TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Creative shakeups coming?

The word backstage is that Vince McMahon is now accepting that the WWE product, especially Smackdown, has many creative problems. This has everybody speculating that major creative team changes are coming.

Bruce Prichard, one of the main members of Smackdown's creative team, is on a hiatus and McMahon was said to not be too happy with his work prior to his departure.

Right now, Smackdown is basically being written by Dave Lagana, Vince McMahon, and Stephanie McMahon.

Some are hoping that Paul Heyman somehow returns to a major role in the creative department but realize that is is probably not likely due to how he and Vince McMahon clash over creative direction.

Credit: PWTorch.com

===============================================

I really don't see much changing until Vince realizes the product has sucked since Steph has started booking. Does anyone think these "shakeups" will make a difference? And is the SD creative team that much worse than RAW's? Kane/Lita, anyone?

They NEED Paul Heyman on creative on Smackdown! When he was writing Smackdown, Smackdown was GREAT! There hasn't been one single new break-out star on Smackdown since Heyman was demoted.

They NEED Paul Heyman on creative on Smackdown! When he was writing Smackdown, Smackdown was GREAT! There hasn't been one single new break-out star on Smackdown since Heyman was demoted.

Heyman is smart enough to know that pushing guys like Heidenreich who are WAAAY too green isn't the answer.

I'm all for pushing a big strong marketable guy...but he has to be at least SOMEWHAT credible in the ring.

Well, if Heyman was writing Smackdown, at least I'd have a feeling that he'd book Heidenreich in such a way to make him look good and hide his weaknesses (which to be honest, is just about everything).

Otherwise... we've got another Nathan Jones on our hands.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

I'd love it if they threw Cornette & Heyman in charge of SD!, just because they'd kill one another & make the show somewhat unique.

I'd love it if they threw Cornette & Heyman in charge of SD!, just because they'd kill one another & make the show somewhat unique.

I'd love if Russo was thrown in there too just to see which guy would survive the battles.

Guest suplexmasta

The world at large could not handle Cornette in complete control of SD.

Although, I'd sure as hell watch it, if only he could also dictate to the agents exactly what type of matches he would need to advance his storylines: SMW-style southern brawling.

I think that this style would also solve the problems of the last few years as far as injuries, as someone like Angle wouldn't have to take but two or three bumps per match.

Oh yeah, BRING BACK BOO! A nice feud over a valet's pussy never gets old.

Oh God, did I just say that?

Some are hoping that Paul Heyman somehow returns to a major role in the creative department but realize that is is probably not likely due to how he and Vince McMahon clash over creative direction.

Tranlation:

PWTorch.com is hoping that Paul Heyman somehow returns to a major role in the creative department but realize that is is probably not likely due to how he and Vince McMahon clash over creative direction.

Tranlation:

PWTorch.com is hoping that Paul Heyman somehow returns to a major role in the creative department but realize that is is probably not likely due to how he and Vince McMahon clash over creative direction.

Lol, exactly. Gotta love the Torch.

Guest Brian

They want Heyman because he's one of their sources.

Anyways, last time he was in charge he had six great wrestler going at each other. Now he doesn't have that luxury.

Bruce Prichard, one of the main members of Smackdown's creative team, is on a hiatus and McMahon was said to not be too happy with his work prior to his departure.

WOO! Best thing I read all day. :headbang:

I'm not so sure about Cornette. The last time he was head writer/booker business was not exactly on fire. I'm sure a lot of his ideas got shot down by Vince, but what he did was not exactly world breaking in 96/97. The last show he booked, the infamous "South Africa" Raw was so bad he was fired right after and Russo was promoted to head booker. And as Cornette said in his shoot interview, Vince and him have totally different viewpoints about what wrestling is and neither are willing to give an inch. It would be the same situation as Heyman. Vince has never worked well with promoters who prefer wrestling over entertainment, Watts for a cup of coffee in 95, Cornette in 96-97, and Heyman in 2002-2003. The one positive example I can think of was George Scott in the mid 80s. I believe that Scott was responsible for the booking of the Orndorff/Hogan feud that sold out the Big Event in Toronto and drew huge money nation wide. Scott was the one who convinced Vince that all that matters is the main event and the undercard is just filler. But since then, Vince has even gone further on the entertainment side, so I doubt he would ever hire a "wrestling booker", it would probably be just more Hollywood types.

This is so easy...to solve the creative problems...all they need is this format...

Creative Director(oversee both shows):

Chris Kreski....He is best suited for this position because he knows how to be organized.....and can plan way in advance(5 or 6 months).....when he was the creative director in 2000...he used a storyboard to keep track of angles and feuds. He does this for logic, pacing, and to assure that he didn't have any contradicting storylines or inconsistent interaction between wrestlers.

Writers:

RAW:

Head: Vince Russo or Eric Bischoff

Brian Gerwitz

Tony Blacha(worked with Kreski in 2000)

Shane McMahon

And another Hollywood writer.

Smackdown:

Head: Paul Heyman

Dave Lagana(current Smackdown writer)

Michael Seitz

Add two Hollywood writers.

Creative Editor of the creative team: Vince McMahon

Of course the only thing wrong with this format is...would Vince Russo or Eric Bischoff, and Paul Heyman put their egos aside and take orders from Chris Kreski.....since he would be the one putting the shows together and giving the final product to Vince McMahon....he would be McMahon's main man...and his source for information....meaning if Kreski doesn't like the idea the chances of it making to McMahon are slim....of course I think Kreski would be open to any ideas....

Steph is the big problem, not Pritchard.

And Vince isn't about to fire his daughter.

But hey...at least they've kept her off the actual shows! :)

Stephanie has more talent in her left nipple than all of the women in the Diva Search.

This is so easy...to solve the creative problems...all they need is this format...

Creative Director(oversee both shows):

Chris Kreski....He is best suited for this position because he knows how to be organized.....and can plan way in advance(5 or 6 months).....when he was the creative director in 2000...he used a storyboard to keep track of angles and feuds. He does this for logic, pacing, and to assure that he didn't have any contradicting storylines or inconsistent interaction between wrestlers.

Kreski, sadly wasn't even that good a writer. He was a competent writer who cared about planning and logic, though. That makes him leaps and bounds better than these rejects like Gerwitz and that (expletives deleted) Dunn.

Right now, Smackdown is basically being written by Dave Lagana, Vince McMahon, and Stephanie McMahon.

When Smackdown has IMPROVED minus Bruce but with Steph and Vince still there, that's pretty damn sad.

It's funny how blame is placed everywhere but on the writers, and Vince still continues to run with such a pathetic group of lazy, uncreative sacks of crap for so long. Still, I guess they're just coming up with stuff good ol' Vince will like...

Kreski, sadly wasn't even that good a writer. He was a competent writer who cared about planning and logic, though. That makes him leaps and bounds better than these rejects like Gerwitz and that (expletives deleted) Dunn.

He was more of a leader....which is why he fits the "creative director" role....but he also have some great writing skills as well...IMO....of course the numbers in 2000 speak for themselves... ;)

t's funny how blame is placed everywhere but on the writers, and Vince still continues to run with such a pathetic group of lazy, uncreative sacks of crap for so long. Still, I guess they're just coming up with stuff good ol' Vince will like...

Good point....

Writers are to blame as well....frankly they are the "source" of what goes on T.V....they are the brains...while everyone else figures out how to present it....but Steph still isn't excused...because she could have hired better writers...

Guest Loss

They should send their writers through OVW as well. But the problem isn't the writing, it's the actual booking. Vince McMahon decides who wins and loses and who turns and that sort of thing. The writers script promos. They get far too much blame.

They should send their writers through OVW as well. But the problem isn't the writing, it's the actual booking. Vince McMahon decides who wins and loses and who turns and that sort of thing. The writers script promos. They get far too much blame.

I think its the writers' fault too, to an extent. And also what Vince decides to do and not do. I mean, do you realize that both world title matches at Summerslam had literally NO buildup? Ooh, Orton wins a battle royal and gets a title shot. What a feud! And Taker chokeslams Bradshaw and gets a title shot. Hell, neither even had a video package before the match because they did nothing to build either match up. That's just pathetic.

I think they (the writers) spend too much time making Raw and Smackdown "entertainment shows" rather than "sporting events" - there's too much pointless scripting and, strangely enough, attention to detail, that they lose long-term focus and you get major logic-gaps happening. So every week they're writing like they're writing for a TV show rather than like they're writing for a wrestling show. The perspective is off. A TV show is hard to write for, a wrestling show is very easy to write for.

We need Vince Russo back!!!

:D

I second that! Hell, the man deserves at least a trial run based on what he accomplised as The Head Of Creative from 1997-99. But sadly that will never happen as long as Stephanie remains In charge of The Writing Team. :(

I really don't see much changing until Vince realizes the product has sucked since Steph has started booking. Does anyone think these "shakeups" will make a difference? And is the SD creative team that much worse than RAW's? Kane/Lita, anyone?

The wedding and segments leading up to it drew big ratings for this time period in wrestling.

They do not, nor should they, care about catering to the smarks.