TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Dynamite Kido
A funny story about Starcade 99. The Columbus cable company forgot to scramble the event so the whole city got it and the replay for free.

Apparently that was the same way for my cable company and it was the sole reason I got to watch Beach Blast 92 live on PPV..........you know, without paying.

I got to see No Way Out 02 replay and Backlash 02live for free as the cable company forgot to scramble the channel twice in a months time (and the channel stayed on for 3 days each time too)

The Dungeon of Doom story:

Slamboree 95: Kevin Sullivan (who along with Brutus Beefcake as The Butcher and John Tenta as Avalanche had been the 3 face sof fear - amini stable that feuded with hogan,savage, and sting and also dave sullivan) defeats Beefcake (who turned face briefly I guess) but a weird voice comes over the sound system calling for kev.

Next week on Sat nite they aired a vignette of sullivan running from the arena into the woods (still in his trunks) into a cave where he met his "father" the master who told him to remember the mission DESTROY HULKAMANIA. sullivan was renamed as the taskmaster and started recruiting a gang to help him. the first member being Kamala,and shark (tenta again) shortly therafter the zodiac (beefcake) and meng and barbarian as the faces of fear but at the bash at the beach 95 preshow on tbs (main event) the giant debuted giving hogan a shirt that was supposadly andres (yes andre the giant) giant officially made dod member in august as hogan is attacked by him in the masters cave.

So they feuded with hogan and even faced off with hogan and friends (including the newly signed lex luger who took over Vaders place when he was fired shortly after his face turn) in war games at fall brawl 95. Hogan then feuded with the giant over monster trucks and the wcw title. of course at havoc 95 hogan won the truck match and threw giant off the roof---but he was fine and later in the night beat hogan by dq thanks to jimmy hart turning heel (and giant winning the title as it was revealed hart put the dq=title change clause in the contract as hogans manager--but it was overturned since hart was the one who put it in and purposley tried to steal the title) also we saw the debut of the yeti and lex luger turend on hogan and kinda loosley aligned himself with hart and the dod.

Hogan defeated the giant at superbrawl 96 in a cage and fatrewards the lochness made his debut for the dod (he lasted a month before he turned face and was squashed by giant at uncensored 96 never to be seen again) and around this time the dod and horseman started to feud a bit. Big Bubba Rogers (bossman) joined in the middle of the year, as did konnan after his heel turn. zodiac left early in 96 and renamed himself the booty man.

aside from the sullivan-benoit feud the dungeon became useless in 96 and a couple of its members joined the nwo later on (like bubba and konnan for ex) the DOD basically all but died in 97 when sullivan lost a retirement match to benoit at bash at the beach 97

long story short, Hogan wanted a heel stable to feud with and he got the lamest one ever. and the whole thing lasted way too long and was finally mercy killed

Sorry if this was answered earlier, but what was up with Hogan lying down for Sting at Havoc 99? Was he hurt? Because I don't remember him coming back until after Russo was taken out for the first time. I know the whole thing was an angle to get the title off Sting and start a big tournament, but was Hogan really hurt or anything?

also we saw the debut of the yeti

I believe the Yeti's debut was on the Monday Nitro before that, as I remember them bringing out a giant block of ice that melted right as the show was going on. It led up to the main event where the Yeti was charging the ring while wrapped in toilet paper. That was one of my favourite Nitro moments of all-time.

I was even lucky enough to be able to attend Halloween Havoc that year, and get to see the Yeti help the Giant lock some weird double bear hug on Hogan.

In relation to the 'Shutdown' angle that was to take place after, or during WCW Greed 2001, had WCW still kept going, it seems the general idea of that angle had stemmed from a column written by someone within the internet community, I can't remember who, maybe someone from wrestleline...I don't know

I remember reading this idea for an angle, in which during one Nitro, WCW would experience a 'Lockdown' of soughts, with wrestlers being unable to leave the building and a new owner (who presumably would be a hired actress), would completely change the way WCW would function. It was to involve a complete visual makeover of all WCW programming and sets, with present alliances breaking up and old ones forming again (The 4 Horseman was mentioned, with Goldberg I believe, as being a new member).

Following this column Mark Madden, on his website, mentioned that he liked the idea so much that he was going to bring it up to the WCW booking committee.

I remember the whole thing vividly because it was something completely original that could be done quite economically.

If anyone has the link to the 'lockdown' column I'd love to read it again.

Sorry if this was answered earlier, but what was up with Hogan lying down for Sting at Havoc 99? Was he hurt? Because I don't remember him coming back until after Russo was taken out for the first time. I know the whole thing was an angle to get the title off Sting and start a big tournament, but was Hogan really hurt or anything?

This was yet another wonderful pointless swerve from Superbooker Vince Russo, in conjunction with Hogan. The idea was that to push Hogan as being a rebel due to not being cooperative with the new hot writers in WCW, one of which just happened to be Russo. In the angle, Hogan, because he didn’t want to put Sting over, would just lie down for him, and thus not have to really put him over. Hogan would then be suspended, and later come back to feud with whomever. When the angle played out, as soon as Sting ‘pinned’ Hogan, they immediately went to a video package, to try and further the illusion that it was a shoot. In addition to that, also in order to try and make it seem legit, they never talked about it again, and when Sting came out on Nitro, explaining his match with Goldberg was non-title because he only offered to face someone to help WCW out of a jam because of having no main event, he did so without make-up, once again to try and make it seem legit. It never dawned on Russo that if nobody talks about an angle, it doesn’t register with anyone and it doesn’t get over. But, of course, Superbooker was too smart for such outdated concepts like making money

Coincidentally, ratings at the time were beginning to slide, and Hogan usually pulled some kind of vanishing act at times like this, so as to avoid being associated with bad ratings. Then, after a while, Hogan would come back, cause an artificial jump in ratings, and use this to fool executives who didn’t know any better, and even some that did, that this was proof that without him people stopped caring about WCW, and thus he deserved his big salary and the top spot.

thats Russo for you . obssesed with worked shoot angles

as scott keith once put it , russos shoot angles(as well as any other shoot angle) were basically telling the audience, "Everything you see is fake, except for this, this is real" and you wonder why people thought owen hart dying was a work?

and yea yeti indeed debuted on the nitro before from the aforementioned block of ice, but i couldnt see nitro at the time, cuz I only had basic cable (had to watch st night for my info on wcw ) at the time and in truth didnt see a Nitro until december 95 (back then tnt had one feed, so I living in the west coast could watch nitro at 6 and raw at 9 with no channel flipping!!!! until july 98 when they decided on seperate west and east coast feeds, those jerks!!! i had to channel flip during foley winning the wwf title for crying out loud)

In relation to the 'Shutdown' angle that was to take place after, or during WCW Greed 2001, had WCW still kept going, it seems the general idea of that angle had stemmed from a column written by someone within the internet community, I can't remember who, maybe someone from wrestleline...I don't know

I remember reading this idea for an angle, in which during one Nitro, WCW would experience a 'Lockdown' of soughts, with wrestlers being unable to leave the building and a new owner (who presumably would be a hired actress), would completely change the way WCW would function. It was to involve a complete visual makeover of all WCW programming and sets, with present alliances breaking up and old ones forming again (The 4 Horseman was mentioned, with Goldberg I believe, as being a new member).

Following this column Mark Madden, on his website, mentioned that he liked the idea so much that he was going to bring it up to the WCW booking committee.

I remember the whole thing vividly because it was something completely original that could be done quite economically.

I remember reading that article. I can't, for the life of me, remember who wrote it, though. It may have been on OnlineOnslaught. No link, either.

I remember reading that article. I can't, for the life of me, remember who wrote it, though. It may have been on OnlineOnslaught. No link, either.

I found the article, quoted in the Google cache of a forum from 2002. The article was originally written by Steve Harper for WrestleLine in December 2000.

LOCKDOWN

[...]

What was missing, and this is no big secret, is a sense of direction. Personally, I prefer the show as it is, on “autopilot” with simple, almost ‘80’s style booking like the Storm/Rection feud centered on the hot valet switching sides to dictate where the title goes, rather than the frenetic goofiness that Russo originally brought. I don’t know if he’s still booking or not, but this stuff, though quieter, is much better. But it’s not enough. Just as Russo brought with him a less coherent version of what the WWF had already moved away from when he arrived (thus making WCW seem behind the curve when they used to be in front of it), last night’s show also seemed like a “lite” version of the WWF’s new toned down product.

Now, since I keep saying that they (WWF) are only scratching the surface of what wrestling can look like if they keep pushing the creative envelope, and since WCW needs a(nother) makeover, I’m going to put my money where my mouth is this week and show you what I mean.

WCW does not need to spend more money, they don’t need to sign WWF stars as they come available to appear “major league,” what they need is to get a little creative and do something that the competition is NOT already doing (or worse, already did two years ago). WCW can compete with the WWF, and they can win. But they need to be creative to do it. They need their OWN new Attitude, and their OWN new direction. Something different.

Here is just an example of one possible new direction for Nitro and Thunder. No new stars (accept for a hire or two of non-wrestlers, as you’ll see), and some minor set changes. With a little tweaking, it can feel like a totally new show. Okay? From here on when I say “we,” I mean WCW if they were implementing my pitch. Check it out…

WCW: LOCKDOWN

The Concept: No-frills competition in the ring where every pin-fall, every submission, and every DQ, MATTERS. The existing fantasy world of pro-wrestling will be taken to logical extremes and made to seem as “real” as possible, thus creating a fantasy version of “Reality-based television.” Like this…

All WCW Wrestlers will be asked to sign new contracts (fictional contracts) or leave the company. They will be warned up front to read these contracts carefully, because there is a substantial amount of physical risk to go along with the chances for fame and financial gain. More on that later… The basics of the “contracts” will serve to make the idea of “competition” clear and meaningful. The driving force behind the new show is, of course, ratings, so colorful characterizations (like Sting, or Kwee Wee, or whoever), are certainly encouraged. But there will be differences in the way things work. For one thing, win/loss records (on TV) will actually mean something. No need to keep a tally of matches, but there will be a ranking system (like a top ten for each division, with onscreen graphics). Rankings will determine title shots. DQ’s count as a loss, titles WILL change hands on a DQ, and referee’s decisions are final. This doesn’t mean you can’t sneak in and waffle somebody with a chair - in fact that kind of behavior is good for ratings, so it will be encouraged - but if you get caught, you will lose, and thus fall in the rankings. Therefore, in the ring, once the bell rings, the referee will wield more power.

TITLES: Whatever your contract is worth, say DDP pulls in $1,000,000 per year – For every day you hold the World Title Belt, the per diem of your contract will be DOUBLED (not really, just in storylines). For all other belts, your per diem will be increased by 50%. This way, belts are absolutely worth fighting over. In fact they are literally worth more than their weight in gold.

Suddenly, WCW sounds like a pretty good place to work, right? Just make sure you read the new contract before you sign it…

The Unusual Stipulation: The “Lockdown Clause” - Any building, any arena, where WCW is putting on a show, will be considered “Locked Down” on the day of the show. Yes, like a prison. This means that for the hours in which contracted WCW wrestlers are inside the building, they will have waived many of the rights of decent society they had before stepping inside the door. Essentially, what this boils down to is: the competition is not relegated to the ring. There are rules in the ring, and those rules will be strictly enforced. But backstage, anarchy rules. If you are attacked backstage and injured, you will have no legal recourse against your attacker, or the company. NOTE: Wrestlers enter the buildings each week through metal detectors – no weapons (other than traditional folding chairs, pipe wrenches and whatever is usually lying around the arenas) will be allowed in. Don’t expect murders or anything like that - these “characters” will still be loosely based on the real guy playing them (i.e. Steve Borden is a real person who calls only calls himself “Sting” – he will not suddenly become a homicidal maniac). The stories will therefore be closer to “reality,” with a great opportunity to see how these men and women will react (what kinds of moral decisions will they come to?) under extreme, volatile, and potentially dangerous circumstances. It will still be a place for Nitro Girls and hot valets; everybody just needs to be more careful… see the next paragraph.

Of course, backstage attacks happened all the time before, but now they will make sense. Now they are legal (secretly encouraged by evil management for the sake of ratings), and officially part of the show. To further the sense of reality, NEW ALLIANCES will be formed (over the course of time), not for convenience, but out of sheer necessity. You simply will not be able to walk around back stage without someone to watch your back.

Also written into the contract is a waiver, a la “Real World” or “Survivor” that allows for everything and anything you do or say to be shown on TV. WCW will hide cameras in locker rooms and corridors to capture all of the backstage “reality,” (and again, now it will make sense, instead of having scheming wrestlers simply not notice the camera man shining a light in their face while they reveal their secret plans). Also, a roving reporter with a microphone and a camera crew will enter the “Lockdown” and move back and forth between warring factions to get interviews (and to find people who have managed to get away from the hidden cameras). This crew will have signed the same contract, and be at risk just like journalists in a war zone. As stories develop over time, we will see how they parlay their influence, and their ability to get people’s messages out without bias, into keeping themselves unharmed. But they better not piss off the wrong guys.

Behind this scheme is the evil producer: We hire a professional actor – female, mid 30’s, sophisticated brains and beauty - to play the role of an evil, ratings oriented “Hollywood Genius” brought in by the company to create higher numbers at all costs (actually, at low costs, but we won’t talk about that on TV). “Lockdown” is her big idea. This woman, let’s call her MS. WRIGHT (she presents herself as the “solution”) will spend most of the show in the production BOOTH, where she oversees the show with the director at the board of camera monitors. They listen in to all the hidden cameras and microphones and cut back and forth between them to put the viewer right in the middle of the action and the intrigue, the “reality” if you will. Everyone in the Booth will be miked as well, with a live camera rolling at all times. Ms. Wright will constantly be upgrading the LOCK on her door and overall Booth Security as the week’s roll on and the wrestlers come to hate her more and more.

A second professional actor will play the part of her weaselish, two-faced assistant, let’s call him TAD, – this pretentious manipulator (you are his single favorite person in the entire world while you’ve got him face to face) will be on camera often backstage, serving as liaison from management to the “talent” (the wrestlers), and in constant contact with Ms. Wright via radio headset.

New stage set, something visually different, like an all-white ring with white ropes. Whatever… it doesn’t really matter as long as it’s different.

Just to give an idea of how this concept could play, the first episode of “Lockdown” might go like this…

We see a few wrestlers entering the building through a metal detector. And we see Ms. Wright in the Booth making sure all is going smoothly as introductions start for the opening match.

A new play-by-play announcer (someone who can call action as if it were “real” – someone like ECW’s JOEY STYLES) joins Mark Madden. They welcome us to “Lockdown” not sure, themselves, what to expect. All they know is that all TITLES have been stripped, and the tournaments are beginning… now. First match is a qualifier for the Cruiserweight Title, Devon Storm vs. Elix Skipper. Though the audience is not yet privy to all the new background stuff, both men come out with a different look on their faces. They are not playing face/heel roles, but rather look very serious and even nervous. The announcers give a description of the top ten rankings (as best as they can from what’s been explained to them). The wrestlers work hard and stiff for 5-7 minutes, being extra careful not to get DQ’ed or counted out of the ring (announcers can explain this part, too). Match ends in a clean pin for Elix.

Next we see Ms. Wright leave the Booth for a televised meeting with the talent. Many have already signed the new contracts, but many others (including big stars like Booker T) have not. She wants to make sure that everybody really understands what he or she will be getting into (acts like a fair-minded, kind hearted person in the beginning), before they sign. So she now explains the premise of the show, and talks about what just happened in the ring, with Elix moving on in the tournament, but also up in the rankings, while Devon moved down.

We will begin to see how, whatever storylines may develop backstage, they will still all center around the Four Divisions (no more Hardcore Title because it would be redundant, now – although there might be an unsanctioned, no-rules, backstage belt fought over just for prestige in the back), starting with the month-long tournaments to be concluded on PPV, but eventually revolving around who holds the belts. As an example, here’s a look at the first major storyline.

Booker is pissed about being stripped of his title for the sake of a new format, but if he needs to go through a tournament to get it back, he will. The extra money sounds nice too. He signs.

After that on-screen talent meeting, we get a glimpse of the TRUE Ms. Wright talking with Tad. She’s all about ratings, and she doesn’t think Booker represents the most “desired demo” to be champ. She’s ignorant of wrestling history, and exactly who these guys are, but she thinks somebody like, say blond haired hard body Lex Luger, or maybe Scott Steiner might make a better champ “for TV purposes.” She’s aware of the camera, of course, but it doesn’t take a genius to read between the lines of what she’s saying. She immediately goes about the business of stacking the deck against Booker in the tournament, by a) giving him tough opponents, and b) sending Tad on a mission to get some of the boys to take Booker down hard, backstage.

As the Heavyweight tournament plays out over several shows, leading up to the finals on the first PPV, it becomes clear that Booker is not wanted (as champion) by management, but he fights as a babyface through all obstacles, continuing to pull out unlikely wins when it was thought he would not even make it to the ring. Ric Flair, in the role of the respected veteran brought in as liaison between the wrestlers and management, doesn’t like this new deal one bit, and he fights and bargains with Ms. Wright to amend the contracts. But it’s too late. She won’t deal, and if he’s not careful, he might wind up in the hospital, too. Meanwhile, Ms, Wright is constantly upgrading the locks and security around her Booth, until it becomes like a Saddam Hussein bunker back there.

Scott Steiner, meanwhile, thriving in the newly legalized chaos backstage, has become sort of a jailhouse prophet for all the younger heels. Drunk with power and the freedom to be as bad as he wants, Steiner has gone off the deep end. He’s surrounded by even more “Freaks” in some kind of makeshift “pleasure-dome” of food, wine, and sex carried from arena to arena. He’s calling the shots for the powers of darkness like Marlon Brando in “Apocalypse Now.” And Booker, both because Ms. Wright is making it worth his while, and because Steiner just hates the guy, has become his prime target.

Eventually, another babyface, Sting (who lost a Tournament match to Booker) will come to Booker’s aid, and they’ll “watch each other’s backs, brother” against all the Steiner initiated attacks backstage. But that’s still not enough, as even the lower card guys are banding together to form dangerous alliances, all with colorful gimmicks designed to get Ms. Wright’s attention and have more TV time focused on them. Since it’s well known what she wants, Sting and Booker are getting attacked left and right.

Meanwhile, Goldberg still stands alone, unscathed backstage (because others are afraid of him) and hovering between face/heel status. Two weeks removed from the PPV, just to prove that Ms. Wright is true to her word, the loudmouthed trouble maker Ric Flair gets punked out and beaten down hard.

But the next week, a heavily bandaged Flair comes back in rare form. Enough is enough and the Nature Boy has been pushed too far. Some Hollywood bimbo thinks she can step into his arena and play his game… lady, he invented this game. Now he’s gonna “take her to school!” With one week to go before the PPV when new Champions will be crowned in all the various Tournament Finals… Ric Flair, in all his Armani clad glory, reforms the Four Horsemen with Booker, Sting, and… Goldberg. Ms. Wright isn’t sure what all this means, but she’s sure she doesn’t like it.

Later that evening, Booker beats Luger in the semis, with the help of an Old School Horsemen referee distraction/ mauling of the Total Package, and the finals are set for next Sunday. It will be Booker T (w/ Ric Flair – now carrying a manager’s license that allows him to be at ringside, which he pulled out of his ass just to screw with Ms. Wright) vs. Scott Steiner (w/ Freaks) for the WCW World Heavyweight Title.

Who will win? Will Ric Flair start laying his Nature Boy rap on Steiner’s Freaks at ringside, planning to steal them away for a 60 minute ride on Space Mountain after the show? Will that distraction, with Flair walking away with a Freak on each arm at just the right time during the match cost Steiner the Title? Will Booker win his belt back and shut Ms. Wright up when she comes to the ring to protest by planting a big wet kiss on her mouth, leaving her shocked, aroused, and laying in the ring like Ravishing Rick Rude used to do?

So, that’s a rough outline of a new show that could grow into all kinds of new directions, based solely on adding new elements of “realism” to the story telling. It would even provide an interesting opportunity to gradually bring back old guys like Hogan and Savage, and give them an opportunity to be interesting, again. It wouldn’t cost WCW a dime, except for minor set cosmetics and hiring a couple of professional actors (who work cheaper than a lot of wrestlers) and one other very important thing… professional TV writers (who also work cheaper than a lot of wrestlers) to make the stories go.

Guest Catcher8C

What was the deal with the Taskmaster from the DOD days..was he a worker or what, because I was like 9 back then and that guy creeped me out...just the way he looked. Were there ever plans for him to be more than just a promo character?

Shit...that would have been awesome. And hell, I say they do it now, I'd watch that shit in a heartbeat.

I second this. If this would happen, I would gladly watch. Though, I think backstage politics and egos and shit would cause this to fail in the WWE. But if WCW did this and Hogan, Nash, and Russo weren't there, I think WCW would've won the war. That or just gotten smark support. But it would've been cool as hell.

This is quite the thread, finally finished reading it. The WWE/ECW ones are good too.

A question about what Regal did between his WWF stints was asked and the answer "nothing" was given... I do seem to recall him being involved in the WCWSN TV tite exclusive angles that also involved Duggan and the Cuban Assassin, but I could be way off on this one. I swear Regal lost, perhaps to Duggan, a match on SN that was his last one for WCW as it was either a Loser Leaves or a "If I don't win the title I'm leaving" situation. Feel free to correct this if it's wrong.

Mabel as the 3rd man... wow. Wrestling sure would have been different.

ML Curly, Detroit wrestling guy and convicted (I think) pedophile did report the Hogan thing in advance of the show, but he said to expect mother ships to blow up the earth if it happened and maintained that it would probably be Luger since Hogan wouldn't go heel.

Something that bothered me when I was younger was that WCW never had Bulldog beat Vader for the WCW title. I thought he would win it at Slamboree, but he didn't, so I thought for sure he'd win at the Clash, and he didn't. It pissed me off as I was a Bulldog mark. Any reason for this? Was it ever even considered, or was Bulldog just filler until Vader lost it to Sid (which turned out to be Flair) in December?

A question about what Regal did between his WWF stints was asked and the answer "nothing" was given... I do seem to recall him being involved in the WCWSN TV tite exclusive angles that also involved Duggan and the Cuban Assassin, but I could be way off on this one. I swear Regal lost, perhaps to Duggan, a match on SN that was his last one for WCW as it was either a Loser Leaves or a "If I don't win the title I'm leaving" situation. Feel free to correct this if it's wrong.

Regal came back into WCW in late 1999, working mostly on WCWSN and Thunder. He left after saying "if I don't win I'll leave," then losing to Jim Duggan in a TV Title match on the 2/26/00 edition of WCWSN. (The match was taped on 2/16/00 in Bethlehem, PA.)

ML Curly, Detroit wrestling guy and convicted (I think) pedophile did report the Hogan thing in advance of the show, but he said to expect mother ships to blow up the earth if it happened and maintained that it would probably be Luger since Hogan wouldn't go heel.

He also said in his column that the original NWO plans were allegedly for Hogan, Nash and Hall to run roughshod on WCW for the better part of a year without adding any more members. Then, the Outsiders would turn on Hogan at some point in 1997, and he would return to the yellow and red to help vanquish the NWO the following year at Hog Wild '97. Hall and Nash would then become "regular" WCW competitors until their contracts expired.

I doubt this was the case. And even if WCW did book that far in advance, why blow off the NWO at the biker show?

-Ben

I know this is a little late, but on the Boston Brawl that was mentioned early in thread. I think I was actually there. I remember it being some sort of internet only broadcast, right during the Benoit/Booker TV Title feud, and I remember him actually winning it, and then watching Nitro the next night only to have the title still be on Booker. If you have anymore information on it, like where it was and the date, that would be great, as I've always wondered what was going on there (and if we are actually refering to the same thing.)

I was watching some old episodes of Thunder...Rick Marshall would start off on color commentary, and then halfway through Mike Tenay would sub in. What was up with that?

Also, how did the whole Rick Steiner/Scott Steiner/Buff Bagwell feud go? How many times did Bagwell fake an injury and turn on Rick, and how did he always "fool" Rick?

I know this is a little late, but on the Boston Brawl that was mentioned early in thread. I think I was actually there. I remember it being some sort of internet only broadcast, right during the Benoit/Booker TV Title feud, and I remember him actually winning it, and then watching Nitro the next night only to have the title still be on Booker. If you have anymore information on it, like where it was and the date, that would be great, as I've always wondered what was going on there (and if we are actually refering to the same thing.)

Check this out:

http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/1998021p.htm

Guest Pariah

The Booker/Benoit best of seven wasn't actually for the TV Title right? It was for a shot at the title held by Fit Finley or someone correct? Or am I just making that up?

The Booker/Benoit best of seven wasn't actually for the TV Title right? It was for a shot at the title held by Fit Finley or someone correct? Or am I just making that up?

That's right. In the meantime, Fit was defending it against Psychosis and other people who had no chance in hell of winning it.

What was the deal with Giant & Jericho in August 98? Giant helps Jericho win the TV Title (over fellow NWO member Stevie Ray), and then helps Jericho get a few big wins. Then a few weeks later on Saturday Night, Giant chokeslams Jericho instead and the angle is forgotten the next night.

What was the deal with Giant & Jericho in August 98? Giant helps Jericho win the TV Title (over fellow NWO member Stevie Ray), and then helps Jericho get a few big wins. Then a few weeks later on Saturday Night, Giant chokeslams Jericho instead and the angle is forgotten the next night.

There was absolutely no logic to it all.

Giant chokeslammed Stevie Ray, costing him the title.

Then Giant came out and stopped Curt Hennig from beating on Jericho.

Then, Jericho thinks he has himself a puppet in The Giant during the SN match, and Giant then just chokeslams Jericho and reunites with Stevie Ray.

Stupidity, thy name was WCW.

Guest jm29195

Bischoff wanted Jericho to join the nWo at the time and initiated the Giant angle, but Jericho felt he would gain more exposure as a character by himself than if he were to join the nWo and get lost in the shuffle, this was one of Jericho's first major bust-ups with Bischoff as he had been until then, one of his pet projects.....

Was the plan to put Goldberg over Hogan for the title a last minute one?

How did the Flock die out?

Why didn't WCW job out Jericho on television before he left for the WWF?

Did WCW ever consider signing RVD?

When did Rick Rude stop appearing in WCW?

Was Bret Hart really injured in early 1999 when he jobbed the U.S title to Piper?

Why did WCW not have Wargames at Fall Brawl in 1999, and not have World War III in 1999?

Was the plan to put Goldberg over Hogan for the title a last minute one?

How did the Flock die out?

Why didn't WCW job out Jericho on television before he left for the WWF?

Did WCW ever consider signing RVD?

When did Rick Rude stop appearing in WCW?

Was Bret Hart really injured in early 1999 when he jobbed the U.S title to Piper?

Yes. The Hogan v Goldberg match was meant to be dark, but when WWF started winning the ratings, Bischoff put the match on TV, thereby pissing away about $7m in PPV revenue.

The Flock broke up when Saturn beat Raven at FB '98 in a match where, if Saturn won, The Flock had to disband. And they did.

Put that down to Eric. He made the call to take Jericho off TV in the last months of his stay. Quite why they didn't bury him on the way out, I don't know.

Probably in mid-1998 when he passed out backstage when he was doing commentary on an internet broadcast of Nitro.

Was the plan to put Why didn't WCW job out Jericho on television before he left for the WWF?

Put that down to Eric. He made the call to take Jericho off TV in the last months of his stay. Quite why they didn't bury him on the way out, I don't know.

FWIW, he was jobbed out for the most part from January until April. He would pick up a win here and there against the likes of Saturn and Lizmark Jr but was mostly fodder for guys like Booker T and Scott Steiner.

And I believe his last ever loophole was weasling his way back into the US Title Tournament after Steiner eliminated him. There was an injury and Jericho kissed up to President Flair and w/ him was . . . JoJo Dillion himself. Sadly, he lost again to Booker T in the tourney. . . and then lost again in a non-tourney match to Booker T.

Hmm... no that wasn't the same event I was at. The one I was at had a DDP/Raven match, and a Giant/Nash match as the ME. (which ended up being a total waste because Nash got DQ'd on a low blow in like 3 minutes, and just powerbombed Lil Naitch to end it. It was some sort of crazy internet only thing though... they had webcams on poles around the ring.

EDIT: I found it...it was something called "Profiles in Pain"

Event: WCW Profiles In Pain

Date: May 2, 1998

Arena: North Charleston Coliseum

Ernest Miller pinned Yuji Nagata....The Barbarian pinned Bobby Eaton....High Voltage (Rage and Kaos) defeated Sick Boy and Kidman when Rage pinned Kidman....Saturn pinned Fit Finlay....World Television Title Match: Chris Benoit defeated Booker T via submission to win the title....No Disqualification Match: Diamond Dallas Page pinned Raven in a "no DQ" match....The Giant defeated Kevin Nash by Disqualification.

Link: http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/p...wcw/wcwmisc.htm