TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheLastBoyscout

Movies that people say they hate... without seeing

Guest Staravenger
7) Star Wars movies

Correction: Anything that has to do with fake universes with a bunch of weird aliens.

That's... really not saying much. I disagree though. I happen to be a huge Jim Varney fan. His dramatic works, few and far between though they may be, are fantastic. One that most have seen is Mr. Nash in Earnest Goes to Jail... I mean, shit, that was one great performance.

I take it you've never seen the show Mystery Science Theater 3000 huh?

Nope, but I bet dollars to donuts I'd have a new pick for "worst movie ever" if I saw Manos and the Hands of Fate.

I've actually had the "pleasure" of seeing "Manos: The Hands Of Fate" (infact I actually own it. The MST3K episode, not the actual movie), so yeah, you would be right. Without a doubt, it's the most disgusting, brutal, horrible, terrible, awful, wretched, bad, shitty, crappy movie I have ever seen in my entire life!

Guest Ray
Gigli is crap bar the 10 or so minutes with Al Pacino and the lil bit of Christopher Walken we see.

And how do people not like Platoon without seeing it? Cause its a War Movie??

It's got a vision of Vietnam that offends a lot of people I know.

Eh, what's wrong with Platoon's vision on Vietnam and why does it offend them? I'm curious...

Guest Staravenger

Because half of america hated the idea of Vietnam in the first place might be one reason.

Yeah, Star Wars and Star Trek take a beating from alot of people who just won't watch anything "sci fi". It doesn't look real or whatever, I guess.

I thought F-911 when I saw this thread too.

I don't hate Gigli. I DID enjoy all the hubbub over how bad it supposedly was. Still, have no desire to see it though.

I always felt Full Metal Jacket gave a harsher picture of the Vietnam War than Platoon did...guess that's just me... *shrugs*

I will agree on the Julia Roberts hate, i generally don't even waste my time with her movies save for Ocean's Eleven/Twelve (well okay when Twelve comes out)...anything with Kate Hudson in it also...

I hate people who dismiss IAWL for being "too happy". It's the darkest commercial film of Capra's career.

Interesting choice of words - I could swear I've recently heard them elsewhere :P

Gigli is crap bar the 10 or so minutes with Al Pacino and the lil bit of Christopher Walken we see.

And how do people not like Platoon without seeing it? Cause its a War Movie??

It's got a vision of Vietnam that offends a lot of people I know.

well as a son of a disabled vietnam vet, I can say that most people are morons. that war wasn't pretty at all. No matter what the republicans may like to spin, vietnam was a horror

I would say titanic, but then again I have never seen it in full. I tried to wacth for 5 mins, but wanted to shoot out my tv screen. as steve harvey said in the original kings of comedy "Bring on the water and drown these people"

gigli does come to mid, even without hearing the reviews I wouldnt watch this one.

yea F9-11 comes to mind, I haven't seen it yet but Ill probably get the dvd tomorrow to judge for myself (if it is like past moore docus like Roger and Me Ill enjoy it)

Guest DVD Spree
Yeah, Star Wars and Star Trek take a beating from alot of people who just won't watch anything "sci fi". It doesn't look real or whatever, I guess.

Agreed - Star Trek wins this hands-down.

Professional wrestling would also be a good one, though that's TV rather than movies.

I'd have to go with Last Action Hero.

Guest curry_man2002

I have never really seen lotr but i say to everyone i hate it because i just know i would

Death To Smoochy is pretty hated but has a cult following, which all crappy/good movies have anyways.

Shaolin Soccer for Stephen Chow and the overall Asian comedy style.

Shaun of the Dead - just for "mixing comedy with zombies" so i've been told numerous times, but I'm sure White Chicks was a fine film for them.

Irreversible for being "disgusting" and for the fact that its story is told/shown from the end to the beginning.

Or any other gorrific movie for that matter that people bash just because there is a violent part of it they don't like or can't watch.

I've had plenty of people tell me they'd never watch any Troma movie because they heard the reputation of how bad they are.

And yes, these same people are South Park and Family Guy fans. And when I tell them that Trey Parker and Matt Stone got their start through Troma, and that their sense of humor is just like Troma's (only toned down for network standards), they sit down and watch Tromeo & Juliet, or Citizen Toxie, with me.

And then they claim they love Troma. Fucking poseurs.

Also, I know plenty of people that say they hate SLC Punk because they heard it's a metaphor of how the punk thing is for teenagers and young'un's that haven't been able to grow up yet.

Generally I don't "hate" a movie I haven't seen but Catwoman would definitely fall into this category.

Normally I just don't bother seeing a movie that I'm probably not gonna like anyways. This would include most movies starring Julia Roberts, Halle Berry, Tom Cruise or Gerbil Boy.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
I hate people who dismiss IAWL for being "too happy". It's the darkest commercial film of Capra's career.

Interesting choice of words - I could swear I've recently heard them elsewhere :P

Yeah, the debate over IAWL at the DVDVR thread was definitely the inspiration for this.

Guest Evolution

Both movies in the Fast and the Furious series. I refuse to believe that either one of them are any good, judging from trailers and such.

Gilgi

The Blair Witch Project 1 & 2

The Others

The Next Karate Kid

Scooby Doo the live version

White Chicks

Anything with Hilary Duff

Cody Banks

A.I.

Anacondas

Halloween Resurrection

Anything with Madonna in the starring role.

2 Fast 2 Furious

I got plenty more but this is all I can of at the moment.

I rented Gigli to see what the "worst movie ever" would be like, and I have to admit, I kinda liked it.

It wasn't good in the classical sense (Affleck's character was way too over-the-top of a parody), but there were still plenty of funny parts. The retarded kid was fucking gold, and J'Lo's just so smoking hot that she gets it a couple bonus points too.

Guest DVD Spree
Shaolin Soccer for Stephen Chow and the overall Asian comedy style.

Anyone who hates Shaolin Soccer - genuinely or otherwise - is a loser.

(possible spoilers)

Gigli isn't really as bad as the rep would indicate. I actually liked the Pacino scene (in another movie people would have loved it). The retard kid had his moments, such as singing Baby Got Back in the morgue.

The main problem is that the movie is simply WAY too talky and nothing really happens. It has no sense of suspense or urgency, and that's lethal in a kidnapping type movie. The kid just goes with Gigli willingly and they kinda chill and Affleck and J'Lo have long winded talks about penises and vaginas.

I will admit the ending is one of the most hilariously awful things ever though...when the dramatic chorus music kicks in as retard finds his "Baywatch" it's like you're witnessing some kind of once in a lifetime badness.

Guest PlatinumBoy

Not really hate, but the worst I've seen was when I tried to convince a friend to see Napoleon Dynamite with me (I'd seen it already) and when he asked what is about I described it, and then he asks who's in it and I go, "No one big, the only people you may know of is the guy who was Lawrence from Office Space, Jethro in Beverly Hillbillies, and on the Drew Carey Show, and ummm... Hillary Duff's sister."

My friend promptly answers, "Ummm.... Duff's sister. Ok, that movie sucks, I'm defintely not seeing it now."

My enjoyment of Shaolin Soccer was heightened by the horrible translation I had of it.

I'll never watch Titanic. That movie is fucking banned.

Lots of people will never watch subbed/animated/sci-fi/merchant ivory etc, which of course is valid. And of course some people despise horror.

Troma's definitely an acquired taste. And what that taste would literally be, I shudder to guess. How can you not love Lloyd Kaufman, though.

I generally won't watch surrealist movies anymore, besides Lynch. I've seen El Topo, Un Chien Andelou, Naked Lunch, etc, and can safely say I'm sick of them.

I'm sick of war movies too. Band of Brothers and Apocalypse now are pretty much the end-all/be-all of war movies on either side of the spectrum, and they just bring me down, man.

At least once a year, there's always some big-budget Hollywood production that gets a massive negative buzz before it even comes out, and people just decide to hate it because, y'know, everyone hates it. Gigli and Catwoman are two recent examples, with Showgirls probably being the all-time best.

Then there are the mainstream hits that most people love, but plenty of hipsters backlash against: Titanic, Gone With the Wind, It's a Wonderful Life, the LOTR flicks, etc etc etc.

And finally, there are those movies whose content or plotlines piss people off simply by being described to them. Lots of religious flicks fall in this category: The Last Temptation of Christ, Priest, Dogma, and Passion of the Christ all fall into this category. Farenheit 9/11 (or pretty much any Michael Moore movie) falls into the general category too.

Guest DVD Spree
Farenheit 9/11 (or pretty much any Michael Moore movie) falls into the general category too.

In fairness, it's arguably okay and justified to dislike a Michael Moore film without having seen it, since documentaries are supposed to be objective and, while not necessarily entirely unbiased or without opinion, at least reasonably impartial. It's not so much Moore's overt political stance, but the fact that he so brazenly twists and takes things out of all context means that his films have no credibility as legitimate documentaries - for this reason, I'd say it's within reason to hate them without needing to view them.

Them and just about any match involving John Cena.

I don't want to see F911 because I didn't like Bowling for Columbine and I can't imagine Michael doing things much different