TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Interesting matches we've never seen/heard about

Looking at Cawthon's site in the past, I saw results for some unique house show matches that were clearly different than the usual thing the WWF was doing on house shows at the time. Some of these have been discussed on here in the past, but for example, at a MSG house show before the 1994 Royal Rumble:

Owen Hart won a 30-man Royal Rumble match at 1:10:17 by last eliminating Fatu; the last four men in the ring were Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Fatu, and Owen; Michaels eliminated Bret; Owen eliminated Michaels after Razor Ramon came ringside to distract HBK; order of entry: Diesel, Mo, Butch, the 1-2-3 Kid (the Kid suffered a leg injury from his elimination which caused him to miss the PPV Rumble), Scott Steiner, Iron Mike Sharpe, Samu, Bob Backlund, Jeff Jarrett, Virgil, Bam Bam Bigelow, Randy Savage, Adam Bomb, Sgt. Slaughter, Crush, Mabel, Jim Powers, Bastion Booger, Luke, Owen Hart, Rick Martel, Bret Hart, IRS, Johnny Polo, Scott Putski, Fatu, Marty Jannetty, Bart Gunn, Shawn Michaels, and Doink the Clown; the final four men in the ring were Shawn Michaels, Bret, Owen, and Samu; Bret was eliminated after Fatu returned ringside; Michaels was eliminated after Razor Ramon came ringside; after the bout, Bret returned ringside to fight off the Headshrinkers and celebrate Owen's victory

Also, at two MSG shows in 1997:

-The Brooklyn Brawler won a 20-man battle royal to earn a world title shot during the 11/15 MSG event; other participants included: Los Boricuas, DOA, the Truth Commission, Brian Christopher, Scott Taylor, the Headbangers, and the New Blackjacks, among others

-WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels pinned the Brooklyn Brawler at the 15 minute mark with the superkick after interference from Chyna and distraction from Triple H

Are there any other matches from the past (non-televised) that strike you as interesting?

www.thehistoryofwwe.com

A few weeks before forming the Hart Foundation, Bret and Neidhart worked against each other on the house show circuit.

Bret was still babyface. Neidhart was heel, and I believe Fuji was with him at the time. Neidhart won most of the matches.

Guest AdamF
Owen Hart won a 30-man Royal Rumble match at 1:10:17 by last eliminating Fatu; the last four men in the ring were Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Fatu, and Owen; Michaels eliminated Bret; Owen eliminated Michaels after Razor Ramon came ringside to distract HBK; order of entry: Diesel, Mo, Butch, the 1-2-3 Kid (the Kid suffered a leg injury from his elimination which caused him to miss the PPV Rumble), Scott Steiner, Iron Mike Sharpe, Samu, Bob Backlund, Jeff Jarrett, Virgil, Bam Bam Bigelow, Randy Savage, Adam Bomb, Sgt. Slaughter, Crush, Mabel, Jim Powers, Bastion Booger, Luke, Owen Hart, Rick Martel, Bret Hart, IRS, Johnny Polo, Scott Putski, Fatu, Marty Jannetty, Bart Gunn, Shawn Michaels, and Doink the Clown; the final four men in the ring were Shawn Michaels, Bret, Owen, and Samu; Bret was eliminated after Fatu returned ringside; Michaels was eliminated after Razor Ramon came ringside; after the bout, Bret returned ringside to fight off the Headshrinkers and celebrate Owen's victory

I used to have a handheld of thisd entire show. It also included a tag title change as The Quebecers beat the team of Bob Holly and 1-2-3 Kid.

The Royal Rumble (dubbe dthe "New York City Rumble") was actually pretty good, even though the ropes broke towards the end of the match.

That Brawler battle royal win/title shot was actually pretty well known (at least I thought so), because it was stated by Bret Hart that he would actually drop the belt to Brawler on his way out of the WWF if that's what they wanted. Of course, we know how that whole situation turned out.

Yeah, I remember that Brawler show making the rounds back then, it was considered a reward to Lombardi for his years of service. I'd love to find a bootleg of that match with HBK.

Brock Lesnar Vs. HHH sometime in February 2003. HHH jobbed. I would have loved to seen it.

Edit: Thanks Cawthon, I wasn't sure of the date.

Brock Lesnar Vs. HHH sometime in February 2003. HHH jobbed. I would have loved to seen in.

WWE (Raw) @ Sioux Falls, SD - September 6, 2002

WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar pinned Raw World Champion Triple H by avoiding the Pedigree and hitting the F5; only Lesnar's title was on the line

Had Triple H jobbed in February 03, it would have been for the Raw title.

Guest LooneyTune

Agreed, this was a pretty good match. The Kid's injury was weird because his elimination WASN'T that major. He was simply pushed off from the ropes. I'm guessing he got his leg caught or something on the way down or landed on it bad. Wasn't a "Holy Shit" elminiaton bump.

The Steel Cage Gauntlet from the Fall of '84 was pretty unique. Not good, but unique.

They're fairly well-known, but the fancam iron man matches with Bret/Flair and Bret/Owen are very nice. I'm not sure on dates.

Rockers-RocknRoll Express. The dream match that happened too early!

Guest LooneyTune
Is that "New York City Rumble" on tape anywhere... I would love to see Owen again, and win a Rumble match.

Commercial Release: No, it's not.

Hand-Held (taped by someone in the crowd): One of the most popular hand-helds also. Good show overall, although Tatanka/Yokozuna was quite shitty (and too damn long).

Sabu vs. Owen Hart twice in WWF.

Sabu vs. Scotty 2 Hotty in WWF.

Sabu vs. Kama (Godfather) in NWC Las Vegas

Hardyz vs. RVD & Sabu - 2/11/98 All Star Wrestling in North Carolina

Great Sasuke vs. Tiger Mask in ECW

RVD vs. Mustafa Saed of the Gangstas in WCW

Undertaker (Punisher) vs. Stone Cold in USWA

Also from cawthon's site:

WWF @ Chicago, IL - AllState Arena - February 18, 2002 (13,967)

WWF Tag Team Champions Tazz & Spike Dudley defeated Brock Lesnar & Leviathan in a dark match.

It's kind of hard to believe that Brock & Batista once lost to Spike Dudley and a Smackdown announcer. I just quite can't picture how that match would have went.

Guest LooneyTune

LuchaFan: I've seen The Punisher (Undertaker) vs. Steve Williams (Austin's name at the time), and it's a 90 second squash. Still interesting, but I wouldn't bother looking for it.

The Ultimate Warrior main evented in indy show in the summer of 95 against the Honky Tonk Man in Las Vegas. I've heard it was a pretty big indy show with 3,000 people there and some ECW wrestlers on the undercard.

LuchaFan: I've seen The Punisher (Undertaker) vs. Steve Williams (Austin's name at the time), and it's a 90 second squash. Still interesting, but I wouldn't bother looking for it.

I have the match on one of those Austin the early days DVDs (I don't remember which one I have 3 or 4 different ones). It sucks, Taker wins with a leg drop.

WWF @ Barcelona, Spain - Palau Sant Jordi - October 5, 1991 (19,000)

Televised on Tele5

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Paul Roma & Hercules at 10:54 when Michaels pinned Roma with a roll up after Hercules accidentally hit his own partner with the steel chain

The Mountie (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated the Big Bossman via count-out at 9:17 when the Bossman chased Hart up the aisle after hitting the sidewalk slam on the Mountie; after the bout, Bossman assaulted the Mountie with the nightstick

Roddy Piper pinned the Barbarian with a sunset flip at 6:31 (World Tour 1992)

Davey Boy Smith (w/ Andre the Giant) pinned Earthquake with a powerslam at 8:15 after Andre hit Earthquake with one of his crutches (World Tour 1992)

WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom defeated the Nasty Boys

Ric Flair pinned Kerry Von Erich with his feet on the ropes (WWF Wrestling World Tour 1992)

Tito Santana pinned the Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) at 13:53 after escaping from the bodybag, hitting three piledrivers, stealing the urn from Bearer, and hitting Taker with it; after the bout, Santana was interviewed at ringside

Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito!!!

Guest LooneyTune

Wow... Santana actually won a match in 1991 (ignores the shitload of over-the-topness).

Guest Dale Earnhardt

I found it in the discount bin at Wal-Mart. It was a 2 for $5 deal with Foley DVD from USWA. It'll be a joint pack of Austin/Foley DVDs. If you happen to stumble upon it, you'll see that Tony Atlas and the guy who hosts it with him hype Austin/Punisher (Taker) as Austin's first match. Not sure if that's legit or not.

I'll bump this with this match:

WWF @ Houston, TX - Sam Houston Coliseum - June 7, 1987

The One Man Gang defeated Ted Dibiase after Ron Bass interfered

**Dibiase losing to OMG before his return as the Million Dollar Man? I'm guessing he was working babyface here? I just thought it was kind of weird.

First ever Rumble?

WWF @ St. Louis, MO - Arena - October 4, 1987

Nikolai Volkoff pinned Hillbilly Jim

Don Muraco pinned Bob Orton Jr.

The One Man Gang pinned the Junkyard Dog

Davey Boy Smith & Billy Jack Haynes defeated Demolition via disqualification

Billy Jack Haynes defeated King Kong Bundy via count-out

Paul Orndorff defeated Rick Rude via count-out

WWF Women's Champion Sensational Sherri pinned Velvet McIntyre by using the tights for leverage after a crossbody from the challenger resulted in Sherri rolling on top for the win

The One Man Gang won a Royal Rumble when both he and the Junkyard Dog went over the top at the same time after 12 minutes; pre-match stipulations stated the winner would earn a world title shot for the next show in St. Louis on 11/7 but OMG's title shot was announced during intermission, angering fans

Cheers.

Courtesy http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/