TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

ECW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Pariah

The FTW Title came about because Shane Douglas, who was the World Champion for pretty much the entirity of '98, was injured (Broken Arm I believe, at least in character anyway). Douglas was in a feud with Taz who demanded that Douglas relinquish the Title, that never happened so Taz created his own World Title the FTW Title, I don't believe it was ever officially recognised by ECW as a World Title though

Weezer's song "El Scorcho" mentions Public Enemy and New Jack.

"Watching Grunge legdrop New Jack through a press table..."

What was the deal with Jack Victory?  Why was he in the wheelchair and did he ever do anything other than being Steve Corino's yes man?

Victory was either faking an injury, or had a legit injury (for a short period of time), and he and Corino simply played it up beautifully.

Once Corino turned face, I believe Victory ditched the chair, though I may be wrong.

What was the deal with Jack Victory?  Why was he in the wheelchair and did he ever do anything other than being Steve Corino's yes man?

Victory was either faking an injury, or had a legit injury (for a short period of time), and he and Corino simply played it up beautifully.

He legit broke his leg at N2R 1998 during a tag match.

Victory was with Corino to the end I believe...I think I remember them doing promos together on Guilty As Charged 01

Was he with Corino during his period as a face?

And I had thought the injury was fake just because of how Victory used to constantly get the shit beat out of him despite it.

I loved the speech Corino gave at a show talking about how the arena lacks a handicapped ramp so Victory had to sit on top of the entrance way and cheer throughout the match.

Yeah, Corino's face run was just at the very end, Jack was there doing promos with him. They'd call for a highspot and Jack would give his little two fingers up (making a V) sign

He legit broke his leg at N2R 1998 during a tag match.

I was thinking it was something like Joel Gertner wearing the neck brace forever.

Guest KINGOFTHEWORLD

Is everybody forgetting that the late "HotStuff" Eddie Gilbert along w/ Tod Gordon started ECW back in 1993!

If it wasn't for that backstabber Paul Heyman, Eddie Gilbert would be getting his fare share of credit for helping put ECW on the map!

The "Franchise" Shane Douglas would be the first one to admit it!

During ECW's early days, they had a great working relationship w/ the W*ING promotion in Japan. Thanks to Eddie Gilbert & his brother "Dangerous" Doug Gilbert aka The Dark Patriot!

Also I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka was the first official ECW champ back in 1993!

Weezer's song "El Scorcho" mentions Public Enemy and New Jack.

"Watching Grunge legdrop New Jack through a press table..."

I would love to find a good looking girl who would wind up writing that in her diary...

Is everybody forgetting that the late "HotStuff" Eddie Gilbert along w/ Tod Gordon started ECW back in 1993!

If it wasn't for that backstabber Paul Heyman, Eddie Gilbert would be getting his fare share of credit for helping put ECW on the map!

During ECW's early days, they had a great working relationship w/ the W*ING promotion in Japan. Thanks to Eddie Gilbert & his brother "Dangerous" Doug Gilbert aka The Dark Patriot!

Also I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka was the first official ECW champ back in 1993!

Congratulations on getting so many facts wrong.

Tod Gordon started ECW in 1992, just after the TWA folded. And Gilbert had nothing to do with it.

Gordon was the one who went with Heyman as booker, and it had nothing to do with anything Heyman did.

Considering this statement is based on a faulty premise, I'd say the chances of that are slim to none. Eddie Gilbert gets all the credit he deserves in regards to ECW.

The W*ING deal was brokered through Victor Quinones.

It hasn't been mentioned, probably because Snuka wasn't ECW Champion at all in 1993. He was the first ECW Champion though. In 1992.

Guest KINGOFTHEWORLD

Sorry, Hunter's Torn Quad! A couple of my facts were screwed up.

ECW did indeed start in 1992. Same can be said bout Jimmy Snuka winning the title in 1992!

Doug Gilbert told a friend of mine that in 1993, Eddie did indeed did own around 50% of the company!

Victor Quinones was involved in the W*ING deal, but it was mainly due to Doug & Eddie's involvment w/ W*ING at that time! Mostly due to Doug, thought!

It is well documented that Paul Heyman DID indeed screw Eddie out of his gig w/ Tod Gordon at that time. Doug Gilbert has made that well known more than a few times, along w/ some other early-ECW alumni!

Doug Gilbert told a friend of mine that in 1993, Eddie did indeed did own around 50% of the company!

Victor Quinones was involved in the W*ING deal, but it was mainly due to Doug & Eddie's involvment w/ W*ING at that time!

It is well documented that Paul Heyman DID indeed screw Eddie out of his gig w/ Tod Gordon at that time. Doug Gilbert has made that well known more than a few times, along w/ some other early-ECW alumni!

Doug Gilbert is lying through his teeth. At no point did Eddie ever own any part of ECW.

Victor Quinones was involved in the W*ING deal, but it was mainly due to Doug & Eddie's involvment w/ W*ING at that time!

Tod Gordon says otherwise.

Also not true. Gilbert quit as booker after an argument with Tod Gordon. Gilbert thought Gordon was getting involved with Jim Crockett and Gary Juster, which wasn't true, and Gilbert quit.

Not much of anything if I remember right. He popped up w/ The Impact Players at the ECW Arena before Anarchy Rulz 1999 to attack RVD and a couple other faces (TNN). This led to what was supposed to be RVD vs. Johnny Smith for the TV Title but Balls/Axl (I believe it was them) wiped him out at the ppv so Balls could get the title shot instead. I don't believe Smith ever showed up again.

I was watching the ECW DVD, Taz says that there were only two FTW Champions, him and Sabu. My question is what was the deal with Taz lying down for Sabu?

Due to Sabu scoring the pinfall in the N2R 6-man (RVD/Sabu/Taz vs. Triple Threat), he won the #1 contendership to the ECW World title. Taz and Sabu fought for the FTW title, and after breaking Sabu's neck via Dragon Tazplex through a table propped up in the corner (to take him out of the title match due to injury), and then pulled Sabu on top of him for the 1-2-3 so that Taz was title-less (and thus Douglas couldn't duck him anymore, as Taz was the #2 contender).

I also believe that Douglas paid Taz to take Sabu out, and Taz agreed only if he would get a title shot afterwards. Douglas agreed, thinking Taz would be the FTW champion so that he wouldn't have to defend the World title against him, but Taz outsmarted him.

Oh! I got a question...this is about Stevie Richards' comeback in 1997 after leaving WCW. Obviously it did not last long, as he would reinjure his neck (which led to a surgery that messed Stevie's vocal cords some, which is why he has the raspy voice he has today). Back then, there was a story about how it happened in a match with Chris Chetti, and it was because Taz told Chetti (his cousin, of course) to work stiff during the match, because of the heat Stevie had when going to WCW. True story?

I was watching the ECW DVD, Taz says that there were only two FTW Champions, him and Sabu. My question is what was the deal with Taz lying down for Sabu?

Due to Sabu scoring the pinfall in the N2R 6-man (RVD/Sabu/Taz vs. Triple Threat), he won the #1 contendership to the ECW World title. Taz and Sabu fought for the FTW title, and after breaking Sabu's neck via Dragon Tazplex through a table propped up in the corner (to take him out of the title match due to injury), and then pulled Sabu on top of him for the 1-2-3 so that Taz was title-less (and thus Douglas couldn't duck him anymore, as Taz was the #2 contender).

I also believe that Douglas paid Taz to take Sabu out, and Taz agreed only if he would get a title shot afterwards. Douglas agreed, thinking Taz would be the FTW champion so that he wouldn't have to defend the World title against him, but Taz outsmarted him.

That's pretty much what happened. The Sabu/Taz match for the FTW belt was pretty good.

I recently saw a picture of Johnny Smith with The Impact Players. What did he do in ECW?

Why didn't Johnny Smith make the Anarchary Rulz 99 PPV? It was suppose to be Smith vs RVD but he got replaced by Balls Mahoney.

Hey, here's a blast from the past:

Remember when Kid Kash was an ECW jobber named "David Morton Tyler Jericho?" Probably the worst name for a wrestler ever.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I justed watched Sabu vs RVD from N2R 96 and it was horrid. Blown spots, repeated spots, contrived moves (Sabu held a chair up to his face with 2 hands after RVD dropped it on him and RVD leg dropped him on the bleachers)

Hey, here's a blast from the past:

Remember when Kid Kash was an ECW jobber named "David Morton Tyler Jericho?" Probably the worst name for a wrestler ever.

He had previously used the names, David Tyler, David Jericho, and Daevy Morton. That name was just making fun of his previous names.

I justed watched Sabu vs RVD from N2R 96 and it was horrid. Blown spots, repeated spots, contrived moves (Sabu held a chair up to his face with 2 hands after RVD dropped it on him and RVD leg dropped him on the bleachers)

The one from (I believe) Hostile City Showdown is MUCH better. 'Twas a Stretcher Match, and there's very few blown spots, and even some psychology and long-term selling by both men.