TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

I'm not going to go into details about it but has anybody here been to Lostpedia and checked out the dialogue from the Orchid orientation video? Reading that gives some serious insight into Ben's desert adventure from the last week.

Spoiler tag your replies if you have seen it as many won't want to know what's said.

Either way - give the writers some credit. I highly doubt they are going to even have any drama in regards to Jack's status. It's more likely a plot device to highlight something else.

Each commercial or web-based 'hype video' has been 75% Jack's appendix situation and 25% Claire/Aaron/Sawyer conversing with the chopper pilot. If they're NOT planning on making Jack's status dramatic, they've done a shitty job of advertising what tonight's episode is going to be about.

Well, they usually do a pretty shitty job of showing what's coming up. I think partly because they don't want to give anything away.

LOTC, could you spoiler tag an explination on the Orchid video info you were talking about? I'm missing something.

Part of me wants to say that LOST and Southland Tales (and to a lesser extent Back To The Future) seem to be running on similar wavelengths, with beings time traveling somehow and should they come into contact with each other...well, it'll be a terrible thing. Casimir Effect indeed. Note this is not the same as the "time travel" Desmond was going through

I didn't really care for this week's episode, but then again, it's coming off of last week's episode. Outside of seeing the beginning of Jack's addiction and his father's reappearance, this week had nothing.

Regarding next weeks preview...

Jacob?

I find that episodes that feature everyone (beach group, Team Locke, freighter people) usually end up being really good, and by the look of it, we'll be getting some good info next week... likely with fifty million more questions, however.

Seriously?

No, they are not dead.

Things we learned tonight:

1) Rousseau is definitely dead.

2) Miles isn't really so bad and he also isn't a quack.

3) Sawyer isn't dead. He's still on the island.

4) Kate is in danger. Jack is about to leave without her. He risks his life to go back to her, this making her one of the Oceanic Six afterall. That's pretty much directly stated in his little speech to Kate. Sawyer also apparently chose differently.

5) The flashforward, to the best of my knowledge took place around mid August 2006. That's the only Yankees sweep of the Red Sox I could find in the near future but I only skimmed. I may have missed something.

All of these dead people showing up has to be Jacob's influence.

LOTC, everything, I'm not seeing a connection between the video and Ben's trip to tunisia.

This episode seemed kind of heavy handed in the fact that they were trying to give the subtle foreshadowing more weight, like with Rose talking about the island, but I loved it. I still feel like everything's just as scattered as ever even though it's starting to get that vibe of things coming together. How crazy is Hurley, why do they keep doing stuff with Jack's father, I mean at this point we have to assume he's alive right?

And that can't be Jacob in the preview next week, we need a better reveal than him showing up in a preview. Definitely seems to just be getting crazier tho, which is a good thing.

For those who don't remember the dude in next week's preview is Horace Goodspeed aka the dude who stumbled upon Ben's birth with his wife. He "died" in the purge of Dharma as we knew it back then. I imagine that's The Orchid they're at with Ben.

In regards to the orientation video at Lostpedia it says that there's a Hanso Foundation centre in Norway that deals with some type of experimental shit and when I saw the video and figured that's how Ben could've arrived it made sense with him wearing the parka. Also, that "Halliwax" logo on it likely comes from Edgar Halliwax aka Asian dude from Dharma videos.

Oh, and forever and always unless it gets resolved otherwise Rosseau dying without getting a flashback will taint this show for me regardless of how great the next seasons are.

Season 5 is supposed to include a Rousseau flashback.

Regarding the Jack/Kate flash forward, from Lostpedia:

By virtue of the Yankees/Red Sox and Indians/Mariners scores in the newspaper article, only one date is viable for the publication of the paper: August 31, 2007. Article states Yankees finish their sweep of the Red Sox with winning pitcher Cheng Mei Wang beating Curt Schilling 5-0. The only occurrence of this game is the date above. Whether this is meant to be canon, or simply a production oversight, remains to be seen.

Can't say I cared for this episode so much, though Jack has always been my least favorite character. Had to chuckle at Juliet and Bernard being 'Doctors' operating on Jack, wonder if that was a little throwback reference to their characters on ER years ago. I know Juliet is a Doctor and Bernard a dentist, so that's the 'Lost' reason, but still funny.

However, ultimately, this episode offered nothing new, and just seemed to reaffirm things we already know. Seemed pointless over all.

I think Kate's favor to Sawyer is that she is helping out Cassidy and His daughter.

LOVED that the way Jack was summoned to his father (which I'm interpreting as the smoke monster coming to visit) was by a SMOKE detector. Cute, LOST writers, very cute.

another thing: Color me SHOCKED that they might have been referencing "Raised By Another." I thought immediately that Jack would be violating the psychic's vision that Aaron couldn't be raised by anyone other than Claire. It would seem that a blood relation doesn't cut it!

Season 5 is supposed to include a Rousseau flashback.

Regarding the Jack/Kate flash forward, from Lostpedia:

By virtue of the Yankees/Red Sox and Indians/Mariners scores in the newspaper article, only one date is viable for the publication of the paper: August 31, 2007. Article states Yankees finish their sweep of the Red Sox with winning pitcher Cheng Mei Wang beating Curt Schilling 5-0. The only occurrence of this game is the date above. Whether this is meant to be canon, or simply a production oversight, remains to be seen.

I edited Lostpedia to show why this is incorrect. The newspaper also says Angels 8 - Astros 4, but the Astros were playing the Cardinals over those dates.

I didn't put together the smoke detector going off and his dad being there, but at this point I think we have to assume his dad's alive, not being recreated by the smoke monster. I don't know it just seems like one too many appearances for a guy who's supposed to be dead.

And anyone else catch the subtle "yeah we know" from the writers in Kate telling Jack "if you don't make it" and him responding "shut up kate". Kind of seemed like there way of addressing the fact that we already knew Jack wasn't gonna die.

The rest of this season is gonna be pretty balls out from here on, and I think since we've already been told we're not getting answers about Jacob or the monster, it's gonna be intersting to see what role they play in the rest of the season.

I didn't put together the smoke detector going off and his dad being there, but at this point I think we have to assume his dad's alive, not being recreated by the smoke monster.

Christian Shephard is D-E-A-D.

Alright yeah got that, but that still doesn't make his 39473948 non-dead appearances just null and void. The guy's been shown interacting now, holding babies, communicating with dogs, clearly if he is dead his spirit has been doing a lot of "alive dude" stuff.

And, of all the people who are dead, he's the only one who's corpse still hasn't been found. Has everyone forgotten Jack finding his dad's empty coffin?

And anyone else catch the subtle "yeah we know" from the writers in Kate telling Jack "if you don't make it" and him responding "shut up kate". Kind of seemed like there way of addressing the fact that we already knew Jack wasn't gonna die.
Either it's a subtle way of addressing that fact, or it's the same bullshit, heavy-handed "Jack's the tough alpha male" crap that they've forced upon us for the past few seasons.

Alright yeah got that, but that still doesn't make his 39473948 non-dead appearances just null and void. The guy's been shown interacting now, holding babies, communicating with dogs, clearly if he is dead his spirit has been doing a lot of "alive dude" stuff.

And, of all the people who are dead, he's the only one who's corpse still hasn't been found. Has everyone forgotten Jack finding his dad's empty coffin?

In your theory, was Jack's father never dead, or did he come back to life upon crashing on the island? Because I think even Australia confirms if someone's dead before notifying their next-of-kin that they need to claim a body and bring it back to the States.

Clearly it has something to do with the Island. I'm not saying he never died, just at this point, between the coffin being empty and what he's done in his appearances, I just don't see how he's supposed to be a hallucination (at this point of numerous people, Claire, Jack, Miles, Hurley) or some sort of Island manifestation.

I wasn't blown away by this episode but following up on last weeks was a tall order so I wasn't expecting it to be on the same level. Some notes we can take away here....

- Hurley is getting visited by Charlie. Jack by his father. Wonder if we'll see the other members of the six getting some face time with old friends from the island?

- The fact that Sawyer CHOSE to stay is, to me, HUGE. Up until this point we've all been thinking various theories regarding who's left behind on the island and why they're there. I don't think many of us banked on them getting a choice as to why they should stay but next to Locke, Sawyer makes the most sense. Hell, he told Kate that he didn't want to go back.

- Miles is clearly there because of Jacob but obviously doesn't know enough about him yet otherwise he wouldn't have gone with Sawyer and Claire.

Anybody else think that when Kate told Jack that she was "doing something for him" that it was Ben?

That's definitely right where I went with it, I thought Sawyer at first when she was on the phone, but I was slightly hoping that future Lost is free of love triangles. :P

What I'm lost on now is, how did Hurley get released to go see Sun, why did he say "good" when no one else was there? To me Hurley's character is by far the most confusing.

I think Hurley visiting Sun was before he saw Charlie @ the 7-11 and got locked up. That, to me is what starts everything. Causes Jack to visit him and being to worry about whether Hurley will tell about what really happened on the island.

Sign in to follow this