TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan4Ever

Star Wars Trilogy DVD Set

A black geek, at that

I'm going to wait for one of my friends to pick it up so I can see the further changes by George before deciding if I want this myself.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I'm not a big fan either, but I am certainly eyeing it up. Those are movies that one MUST own.

With the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs coming out this tuesday, I was wondering who here planned on buying it? I am definitely looking forward to it and plan on buying it sometime this week.

It was bought about a month ago. DDDVD should have it to me sometime next week...

I was a big star wars geek in middle school but it has died down over the past few years and now in college. but with the DVDs out Tuesday and once I see the movies again, I can feel the inner-geek come out.

So far, the cheapest price I got so far is $39.99 at COMPUSA to help anyone out.

Im suprised that Best Buy isnt the cheapest, It usually tends to be.

Does anyone think any places might sell out on the first day because of pre-orders and because its star wars?

I dont plan on goin to COMPUSA until after my lab, and that won't be until after 3pm.

This is the only version of the films that will ever be made available as far as George Lucas is concerned...yes it's the "updated" versions.

I can see the originals going the way of the Star Wars Holiday Special...Lucas wanting to just forget about them.

Guest El Satanico
This is the only version of the films that will ever be made available as far as George Lucas is concerned...yes it's the "updated" versions.

I don't think he'll stick to that. In a few years after everything about episode III and upcoming DVDs have settled down, he'll decide he needs to cash in by releasing the original trilogy as it was first seen. He'll be cashing in on most of the people that bought these and on all the purists who wouldn't touch these tinkering projects.

That would truly be the only thing left to cash in on and I don't see Lucas passing on it. Some people will buy the trilogy three times by time Lucas is done with them.

This set

the eventual 6 film set

the unaltered version

I wouldn't be so sure about that. After all I've heard the guy say about this, for some reason I really believe that he means it. I even doubt we'll see a brand new DVD set released with all six Star Wars flicks. If anything they'll release the upcoming original trilogy in the exact same way along with a new box set of the first three. This is all talking about DVD though.

Lucas is already in the process of putting everything together for Star Wars on the next video format, and even that is said to be the new "updated" versions.

The guy has said time and time again that he doesn't care what the fans say, and that these are HIS films and he only wants the version that he intended to make to start with available. He said recently in another interview that if you want the original versions, then you should just keep your VHS copies.

I'm not saying we wont ever see the originals. I'm just saying that if I had to bet one way or another, I'd go with the orignals being forgotten by Lucas, and these new versions becoming what is available from here on out.

He said recently in another interview that if you want the original versions, then you should just keep your VHS copies.

For the record, I have the VHS set that was done with all the THX re-mastering and stuff, but no actual changes to the films.

On the box itself, it refers to this set as "the final video release of Star Wars in its original version".

Make of that what you will, but I, for one, would not be shocked if he never did release the originals.

He'd be a fool not to though - after a few years, people will EASILY drop more money for the originals.

Im suprised that Best Buy isnt the cheapest, It usually tends to be.

Wal-Mart will usually use it as a loss leader for a couple of days. If you can snag a flyer with a price on it though, Best Buy will match.

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't care about the changes being made? I have the originals on tape, if i get all nostalgic i'll just pop them back in...

Anyway, most stores around here are selling it for $39.99, which is more than a bargain, as far as i'm concerned...

I'll be getting it this week -- probably Friday or Saturday, which is when I usually go to Best Buy.

And the only changes I really didn't like was that STUPID scene in ROTJ right before Jabba sends that chick down into the monster pit. I cringe every time I see those singing/dancing things...

The guy has said time and time again that he doesn't care what the fans say, and that these are HIS films and he only wants the version that he intended to make to start with available.

And I don't care what he says, he's just milking the fanbase for what it's worth

I mean, it's admirable to want more money and all, I don't blame the guy for that. Just quit trying to say otherwise under the premise of "artistic license"...

HA! Okay I will agree with you on that one, that was about 5 minutes of total wasted time right there!

EDIT: dammit, Slayer got his post in right before i did...this post is in reference to KKKs post just above his...

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't care about the changes being made? I have the originals on tape, if i get all nostalgic i'll just pop them back in...

Anyway, most stores around here are selling it for $39.99, which is more than a bargain, as far as i'm concerned...

You can expect more changes when the movies will be released on Superbit dvd or whatever the HD format will be in the next 5 years.

Now with exclusive deleted scenes put back into the movies............more Ewoks with walkie-talkies.

I can't actually decide if I want to go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart to pick this up.

Best Buy:

$51.99 will be the price once it isn't on sale, the "normal" price.

$42.99 will be the price for this coming week.

I also right out asked them about the Madden coupon book. I told them that most have no idea what it's about, but that if the coupon is for real, as we all know it is, that it should tell them once they scan the coupon.

They agreed, and told me to just have the cashier scan the coupon, explain to them about the system having the right information in it, and that the 20% off WILL apply to this item also.

$34.40 + tax seems like a deal to me.

Wal-Mart:

My Wal-Mart also told me that they have it marked as $44.99 right now, but their price will be a few bucks less than that once it hits the shelf. WalMart ALSO told me that they are putting them out at 12am in about twelve hours, and once they do that they'll have the exact price and everything up. I'll be calling WalMart at 12am or so and asking for sure if they have it put out, and if they do, I might just get it there...mainly because Best Buy is about an hour away from me.

Already got my copy reservered and paid for. They called me and told me they will also be getting special lithographs for the first so many people. Now all I got to do is get somebody to go pick it up for me and I will be good to go

The guy has said time and time again that he doesn't care what the fans say, and that these are HIS films and he only wants the version that he intended to make to start with available. He said recently in another interview that if you want the original versions, then you should just keep your VHS copies.

I call bullshit on ever seeing his "true" vision for the movies. Mostly because Lucas seems to have an obsessive need to tinker with the films, and is geek enough to throw shit in there because "it's cool". To him, anyways. Makes sense, because they are his films, but it doesn't mean I'll always like it...