when he told him that looking after the numbers was his job. When did he tell Jack he needed to trust the island?

Someone on the writing staff is a Star Wars fan. Sawyer calling Hurley Jabba last night, Sawyer calling Jin "Chewie" (ha! Sawyer = Star Wars nerd), and Michael using "this one goes here, that one goes there" when they were building the raft.

For me, it wasn't so much that I disliked the episode. I just thought it was boring, and consider it silly that they've turned Charlie into a completely pathetic character. Theres no way you can relate to him now. How can you laugh at someone who stole a baby?

I just hope they have a plan to redeem him later this season.

Guest guerillagenius

LOTC you have the greatest signature in the history of mankind. Well done.

Someone on the writing staff is a Star Wars fan. Sawyer calling Hurley Jabba last night, Sawyer calling Jin "Chewie" (ha! Sawyer = Star Wars nerd), and Michael using "this one goes here, that one goes there" when they were building the raft.

Lol, I noticed that too. The nicknames do sort of fit those characters though. I'm now waiting for someone to take this further and come up with a Star Wars related theory with the island.

Guest guerillagenius
I just finished Season Two and goddamn if that show isn't one of the best TV shows of this decade, perhaps ever. Stringer Bell is a gully motherfucker.

Download Season 3 it's the greatest season of television I've ever seen. The first season is awesome, the 2nd was good but not as good as 1, and 3 is incredible!

Lost Autographed Trading Cards

Looks like they hit just about every castmember (Ethan, Locke's mom, Jack's dad, Arztz). Predictably, the bigger cast members are selling for big bucks...$100+.

Just in case anyone wants to own a certified authentic autograph of their favorite Lost cast member.

So the next episode is from Season 1? Is the one the week after that bringing Danielle back, because otherwise its a pretty random choice of an episode.

Sign in to follow this