Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Pimp me some good Manga

Guest JMA

Here you go:

InuYasha

Ranma 1/2

Excel Saga

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Shinji actually has more of a backbone in the manga.

Hellsing

.hack//Legend of the Twilight

Love Hina - Parts of the story are predictable and there is a lot of female-on-male violence, but overall I really like the series.

Yu Yu Hakusho

I hope I've been of some help.

Ive liked Shaman King & Battle Royale both quite a bit. Though I only recommend Battle Royale if you like insanly harsh violence and grapic depictions of....well everything.

I generally like action or humoure with character. Rumiko Takahashi's stuff is my fave so far.

Reccomendations?

IRON WOK JAN will be right up your alley

Since we're talking about Rumiko Takahashi's work, if you haven't checked out Maison Ikkoku yet, pick that up. The art is obviously dated (we're talking mid-to-late 80's art), but it's the Rumiko Takahashi romance-comedy formula you know and love.

Louie the Rune Soldier might interest you. It's about a sorceror that is fated to be a hero according to the visions of a priestess. Problem is, he'd rather drink, get into fistfights and hit on women. If you've seen Slayers and like that, give this a try too.

The Battle Royale manga has some insanely fucked-up depictions of violence, even moreso than the film. You know what you're getting into if you pick it up though (there's a reason that thing's shrinkwrapped). Not my bread and butter, but if it interests you, by all means go for it.

I could probably give my two cents on other manga titles if you asked me, but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment on specific titles to talk about.

Maison Ikkoku, if you like romantic-comedy stuff, is probably Takahashi's best work.

Battle Royale is good, but the book's better. However, Shinji Mimura IS the fucking MAN in the manga for the most part.

Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, One Peice, and Shaman King are all very enjoyable reads.

What I'm personally reading at the moment that I'd probably recommend: One Piece(definitely worth a look), Rurouni Kenshin, Shaman King, Bleach, D.N. Angel(a bit more on the romance side then you might like), Naruto, Prince of Tennis, and Ranma 1/2.

Kinda off-topic: Am I the only one who doesn't really like the Trigun art? My brother bought the first volume of Maximum and the art was just... UGH.

Kinda off-topic: Am I the only one who doesn't really like the Trigun art? My brother bought the first volume of Maximum and the art was just... UGH.

Well I certinally dont dislike the art but I also think that pretty much any other manga that I have read blows it away.

Another fun manga is Love Hina my friend had the first 7 vols and I read them all, The first few volumes are to funny for words but the later volumes were already getting alot more mushy, though its still really funny all the same.

At least it looks better that the FLCL manga.

"Priest" Priest makes deal with a demon, and battles zombies. Why an anime of this hasn't been done yet is beyond me, because we need an anime with zombies.

"Uzumaki" Also, check out the movie, which is fucking awesome.

Ugh, don't remind me. I about embarrassed myself at BAM when I opened up the first volume of FLCL and laughed out loud at how bad the art was.

Guest JMA

Ugh, don't remind me. I about embarrassed myself at BAM when I opened up the first volume of FLCL and laughed out loud at how bad the art was.

I have to agree with you there. The art was so messed up that I couldn't even manage to finish reading the series.

The FLCL manga effectively ended my tendency to impulse buy without scanning the manga first. That and the completely f'd up .hack volume 2's.

People who love manga.

You must get Mahou Sensei Negima (a.k.a. Magical Teacher Negi)!

This is like, so freaking good. Sure, its Ken Akamatsu, and sure, its harem comedy; but dammit. Its just fucking great.

I honestly need to buy all of it. Like, NOW.

God willing, I get a shitload of money for Christmas to buy this. Its freaking awesome.