TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The 2005 Grammy Music Award nominees

Record of the Year: "Let's Get It Started," The Black Eyed Peas; "Here We Go Again," Ray Charles and Norah Jones; "American Idiot," Green Day; "Heaven," Los Lonely Boys; "Yeah!" Usher featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris.

Album of the Year: "Genius Loves Company," Ray Charles and Various Artists; "American Idiot," Green Day; "The Diary of Alicia Keys," Alicia Keys; "Confessions," Usher; "The College Dropout," Kanye West.

Song of the Year: "Daughters," John Mayer (John Mayer); "If I Ain't Got You," Alicia Keys (Alicia Keys); "Jesus Walks," C. Smith and Kanye West (Kanye West); "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman (Tim McGraw); "The Reason," Daniel Estrin and Douglas Robb (Hoobastank).

New Artist: Los Lonely Boys; Maroon 5; Joss Stone; Kanye West; Gretchen Wilson.

Pop Vocal Album: "Genius Loves Company," Ray Charles and Various Artists; "Feels Like Home," Norah Jones; "Afterglow," Sarah McLachlan; "Mind, Body and Soul," Joss Stone; "Brian Wilson Presents Smile," Brian Wilson.

Rock Album: "The Delivery Man," Elvis Costello & the Imposters; "American Idiot," Green Day; "The Reason," Hoobastank; "Hot Fuss," the Killers; "Contraband," Velvet Revolver.

R&B Album: "My Everything," Anita Baker; "I Can't Stop," Al Green; "The Diary of Alicia Keys," Alicia Keys; "Musicology," Prince; "Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2," Jill Scott.

Rap Album: "To the 5 Boroughs," Beastie Boys; "The Black Album," Jay-Z; "The DEFinition," LL Cool J; "Suit," Nelly; "The College Dropout," Kanye West.

Country Album: "Van Lear Rose," Loretta Lynn; "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim McGraw; "Tambourine," Tift Merritt; "Be Here," Keith Urban; "Here for the Party," Gretchen Wilson.

Latin Pop Album: "Amar Sin Mentiras," Marc Anthony; "SinVerguenza," Bacilos; "Pau-latina," Paulina Rubio; "Diego Torres: MTV Unplugged," Diego Torres; "El Rock De Mi Pueblo," Carlos Vives.

Full List Here

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Kanye is so boring. He's everywhere now. Soon he'll fade into the same monotonous career path as Pharell. Who cares about Pharell anymore?

I've never understood the difference between ROTY and SOTY either. I mean, I think I understand that ROTY goes to the artist and SOTY to the writer, but that still doesn't differentiate them. Do ROTY analysts listen to the sound and feel while SOTY analysts look at the lyrics and composition?

Oh well, it's just the Grammys...

Guest Kid Kablam

I was pleasantly suprised that Elvis Costello got a nomination, as it is an underrated album in my opinion. Of course the Grammy commitee's opinion has as much integrity as the Academy's (read: none) and so Elvis hardly needs the recognition, but its still nice to see them at least recognizing him. And thankfully that asshole Toy Keith didn't get a nod. Fucker.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I wonder if they nominated Ray Charles because of the actual album itself or because he's the "hot" name right with the movie and his death.

They do this alot don't they? Nominate dead artists. Ray Charles has craploads of Grammys anyways so I guess they might have actually nominated him on the actual content of album but I'm sure his death and the movie didn't hurt.

Kanye is so boring.  He's everywhere now.  Soon he'll fade into the same monotonous career path as Pharell.  Who cares about Pharell anymore?

So because he gained some popularity, he's boring?

Still stuck in JunioUr High are we?

You people are really trying to tear me down, but it ain't working. I enjoy popular music more than most people here. I don't denounce anything because its "popular". I denounce it usually because its not very good. The album itself was good, but it did not retain my attention for longer than 3 listens. Kanye's busted out like 5-6 videos for this album. Out of his 22 tracks, there's only like 13 actual songs. He's in everyone's video (like Pharell). He's hanging chumming around with Good Charlotte. The over-saturation will ultimately make the masses apathetic towards him, like Pharell.

But it's the Grammys... you can get behind him for something as inconsequential as that, can't you?

I never said I wanted him to lose. I just said he was boring.

Guest Nanks

I reckon Green Day could be a shot to take something home somewhere in there. That new CD is fucking awesome.

Pretty lame, as always. The best set of nominations are probably in Best Dance Recording:

"Good Luck"

Basement Jaxx Featuring Lisa Kekaula

"Get Yourself High"

The Chemical Brothers

"Slow"

Kylie Minogue

"Comfortably Numb"

Scissor Sisters

"Toxic"

Britney Spears

Guest Smues
Song of the Year: "Daughters," John Mayer (John Mayer) "The Reason," Daniel Estrin and Douglas Robb (Hoobastank).

Those are probably the only 2 songs on the whole list that I've heard, but yuck those are considered best songs of the year? uck

Song of the Year: "Daughters," John Mayer (John Mayer)  "The Reason," Daniel Estrin and Douglas Robb (Hoobastank).

Those are probably the only 2 songs on the whole list that I've heard, but yuck those are considered best songs of the year? uck

Dude, its the Grammys.

Wow...I'm surprised at the Best Metal category this year. They're all, shockingly enough, either actual metal, or very close to it (with Hatebreed being generic hardcore, and Slipknot being nu-metal with a VERY heavy thrash and death influence).

Best Hard Rock Performance

(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

• Megalomaniac

Incubus

Track from: A Crow Left Of The Murder

[Epic/Immortal]

• Some Kind Of Monster

Metallica

Track from: Some Kind Of Monster

[Elektra Records]

• Feelin' Way Too Damn Good

Nickelback

Track from: The Long Road

[Roadrunner Records]

• Duality

Slipknot

Track from: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

[Roadrunner Records]

• Slither

Velvet Revolver

[RCA]

I see "Megalomaniac" taking this, considering Velvet Revolver sucks complete balls, Nickelback isn't as big as they used to be, the entire St. Anger album was heralded as terrible by everybody that listened to it BUT James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, and Slipknot didn't do as good as Incubus did (creatively or sales-wise).

Best Metal Performance

(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

• Nymphetamine

Cradle Of Filth

Track from: Nymphetamine

[Roadrunner Records]

• Live For This

Hatebreed

Track from: The Rise Of Brutality

[universal Records]

• The End Of Heartache

Killswitch Engage

Track from: The End Of Heartache

[Roadrunner Records]

• Whiplash

Motörhead

[big Deal Records]

• Vermilion

Slipknot

Track from: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

[Roadrunner Records]

I'm very, VERY peeved by the lack of Shadows Fall on here, since The War Within is better than Killswitch Engage's new album (which goes without saying, since KSE represents everything wrong with metalcore). I could see either Slipknot or Motörhead getting it, since I really can't see Dani Filth at the Grammys, and it's most likely that the people making the decisions at least know who the fuck Motörhead is without having to think too hard (considering they've been one of the premiere heavy acts for the past 30 or so years). Add to that the fact that Hatebreed fucking sucks, and yeah.