TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

SF Anniversary Collection

Anyone pick it up today? Even though I already have Hyper SF II and the DC version of 3S I got it. Got the guide too.

I've only played Hyper. Seems identical to the JPN version, but with a save feature.

I got the Strat guide because of the Third Strike soundtrack included. However, I'm debating whether or not to actually buy the game. I just picked up Astro Boy for GBA and that is keeping me occupied. Plus I already have DC Third Strike, so I'd mainly be purchasing it for Hyper.

What's it cost?

30 dollars I think.

I just beat 3S. It is exactly like the DC one.

Actually it's nothing like the DC version. It's more like the arcade version, save for an Urien glitch with the Aegis.

Ok, well it has the same options, menus, secrets and extras as the DC port. It looks just like it. If the differences between arcade and DC are not a big deal to you then it's not really worth it.

For those who are wondering the Xbox verison of this has been delayed to Jan. due to putting Xbox live on it.

Is ths PS2 one 2 discs or one disc?

What about the upcoming X-Box version? Although...*imagines playing it with that controller*...it's not really that important to me.

PS2 is 2 discs and the Xbox will most likely be only one disc.

It wasn't at Best Buy or Circuit City yesterday. I guess I'll try to find it this weekend. I don't any version of 3S, so this is definitely a must buy for me.

Saying that the DC and PS2 versions are near identical is ignorance and blasphemy, and you should be beaten for saying so.

For one, the PS2 has kara cancel throws.

I'm debating on getting this, Def Jam: FFNY, or both. I'd rather just go with one, but I get on nostalgia kicks for the games I used to play back in high school, SFII being one of them.. but I also think that DJ:FFNY is going to kick some major ass.

God, why can't I be rich?! I WANNA BE RICH!!! :wacko:

I'm not too sure I'll pick up the SF Anniversary Collection. I hate playing fighting games on a PS2 controller, but I'm too stingy to plunk the money down for an arcade-style controller.

Though I did I scoop up one the leftover figurine bust sets of Ryu and Chun Li through one of my friends at GameCrazy. People got them for preordering the Anniversary Collection. They're like a bust except action figure sized. A nice little addition to the clutter in my bedroom.

I was looking for it the other day, and I could not find it. I was not happy because I need my SF II CE version of Sagat. I. Must. Play. Him.

I was surprised that my local Media Play did not have it on the 1st.... go figure..

I'm not too sure I'll pick up the SF Anniversary Collection. I hate playing fighting games on a PS2 controller, but I'm too stingy to plunk the money down for an arcade-style controller.

It certainly beats using a DC controller, however once you get used to the DC the left trigger works fine. And thankfully the PS controllers have two right triggers, so it's easy and intuitive to map the Jab/Short or Fierce/Roundhouse to those.

Are they planning to release those Saturn rip--er, special controllers for X-Box? That's the only way I'd get the X-Box version. I love my X-Box, but the controller feels very unnatural for fighters with the black/white buttons where they are.

The pads seem very redundant for the PS2, which are excellent controllers even for fighters (some say the diags are wonky on the PS controllers, but I've never had a problem with that), and both systems have sticks available but I'm even worse with a stick than I am with a pad.

Plus, when GGX2Reload comes out, it would be rockin' to be able to play with a Saturn-ish pad.

Also--to clear up an old rumor--did any version of SFII have Honda leaping out of the hot tub to fight? Or was I just imagining that? I could swear I saw it some time while playing the SF Collection 2. However, I never gave it any thought until a friend asked me about it. I do remember almost certainly that Bison seemed to have the Knee-Press Nightmare (w/ or w/o the slide I can't remember) in SFII.

Also--to clear up an old rumor--did any version of SFII have Honda leaping out of the hot tub to fight? Or was I just imagining that? I could swear I saw it some time while playing the SF Collection 2.

I'm certain that this is a rumor. I'm almost certain that it was started by GamePro, who, if I remember correctly ran an altered picture of E. Honda jumping into the hot tub in addition to a fake Sheng Long pic in the heyday of that rumor.

Honda never leaps into or out of the hot tub.

The CPU Bison can do two knee presses in a row, so I guess that's sort of the knee press nightmare. No shadows or anytrhing though.

I bought the game today for absolutely no reason. I went to EB with the intent to buy Day of Reckoning, which I did, but evidentally I'm some sort of mark for Capcom Anniversary Collection games, since I picked it right up off the shelf and bought it as well. That's what happens when you work extra hours and assume you have money to spend, I guess.

I think the actual closer on the deal was the "INCLUDED SFII ANIMATED MOVIE!" notice, but I have no idea why. I have the 'unrated' one on VHS from 1995, I figured this would be the (more) cut one, and after watching the Mega Man episode on the Collection and seeing all the compression they had to use, knew I wouldn't be getting anything of great quality... but what the hell, I guess. I've been too occupied watching the last volume of Futurama on DVD (Props to Maurice LeMarche for going into his Egon Spengler and Brain characters in the commentaries, albiet briefly) to play it much, but I imagine it will just be a game I bring to people's house to play for a bit.

I rented it. I had some odd problem with everything being too dark (don't know if it was the TV or PS2), but on the next play everything was fine. That happen to anyone else?

(On Hyper SFII)

It's very cool to see the old characters have their original voices, sfxs, and portraits. Although it seems the endings are all the ST endings, regardless of which version you pick.

There also doesn't seem to be a stage select for versus mode. The hell?

You're stuck with the lame Super announcer, with no option to use the old SFII announcer. Odd, since the only problem I'd see with that is that they wouldn't have the announcements of "Cammy wins" in the older announcer voice--but they could just have the Super announcer still do that.

CPS I, II, or Arranged--glad to see it. I personally prefer CPSII, but Arranged is okay, and CPS I adds a lot of old-school flavor.

In arcade mode, you can only fight against Super Turbo opponents. Too bad. Although they probably assume people are going to be into it more for 2P battles anyway (in which case--why no stage select?).

I jonesed so hard for this game I bought it over the weekend when I was out of town, even though there was no PS2 to play it on.

When I got home, I played it for a few minutes, and promptly remembered why I hate PS controllers for fighting games... I set it on medium level and got waxed in short order, showing just how rusty I am.... but thats okay, I will get back into fighting shape in short order....

By the way, is anyone curious abotu the Street Fighter RPG? I know that I am....

I guess it isn't just me that seems to think the D-pad is more teh suk for this game than usual? I can play the Alpha's quite fine, even pulling off the Somersault Justice with relative ease, but at times I'm having trouble with more basic motions.

It's a ploy to sell those damn controllers, I just know it!

Oh, and I know they're missing because Hyper is a glorified hack of Super Turbo, but why didn't they put back in the Bonus Stages? They had an expanded set of Bonus Stage challenges in the GBA Turbo Revival, but they couldn't leave them in here? If you're going to do nostalgia, Capcom, don't half-ass it. (/Picky Fanboy Ranting)

I guess it isn't just me that seems to think the D-pad is more teh suk for this game than usual? I can play the Alpha's quite fine, even pulling off the Somersault Justice with relative ease, but at times I'm having trouble with more basic motions.

It's a ploy to sell those damn controllers, I just know it!

Oh, and I know they're missing because Hyper is a glorified hack of Super Turbo, but why didn't they put back in the Bonus Stages? They had an expanded set of Bonus Stage challenges in the GBA Turbo Revival, but they couldn't leave them in here? If you're going to do nostalgia, Capcom, don't half-ass it. (/Picky Fanboy Ranting)

I have to agree. When pushed to it, I could play the Alphas with a Sony pad, though I had a better one just for that.

I have an EA controller that I got for Baldur's Gate II, so I will use that and see if that helps.

I would play right now, but I think I need sleep more than anything else. Film at 11.

And thats what I respect about you, Andrew, that you'll call yourself out for something like that little rant on Capcom.

I have to agree. When pushed to it, I could play the Alphas with a Sony pad, though I had a better one just for that.

I have an EA controller that I got for Baldur's Gate II, so I will use that and see if that helps.

Since I'm personally holding out for the X-Box version, at least until any special features are announced (X-Box Live doesn't matter to me), and hopefully they'll make a version of that special controller for X-Box.

BTW, if you're planning on getting that Game Elements (by Gemini) PS2 to GC/X-Box converter, don't. It was a decent price (12 bucks or so up Wal-Mart--half what it was up EB), but I tried it out and it sucks. On Metal Slug 3 I was eaten alive since it wasn't registering quick button taps.

And thats what I respect about you, Andrew, that you'll call yourself out for something like that little rant on Capcom.

I do? Heh, well thanks.

It seems odd that they'd omit stuff that would be very easy to implement, and yet squashed that movie onto the one DVD. However, I don't want to sound like all those GameFAQs posters who were complaining about the KOF 2000/2001 collection since they cut out Whip's gun move, Mai's bouncing boobies, and the blood. Obviously they wanted to get it available for a Teen rating in that case. However, in this case it seems more of a symptom of Capcom not really putting too much effort anymore into the 2D fighters, and that's a shame. Capcom Fighting Evolution is probably just going to be MvC2 with prettier graphics and a different roster. :P

However, at least we got the far better deal between us and Japan. For 30 bucks we got both of them, but for full retail price in Japan they sold the games separately (more than full price for the special editions with extra junk), and I think you couldn't reconfig your controller in Japan Hyper SFII. Plus, Japan got reamed with the Rockman Complete Works, and we got Mega Man Anniversary Collection. :) So thankfully SCEA's anti-2D bias has some upsides. Capcom can't pull a Nintendo with their classic re-releases now.

Maybe the SFII's were just less forgiving with specials, and it's more pronounced on a PS2 pad. Although if I get the X-Box version hopefully I can get a decent controller. What's up with those black and white buttons, anyway? They're awkward to use for any game, I've found.

I was looking for it the other day, and I could not find it. I was not happy because I need my SF II CE version of Sagat. I. Must. Play. Him.

Well, he's actually not the storongest version of Sagat, you know. :)

In Hyper, you can also play as the "Super" versions of the characters that were in SSF2T. In that game, they let you play as the SSF2 versions of characters, but those versions were sometimes a little different...

"Super" Sagat in ST is a beast. Fast, quick Tiger Shots, incredibly quick recovery (Bison leaped over a low tiger shot from full screen...right into a Tiger Uppercut. MUHAHAHAH!!), and double-hit close LK and MK.

To play as the ST "Super" versions of the character, hold start when you select "Super" on the mode select, then press any button to select that mode. Then pick the character (i.e. Sagat) as normally. You should have the Super SF2 Turbo logo--with the blue "Super" letters, instead of a Super meter. Those who didn't shell out for the strat guide may not know that.

Oh, and reminder--the Akuma Code:

Select SuperT mode, leave the cursor on the following characters for about two seconds...

Ryu, T-Hawk, Guile, Cammy, then put it back on Ryu. Press Start and all three punch buttons (if you have a 3P button set up, like L1, you can use that) simultaneously. You'll get the black silhouette and jet off to whoop some major ass.

Well, he's actually not the storongest version of Sagat, you know.

In Hyper, you can also play as the "Super" versions of the characters that were in SSF2T. In that game, they let you play as the SSF2 versions of characters, but those versions were sometimes a little different...

"Super" Sagat in ST is a beast. Fast, quick Tiger Shots, incredibly quick recovery (Bison leaped over a low tiger shot from full screen...right into a Tiger Uppercut. MUHAHAHAH!!), and double-hit close LK and MK.

To play as the ST "Super" versions of the character, hold start when you select "Super" on the mode select, then press any button to select that mode. Then pick the character (i.e. Sagat) as normally. You should have the Super SF2 Turbo logo--with the blue "Super" letters, instead of a Super meter. Those who didn't shell out for the strat guide may not know that.

Oh I know he's not, but that was for strictly nostalgic purposes, when I was learning how to use him in a defensive fighting style.

Thank for the code though.. and I still have to get used to playing with a PS 2 controller, the buttons on the EA controller I bought early in the year stick like hell, which is too bad, it feels more comfortable than a lot of controllers that I have tried. I refuse to buy MadCatz because as you, I, Ayanka and anyone else knows, they are dried-up pieces of dog crap that will break after about three months of moderate use.

Since I'm personally holding out for the X-Box version, at least until any special features are announced (X-Box Live doesn't matter to me), and hopefully they'll make a version of that special controller for X-Box.

BTW, if you're planning on getting that Game Elements (by Gemini) PS2 to GC/X-Box converter, don't. It was a decent price (12 bucks or so up Wal-Mart--half what it was up EB), but I tried it out and it sucks. On Metal Slug 3 I was eaten alive since it wasn't registering quick button taps.

I was actually thinking about getting the SF-specfic controller, but I think I will just look around on the net for something better, as I play a lot more games than just SF. Media Play had an interesting one made by Logitech, but 60 bucks is a little more than I am willing to spend on a PS2 controller.

Nuby makes the special SF controllers, and I've had good luck with those, fortunately. I have a ton of gawky, oversized, goofy looking Nuby DC pads I bought from a dollar store...but despite how they look, they feel great and work better than the default pads, IMO. So I think these will hold up.

However, I really regret selling my Hori 10B Playstation controller, which had the standard PS1 layout but with duplicate L1 and R1 buttons on the face, plus turbo, autofire, slo-mo. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

Joysticks aren't much of an option for me, since I just can't get used to them. I prefer wrapping my hand around a controller instead of holding a stick in my lap (wait, that came out wrong...)

However, I don't get why Sega went with a mere 6 button pad that had four face buttons and two triggers. It would have been no problem to tack on two more buttons. The NiGHTs controller would have made an excellent DC controller with minor tweaks.

It's interesting that the X-Box controller is the spiritual successor in design...save for those damn black and white buttons. However, playing CvS2 EO on the Box, it works well if you get used to it and the L and R buttons are easily accessible. At the very least it should be fine for GGX2R.

Oh, and can you believe there are folks on GameFAQs complaining that SFA3 is left out of the collection? Granted, another game in place of the hacked-up SFII OVA would be good...but...they should smack themselves for wanting *that* one. Alpha 2, sure, but Alpha 3? It sucks hard. The only good things to come out of it were Karin and a very rough version of the ISMs which were put to better use in CvS2.

By the way, anyone know where I can get me a copy of the US Street Fighter Collection for Saturn? I could easily find the imports on Ebay, but no US versions seem to be popping up. Although with this collection around maybe I'll be able to get one more easily and cheaper.

Why do you want SF Collection? And why for Saturn? If you want it, just get it for PSX.

Alpha 3 would be better than Alpha 2 just because 3 is the last game in the series. The collection should have been the definitive collection for the entire series with the final game of each. SF1, Alpha 3, Hyper II and 3rd Strike. It makes no sense for it to just be Hyper and 3rd Strike. Well, besides the fact that it's a bundle of two seperate Japanese releases.